PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a Benefit?

Brett
01-20-2009, 23:00
Just curious...has anyone ever hiked for a benefit? Where you got sponsored by some local organization and they got people to pledge a certain amount of money per mile you hiked, to go to a benefit of some sort?

Hooch
01-20-2009, 23:10
Crescent City did in '06 for her site, Hike For KaTREEna (http://www.hikeforkatreena.com/).

Serial 07
01-20-2009, 23:28
http://trekkingforacause.com

my man hell on bad wheels (aka bad news on the move) did it last year for Gilda's Club...raised over $25,000... :banana

KG4FAM
01-20-2009, 23:34
I hiked with a guy a few days back in 06 that was hiking for a benefit. He only made it to somewhere in Virginia (Waynesboro area I think). I guess it is good motivation to keep going, but it would suck if you made a bunch of promises and couldn't follow through.

snowhoe
01-20-2009, 23:51
KG4FAM, Do you remember who it was? Was he hiking for some heart cause?

KG4FAM
01-20-2009, 23:54
KG4FAM, Do you remember who it was? Was he hiking for some heart cause?I will PM you.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 14:38
Hiking for a cause you believe in is fantastic. Hiking for a random cause just to get your trip paid for....not so much. But if you are really looking for a good cause may I suggest "Rockhounds' Home for Wayward Teenage Girls"?

Mercy
01-21-2009, 15:56
I thought the idea of hiking for a benefit was the benefit of the charity, not the support of the hiker.

If you aren't raising money for yourself, ask if businesses/individuals will pledge an amount to contribute to <insert your favorite charity> if you complete the hike. Give them a stamped envelope with a donation form. Tell them how few of the numbers of people who start actually finish.

Then, periodically, keep them informed of your progress. If you are really committed to the charity, the businesses will often contribute their donation even if you don't finish.

MOWGLI
01-21-2009, 16:01
Just curious...has anyone ever hiked for a benefit? Where you got sponsored by some local organization and they got people to pledge a certain amount of money per mile you hiked, to go to a benefit of some sort?

Susan Baxley & Andy Grizzell did a hike last year for the Great Eastern Trail (http://www.greateasterntrail.net/) and raised over $2000. Read about it at the link below;

http://get.chattablogs.com/archives/2009/01/susan_and_andy.html

That was some really important funding for this new trail system. If anyone is interested in doing another hike for the Great Eastern Trail, I know it would be gratefully appreciated. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the officers of the Great Eastern Trail Association.

Mags
01-21-2009, 16:24
Along the lines of what Mowgli said, I'd love to see more charity hikes being done for trails orgs..or even the trail itself.

Hiking for a cause is great. Hiking for the AT (or PCT,CDT, Colo Trail, etc.) and donating the money to the trail org itself would be quite cool. :)

Live the Journey
01-21-2009, 16:25
Also, check out the book "a Walk for Sunshine"

I'm thinking about walking for a local charity, but don't know how to get started...if anyone has suggestions or first steps to take, please PM me. Thanks for getting this thread started!

ki0eh
01-21-2009, 16:33
You could always do such a hike ON the GET and be the first to do so! (Think instant Earl Shaffer-dom. :) )

garlic08
01-21-2009, 16:48
Pickle hiked the AT a second time in '08 to raise money for ALS and breast cancer research. I walked with him and supported the cause where I could. We did it by just emailing friends, and got a good response. We also got a few donations along the trail from section hikers and townspeople we met. We printed business cards free through VistaPrint, passed them around. Actual donations as of the end of '08 were over $15,000, actually a few hundred dollars above pledges received. It felt great counting kachings! with every mile, something to tally up at the end of a long day. It was also good knowing we were raising more money than we were spending!

Brett
01-21-2009, 21:02
I thought the idea of hiking for a benefit was the benefit of the charity, not the support of the hiker.

I already have all of my gear and finances prepared. Im not looking to have my trip payed for by someone else or to make a buck so i have a cushion when i get back. I dont worry about such things, I have what God provides for me when He sees it fit.

I have emailed the local boy scout council, which is what ive always felt strongly about helping out. I was in scouting my entire youth from tiger cubs all the way up to eagle scout in my 18th year of life( yeah i barely skidded by with my eagle project right before my birthday!) Anyway, i sent out some email to the local council to see if they wanted to get the local troops to do the leg work on getting pledges. Basically i wouldnt have any part other than doing the hike and maybe going to talk to some of the boys before and after the hike.

