PDA

View Full Version : Mary Sue Riddle, TOW's Mom

No Belay
01-21-2009, 23:58
The Only Wanderer's Mom, Mary Sue Riddle, completed her Thru hike of life today. For all of you that know Larry, you know how much he's appreciated and has given to the hiker community in the Damascus area. He's had a rough go of it lately and this personal loss of Mary just adds to it. Please keep him and his Dad, Arthur in your thoughts and prayers.

TaTonka

Rain Man
01-22-2009, 00:36
The Only Wanderer's Mom, Mary Sue Riddle, completed her Thru hike of life today.

Thanks for sharing the information, NB. You are correct, TOW is a great guy and very, very supportive in Damascus in any way he can be. I'm so sorry his mom has passed on over the mountain to trails beyond.

We'll be thinking of him and keeping him in our prayers and wish him well.

Rain Man

Ron Haven
01-22-2009, 02:49
The Only Wanderer's Mom, Mary Sue Riddle, completed her Thru hike of life today. For all of you that know Larry, you know how much he's appreciated and has given to the hiker community in the Damascus area. He's had a rough go of it lately and this personal loss of Mary just adds to it. Please keep him and his Dad, Arthur in your thoughts and prayers.

TaTonkaI know his mother is in a better place than we are but our hearts grieve too for Larry and his family.He has treated my family always with kindness.TOW we are thinking of you and God bless.

StarLyte
01-22-2009, 06:48
Very sad to hear, hope Larry feels the love here.

TOW
01-22-2009, 09:24
Last night at church I had told my pastor I was at peace with her passing. Last year when I went home and back in 2005 I did my best to make amends with my family, had I have not did that I am sure this would be bothering me much more.

Right now I am working on getting a vehicle to drive out there for the funeral. Jeff Patrick from MRO is going to get one of his vehicles registered for me hopefully today so that I can use that.

Thank you No Belay for posting this, I did not expect it but I welcome it. As soon as her obit gets posted I will post it here.

And the rest of you are awesome!

yappy
01-22-2009, 09:49
I am sorry as well. My Mom was diagnosed with brain cancer while I was hiking in 05. It changed everything including me. The world is not as rich without her but she lives on in my sisters' sweet engaging smile and my brothers ( all 5 of them ! ) crinkled eyed laugh. I see her in the mirror too. Again, sorry for your loss.

bigcranky
01-22-2009, 09:53
You and your mom are in my thoughts, TOW.

Shadowmoss
01-22-2009, 10:35
Thinking of you, Larry. ((((TOW))))

Skyline
01-22-2009, 10:54
So sorry to hear of this. Hang in there, Larry. You sure have been given a full plate to deal with lately.

Skyline

Farr Away
01-22-2009, 11:12
Thinking of you TOW.

-FarrAway

Smile
01-22-2009, 12:21
We are so sorry for your loss TOW. You are in our thoughts and prayers here :)

TOW
01-22-2009, 14:18
I am leaving now......Jeff patrick lent me the use of his old Toyota with oil leaks and gas fumes.......pray that I make it, I am sure I will. When I get home I will report in.

And thank you to Lugnut for helping me out.......too

max patch
01-22-2009, 14:22
I'm sorry for your loss.

Alligator
01-22-2009, 14:25
My deepest condolences TOW, it's been a rough start this year.

Rain Man
01-22-2009, 17:29
I am leaving now......Jeff patrick lent me the use of his old Toyota with oil leaks and gas fumes.......pray that I make it, I am sure I will. When I get home I will report in.

Larry, if you get this, give a shout when you get close to Nashville this evening. You are welcome to spend the night. Or if you want to keep going, we'll feed you dinner and take care of you during your stop-over. I spoke with No Belay just now. I also sent PM's to the local WBers.

My home phone number is 615-385-9644.

Rain Man

curtisvowen
01-22-2009, 17:32
Thinkin' 'bout ya.
Lets go trackin'!!
Peace Out

Kanati
01-22-2009, 20:00
TOW, we haven't met but I share in your grief. Moms are special. My mom turns 85 on 1/25. Even though she has dimentia and short term memory loss she could always remember that I was hiking last year. When I would call her, she always ask the same question, "When are going to be done with that hike, and why are you doing that"?

Take Care.

mudcap
01-22-2009, 20:15
My condolences TOW. My thoughts are with you .

Blissful
01-22-2009, 20:23
I'm so sorry.

The Scribe
01-22-2009, 20:57
Last night at church I had told my pastor I was at peace with her passing. Last year when I went home and back in 2005 I did my best to make amends with my family, had I have not did that I am sure this would be bothering me much more.

