PDA

View Full Version : Just got my ULA P-2 (LONG!)

dje97001
04-26-2004, 18:34
Well, I just got two (one for me and one for my wife) ULA P-2s in the mail today! They look awesome.

The shoulder straps and the back pad, for comparison-sake seem quite similar to those found on the Gregory Advent Pro Pack (it is like that 3-D mesh netting). The material seems extremely tough... at least it certainly feels tougher than fabric used in packs like the EMS Spire and the aforementioned Advent Pro. The buckles are smooth, simple and look pretty sturdy.

The hipbelt pockets are really neat, and fit my "brick-like" RDC-5000 digital camera without any difficulty (meaning the pockets are somewhere around 6 inches long--although they seem to bulge up to 7in.; they are about 5 inches tall and about 2 inches deep). I got it with the top lid, the hydration sleeve, and the internal-removable mesh pocket.

Although mine is not yet trail tested, it appears to be extremely well put together. I was concerned about being able to accurately judge my own measurements (Brian gives you options in the frame size and the hipbelt size), but based on his directions (on the website) I appear to have chosen the correct size for myself (my wife hasn't gotten home yet, so I don't know about her's).

The side netting pockets (both have drawcords--and are much more realistic than the vapor trail's side pockets for actually holding gear; especially if the pack is full) are not too easily reached with the pack on, but with the hydration sleeve (and ports on both sides-depending which one you choose to drink from), it doesn't seem like you will need to get into them while hiking. A note about the hydration ports, I had previously examined the G and Z pack and if I'm not mistaken, they had simple holes in the material that the tube was supposed to be fit through? This one has a sewn-in flap (of sorts) that seems less prone to water seeping in.

Other thoughts: when I ordered it, I had read about previous reviews of the pack, but since Brian is constantly altering the design, I wasn't sure about a couple of the features. First, I didn't ask for one, but I didn't see the option on the website either... so no surprise I didn't get a built in pack cover. I believe that he has taken this extra weight out of the option pool--but you'd have to ask him to find out. Second, some of the backpackgeartest.org reviews mention drainage holes in the bottom of the pack... it would appear that the 2004 model has elimintated the holes (i.e. mine do not have any).

Keep in mind that the specific options listed in the gear reviews may no longer be standard--or even offered (the "longterm" reviews were written in February and March 2003... meaning the packs were delivered in 2002 to the testers--two years (and models?) ago).

In any case, back to the pack. The hydration sleeve is listed as accomodating most 2Liter bladders, and the internal stash pocket is roughly 7"x6" and is actually seated higher in the pack than I thought (from the few pictures I found online), but again, it looks like a good option. The top lid, certainly isn't necessary, but I'd never had a pack without one, so I wasn't quite ready to give it up yet. Anyway, that is about all I can think of at this point (before walking with it).

Did I mention that the fabric seems really strong--not like the crinkle-ultralite feel of the spire or advent pro? I know I did, but that is the part that surprised me the most. I'll measure anything else on there if anyone is curious. So far I'm thrilled. :cool:

(edited into paragraphs at the Sarge's request--next time I'll organize it better with headings too--sorry I was excited...:jump )

SGT Rock
04-26-2004, 18:39
Good write up, but try some paragraphs. :D

Footslogger
04-26-2004, 18:40
Curious ...what does the P2 weigh now (empty), configured like yours ??

dje97001
04-26-2004, 20:16
Configured as mine is now, it is listed at 53.7 oz. (I don't have a scale accurate enough to verify that). The "extras" I chose weigh in at a cumulative 6.7oz... meaning that the base weight is 47oz. flat.

Streamweaver
04-26-2004, 20:18
Good review!!! Is there any chance that you could post a couple pics of your pack in the gallery?? The pics of the p-2 Ive seen on line wernt all that great. Streamweaver

SGT Rock
04-26-2004, 20:26
Good edit :D

dje97001
04-27-2004, 23:34
My member picture library now has pictures of the P-2. I put them in Other Galleries > Gear; or you can look in my member gallery. Just let me know what you think of them, or if you want a different angle/focus.

Streamweaver
04-28-2004, 08:43
Dje, Thanks alot for for posting the pics!! They really seem to have put some work (and thought) into that pack!! Just one question-Is the top lid pocket removable?? Streamweaver

dje97001
04-29-2004, 08:02
Yeah, actually, you don't need to even buy it. It costs an extra $22 and weighs more, so if you are comfortable hiking without a top lid, your bag should resemble the middle of the top stages (photo in gallery) when closed. But, it is also removable and can be converted into a day/fanny pack (thanks to the removable hipbelt.. which is removed from the pack and then used on the lid as a hipbelt). It is a nice option, but it does add to the cost and weight, so it really isn't necessary.

Brian has more info about the optional components at: www.ula-equipment.com

-at some point I'll set up the fanny pack (just for kicks) and then I'll post a picture of it too.

ABN-Sapper
05-14-2004, 09:35
I also recently bought a new P-2. To date, I've only had a chance to do some short day hikes with it. I loaded about 35 lbs in it for these "test runs", (much more than I normally carry), and was really impressed with the way it carries under that load. I'm going to do the GSMNP in June with it, and will post my impressions. Initial thoughts are that the pack will perform exceptionally.

As far as the weight of the pack, Brian clearly lists the weights of the base pack and all of the options on his web site. I found the listed weight to be extremely accurate. I weighed mine on a digital scale that measures to 4 decimal points, and found that my pack was .4432 of an ounce lighter than the advertized weight.

fuzz
05-15-2004, 00:20
I've had a P2 pack for a couple months so far. It's a great pack. The hip pockets are super convenient. And like DJE said, the side hydration pockets are hard to reach with the pack on, but it's not a big deal if you are using a hydration system. The pack puts about 35 percent of the weight on the shoulders, which isn't something I am crazy about, but most people won't notice. With about 25 to 30 pounds in the pack it was something I noticed after a few hours. But to add the extra weight to give a beefy suspension would negate some of the benefits of a lightweight pack, so it's a tradeoff. This is my first lightweight pack, so I'm adjusting. Mine came with overkill fabric, the hip pockets, the detachable lid, hydration pockets, shock cords, and the internal stash pocket and weighed in at 50 ounces. Overall, I'm very happy with the pack and it seems like it will stand up well to wear and tear on the trail.

Has anyone tried out the ULA fusion pack yet?

dje97001
05-16-2004, 20:47
So I just got back from a full day on and around Mt. Monadnock. The pack was awesome. My pack+gear only weighed around 22 lbs (which is lighter than it would be fully outfitted (goal of 29lbs.)) but was no trouble to lift/carry. My legs are tired now, but my back and shoulders feel great. Also, even though my pack wasn't completely full, it didn't feel unstable due to the variety of compression straps Brian has included in the pack design. I should also point out that my wife really enjoyed the pack too.

Another note: The hydration sleeve is listed as being able to hold a 2 liter bladder. I went to EMS, filled up a 3 liter and stuck it in... no problems. And we ended up using a 3 liter camelback Omega resevoir each today, again, no problems. I think his 2 liter estimate is conservative.

I am extremely satisfied with this purchase. This pack is the best.

fantasmagris
05-16-2004, 21:55
I own two. First one bought few years ago when first came out. Is my fave pack. IMO Best thing about this pack aside from fit, support and hipbelts is ability to shrink down and use as a day/summit pack. Just the right blend of comfort/structure/weight/size. My first generation (w/o all spectra) w/o lid weighs only 2.4 lbs but comfortably supports 30lb loads. hipbelts and mesh pockets side and front make it much better/more convenient than Vapor Trail type "sack" packs IMO.

Gris