I just think it would be awesome if i could use this for more than just my personal spiritual journey.:sun

Brett
01-21-2009, 21:08
I'm thinking about walking for a local charity, but don't know how to get started...if anyone has suggestions or first steps to take, please PM me. Thanks for getting this thread started!

my mom first said to get sponsored by a local group, for example: the towns "women's club" or Lions Club or the Moose Lodge... meaning groups that from time to time are involved in fundraising and whatnot for things or people locally that do need help. Not only do they have the experience but they would most likely do all the work as far as getting the word out and getting pledges/donations. Like i said previously I chose the Boy Scouts because i was involved my whole youth and realize how life shaping this organization can be for the kids involved.

Grumpy
01-21-2009, 21:27
I am hiking as a fund raiser for the Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org (http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org)) . 100% of all monies go to the charity... I am hiking regardless and wouldn't accept support even if offered by the WWP. As a retired soldier I am simply taking a planned part of my life and using it to raise some funds for what I consider a very worthy charity. I suppose the fact folks are donating on my behalf is a little more encouragement to keep moving on the bad days but I am pretty comfortable with my self drive to keep me going through it all. Only time will tell how far I get but regardless the charity wins...

garbanz
01-21-2009, 22:09
Im an outdoor person who hikes for the enjoyment of being outdoors and for the physical benefit.

Tin Man
01-21-2009, 22:14
Im an outdoor person who hikes for the enjoyment of being outdoors and for the physical benefit.

That's why they hike. It is purely a selfish cause. They just are trying to make themselves sound noble... or something. :rolleyes:

TMOV: Their mileage obviously varies. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mercy
01-21-2009, 22:51
Perhaps some really are noble... and its not purely a selfish cause.

Brett, I didn't mean to imply that you were seeking support, merely answering the post above mine that equated hiking for a benefit with support of the hiker. I hope you can meet with some of the boy scouts before the hike, and keep them abreast of your progress. You are sure to peak a little interest in, or at least provide a little education about the AT.

Go Brett!

Brett
01-21-2009, 23:10
Perhaps some really are noble... and its not purely a selfish cause.

Brett, I didn't mean to imply that you were seeking support, merely answering the post above mine that equated hiking for a benefit with support of the hiker. I hope you can meet with some of the boy scouts before the hike, and keep them abreast of your progress. You are sure to peak a little interest in, or at least provide a little education about the AT.

Go Brett!

thanx mercy, i assumed you didnt mean that, just had to clarify the fact that i am looking to do this for a completely unselfish reason. Regardless you still have some, like the self proclaimed heartless above, who have nothing better to do than say something negative about people who do have hearts and actually have an urge to give to others. Thanx again for the encouragement! GTHTM :D

Tin Man
01-21-2009, 23:42
I ain't heartless. I help raise money for local causes all the time, but I draw the line at asking to support (or watch) me or others take a vacation. We provide a product or a service for the money we ask for, not a trip report.
Like I said, your mileage may vary. Put me down for $0.

JAK
01-22-2009, 09:36
When I was a kid walkathons were quite popular, and they were 26 miles. I did two of them, one from Niagara Falls to Niagara-On-The-Lake and back when I was about 8, and the other here in Saint John around Rockwood Park when I was about 10. We didn't finish either but got about 3/4 of the way both times, and were sponsored 1-2 cents per mile, sometimes a nickel. Collecting the money afterwards wasn't as much fun. The oldest in our group both times was only about 12, but there were 100s of kids involved. Different world today though I suppose. Good memories both hikes. Today people would likely have serious issues with having that many kids walking on the sides of roads without adult supervision, or walking 26 miles in a day. Sad. because I have great memories of both trips, and a feeling of accomplishment even though we had to quit because it was getting dark. No idea what the charity was.

shelterbuilder
01-22-2009, 09:57
There's a fellow who's doing this THIS YEAR. His brother was murdered (last year, I think) while a student at Kutztown University (between Allentown and Reading, Pa.), and he's raising money for a memorial scholarship in his brother's memory. I wish I could remember the guy's name, but it escapes me....

berninbush
01-22-2009, 10:10
I help raise money for local causes all the time, but I draw the line at asking to support (or watch) me or others take a vacation. We provide a product or a service for the money we ask for, not a trip report.

