PDA

View Full Version : Use a Platypus to heat up water

Manwich
01-20-2009, 18:56
I know you can boil water using a platypus by suspending it over a fire, but this effectively ruins the bag. Anybody ever wrap a platypus (or poland spring water bottle) in tin foil and put it near or over a fire?

WritinginCT
01-20-2009, 19:21
You could always just drop hot rocks in it like the Native Americans did. I love freaking people out when camping by fishing out a hot rock out of coals and dropping in my tea/coffee to warm it back up.

daddytwosticks
01-20-2009, 20:06
Survivor Man can do it...:)

Egads
01-20-2009, 20:39
Platys are fragile enough as is, why screw one up on purpose?:confused:

bulldog49
01-21-2009, 00:25
I know you can boil water using a platypus by suspending it over a fire, but this effectively ruins the bag. Anybody ever wrap a platypus (or poland spring water bottle) in tin foil and put it near or over a fire?

Why would anyone want or need to do this? :confused:

You don't carry a pot or a cup?

Serial 07
01-21-2009, 01:00
or a sigg bottle...

sarbar
01-21-2009, 17:00
or a sigg bottle...
If the Sigg bottle is lined, don't use it on heat. They are not supposed to be used on a fire.

Now, the stainless steel ones, sure! Klean Kanteen ones work great :)

Slo-go'en
01-21-2009, 18:24
If your careful, you can boil water in a paper cup. But in plastic? Possable, but very risky. The problem is plastic is a pretty good insulator, so the water can't remove the heat applied to the plastic fast enough to keep it cool enough to keep it from melting. The heat source would have to be well removed from the plastic, in which case it would take a very long time to get the water hot.

neighbor dave
01-21-2009, 19:13
:-?if i line my sleeping bag with tinfoil can i keep a fire going in it in the footbox area safely?? :jump

Manwich
01-21-2009, 21:44
:-?if i line my sleeping bag with tinfoil can i keep a fire going in it in the footbox area safely?? :jump

http://www.lesstroudonline.com/blog/index.php?paged=2

I was able to purify the stream water by boiling it in the plastic water bladder I came out with.

It is possible, i've seen it done. I figure the temperature of the plastic would roughly be +/- 20 degrees of what the water is, hotter obviously on the outer layer. Since the water will never reach the melting point of plastic, it won't melt... but the outside-layer could possibly get a hotspot and expand/pinhole or char. I figure tin-foil could distribute the heat slightly more evenly and stave off an extreme-heatwave.

Yes, you can wrap your sleeping bag in tinfoil and put it near a fire... but the insulation will prevent the heat from getting to you and will melt the outside. I wouldn't recommend this, but let me know how it works.

kytrailman
01-23-2009, 10:16
Why u would want to do that- I am not sure---But iI have seen it done in a 20 oz. bottle over a fire. Totally disfigured the bottle, so I am sure it released something bad into the water. Survivorman on TV did it. Kind of Corny if you ask me, unless that is last resort, at which point I would prolly save the platy to fill up and drink dirty water.

hootyhoo
03-03-2009, 20:26
Survivor man - He sucks. Too fake. The yuppy survivor show.
Heated rocks can explode when thrown in liquid - trust me on that or ask BoBo - he can tell ya what I did.
Also - are'nt there some minerals that would not be good to drink.
http://pjentoft.com/f-55-TOXIC-STONES.html

Better know your stones.

WritinginCT
03-03-2009, 21:13
Living in CT I see a lot of granite- never had a problem with heating up rocks and dropping them in liquid (and I've been doing that since I was a wee brownie). And you should only be using small acorn size rocks at the biggest.

JaxHiker
03-04-2009, 10:24
Um, yeah. Beats Bear Grylls: Hotel Man.

Manwich
03-05-2009, 13:12
Heated rocks can explode when thrown in liquid - trust me on that or ask BoBo - he can tell ya what I did.
Also - are'nt there some minerals that would not be good to drink.
http://pjentoft.com/f-55-TOXIC-STONES.html

Better know your stones.

Hootyhoo please know what you're talking about before you come out preaching about things you're obviously clueless on. 99% of the rocks you find up in the mountains will be perfectly suitable, but yeah, don't put anything that's shiny in your water.

Besides that, Rocks won't explode when thrown in liquid, unless there is already liquid (or metals) inside the rock, in which case, you're lucky the rock didn't explode when you were heating it up (where the shrapnel would have scarred your face.)

Don't use rocks that see water submersion from time to time (they retain water and when heated, the water inside "boils" and will blow the rock to smithereenies.)

Tinker
03-05-2009, 19:22
The "exploding rock" thing is mainly a word of advice for folks building fire rings to not use rocks out of stream beds. A lot of these rocks are sedimentary and can absorb water, which, when heated can expand, causing the rocks to explode. If the rocks have been in a campfire and haven't exploded, they won't when you put them in water - the heat will keep water from soaking into them until they cool down. :)