PDA

View Full Version : bottle or canister?

wally
01-22-2009, 03:39
i'm scouting for stoves for a february start and was wondering whether to choose stoves that use canisters or bottles - which last longer, more efficient etc...

any comments appreciated

jrwiesz
01-22-2009, 04:51
i'm scouting for stoves for a february start and was wondering whether to choose stoves that use canisters or bottles - which last longer, more efficient etc...

any comments appreciated

I really like my Jetboil PCS; I also own the Jetboil GCS.:sun

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 05:00
Pocket Rocket

jersey joe
01-22-2009, 09:49
I am very happy with my Whisperlite.

Manwich
01-22-2009, 10:00
Pocket Rocket

One thing I'm happy to agree with LW on.

Overnighters, get the 3oz jetboil canister (it's lighter and smaller than the normal 4oz canisters) with a pocket rocket, longer section hikes you can run with the 8oz canisters. I never use the 4oz canisters, just because the 3oz ones have enough fuel I'll need anyway and fit better into my GSI Soloist Cooking System

snowhoe
01-22-2009, 10:06
If you start in Feb you might have a little of a hard time keeping you stove going because of the cold. I love my jet boil and would rather use it than any other stove. But you do have limits with this stove. You really cant do some REAL backcountry cooking with it. You cant, lets say make pancakes. I think you should see if you can pick up a used bottle stove for the cold months and then maybe buy a new pocket rocket or jet boil. With the canister stoves you can also buy a lantern to go on the canister if you need some extra light.

slugger
01-22-2009, 10:07
I am very happy with my Whisperlite.
I agree. To each his own.

I would suggest going to your local shop and trying them all out. I know I went to REI when I was shopping for a stove and turned a bunch of different ones on.

SkinnyT
01-22-2009, 10:28
I know people like to dog the whisper, but it's too dependable for me to leave. Pocket rocket is cool, but I just don't like dealing with those canisters.

enjoy either way.

Deadeye
01-22-2009, 11:15
"dealing with canisters"? I don't get it. Ya screw on the stove and light it... instant fire. I'd rather deal with the empty canister than re-filling the whisperlite bottle - you can't always buy the small quantities of stove fuel, and then you're stuck with the excess. Agreed, canisters ain't the cheapest fuel out there, but I don't use much, and the 8oz canister lasts me more than a week. as always, YMMV

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 11:17
"dealing with canisters"? I don't get it. Ya screw on the stove and light it... instant fire.

yup. no mess, no fuss. simple

wally
01-22-2009, 11:58
ok then - so if i go for a liquid fuel stove (that uses a bottle), how easy is it to get a refill along the trail?

thanks for the comments so far

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 12:02
ok then - so if i go for a liquid fuel stove (that uses a bottle), how easy is it to get a refill along the trail?

real easy

flemdawg1
01-22-2009, 13:27

If you get a dual fuel model, you can refill at any gasoline pump.

mudcap
01-22-2009, 13:47
Another vote for the Pocket Rocket. So simple to use. I am a stove collector,and it always seems I go to the PR. Most of the rest I play with at home,or car camping.

mudcap
01-22-2009, 13:55
One thing I'm happy to agree with LW on.

Overnighters, get the 3oz jetboil canister (it's lighter and smaller than the normal 4oz canisters) with a pocket rocket, longer section hikes you can run with the 8oz canisters. I never use the 4oz canisters, just because the 3oz ones have enough fuel I'll need anyway and fit better into my GSI Soloist Cooking System

Totem,

Are you saying the pocket Rocket will fit inside the soloist with the 3 oz jetboil canister? I have the PR and the soloist,but no jetboil canister to try it.
Thanks

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2009, 14:06
Either way, for a Feb start, bring plenty of fuel, like double what you might take in summer: it's always colder and windier out, the water is colder, you'll want more hot food and beverages, etc.

If you go with a canister stove in cold weather below 30 deg or so just warm the cannister up by putting it in your jacket for a while and also sleeping with it at night. That way the fuel is warm and vaporizes better. Put your water bottles in your sleeping bag as well so you have water, not ice, in the morning.

Mags
01-22-2009, 15:19
A popular question..which is the best stove?

As I like to say, there is NO best stove. There is only
the best for a given situation, hiking style, time of year, personal
preference and so on.

I'll just link to an article I wrote. :)

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html

And in the end? It is just a stove. Gear is the least important part of the outdoor experience. :)

Manwich
01-22-2009, 17:00
Totem,

Are you saying the pocket Rocket will fit inside the soloist with the 3 oz jetboil canister? I have the PR and the soloist,but no jetboil canister to try it.
Thanks

http://bayimg.com/image/lanaoaabc.jpg

Yes, Mudcap. This is how I pack mine ^^^ (With a 4oz canister, at the time)

On the bottom, in the little black felt thing the soloist came with, I keep the pocket rocket and some matches (and an extra strike pad.)

You can put a 4oz Canister in there too. You then invert the Cup (open side down) and it goes over the top of the canister (only a bit on a 4oz, but it completely goes around a 3oz. I keep a spare matches-strike-pad taped to the canister (this doesn't last long because of precip from the cooling gases)

The 4oz configuration will prevent the lid from closing tightly, but you can "lock it" in place with the orange locking handle it has.