I work in the nonprofit world. The whole idea of a fundraiser is that the monetary value of what you are providing to your donors is significantly less than the value of what they're giving you. If it's not, then they're not donors... they're customers. When I buy a $1.00 bar of chocolate from a schoolkid, I know that it's probably only costing the school a few cents and the rest is pure profit to them, and that I could buy a similar quality product for far less at the grocery store-- and I'm ok with that, because it's not about the chocolate, it's about supporting the school.

Any fundraiser is in some sense a "stunt"-- doing something creative to encourage people to quit procrastinating supporting something they want to support anyway. If watching someone else walk 2,000 miles does that for some people, all the better. Some folks really enjoy those trip reports.

Have a great hike and I hope you raise lots for the Boy Scouts. :)

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 10:28
I work in the nonprofit world. The whole idea of a fundraiser is that the monetary value of what you are providing to your donors is significantly less than the value of what they're giving you. If it's not, then they're not donors... they're customers. When I buy a $1.00 bar of chocolate from a schoolkid, I know that it's probably only costing the school a few cents and the rest is pure profit to them, and that I could buy a similar quality product for far less at the grocery store-- and I'm ok with that, because it's not about the chocolate, it's about supporting the school.

Any fundraiser is in some sense a "stunt"-- doing something creative to encourage people to quit procrastinating supporting something they want to support anyway. If watching someone else walk 2,000 miles does that for some people, all the better. Some folks really enjoy those trip reports.

Have a great hike and I hope you raise lots for the Boy Scouts. :)

Yep. We don't raise much for scouts, mostly for sports programs that are underfunded in our town. We generally resell donations of services (time) or stuff that would be discarded (day old bread, silent auctions, dead christmas tree hauling, etc.) or selling burgers and dogs at a sports event or just hold a out a hat (this gets the folks who feel bad about voting down the tax increases). And we don't disguise it in 'oh, look at me suffer for this charity' crap or for self-serving vacations or for voyeurs. This has been discussed at length in our community and this is our approach that works for us. Like I said, your mileage my vary.

berninbush
01-22-2009, 11:04
I guess it's a matter of approach and perspective. I've participated in walk-a-thons before (as a volunteer, never for the organization I work for) and I never approached it as "I'm going to be suffering for charity." I enjoy walking and have no problem saying so. Most people consider walk-a-thons "fun." At the same time, there's a level of effort involved that shows you are serious about wanting to support the charity-- it's more inspirational than someone standing on a street corner with a bucket. That seriousness is matched by the seriousness of people who are willing to give money.

I don't consider reading someone else's trail journal "voyeuristic" either. It's just good entertainment.

Certainly, anyone who hikes the AT for charity should be honest about it if it's something they wanted to do anyway. There's no need to make themselves out to be some kind of martyr to win people's support. You'd have to be insane to choose that method of fundraising if hiking the AT *wasn't* a life-long dream for you.

Pickleodeon
01-22-2009, 11:36
Dennis Quinn is raising money for his brother's scholarship fund this year.

www.trailjournals.com/dennisquinn (http://www.trailjournals.com/dennisquinn)

He and his brother were planning to hike the AT together, but his brother was tragically killed last year. Now Dennis is doing it in his brother's memory.

max patch
01-22-2009, 12:01
Hiking with benefits is the goal of all pink blazers.

garlic08
01-22-2009, 12:30
I hiked a few days with a section hiker from NYC who had all sorts of pledges for a single 50-mile day anytime in his hike (NY to ME). I got the impression it was mainly the result of a drunken bar bet with a bunch of rich friends that took an altruistic turn. He made an insane amount of money for a charity on that one day, thousands of dollars. I saw him do it (took only 17 hours), helped him take care of his feet afterwards, and was really impressed with what he did.

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 13:08
One day walk-a-thons are one thing. Spending thousands to hike the AT for charity is something else. But, hey, guess it's just me. Walk on. :)

Brett
01-23-2009, 01:17
One day walk-a-thons are one thing. Spending thousands to hike the AT for charity is something else. But, hey, guess it's just me. Walk on. :)

Tin man if you wanna post negative comments towards what im trying to do, which is turn my vacation, yah i said it, into something more than just that, then go ahead. Freedom of speech permits that. Youve earned that right by being a citizen of this wonderful country. Who said they have to pledge thousands? People can pledge a penny a mile if they want to, which is still a HUGE donation. And still a far cry from thousands. I find it hard to believe that someone who is always doing good deeds for his community by contributing help and donations or whatever else you do, would be so negative towards another person trying to do the same thing. This is my first step towards a lifetime of aid and commitment toward a organization i feel very strongly about. All Im trying to do is get my feet wet. Im not asking for a lot, just ideas, direction and moral support. Thank you for reminding me of how NOT to be. I hope others read this and think the same way about you. You have served a great purpose here! God bless you and keep up the good work.

