PDA

View Full Version : New TN/NC ATC Guidebook

Tennessee Viking
01-22-2009, 00:02
I heard that the new 13th edition of the ATC TN/NC guidebook should be out now or any day now. Has anyone seen it yet?

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2009, 06:35
Haven't checked this morning, but as of 8:00 last night it still wasn't available. Back orders were due to start shipping 1/20, but the website hadn't changed.

Stands to reason it would change, just as I finished sectioning the Smokies (took a year and a half to get through there. I'm trying to set a new record.) and this April or May I'm just starting to use my old set I've been drooling over for two years. Maybe I'll just buy the maps and hope the relocation aren't that severe. My non-hiking wife mentioned using a set to track my (lack of) progress.

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2009, 07:24
*sigh* Wouldn'tcha know it, they DID change the website overnight! Now available. (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=62&compid=1)

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2009, 07:28
My mistake, I don't have my contacts in yet. That link is to the new updated Ga/NC guide. NC/TN still not available.

Hikes in Rain
02-08-2009, 12:33
...and the new maps are clutched in my sweaty little hands. So far, I've only looked closely at the section between Sam's Gap and I-40, since that's the section I plan to take in late April or early May, and it's never too early to obsess, er, plan. :sun

As far as I can see, there aren't too many relocations or revisions in that section. I did notice:

Rice Creek Road no longer goes through Rice Gap? I assume it's been abandoned or is otherwise impassible there. Does anyone know for sure?

Shelton Graves site has moved closer to the 1st spring up to Big Butt. I assume that one map was wrong, and further assume the new map has the corrected location. I don't imagine they really moved the graves. :) I think I read somewhere here that they're 5.2 miles from Devils Fork Gap, which would be about right on the new map. Might need water about that time, and they'd be a good landmark..

The series of trails near Flint Gap no longer shown. Similarly, the trail down from Pounding Mill Gap is also no longer shown. A few others here and there. Unmaintained and no longer used? Not a big deal, but I am curious.

Several towns (?) marked “historical” are not reflected on new map. Boomer comes to mind, as does the Upper Paint Creek School. If I ever wanted to wander through a ghost town, better keep the old map.

Tennessee Viking
02-09-2009, 00:18
Where did you get yours guide/map set? I am supposed to have some photos in it.

From what I know, some of the previously depicted trails where access routes used by maintainers and forest service, which now are no longer used or accessible.

As for the Rocky Fork Tract near Flint Gap. It is now publicly owned land via USFS. I heard that the area has been GPSed, and will opened up for backcountry hiking and camping in the near future. It consists of a maze of old logging roads, and can get lost easily without GPS. Its advised to get a guided hike through the area.

Hikes in Rain
02-09-2009, 07:01
Congratulations on the photos! I got mine directly from ATC, and only got the map set. Original thought was that I could use one while hiking, and my wife could track my (lack of) progress and report where I went missing. Now I know you're published, I may need to go back for the guide!