PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Thru-hike transportation to GA Booked

kdawg
01-21-2009, 18:03
Hey 2009'ers,

I was able to move up my start date (Thank God!) :bananaThe anticipation is killing me and I cannot wait to have the solitude on the trail away from the daily stresses of life.

I will be arriving via Amtrack in Gainsville, GA on 03/24/2009 at 6:54 A.M, Anyone else starting on the 24th?

Looking forward to meeting many of you on the hike.

Kdawg

bigboots
01-21-2009, 20:39
I'm not starting the same day and you are not arriving in Gainesville at 6:54. I have never ridden on Amtrack and arrived on-time. Never any horrible expreriences, just always running behind.
Have a great hike.

Bulldawg
01-21-2009, 20:42
Who's picking you up in Gainesville? Wave and blow the horn at me as you go by. I work about 3 blocks from the Gainesville train station at Slack Auto Parts. You should pass by my office on your way north!!

GOOD LUCK!!

kdawg
01-21-2009, 20:46
Bull dog,
My plan was just to catch a cab when ever I get in

kdawg
01-21-2009, 20:59
Bigboots, Not a big deal if the train is late, early or ontime I have no hurries or worries, the trail will be there.
Kdawg

Montana Mac
01-21-2009, 21:15
Check Hiker Hostel - they offer a thru hiker package including picking you up in Gainesville FWIW

KG4FAM
01-21-2009, 21:44
Bigboots, Not a big deal if the train is late, early or ontime I have no hurries or worries, the trail will be there.
KdawgIf it is late by a considerable amount (I would say more than 3 hours) then call up Amtrak customer service and complain. They will give you a travel voucher for use on another train. If anything is not up to par (rude car attendent, no heat, ect) then call Amtrak and let them know and they do good trying to make it right.

Bulldawg
01-21-2009, 21:49
Thread drift warning............

I've been thinking about taking Amtrak to DC in the spring. But the prices are more than what I could fly to DC for. No wonder the folks can't stay in the black!

max patch
01-21-2009, 21:59
Thread drift warning............

I've been thinking about taking Amtrak to DC in the spring. But the prices are more than what I could fly to DC for. No wonder the folks can't stay in the black!

We went one year ATL-DC on Amtrak in one of the sleeper cars. Price that out for a shock! Nice trip, though.

bigboots
01-21-2009, 22:15
One of the enjoyable things of Amtrak is less restrictions than air travel. I have never bothered with the sleeper car, the seats recline pretty well or you can lay across 2 seats (never been on a full amtrak ride). Sounds like you have it under control!

Tilly
01-22-2009, 11:25
Hi! May be starting the on Monday the 23rd. Hopefully. I'll be doing the same as you, getting into Gainesville at (or around) 7 am from the train and then taking a cab. After 2 nights and 1 day on the train I will not want to sit around at a hostel for another day.

PS--RE: Taxi from Gainesville, do they drop at the Visitors Center or do they drop at the Lodge Road (ie the top of the falls)

kdawg
01-22-2009, 18:25
Hi! May be starting the on Monday the 23rd. Hopefully. I'll be doing the same as you, getting into Gainesville at (or around) 7 am from the train and then taking a cab. After 2 nights and 1 day on the train I will not want to sit around at a hostel for another day.

PS--RE: Taxi from Gainesville, do they drop at the Visitors Center or do they drop at the Lodge Road (ie the top of the falls)

Hey Tilly,
I arrive a day behind you on the 24th, Hopefully we will run into each other. I am sure the cab will drop you off where ever you want, I will be doing the whole approach trail.

Kdawg

Montana Mac
01-22-2009, 21:28
I am also taking the train into Gainesville. I will be picked up and staying at the Hiker Hostel. Then they will drop me the next morning at the trail. I figured after spending a 24 hours on the train I would want a day to get stretched out and the legs loosened up and start the trail after a nights sleep in a bed. Might be the last time in a long time I sleep in a bed :D