PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend N.P. Texas opportunity March 1

ednotmilkman
01-21-2009, 04:37
Hi, if anyone is close enough, or otherwise has a will and a way; I'm going to be in Big Bend national park starting March 1 for a few days of exploring. I'm signed up for a group basecamp trip with the Sierra Club but have time to do up to 4 nights more on my own. I posted this trip on

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trips/trip/1659.php

for more details. Check it out and send a note if you're available.

Edwin

skinewmexico
01-21-2009, 10:44
The local paper had an article about bears eating shoes in unoccupied camps in the Chisos, so take precautions.

ednotmilkman
01-21-2009, 23:26
yeah skiNM, I read that on the nps bigbend website. I'm not planning to do any dayhiking with my tent set up in camp. They have bear boxes at all backcountry sites in the Chisos high country for your food, and I'm hoping shoes will fit if you can stand the smell next to your food. Not sure what to do with the camp shoes that are needed for those late night "relief" trips? Just leave them outside with your boots I guess and let'em taste 'um without tearing up the tent, or tarp in this case.

My sister's trail name could be "SkiApache" if she had one since she goes there (from near Uvalde, TX) about 3 times a year.

The Will
01-22-2009, 03:17
Wish I could. BB is one of my favorite places on the globe and I've never been in spring, only over winter. Are you very familiar with the park or may I recommend a trip?

Mariscal Canyon. The rim. Outstanding in so many ways and you'll have it all to yourself.

The Chisos are a big draw--understandably so. But it is a desert park. I feel so many visitors miss the substance of the place. Just my personal experience and this in no way reflects on anyone else's choosen itinerary.

Truly a gem of the park sys. and the continent for that matter.

The Will
01-22-2009, 03:35
Wish I could. BB is one of my favorite places on the globe and I've never been in spring, only over winter. Are you very familiar with the park or may I recommend a trip?

Mariscal Canyon. The rim. Outstanding in so many ways and you'll have it all to yourself.

The Chisos are a big draw--understandably so. But it is a desert park. I feel so many visitors miss the substance of the place. Just my personal experience and this in no way reflects on anyone else's choosen itinerary.

Truly a gem of the park sys. and the continent for that matter.

addict
01-22-2009, 11:05
I wish we could come. We got married there in December of 07 and have explored the park at least a week at a time on 3 separate occasions. Ask the locals about CatTail Falls you wont find the trail on any map. It's just a few mile day hike. have fun.