PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP and Cell Phone Service

l0ngterm
01-20-2009, 20:45
Anyone have luck with Sprint mobile phone service on the AT in GSMNP?

thanks,

l0ngterm

geeselight
01-20-2009, 20:50
The only place I had service (I only checked a few places) was in a clearing between thunderhead and spence field. Closer to spence field.

Bulldawg
01-20-2009, 20:52
I have Nextel service on the TN side of the ridge from Newfound to ALMOST Icewater Springs.

Hikes in Rain
01-20-2009, 21:00
I'm with Alltell, but I had sporadic service most of the way through. texting pretty much all the time, and able to get short voice calls out at various places, even if it meant standing out in a 30+ mph wind at 8* at Russel Field shelter. Man, that was about as cold as I've ever been!

If you're checking in with the significant other, as I was, just make sure she understands you may or may not be able to make connection. And that there are fellow hiker friends you haven't met yet who are ready and able to help. A fellow hiker met me at the shelter gate with a hot cup of tea when I got out of the wind. Bless his heart!

joshua5878
01-20-2009, 21:12
But in Cherokee, I had adequate servie. NC side.

kytrailman
01-21-2009, 08:16
ATT-- Sporadic through the park. A little bit both north and south of the Gap.

Worldwide
01-21-2009, 11:42
You can get service by most carriers on Rockytop, and also when you are just South of Clingman's you cross a hog fence (metal grate ramp)

CaptChaos
01-22-2009, 01:01
I have never had much luck with a cell in the Smokies while hiking. About the only place that I can ever call my wife is in the open area, the grassy field before you get to Spence Field Shelter. I am talking about the trail to Spence where it opens up with some small trees and grass.

There is a rock that if I stand on it then my cell phone will work for about 30 seconds which gives me enough time to tell her that I made it.

Last year I had a nextel phone with me and it seemed to work a little better at keeping the conection open but I still had to go to the open area to get a call.

To be honest, you really are just packing extra weight that will not do you any good and in most cases if you really needed to use then then it would most likely fail.

Chappy
01-24-2009, 05:22
Can't depend on cell service. In my capacity as a Park Ranger we even have difficulty with our mobile radios while in the backcountry.

nchiker
02-09-2009, 20:29
trackphone worked pretty well for me most of the time

Mongoose2
02-10-2009, 12:45
Longterm

I had roaming service with Sprint about 50% of the time when I hiked from Clingman's to Fontana......