PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on Delorme PN-20 +

Sly
01-20-2009, 16:06
Normally, I recommend Garmin because I have one and it's worked well for me, but I got an email today about the PN-20 with with Topo 7.0 and 1gig SD card and reader.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=27626&section=10106&promotion=9576

ki0eh
01-20-2009, 19:19
Here's my review, that to their credit got someone from DeLorme to contact me:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=471147&postcount=3

The literature for the PN-40 suggests they have corrected many issues. For me, the PN-20 is nice try out of the gate but no cigar.

attroll
01-21-2009, 03:20
Here's my review, that to their credit got someone from DeLorme to contact me:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=471147&postcount=3

The literature for the PN-40 suggests they have corrected many issues. For me, the PN-20 is nice try out of the gate but no cigar.
Wow, sounds like you were unlucky.

I own a PN-20 and absolutely love it. I don't know how you can say that "Topo map software details are lacking compared to the Garmin". The Delorme Topo map software that it comes with blows the Garmin Topo map software away. I have many friends that have Garmins and they tell me that the Delorme Topo map software has far better detail. The main reason I bought my PN-20 if due to the fact that Delorme Topo software is the best on the market in my opinion and no other GPS will incorporate the Delorme maps into their GPS.

I donít know what software you are referring to that takes so much fiddling for you to incorporate things into Google Earth because all it takes is a GPX file to transfer it into a Google Earth file and you can save your data as a GPX file very easily. There should be no fiddling with other software. Just save it as a GPX file.

I also donít know why your PN-20 would accept data until you received a new SD card because mine will accept data without a SD card in it.

You said your batteries were refusing to hold a charge after the first use. Are you sure they were rechargeable batteries because I donít think mine came with rechargeable batteries. I may be wrong though.

The only fault I dislike about my PN-20 is that the map refresh rate is a little slow. I hear the new PN-40 have fixed that issue. I would love to have a PN-40 but cannot justify buying a new one.

Sorry to hear you had so much bad luck with your PN-20.

ki0eh
01-21-2009, 10:38
Hmm, didn't think of that, that a bound set of batteries that say "rechargeable" might not in fact be rechargeable. :) So I put regular AA's in the DeLorme and need to reload twice during the day in field. The Garmin 60CSx and 76CSx on the other hand are two full field days to reload on regular AA's. That's a pretty significant usability difference in my opinion.

I found the software difficult to use, but hey, I'm used to ArcGIS so maybe that caused brain corrosion too.

The maps on the DeLorme device look better than the Garmin MapSource, and are more up to date than the MapSource topo (The Garmin guys seem not to feel like paying the license fees to the car GPS data providers to make the roads on the topo into something reasonable). Until you move to a new position and wait forever for the nicer looking maps to reload. Can't believe the trail routes on either one in the PA backcountry so I'd call the faster reload on the Garmin a usability advance.

In that particular post I forgot to mention the real problem with the PN-20 - its relatively insensitive receiver compared to the Garmin "...x" units. I understand from the ads that the PN-40 has fixed that, but without personal experience can't verify.

The Garmin "x" units will acquire under tree cover on the hood of my pickup while I'm strapping on my pack. For the PN-20, I'm waiting at least 5 if not 10 minutes. Don't start walking impatiently because then it will take a half hour to acquire. I'd call that a significant usability difference too.

Consequently, based on my personal experience using both classes of units, I simply cannot recommend the PN-20 for hiking. I am genuinely sorry to say this and hope the PN-40 is a significantly better unit, as it promises to be.

Sly
01-21-2009, 13:51
The Garmin "x" units will acquire under tree cover on the hood of my pickup while I'm strapping on my pack. For the PN-20, I'm waiting at least 5 if not 10 minutes. Don't start walking impatiently because then it will take a half hour to acquire. I'd call that a significant usability difference too.

Sure, you may be better off with a Garmin X series, but you'd need to spend $400 to get one and the software included in the Delorme package, which says two AA Alkaline included.

That said, a friend used one on the CDT and for the most part was happy. He used a Solio charger. Of course, that trail has a lot more sunlight than the AT.

ki0eh
01-21-2009, 14:25
$240 for Garmin eTrex Vista HCx at Newegg. I haven't used that but someone who does, transferred points to me that fall right in on air photo trail tracks which the PN-20 won't do. Yes software would be extra but you can get a freebie if you're just looking at transferring points to Google Earth.

I do understand needs might differ from mine. If you want a pretty picture get a PN-20, if you want positional accuracy get a Garmin x. :)

Sly
01-21-2009, 14:36
I'm sure you know this but the software in either allows you to import maps. If I turn on either, in say the Weminuche Wilderness in Colorado, I'm looking at topo maps.

You can also download auto routes. With the Delorme it's all in one package. With Garmin, it's Topo and City Navigator.

Some people may not mind paying $400 to get an arguably better GPS and software, while others will take their chances at half the price.

ki0eh
01-21-2009, 14:47
That is a good point that one can download better auto routes into the Garmin. The Garmin topo I used had a metric contour interval too, one can set feet but then the contour numbers are weird so I've just stuck with the metric.

mudhead
01-22-2009, 09:37
How long did it take your mind to adapt to the metric contour?

Is it second nature now, or do you still convert in your head?

ki0eh
01-22-2009, 17:50
It helps that I'm doing the maps for this bunch: http://www.rps.psu.edu/notebook/metric.html (which is also why relatively higher positional accuracy is more important to me than it might be to others)

Sly
01-22-2009, 18:07
If you're hiking a trail where the guidebook is in feet and miles, it hardly make sense to use metric on your GPS. On the otherhand, you could brag about doing 30's everyday.

The Old Fhart
01-23-2009, 08:19
Sly-"If you're hiking a trail where the guidebook is in feet and miles, it hardly make sense to use metric on your GPS. On the otherhand, you could brag about doing 30's everyday."Doing 30s is easy if you're only doing about 1/3 the elevation.:D

dradius
02-02-2009, 14:59
"Great Deal on Delorme PN-20 +"

What was the price on this bundle? It is now showing as "$199.95" which is the regular price. Thanks.

dradius
02-02-2009, 15:30
BTW, Newegg still has the garmin etrex vista hcx for $240 shipped, but unless i'm missing something, wal-mart has it for $196
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=6015174&sourceid=21556587672892932698
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108272

look like the same thing to me (same model numbers in specs)