Right now I am working on getting a vehicle to drive out there for the funeral. Jeff Patrick from MRO is going to get one of his vehicles registered for me hopefully today so that I can use that.

Thank you No Belay for posting this, I did not expect it but I welcome it. As soon as her obit gets posted I will post it here.

And the rest of you are awesome!

My thoughts are with you TOW. Please know you aren't alone in this time of sorrow.

wrongway_08
01-22-2009, 21:13
Sorry to hear. Thoughts are with you buddy!

No Belay
01-23-2009, 11:10
Last night while TOW was en route to Missouri for his Mom's funeral, he had a slight mishap near Crossvile,Tn that delayed his trip and temporarily put him in the hospital. He wasn't physically hurt. He'll be returning to Damascus upon his release and we will attempt to figure out a more logical means of getting him back home.

I wanted to thank Rain Man and all the Nashville White Blazers for their concern and compassion for Larry. I know if he could have made it there that it would of been a major high point for him in a time in his life that has been dominated by bad news and misfortune. You're a special group.

Please keep TOW in your thoughts and if applicable, your prayers and prayer circles. He very much appreciates all us WBs.

TaTonka

TOW
01-23-2009, 15:52
Unfortunately as I was heading home I went into convulsions right near Chatanooga. I managed to get off of the highway and into a gas station where an ambulance was called.

After I got out of the hospital and called Jeff he requested me to return his truck and come back home. That is where I am at right now. I am still planning on going out there, just by a different means..

TOW
01-23-2009, 15:58
I want to personally thank Lone Wolf, Lugnut, bhronek, Big Mac, DragonAss, Judy Lawrence, Jeff Patrick, and Dennis Ely for making it possible for me to be able to go home even though I haven't got there yet.

Blissful
01-23-2009, 16:06
Oh wow. I am so sorry!!! Glad you're okay.

Lilred
01-23-2009, 16:08
Unfortunately as I was heading home I went into convulsions right near Chatanooga. I managed to get off of the highway and into a gas station where an ambulance was called.

After I got out of the hospital and called Jeff he requested me to return his truck and come back home. That is where I am at right now. I am still planning on going out there, just by a different means..

Larry, I'm so sorry to hear about this latest mishap. You sure are having your share right now. We'd still love to see you if you pass thru Nashville.
Keep us informed
love ya

TOW
01-23-2009, 16:19
Larry, I'm so sorry to hear about this latest mishap. You sure are having your share right now. We'd still love to see you if you pass thru Nashville.
Keep us informed
love ya
My bus leaves out of Bristol tomorrow at 1:35 pm. I will have a layover in Nashville for an hour, I'll roll in there by about 8 pm tomorrow night.

TOW
01-23-2009, 16:20
I maybe having my share but who am I not to step up to the batters plate, I got to keep on swinging that bat!

d'shadow
01-23-2009, 16:23
She will always be with you, in your heart and spirit.

I'm so sorry for your loss, both of mine have passed on and I miss them very much.

Rain Man
01-23-2009, 16:39
My bus leaves out of Bristol tomorrow at 1:35 pm. I will have a layover in Nashville for an hour, I'll roll in there by about 8 pm tomorrow night.

If you want us to take you out for a quick bite of some dinner, or to just bring you some, all you have to do is say the word.

Rain:sunMan

TOW
01-23-2009, 16:47
If you want us to take you out for a quick bite of some dinner, or to just bring you some, all you have to do is say the word.

Correction: I will be arriving in Nashville at 8:55. And I am game for anything but it would be just as nice to see you folks and hang out with ya while I wait for the bus. I sent you a PM.

TOW
01-23-2009, 17:00
Mary Sue Riddle
(May 3, 1934 - January 21, 2009)

Mary Sue Riddle, 74, of Chetopa, died at 4:45 p.m., Wednesday, January 21, 2009, at the Chetopa Manor Nursing Home.
She was born May 3, 1934, in Neosho, Missouri, to Charles and Mae E. (Patterson) Perky. As a young girl, she grew up and attended schools in the Neosho area. Prior to marriage, she worked at the Connors Hotel in Joplin as an elevator operator.

She and Arthur Riddle were married June 2, 1959 in Miami, Oklahoma. Following their marriage, they lived in numerous cities in the United States and overseas while Arthur was serving in the U.S. Army. Upon retiring in 1977, they moved to Chetopa where they have lived since.

She was a member of the First Baptist Church in Chetopa. Her hobbies included singing, sewing, embroidery, writing, drawing, cooking and baking. She especially enjoyed spending time with her children and grandchildren. Her family was the love of her life.