Tin Man
01-23-2009, 07:36
Tin man if you wanna post negative comments towards what im trying to do, which is turn my vacation, yah i said it, into something more than just that, then go ahead. Freedom of speech permits that. Youve earned that right by being a citizen of this wonderful country. Who said they have to pledge thousands? People can pledge a penny a mile if they want to, which is still a HUGE donation. And still a far cry from thousands. I find it hard to believe that someone who is always doing good deeds for his community by contributing help and donations or whatever else you do, would be so negative towards another person trying to do the same thing. This is my first step towards a lifetime of aid and commitment toward a organization i feel very strongly about. All Im trying to do is get my feet wet. Im not asking for a lot, just ideas, direction and moral support. Thank you for reminding me of how NOT to be. I hope others read this and think the same way about you. You have served a great purpose here! God bless you and keep up the good work.

how much you spending on your vacation?

if i have a few extra dollars after MY vacation, where do i send my check? :)

FireInk
01-23-2009, 23:38
I gave a guy a ride from harpers ferry this past fall that was hiking for the rotary club. He was getting pledges and hiking for polio. Im not sure how far he hiked, but i think he was out for about a month.

windex
01-24-2009, 01:16
Try checking out my journal www.trailjournals.com/windex
I did my hike for autoimmune disease research, since my sister had passed from lupus a few years before. It was a very personal journey.

Jort
01-24-2009, 07:30
We are 3 brothers who are gonna hike the trail for charity. You can read about it at: www.bergopbergaf.nl

Atm it looks like we're gonna end up around 25k $

Marta
01-24-2009, 07:41
Jan Liteshoe's ('03) hike was partly a fund-raiser for Hospice. She was planning to hike anyway, for personal reasons, and paid all the expenses of the trip herself. Anyone who was moved to donate money sent it directly to Hospice. (You can read about her hike, and her fundraising efforts, on trailjournals.com, in one of the best journals on there.)

To me there's a huge, huge difference between raising money for a cause and diverting some of it to fund your hike (not cool), and doing what Jan did (cool).

Basically, someone who writes well can attract a certain amount of attention by doing something unusual, which hiking the AT is in just about any circle but Whiteblaze. You can use that soapbox in various ways, one of which is to direct people's attention to organizations they might not have paid attention, and money, to before.

Tin Man
01-24-2009, 08:21
Jan Liteshoe's ('03) hike was partly a fund-raiser for Hospice. She was planning to hike anyway, for personal reasons, and paid all the expenses of the trip herself. Anyone who was moved to donate money sent it directly to Hospice. (You can read about her hike, and her fundraising efforts, on trailjournals.com, in one of the best journals on there.)

To me there's a huge, huge difference between raising money for a cause and diverting some of it to fund your hike (not cool), and doing what Jan did (cool).

Basically, someone who writes well can attract a certain amount of attention by doing something unusual, which hiking the AT is in just about any circle but Whiteblaze. You can use that soapbox in various ways, one of which is to direct people's attention to organizations they might not have paid attention, and money, to before.

Now this is an approach that I can support. People who are carefull how they present their charity hike and continue with a respectable journal should do well. Thanks for sharing Marta. :cool:

John B
01-24-2009, 12:50

Exactly, exactly, exactly. I certainly don't want 50% of whatever I donate (or any percentage, for that matter) going to support somone's good-times vacation, leaving whatever is left for the charitable cause.

berninbush
01-24-2009, 15:31
Now this is an approach that I can support. People who are carefull how they present their charity hike and continue with a respectable journal should do well. Thanks for sharing Marta. :cool:

I don't get it... how is that different from what Brett is doing???

JAK
01-24-2009, 16:10
I'm an outdoor person who hikes for the enjoyment of being outdoors and for the physical benefit.

That's why they hike. It is purely a selfish cause. They just are trying to make themselves sound noble... or something. :rolleyes:

TMOV: Their mileage obviously varies. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I hike for much the same reason,
but I also think it might be a form of worship that might get me to heaven someday.

