PDA

View Full Version : Need the most effective cook pot.

jrnj5k
01-20-2009, 15:44
I did a boil test with 20 oz of water this weekend with a wide base pot that was aluminum and with my titanium mug. I prefer the mug because it is lighter but it took 9mins to bring 20oz to boil versus 8mins with the wide based pot. Are there any mugs out there that are pot shaped? what are my alternatives?

thanks

Smile
01-20-2009, 16:00
It's good that you're testing gear out before you hike, don't forget to cook a few meals too, outside, in bad weather is good too. I'd stick with the mug, multi-functional, Ti is lightweight and you don't need a different shape, cooked food will taste good either way at the end of the day :)

happy hiking and prepping :)

jrnj5k
01-20-2009, 16:10
true but if i can reduce my boil times that means i can reduce my fuel needs and fuel weight can me a great place to shave ounces.

Ender
01-20-2009, 16:12
I don't know about a mug with a wide base... but anything with a wide base is going to be more efficient. I just use a Ti cookpot as both a pot, and as a cup when I want to make a hot drink.

jrnj5k
01-20-2009, 16:13
i just feel like a lot of the flame was climbing up the sides of the mug and thus being wasted.

SASSA-FRAS
01-20-2009, 16:29
jrnj5k-- try making a lid for your mug if it doesn't already have one, water will boil faster when covered. You can use aluminum flashing to make a lid, a piece of scrap wind screen or heavy duty aluminum foil works. Pretty simple and an efficient way to save fuel and weight.

SASSA-FRAS
01-20-2009, 16:33
jrnj5k-- I forgot to mention, take a look at the MSR Titan kettle, it has a wider bottom than a mug and is small enough to use as a mug.

skinewmexico
01-20-2009, 17:39
Try one of those new pots from Primus with the heat exchanger built in on the bottom.

mark schofield
01-20-2009, 18:14
here's a link to the Primus pot that I think Skinewmexico mentioned. Like a Jet Boil pot. I have the same problem with an MSR Superfly and Snow Peak 700 series cook set. The set up is convenient because the stove and fuel canister fit nicely inside the cook set (with a gutter flashing collar). Please post your fix if you find one. Mark S.

http://www.primuscamping.com/product.php?id=26

big_muddy
01-20-2009, 18:34
What type of stove are you using?

I had that problem with my Vargo ti-lite mug (750 ml) looks like the snowpeak 700. I was using a small side jetted alcohol stove. Switching to a top burner alcohol stove did the trick.

A good windscreen also helps a lot.

garlic08
01-20-2009, 18:41
I say go with the pot, the wider bottom is much more efficient. If you want a cup, bring the cheap green plastic one you can get from Campmor, about 1 oz. It fits in the pot and a pepsi can stove fits inside it.

Dogwood
01-20-2009, 22:23
I think that when most hikers start experimenting with different pots/stoves(cooking systems) it's largely, not entirely, but largely boiling(no pun intended) down to a wt. reduction issue. It sounds like that is the case with U. It's great that U R lightening your load. I'm also an ULer. It's a mindset that should be applied to all your gear though. I just say this because I've seen many hikers new to UL cutting off toothbrushes, carefully measuring fuel consumption, leaving stoves at home, using marginally adequate gear, staying cold, etc. all in the name of saving a few oz when they have not focused enough on saving larger amts. of wt. where it is easier to do so like on their packs, shelter, sleeping systems, food, and clothing choices. If U have already minimized wt. in these areas that is great; I commend U. But, if U have not go to those areas of your kit first and reduce their wt. AFTER, U have done that U can start squeezing a few additional ozs. from other areas or pieces of gear. I know all the wt savings add up and perhaps U R an advanced ULer, so if U choose to ignore what I'm saying so be it. Just some things to consider that U might find helpful. OK. Not trying to beat U up.

The most versatile(multi fuel possible, not most versatile feature wise) lightest wt. cheapest stoves I have come across R the homemade alcohol stoves. The hardcore ULers I know use a wide based Ti pot(wide enough to not let flames creep up the sides of the pot) with a cozy made of light wt thin walled flashing, a pot stand made of wire, and a foil lid. They eat with a Lexan, Ti spork, or a piece of a twig. Every piece in their cooking systems is geared toward eliminating wt. Just like U R experimenting with, they have carefully monitored their fuel usage and heat outputs of their cooking systems under a variety of scenarios. It makes no sense to carry a lighter wt. stove, pot, stand(if they carry this stuff at all) if they carry too much fuel. Defeats the purpose!

Hope something good comes out of what I said. And, I certainly don't know it all, or pretend to know what's right for U, or even have the lightest wt cooking system myself. I use a Ti Snow Peak Giga stove, Ti spork, and Snow Peak Solo Ti pot w/ nested Ti cup(when I take the cup). I find this system currently suits my needs, but I've been looking at shallower wider Ti pots lately and converting almost full time to an alcohol stove.

oops56
01-20-2009, 23:19
I can see lite wight but why every thing by it self just weigh the whole pack call it good 15 20 or 30 lb. one of them will be your goal leave it at that

take-a-knee
01-21-2009, 00:04
jrnj5k-- I forgot to mention, take a look at the MSR Titan kettle, it has a wider bottom than a mug and is small enough to use as a mug.

