PDA

View Full Version : I'm Out of Ideas

charlottebronte
04-26-2004, 23:27
I've been trying to pick out a pack for my thru. The major problem is that I'm a petite woman, won't carry a total of more than 25 lbs ('cos I don't weigh that much) and I need suspension (I have a light internal frame, so the pack has to help me here). My frame back is 18.

I have tried the Gregory Deva 60 and loved it. Problem? Heavy, very heavy (5 lbs. ouch!).
I have tried Granite Gear packs. Problem? Too wide at the shoulders. And they really sag on me. No go.
I have tried the Osprey Ariel 60. Problem? The straps cant straight upwards from my shoulders and really dig in. Plus the belt is fixed; that suggests poor biomechanics to me.
I have tried the Gregory Siren. Problem? It's as heavy as the Deva. Forget that!
I've tried the Gregory Z pack a week ago. One heavy lump. I'm still recovering.
I have tried the Marmot Femme Nikita. Problem? It's heavy per volume.
I have tried the Arcteryx Bora 40 (same as Bora 55). Problem? Suspension's great but the bag is tiny. I might have to start a whole new trend towards ultra-tiny ultra-heavy packing.

Help!

I have a feeling women need way more suspension than the manufacturers are providing, just because we (in general) have less "internal frame" of our own. Could they please stick an ultralight bag on a whacked out harness?

A-Train
04-26-2004, 23:35
Have you checked out the Gregory G-pack or Z pack. The G is 2.5 lbs and has suspension. Greg is known for great suspension. Can't carry more than 30 in there anyway.

Not that I really like them, but have you looked at Golite at all? I guess not much suspension there.

Lastly, the ULA P2? Its under 3 lbs and has great suspension.

Thats all I can thinkof.

hungryhowie
04-26-2004, 23:49
In addition to A-Train's suggestion of the P-2, you might also look at the Mountainsmith Seraph, the female version of the Ghost, which is advertised to carry 25-30 pounds.

I actually own the new Ghost, but haven't had a chance to use it on the trail yet. From the "I walked around the neighborhood for 3 hours with it on" perspective, I think that I'll really like it. The hydration sleeve and exit port is a nice touch, and the external side pockets actually seem somewhat useful. Though I've not actually weighed mine, other reports have said that it's only about 1-2oz heavier than advertised (35oz as opposed to 34oz).

The Seraph is advertised to weigh 2 pounds on the nose and has an internal capacity of 2600ci.

-Howie

alalskaman
04-27-2004, 01:02
You might try looking at the Kelty Junior Tioga 2050 - I got two for my kids, and loaned one to a "petite" woman in my church - she likes it, the torso length is adjustable, its an e-frame, you may or may not like that, but it weighs only about 3 lb, is well ventilated, and cheap. Just a thought. Bill

MedicineMan
04-27-2004, 01:33
I think he does custom work.....then you get exactly what you want/need

SGT Rock
04-27-2004, 06:56
Also look at the Moonbow Gearskin. You will lay on a piece of paper and trace your body and send the tracing in for them to custom fir the straps.

chris
04-27-2004, 08:43
Wait till the Gathering rolls around this year (October, in West Virginia) and go to it and check out ULA. The P1 is lighter than the P2, and this year's model has some sort of 1/4 length frame sheet. Brian is, in fact, making a semi-custom version of this for me to fill some needs that I have, so he might make you one especially for your body type. Take a look at www.ula-equipment.com

walkon
04-27-2004, 09:40
golite breeze. or any other spins on the design. simple, you make the suspension with ridge rest (or pad of choice). weighs nothing, IMHO the waytogo. the golite infinity series packs have a light framesheet for a bit more support if you must have it.
vision (http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5106)
continium if you need a bit more space (http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5107)
and the breeze (http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5000)
walkon

rumbler
04-27-2004, 09:54
Sixmoon Designs has a pack ( the Starlite) that will weigh as little as 26 ounces WITH stays, which are removable. Quite a few interesting features:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=23

Jaybird
04-27-2004, 15:28
I've been trying to pick out a pack for my thru. The major problem is that I'm a petite woman, won't carry a total of more than 25 lbs ('cos I don't weigh that much) and I need suspension (I have a light internal frame, so the pack has to help me here). My frame back is 18..............................................He lp!............................................... .
I have a feeling women need way more suspension than the manufacturers are providing, just because we (in general) have less "internal frame" of our own. Could they please stick an ultralight bag on a whacked out harness?