SURVIVORS: Husband – Arthur Riddle of the home One Son – Larry Riddle, Damascus, VA. Three Daughters – Carol Gross, Canada, Judy Almond, Parsons, KS Brenda Herndon and her husband, Paul Chetopa, KS. Eight Grandchildren – Rhonda Troglia, Eric Monje, Amy Monje, Chelsea Almond, Jennifer Monje, Chris Herndon, Jacob Almond & Kaylea Herndon Two Step-Great-Grandchildren – Katherine Troglia & Aaron Troglia

She was preceded in death by three sisters, Cora Mae Manning, Martha Perky, and Coella Stansell.

Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m., Monday, January 26, 2009, at the First Baptist Church in Chetopa. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 3:00 – 4:00 p.m., Sunday, at the Bath-Forbes-Hoffman Funeral Home in Chetopa.

Memorials are suggested to the Chetopa First Baptist Church or Chetopa Manor. These may be left at or mailed to Bath-Forbes-Hoffman Funeral Home, P.O. Box 346, Chetopa, KS 67336.

TOW
01-23-2009, 17:04
Just want to let everyone know that I have enough money to get home now and I thank you to all who have contributed to my cause. I would not have been able to go without your aid.

Tin Man
01-23-2009, 18:07
God bless.

I don't know about the rest of you here with living parents, but I called mine today.

Jaybird62
01-23-2009, 18:26
Peace and love to you and your family. Know that you will all be united again one day, brother.

TOW
01-23-2009, 19:12
Correction: I will be arriving in Nashville at 8:55. And I am game for anything but it would be just as nice to see you folks and hang out with ya while I wait for the bus. I sent you a PM.
I will not be coming into Nashville tomorrow night. I am catching a bus to Jackson, Tn tonight where Kanati will be picking me up and packing me to my hometown.

mudcap
01-23-2009, 19:30
Tow,
I will say it again,my thoughts are with you. Man,I admire how positive you have been during this rough stretch. Stay strong. I have never met you,but I can tell by all the posts on here that folks think you are one heck of a guy. That says it all. Have a safe journey.

Tin Man
01-23-2009, 19:58
Tow,
I will say it again,my thoughts are with you. Man,I admire how positive you have been during this rough stretch. Stay strong. I have never met you,but I can tell by all the posts on here that folks think you are one heck of a guy. That says it all. Have a safe journey.

Amen

River Runner
01-24-2009, 02:03
Very sorry to hear about your loss TOW.

TOW
01-24-2009, 06:51
it is 5 am and i am sitting at Rain Man's house. My bus leaves at 6:45....

Rain Man
01-24-2009, 08:53
Just took TOW back to the bus station near downtown Nashville. Got to visit for a while while having breakfast at my house with him, and watching some of the Earl Shaffer DVD and just mellowing a bit.

Larry is overwhelmed with the show of support and care from WB and the folks in Damascus and is so grateful. Thanks to all.

His bus was scheduled to leave here five or ten minutes ago to take him to Jackson, where Kanati lives. Kanati is going to drive Larry to Kansas for his mother's funeral. TaTonka lives in Missouri and is driving Larry back to Damascus next Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm not sure which. After that, TaTonka starts his own thru-hike this year!

TaTonka and Larry will come through Nashville one of those days and are planning a stop-over to meet all the Nashville WBers who would like to join for dinner.

Anyway, WB folks are great folks.

The Scribe
01-24-2009, 10:52
Anyway, WB folks are great folks.

You can't say that enough. My hat is off to everyone involved in making this happen.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2009, 12:44
Just read this now. My sympathy TOW.

TOW
01-24-2009, 23:15
I am home now.........

bigmac_in
01-25-2009, 00:16
Glad you made it TOW - my thoughts and prayers are with you. Life's a journey, dude - unfortuneately it's not always a smooth ride. You'll get past the bumps.

Shadowmoss
01-25-2009, 05:59
Glad you made it. I will be thinking of you.

Rain Man
01-25-2009, 11:49
Glad you made it. I will be thinking of you.

Shadowmoss, will you still be with us on Wednesday? Right now the plan is for TaTonka to drive TOW back through Nashville on Wednesday, staying overnight at my house. If those travel plans work out (that is in part, weather permitting), then we'll plan a dinner out so all the local WBers who want can join in. Will keep everyone posted. Any suggestions for a dinner place? Fletcher's is okay with me.

Needless to say, these are very tentative plans at this time.

TOW
01-25-2009, 12:46
I no sooner arrive and I became ill on everyone. I have vomited for the past 12 hours but I feel a bit better now. Hopefully it was a combination of hardly any sleep and drinking too much water.