Then again, my mileage may vary. ;)

JAK
01-24-2009, 16:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQQOxIZNQ4

Theres a lady whos sure
All that glitters is gold
And shes buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and shes buying a stairway to heaven.

Theres a sign on the wall
But she wants to be sure
cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook
Theres a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.

Theres a feeling I get
When I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who standing looking.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And its whispered that soon
If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter.

If theres a bustle in your hedgerow
Dont be alarmed now,
Its just a spring clean for the may queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
Theres still time to change the road youre on.
And it makes me wonder.

Your head is humming and it wont go
In case you dont know,
The pipers calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow,
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How evrything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And shes buying a stairway to heaven.

JAK
01-24-2009, 16:20
continued...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFa3u189IhU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7F0snMDQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuSihWz7LlQ

JAK
01-24-2009, 16:32
And here's our wee Led Zepplin freak playing Bron-yr-aur :)
which is the name of the cottage in Wales were they started the Stairway.

Bron-yr-aur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJumP5Qb6s

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 16:35
I am often skeptical when I hear about "charity hikes."

All too often, it's a way for someone to pay for their trip, and whatever's left, if anything, allegedly goes to the charity.

In re. to Post #35, above, more power to these guys. I'm familiar with the World Society for the Protection of Animals, and years ago, met their long time International Projects Director, John Walsh. This is a totally above-board, totally legit, totally wonderful organization, and if these guys are hiking to help them out, well more power to 'em. You couldn't find a more worthy charity.

JAK
01-24-2009, 16:44
Finally, the connection back to Appalchia, where this tune was finished being recorded...

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zISiQ6PqATI

"There ain't no companion like a blue-eyed Merle"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BorderColliePupTheEye_wb.jpg

hypo-allergenic?
Makes me wonder :D

Jort
01-24-2009, 17:43
I am often skeptical when I hear about "charity hikes."

All too often, it's a way for someone to pay for their trip, and whatever's left, if anything, allegedly goes to the charity.

In re. to Post #35, above, more power to these guys. I'm familiar with the World Society for the Protection of Animals, and years ago, met their long time International Projects Director, John Walsh. This is a totally above-board, totally legit, totally wonderful organization, and if these guys are hiking to help them out, well more power to 'em. You couldn't find a more worthy charity.

We went to WSPA - Holland with our idea to hike the AT and try and raise some money for their organization. We meet them often to discus the project. We have a contract with them, one they make with everyone helping out, and it says we can - if we want to - use 25% of the money we raise for our project/ the hike. We will only do so if we need to, but as for now havent. We're also buying our own gear etc.

I do however know how much time it takes to get sponsors, build a website, have meetings, organize site-projects ( we did a 10x10 km run, a spinningmarathon, a concert, gonna run half a marathon and more). I can understand that if you put so many hours a week into getting money for charity you could end up needing to use a bit on your hike. I wont feel ashamed if we have to. I know that if we didnt put all this time into this - for us - huge project, no money at all would have been raised.

I think its for one very important to be honest about it up front though. We make no secret about the fact that we can - if we have to - use 25% of what people give to our project, for the hike itself.

Tin Man
01-24-2009, 19:39
I don't get it... how is that different from what Brett is doing???

Perhaps it is not different. It just took him a while to spit it out. I merely tried to point out some things to be careful about when he presents it to others. :D

Seriously, I have been there before where the whole charity/vacation thing has seriously back-fired on some folks, some of whom still don't get it and what got me going here. Sounds like Brett does get it and I did not mean to pick on him so much as point out the problems with charity hikes in general. Keep the gift-giving connection very visibly above-board, separate from any personal addressing or whatever, and things should be fine.

Best wishes to Brett and other charity hikes. Hike on.

Brett
01-24-2009, 23:55
Perhaps it is not different. It just took him a while to spit it out. I merely tried to point out some things to be careful about when he presents it to others. :D

Seriously, I have been there before where the whole charity/vacation thing has seriously back-fired on some folks, some of whom still don't get it and what got me going here. Sounds like Brett does get it and I did not mean to pick on him so much as point out the problems with charity hikes in general. Keep the gift-giving connection very visibly above-board, separate from any personal addressing or whatever, and things should be fine.

Best wishes to Brett and other charity hikes. Hike on.

Thank you.