CB

dont walk....RUN to your nearest Outfitter store & let them "professionally fit" you for your backpack...it will be your friend for 2,173 miles....you need it to be ultra-comfortable!

as was stated earlier...maybe you need to try a childrens backpack if your frame/fit is that small....just a suggestion. :D

good luck!

peter_pan
04-27-2004, 15:38
If your pack weigt is as lightas you say and your cube is low, take a look at the golite Jam Pack. About 2200 cu in main section and very good support,incl padded back, i lb 5 oz.

gravityman
04-27-2004, 16:07
My wife is smallish (5' 4" and relatively slight in build - 18" torso as well). The Aether 60 small has worked well for her. She just switched to Granite Gear's Vapor Trail in Regular size. Note that you need to load the pack up and tighten it all up for the frame and load lifters to work well.

Gravity man

PS I have been fitted wrong so many times at outfitters, that I don't bother asking any more, and get pretty annoyed pretty fast as sales people tell me that I need a bigger pack.... Grrrr... Fittings are only as good as the pro who does it... And most don't know a thing... Now Mount Roger's Outfitters... they know how to fit a pack!

I've been trying to pick out a pack for my thru. The major problem is that I'm a petite woman, won't carry a total of more than 25 lbs ('cos I don't weigh that much) and I need suspension (I have a light internal frame, so the pack has to help me here). My frame back is 18.

I have tried the Gregory Deva 60 and loved it. Problem? Heavy, very heavy (5 lbs. ouch!).
I have tried Granite Gear packs. Problem? Too wide at the shoulders. And they really sag on me. No go.
I have tried the Osprey Ariel 60. Problem? The straps cant straight upwards from my shoulders and really dig in. Plus the belt is fixed; that suggests poor biomechanics to me.
I have tried the Gregory Siren. Problem? It's as heavy as the Deva. Forget that!
I've tried the Gregory Z pack a week ago. One heavy lump. I'm still recovering.
I have tried the Marmot Femme Nikita. Problem? It's heavy per volume.
I have tried the Arcteryx Bora 40 (same as Bora 55). Problem? Suspension's great but the bag is tiny. I might have to start a whole new trend towards ultra-tiny ultra-heavy packing.

Help!

SGT Rock
04-27-2004, 16:55
I tend to agree with not always getting the best fit or preference from an outfitter. Maybe it is just a bad experience or two (more like a dozen) but if I go in looking for light and comfortable on things, I most often get steered to heavy and expensive based on whatever the reason is of the salesperson. I honestly think that it has more to do with the salesman's personal preference in gear more than I feel it is some sort of marketing plot against my pocketbook.

Honestly there are so many good cottage industries that make custom light packs for resonable prices you could just talk to them directly and see what they can do for you.

eyahiker
04-28-2004, 12:19
----------------------------------------:)

rumbler
04-28-2004, 19:53
If you can make it to Trail Days this year you will have many factory reps on hand to help you with fitting packs. Additionally, there should be a few "cottage" producers there as well, giving you an opportunity to try a pack that might otherwise be difficult to test.

littledragon
04-28-2004, 20:38
What about Moutainsmith Seraph- anyone have personal knowledge about that one? I know from descritptions it is very light and made to carry up to 30 lbs. Would one of those be something for a petit person?

hpowers
04-28-2004, 22:05
I would seriously consider the McHale. It will cost a little more, but it appears that you have tried most packs out there. At least w/McHale, he will work w/you to see that you get what you want, and then you will never have to worrry about this again.

charlottebronte
05-02-2004, 22:57
So many great ideas.

