PDA

View Full Version : 2009 AT Thru Hike Shelter Question...

joshua5878
01-21-2009, 14:05
I have asked a lot of questions over the past year and would like to thank all of you for being patient with my newbie status but I will be off line in a little over a week to head to PA to pick up my brother (hiking parnter) and then heading south for some shakedowns and then a late Feb start. ( So no more posts!)

Final question, one last gear purchase to make. Again, I am hiking with my brother. We both will be carrying ULA Catalysts, 15* Montbell Super Stretch's, and Therma Rest 3 season regulars. We are splitting weight on other things like first aid, cooking and all misc. stuff. We are under 30lbs with food and water now. Actually closer to 25 lbs. He is using a Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. I still need to buy a tent for myself. To me,
camping is going to be a big part of this trip. I am considering a 3 person tent for myself to have extra space. I am looking at this REI tent http://www.rei.com/product/761895

I could split the weight up and have him carry the fly, we could switch out every now and then.. What do you all think??

Lilred
01-21-2009, 14:17
I think a three person is way too big for one person. Remember, you'll have to find a spot to set up that tent, and a three person will have a huge footprint. I have a 2 person Squall tarptent and it is plenty big for me and all my gear. I think any 2 person tent will be plenty big enough for you and your gear.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 14:22
There will be 1 person in your tent yet you want a 3 person tent? Why not get a queen sized air mattress, a comforter and a couple pillows too? Also if it is a tent "for yourself" why would you make your hiking partner carry the rain fly? No reason for the extra weight. I use an MSR Hubba. Plenty of headroom, easy set up, large vestibule. When they say 1,2 or 3 person tent, that is exactly what they mean. It's not like a pack of fig newtons where the recommended serving is 2 cookies. For weekend camping or car camping great. Bring the bigger tent. For a thru-hike make the right choice.

Cool AT Breeze
01-21-2009, 14:32
Get the contrail. More than enough room.

joshua5878
01-21-2009, 15:09
There will be 1 person in your tent yet you want a 3 person tent? Why not get a queen sized air mattress, a comforter and a couple pillows too? Also if it is a tent "for yourself" why would you make your hiking partner carry the rain fly? No reason for the extra weight. I use an MSR Hubba. Plenty of headroom, easy set up, large vestibule. When they say 1,2 or 3 person tent, that is exactly what they mean. It's not like a pack of fig newtons where the recommended serving is 2 cookies. For weekend camping or car camping great. Bring the bigger tent. For a thru-hike make the right choice.

Guess I won't tell you bout the generator... ;)

On a serious note, I like the added space. Maybe the 2 person REI, looks very similar to the Hubba Hubba, but around a hundred bucks less. Most of the reviews seem good on it also.

big_muddy
01-21-2009, 15:12
The lunar duo is huge, I have one and love it. You both could share that tent. It will also make cooking when tenting in the rain a lot easier if you are both in the same place. The two of you don't really need two tents. The lunar duo is plenty, trust me.

Johnny Thunder
01-21-2009, 15:14
For the same price you can get a Big Agnes Seedhouse...or even stretch and track down a Copper Spur tent. You've made all the lightweight gear choices so why go waste the weight savings on a heavy tent? You should be saving those extra pounds for steaks, bacon, and booze.

Lone Wolf
I have asked a lot of questions over the past year and would like to thank all of you for being patient with my newbie status but I will be off line in a little over a week to head to PA to pick up my brother (hiking parnter) and then heading south for some shakedowns and then a late Feb start. ( So no more posts!)

Final question, one last gear purchase to make. Again, I am hiking with my brother. We both will be carrying ULA Catalysts, 15* Montbell Super Stretch's, and Therma Rest 3 season regulars. We are splitting weight on other things like first aid, cooking and all misc. stuff. We are under 30lbs with food and water now. Actually closer to 25 lbs. He is using a Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. I still need to buy a tent for myself. To me,
camping is going to be a big part of this trip. I am considering a 3 person tent for myself to have extra space. I am looking at this REI tent http://www.rei.com/product/761895

I could split the weight up and have him carry the fly, we could switch out every now and then.. What do you all think??

you both should carry all your own gear. there's no guarantee you'll remain hiking partners. odds are against it

Manwich
What happens if your brother bails / gets hurt?

joshua5878
01-21-2009, 15:30
The lunar duo is huge, I have one and love it. You both could share that tent. It will also make cooking when tenting in the rain a lot easier if you are both in the same place. The two of you don't really need two tents. The lunar duo is plenty, trust me.

We tried it, He is 6'4 300lbs, I am 6'2 259 lbs. He is a MASSIVE snorer, I sleep light. No earplugs would work. I don't want to wake up and have to ask him where his hands are with him to reply between 2 pillows...

He spent the night with my wife and I last year and was on the other side of the house, his snoring made my wife and I want to go outside and sleep in the car, after we drove a couple miles away...:o

joshua5878
01-21-2009, 15:31
you both should carry all your own gear. there's no guarantee you'll remain hiking partners. odds are against it

That weighed heavily into the decision..

Mercy
01-21-2009, 15:36
So your brother agrees to carry his tent, and half the weight of yours? Can I hike with him?:D

You don't want to need too big a footprint, especially since you and your brother may be sharing a site.

A smaller tent will be warmer.

I carry a 2-man tent (BA) for me and my dog (70-ish lbs) I like a large vestibule.

KG4FAM
01-21-2009, 15:43
You could get a one person tent and bring a tarp to kind of make a huge vestibule. This also helps if you get caught in a torrential downpour and need to throw a tarp up real quick to wait it out. If you decide to stay in a shelter then the tarp could then be used to make a windbreak.

joshua5878
01-21-2009, 15:45
So your brother agrees to carry his tent, and half the weight of yours? Can I hike with him?:D

You don't want to need too big a footprint, especially since you and your brother may be sharing a site.

A smaller tent will be warmer.

I carry a 2-man tent (BA) for me and my dog (70-ish lbs) I like a large vestibule.

The Lunar Duo packed weight is 2lbs 6 ozs. We are splitting weight up, to try and equal things out. Bottom line is even with a 4-5 lb shelter as the second shelter we can keep both packs right about 25-27 lbs total.

Blissful
01-21-2009, 16:13
Agree, carry your own gear if you can or that you will be able to carry the cooking gear you choose if one backs out. You should have your own personal first aid kit anyway.
I can see wanting a two person tent, just watch the weight or you will be wishing it at Neel Gap.

Gaiter
01-21-2009, 16:27
i think a 3 person is major overkill, if you have the 300 to spend, look at some of the other six moon designs or look at www.tarptent.com

and like wolf said carry separate gear, unless yall've done a long section before and know that after a month yall still hike the same

garlic08
01-21-2009, 16:39
My buddy and I have hiked every step of 5,000 miles together, yet we still carry our own gear, including two Contrails. Grown men shouldn't have to sleep that close. Maybe that's why we still hike together. The Contrail is a very comfortable three-season tent, plenty of room for a large person plus pack. We still have problems finding campsites for both Contrails, but we seldom have to split up to camp.