Kanati had to return home but No Belay will be here tomorrow for the funeral. We will be leaving on Wednesday after the weather clears up and should be hanging with all the Nashville WB'ers that night.

Smile
01-25-2009, 12:50
Hope you feel better TOW. :)

Lilred
01-25-2009, 23:43
Could be your body just releasing all that pent up stress. Glad you're feeling better and hope to see you when you pass through here. Love ya!

TOW
01-26-2009, 09:01
I want to really say thnk you for all the help that was bestowed upon me in order to get me home. I have seen friends and relatives that I have not seen for years.

But the main thing is that my mother does not have to suffer any longer.

And God bless Kanati for the drive from Jackson, Tn to here. That was a beyond duty call.

We are a tight knit bunch, tighter than most families.

Rain Man
01-26-2009, 11:38
No Belay just called this Monday morning. He and TOW are adjusting their tentative plans due to TOW being under the weather and also due to the bad weather headed their way.

Now they plan to be in Nashville on Thursday evening, instead of Wednesday. Here's hoping a few of us can still get together for dinner.

Lilred
01-26-2009, 12:11
I should be able to make it.

TOW
01-26-2009, 12:20
Sorry about that guys. I am doing better. The funeral is today but we already have had cancellations from fiends and relatives coming in due to the weather that is coming this way.

After talking to No Belay this morning we feel it is better to wait to travel until all of the weather has passed. So we plan on getting out of here sometime early Thursday morning.

No Belay
01-26-2009, 12:21
Just a line to apologize for the continuous change of travel plans. The trip home was quite a strain on TOW and he's a bit under the weather. Mary's funeral is this afternoon so hopefully things will wind down and he can get some well deserved rest, both physically and mentally. He's been surprisingly strong and positive through this and attributes that to all the all the love and support he's received from you folks.

Kanati has returned home and has rated the trip an A+ based on adventure and travel companions. Kanati in Cherokee means "lucky hunter". I think it means "Kindred Spirit"

The National weather Service has decided that we need a good ice storm in our area so between early this evening and Weds morning we're forecasted to receive between an inch and 1.5" of ice. That may not sound like a lot to y'all that are use to winter weather but down here that's equivalent to the Hindenburg sinking the Titanic. Two years ago we got hit by an inch and a half of ice and it took several weeks to restore power and months to remove all the debris. TOW and I decided that Thurs looks a lot more desirable to start our trek. Hoping for better roads and improved health.

Savor Happy!

TaTonka

mudhead
01-26-2009, 12:35
Thurs looks a lot more desirable to start our trek. Hoping for better roads and improved health.

Savor Happy!

TaTonka

Last thing either of you should worry about is changing your travel plans.

Best to all of you. Be safe.

Shadowmoss
01-26-2009, 16:54
The weather has my plans to head their direction in a pending status, too. Keep me informed and if I'm still in town I'll definitely be there. More likely, we'll wave as we pass each other going in opposite directions.

Larry, I hope that I see you, but if I don't please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Six-Six
01-26-2009, 17:33
We havent met - but my condolences on your loss.
I lost my Mom two years ago, last October.

TOW -
The pain fades, the memories remain.

Z

Rain Man
01-27-2009, 23:11
The weather has my plans to head their direction in a pending status, too. Keep me informed and if I'm still in town I'll definitely be there. More likely, we'll wave as we pass each other going in opposite directions.

Larry just wrote that they are pushing their travel day to Nashville back a day to Friday now, due to the weather conditions.

So, everyone, now it's Friday, not Thursday, for the dinner meet. Just FYI.

If it changes again, I'll keep you posted.

Rain Man
01-28-2009, 18:39
Well, the icy weather has done a number on our best laid plans. No Belay has to stay home to repair storm damage. Larry will be taking the bus directly back to Damascus, and won't be coming via Nashville.

So, our dinner plans are hereby canceled.

Hope to see y'all on Valentine's Day, though, for that dinner, etc.

Rain Man

TOW
01-30-2009, 14:40
I am home now.

I will be writing an essay about this whole experience.............

I can say I have been truly humbled by the outpouring of love and support that I have recieved from some of you here in this unique hiking community.

jersey joe
01-30-2009, 15:48
I am sorry for your loss TOW, but very inspired by the support you received from the WB community, which never ceases to amaze me.

TOW
04-15-2009, 23:14
I was reading all of this again and reading the thread about Lone Wolf being in the hospital and it is awesome what we have in this community. This is one heck of a family I belong to, you guys are something else.

Like UndergroundNathan says we are somebody in the trail community........