New developments:
I am trying out the Golite Infinity. Has anyone seen this pack? Maybe someone can enlighten me....'cos the engineering seems dreadful. The shoulder straps are stitched to the belt, which means they don't follow the body line. They are actually folded over where they meet the belt. Then there's the load lifters. They are sewn in to the top of the pack. There's no back stiffener right there so the lifters have something to pull on. In other words, the lifters just pull on pack bag and don't actually DO anything. Huh? Kinda reminded my of some toilets in Greece I had to get used to: the fixture was all there, looked great....no running water. But maybe I'm missing something?
Other than that, it seems a great size and concept.
I am also trying out the Arcteryx Needle 45. This is quite a contrast (kinda like a Porsche versus a Yugo)! Very well engineered, with features a small person might love (like well-padded narrow shoulder straps with real load lifters). It weighs 3 lbs 4 oz, which might be heavy in the scheme of things....but fit counts for a lot. It is VERY strange, though: it's constructed like a wet bag, so it has a roll top; it has no accessories, not even a bottle holder, and some rather peculiar fixtures on the front, that I have no idea what I'd do with. The way it's designed, everything would have to go in the pack (no hangers on), and it's about 2600 cubes. It may just be completely.......IMPRACTICAL.
By the way, the folks at Backcountry Gear have been immensely helpful, as have the folks at the local REI.

Illinois Coy
05-03-2004, 00:24
You might try Go-lite gear. I think they are at golite.com. However, with that type of gear you need to train yourself to make each piece do multiple jobs. It could be downright dangerous to start out on a long hike without some practical knowledge of how to use the stuff.

snuffleupagus
05-03-2004, 01:10
[QUOTE=charlottebronte]I've been trying to pick out a pack for my thru. The major problem is that I'm a petite woman, won't carry a total of more than 25 lbs ('cos I don't weigh that much) and I need suspension (I have a light internal frame, so the pack has to help me here). My frame back is 18.
QUOTE]
I’m might be overstepping my boundaries with consulting people about gear, but for what it’s worth I think I use good common sense when making purchases concerning hiking gear. I’m certain I have not done as many miles as some of the individuals in this arena, but I’ve done a lot of hiking in my younger years. One of the companies that I’ve had great experience with is a company called Texsport. I have a bag from this company (2600ci) that has seen many a hiking trail, and has held up through the years. My bag is almost ten years old and has done me some real favors in the past. Hopefully it will keep up doing great favors for many years more. I’m not that particularly fond of spending large amounts of money for things that only serve one purpose. I was at a store the other day and I picked up an new version of my old bag. The materials that they use today are much lighter and much more resistant to the elements than my old bag is.

While I don’t have the need for a new backpack, I certainly thought about buying one of these new Texsport bags, because of the light weighted ness, comfort, and versatility.

Like I said I may be hanging myself out over a limb for posting this, but I would rather give a company an honest write-up based on my own experiences than circum to the wishful thoughts of many outfitters (not all, but many). If anyone else any thoughts about Texsport packs I’d sure like to here about them… http:/www.texsport.com/packs.html (http://www.texsport.com/packs.html) They have many more packs out in stores now....Good luck.....

charlottebronte
05-05-2004, 16:18
Thanks, everyone for all your help. I read all your notes. I mean ALL your notes. And followed up.

I was just returning the Arcteryx Needle 45 to REI because it rubbed in the shoulder blades, when a young man who worked there ordered me to put it on (he knew I'd been having a hard time getting a fit).

To make a long story short, every time a fitter saw me in a pack and noticed the pack didn't fit, they would conclude that the pack was too small and try bigger.

I put this one on (and it was a size small), and the young fella said, "No wonder, that's Waaaay too BIG."

So we went smaller. TaDaaa! I now have a Gregory Z Pack (remember, I even started out wishing I could have a Gregory), that is the only thing that actually fits in a 2-3 lb, 3200 cube kind of a pack.

I must say, all these fitters were going out of their way to be helpful....they weren't just trying to sell me something.....they were trying very hard to get it right. So let's not malign the outfitters.

I'm sure what happened is that guys think their hips are in a different place than women do! If I use the guys' definition, my back is a lot shorter.....And since packs are generally built using guys' definitions.....