PDA

View Full Version : Should I take this thing?

ATX-Hiker
01-21-2009, 13:55
I was just given as a gift a Nokia N810 (http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_508842)

http://www.mobilelinuxinfo.com/images/nokia-n810.jpg

I'm trying to decide if I want to carry this thing with me. I was thinking of using it for my trail journal, then when I hit town/WiFi I could upload it to trailjournals. It also plays music, so I could ditch the iPod. It weighs maybe 2 oz. more than the iPod, but it has a better battery life and GPS. I'm not really worried about breaking it, I'm just not sure if I want to carry this much technology with me. Do many people carry gadgets like a smartphone or pda?

joshua5878
01-21-2009, 14:08
I was just given as a gift a Nokia N810 (http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_508842)

I'm trying to decide if I want to carry this thing with me. I was thinking of using it for my trail journal, then when I hit town/WiFi I could upload it to trailjournals. It also plays music, so I could ditch the iPod. It weighs maybe 2 oz. more than the iPod, but it has a better battery life and GPS. I'm not really worried about breaking it, I'm just not sure if I want to carry this much technology with me. Do many people carry gadgets like a smartphone or pda?

You will probably know real quick if you are going to use it, if not send it home at Mountains Crossing. Or sell it to someone... Make sure you have room in your pack, as big as I thought my pack was it is filling up fast!

Blissful
01-21-2009, 14:49
You will probably know real quick if you are going to use it, if not send it home at Mountains Crossing. Or sell it to someone... Make sure you have room in your pack, as big as I thought my pack was it is filling up fast!

Makes sense. Just be sure if you do have to send it home you send it through a reputable carrier like Fed Ex so it can be traced and insured.

But I can say expensive electronics will face water and temp changes, dirt, not to mention possibly dropping it (we did that and broke our camera but it was not too expensive to replace, thankfully). So it can face possible damage.

snowhoe
01-21-2009, 14:59
I agree with joshua5878, If you dont use it send it home. Old goat used one and he really like it. I am sure you could PM him and he could tell you all about the uses on the trail.

Manwich
01-21-2009, 15:00
http://blog.mlive.com/xbutton/2008/11/medium_LG%20Incite.jpg

I have the LG Incite... touchscreen keyboard, 16gb card in it for music and pictures (3 megapixel camera), WiFi etcetc. No moving parts so I'm not too worried about it. I have a solar-charger that can charge it (though in standby it lasts 21-days and its charger is a USB cable, therefore I can plug it in any computer, some cars and some Cable-TV Boxes

it weighs 4.23oz.

Also, it's completely reflective, could use it to signal.

I say, if its free, go for it.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2009, 15:11
should you take that thing? heck no.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2009, 15:19
For keeping it dry, get a Seal Line bag. I had my PDA in one for close to 800 mile of the AT in all kinds of weather without any trouble.

My only question is does this have a notepad function? I don't see one listed in the specs. If not, it wouldn't be much good for keeping a journal. Might have to do that online and thats no good. It has a web camera built in, but will it take snap shots?

chrishowe11
01-21-2009, 21:54
hello,

hey man i've been reading a lot of your threads and i just want to wish the best to your on your hike, i have gotten a lot of answers from your hike i plan march 2011 good luck man!

Smile
01-21-2009, 22:02
Leave it at home, enjoy the quiet of the woods and the separation your hike offers! :)

IMHO....

weary
01-21-2009, 22:05

If you feel compelled to ask, almost always, the anwer is no.

Weary

Desert Reprobate
01-21-2009, 22:09
The link is to Nokia Europe. Would it even work here?

ATX-Hiker
01-21-2009, 22:29
I've been playing with it today, it's pretty cool it will do everything a blackberry or treo will do and more, but no phone. The GPS is pretty much useless. I'm leaning towards leaving the thing at home. I spend a good portion of my day at a computer right now, so I'm not sure I want to lug one along on my hike. This has made me start to question if I'm even going to take a cell phone or my old am/fm walkman. :-?

How accessible are pay phones along the trail? I see them a lot less than I did 10-15 years ago.

johnnybgood
01-21-2009, 23:09
Depending on where you want to leave the trail...2-3 days apart I imagine. I believe carrying a gizmo thinga ma jig to be a personal choice, IMHO

Manwich
01-21-2009, 23:56
I'm carrying the LG Incite (mentioned above) to replace my camera. At 4oz, its slightly lighter weight.

Research the GPS functionality. If it can output NMEA, you might be able to load topographic maps onto it and override the "snaptoroad" functions.

Many Walks
01-22-2009, 00:07
We saw a few, but most people were too tired to mess with them after hiking all day and preferred to talk with folks they camped with. Your choice. When I head to town I take technology with me. When I hike I leave it at home and use all my senses to take in the woods. If you're hiking while listening to music you just might miss the sounds of the wild...a chirp, rustle, footstep, snort, growl, rattle...I'd leave it at home and enjoy the journey. It's actually liberating to get away from all the technology, passwords, etc. for a while and enjoy the environment of the trail. Best wishes on your hike.

Blue Wolf
01-22-2009, 00:12
Leave the gadgets at home, and enjoy the peace of the trail.............I want no part of phones and text messages, and computers I want the woods and the peace and quiet, that's my 2 cents.

Pokey2006
01-22-2009, 00:31
You can take a gadget with you and still enjoy the peace of the woods. All you have to do is turn the gadget off.

chrishowe11
01-26-2009, 12:13
personally i wouldnt take it... technology can wait at home? i think doing the AT is a great way for us to reform to our primitive selves in a way? get a sence of what it may have been like back in the day. the choice is yours

ATX-Hiker
01-26-2009, 13:28
I sold the thing. It was one of those things I'm trying to get away from.

Now I got a little extra cash, thinking about getting a summer bag. I'm trying to decide between a Western Mountaineering or a Mont Bell. Anybody know of a reputable online retailer for either that doesn't charge full sticker?

Blissful
01-26-2009, 14:40
I sold the thing. It was one of those things I'm trying to get away from.

Now I got a little extra cash, thinking about getting a summer bag. I'm trying to decide between a Western Mountaineering or a Mont Bell. Anybody know of a reputable online retailer for either that doesn't charge full sticker?

Boy if I was going to get just a summer bag, I'd get something like the Marmot pounder and save $$ rather than spend it on a WM which is good for cold.

ATX-Hiker
01-26-2009, 14:45
Boy if I was going to get just a summer bag, I'd get something like the Marmot pounder and save $$ rather than spend it on a WM which is good for cold.

I've heard differing thoughts on the Pounder. I checked one out at REI it seemed kinda flimsy. I guess that's all you really need for the summer though. Anybody own one?