That's my pick also, worth every cent.

theinfamousj
01-21-2009, 01:19
Thirded on the Titan Kettle.

jrnj5k
01-21-2009, 09:27
i use a cat stove. with some aluminum flashing as a heat shield. My mug is a 22oz titanium one not sure which it is.

jrnj5k
01-21-2009, 09:31
i'd be curious to know what kind of rolling boil times you guys get in an uncovered pot full of 20oz of cold sink water without a heat shield. That would be helpful and fun.

nitewalker
01-21-2009, 09:47
a cook pot is a cook pot for the most part but i will honestly say i splurged on a msr titanium pot because of the 1.5oz weight savings...is it really worth it to save the 1.5ozs probably not. go with what you feel is for you........HYOH----------BYOP

nitewalker
01-21-2009, 09:52
I did a boil test with 20 oz of water this weekend with a wide base pot that was aluminum and with my titanium mug. I prefer the mug because it is lighter but it took 9mins to bring 20oz to boil versus 8mins with the wide based pot. Are there any mugs out there that are pot shaped? what are my alternatives?

thanks

not too bust your cashews but 9 min seems to be a real slow boil time. what was the temp outside and what stove did you use? my pocket rocket will boil up water in under four min 98% of the time. so will my jetboil and whisper lite and simmer lite. now my pepsi stove is a little bit slower than the others but im sure it will beat 9 min......:-?

jrnj5k
01-21-2009, 10:10
its a homemade cat stove

Skidsteer
01-21-2009, 17:12
not too bust your cashews but 9 min seems to be a real slow boil time. what was the temp outside and what stove did you use? my pocket rocket will boil up water in under four min 98% of the time. so will my jetboil and whisper lite and simmer lite. now my pepsi stove is a little bit slower than the others but im sure it will beat 9 min......:-?

The difference between a Pepsi stove burn time(5-6 minutes)for a two cup boil and a 9-10 minute boil for slower alcohol stoves is often the amount of fuel consumed by the stove. Putting it another way, do you prefer to use 1/2 oz. of denat per meal or is 1 oz. fine by you?

A longer boil time within reason doesn't bother me much so I carry the slower, more effecient stove designs.

My electric stove at home takes @ 5-6 minutes to boil two cups in my pot. I see no compelling reason to try to match or beat that in the woods when I'm on vacation.

nitewalker
01-22-2009, 09:37
The difference between a Pepsi stove burn time(5-6 minutes)for a two cup boil and a 9-10 minute boil for slower alcohol stoves is often the amount of fuel consumed by the stove. Putting it another way, do you prefer to use 1/2 oz. of denat per meal or is 1 oz. fine by you?

A longer boil time within reason doesn't bother me much so I carry the slower, more effecient stove designs.

My electric stove at home takes @ 5-6 minutes to boil two cups in my pot. I see no compelling reason to try to match or beat that in the woods when I'm on vacation.

thanks skids. i wasnt really trying to compare the different types of fuel and stove combos. i really didnt know that it took 9 min to boil water with any stove thats why i listed all the other stoves as being faster.

i have a ? for ya. can you alter the amount of fuel being consumed by the 2 stoves you mentioned and change the boil time? will adding more holes around the top burn more fuel at a higher temp? im new on the stove making and my first and only pepsi stove boils two cups in 6 min if i remember. last time i used it my pot turned char black, what a time cleaning it.........

Skidsteer
01-22-2009, 11:01
i have a ? for ya. can you alter the amount of fuel being consumed by the 2 stoves you mentioned and change the boil time? will adding more holes around the top burn more fuel at a higher temp? im new on the stove making and my first and only pepsi stove boils two cups in 6 min if i remember. last time i used it my pot turned char black, what a time cleaning it.........

Yes, up to a point.

For a Pepsi stove the easiest way to damp it down is to cut a smaller diameter centerhole rather than cutting out the entire concave bottom as most plans spec.

dash1730
01-24-2009, 19:05
Five years ago I stumbles across Esbit stoves. It is the size of a deck of cards, when collapsed and starts in most any weather. For under $10 and at 10 ounces, you can bring a pot to boil with a tablet at .5 ounce. Although it takes a couple of minutes longer to bring a pot to boil than conventional stoves, that is a small sacrifice for it's near total reliability, utter silence, light weight and compactness. It's hard to beat for backpacking. http://www.rei.com/product/653344 Campmor and others also carry it.

Nevertheless, one guy did try to improve perfection. He made his own stove that weighs less than 1 ounce but uses the tablets. http://www.howardjohnson.name/Backpacking/Stove/Howards_Esbit_Stove_3.0.html#1

dash1730
01-24-2009, 19:20
Dono what happened to that second URL address. Let me try this again, first with the whole thing, and then just before where it started messing up.
http://www.howardjohnson.name/Backpacking/Stove/Howards_Esbit_Stove_3.0.html#1

name/Backpacking/Stove/Howards_Esbit_Stove_3.0.html#1

Summit
01-24-2009, 21:44
i just feel like a lot of the flame was climbing up the sides of the mug and thus being wasted.The FluxRing on the Jetboil mug specifically addresses that and boils two cups (16 oz) in two minutes. Do it twice and you have 32 oz. of boiling hot liquid in half the time of your test. Their group cooking system does 32 oz. at once in 4 minutes and the new Helios system does 32 oz. in 3 minutes.

http://www.jetboil.com/products/cookingsystems/helios