I also keep a titanium spoon in the bowl (bent out of shape, nobody lecture me on how this will eventually break it, its been a year and its been fine)

mudcap
01-22-2009, 20:30
http://bayimg.com/image/lanaoaabc.jpg

Yes, Mudcap. This is how I pack mine ^^^ (With a 4oz canister, at the time)

On the bottom, in the little black felt thing the soloist came with, I keep the pocket rocket and some matches (and an extra strike pad.)

You can put a 4oz Canister in there too. You then invert the Cup (open side down) and it goes over the top of the canister (only a bit on a 4oz, but it completely goes around a 3oz. I keep a spare matches-strike-pad taped to the canister (this doesn't last long because of precip from the cooling gases)

The 4oz configuration will prevent the lid from closing tightly, but you can "lock it" in place with the orange locking handle it has.

I also keep a titanium spoon in the bowl (bent out of shape, nobody lecture me on how this will eventually break it, its been a year and its been fine)

Totem,

Thanks for the info! I just tried your system,works perfect! I am one happy camper. I am using the MSR 4 oz. I can not find the JB 3 oz locally. Very cool info,much appreciated. I tried it at one time,but did not invert the bowl/mug over top of the canister.

Feral Bill
01-22-2009, 22:10
I have been using the same SVEA 123 for 40 years. It has never failed. Hard to find in shops, google for on line dealers.

mudcap
01-22-2009, 23:24
I have been using the same SVEA 123 for 40 years. It has never failed. Hard to find in shops, google for on line dealers.

Bill, I love my 123s too. I have passed a few along here on WB. Everyone seems to love them. They are fool-proof in my opinion.

Panzer1
01-23-2009, 01:12
If you go with a canister stove in cold weather below 30 deg or so just warm the cannister up by putting it in your jacket for a while and also sleeping with it at night. That way the fuel is warm and vaporizes better. Put your water bottles in your sleeping bag as well so you have water, not ice, in the morning.

If your going to put your cold canister in your sleeping bag on a cold January/February night you should have a extra warm sleeping bag and a full length mattress. This is because putting a cold canister in your bag is like sleeping with a large ice cube. You need to gear up a little extra for that.

Panzer

Deadeye
01-23-2009, 09:40
Bill, I love my 123s too. I have passed a few along here on WB. Everyone seems to love them. They are fool-proof in my opinion.

I wonder if this is colored by fond memories. I used a Svea for many years and thought it was great, but when I dig out old journals, I see that it failed on many occassions. I have yet to have a failure of any of my canister stoves.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2009, 09:42
i never had any failures on my PEAK 1 which i carried for thousands of miles

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2009, 10:20
If your going to put your cold canister in your sleeping bag on a cold January/February night you should have a extra warm sleeping bag and a full length mattress. This is because putting a cold canister in your bag is like sleeping with a large ice cube. You need to gear up a little extra for that.

Panzer

A 110 gram gas canister weighs about 6 oz, or roughly 0.25% of the mass of a 2400 oz (150 lb) person. With a 2400 oz heat generating human at 98 deg F and a relatively very small 6 oz mass (at even 0 deg F), its effect on the overall thermal mass and system inside a sleeping bag is negligible. No extra gearing up is required. The canister will be warm by morning. As to it feeling like an ice cube, I wasn't suggesting spooning with it when you first bring it in.:rolleyes:

yaduck9
01-23-2009, 10:23
Can't decide?

Primus Multi Fuel or Primus Omni Fuel. When it gets cold run white gas, or Unleaded, Or take your canister and turn it upside down for liquid feed.

Down Sides; Its expensive at full retail. Its a bit heavy, for a stove ( 12 oz ? ) And noisy while it runs.

Up Side; Reliable, Can find fuel anywhere, Ice Breaker for conversations.

http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store-products-319295-Primus-Omni-Fuel-Stove-_40419791.html

snowhoe
01-23-2009, 10:33
Mags is right its not about the gear its about the adventure.

Panzer1
01-23-2009, 11:39
its effect on the overall thermal mass and system inside a sleeping bag is negligible.

Well it may not effect the "overall thermal mass" but when I put my cold canister in the foot of my sleeping bag, it makes my feet colder, not my "overall thermal mass", just my feet.

Panzer

jrwiesz
01-31-2009, 05:17

"He with the most gear wins"!!!:banana

Feral Bill
01-31-2009, 12:10
"He with the most gear wins"!!!:banana
Don't be silly. He with the coolest gear wins.;)

jrwiesz
02-06-2009, 13:01
Don't be silly. He with the coolest gear wins.;)

Crazy!

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/CRZ0009/Crazy-Creek-Cradle-Lounger-Camping-Chair.html

Nuf said.

Tinker
02-06-2009, 15:28

Right, but if your stove fails to operate you might be in for more adventure than you bargained for. :D

Liquid fuel stoves rarely fail and burn very hot.
Cannister stoves almost never fail and burn almost as hot.
Alcohol stoves never fail (unless you crush them or douse them with water) and don't burn as hot as the other two.

Cannister fuel tends to be expensive, because of the cannister itself, and white gas (Coleman, etc.) is less expensive per gallon than denatured alcohol.
Both liquid fuel and cannister stoves usually simmer pretty well.
Alcohol stoves that can simmer tend to be heavier than those that can't.

In very cold weather, your alcohol stove may consume so much fuel that a heavier cannister or liquid fuel stove may be lighter, when the weight of the fuel is added in.

Cannister stoves with remote cannisters work well in the cold when the cannister is inverted, but they tend to be almost as heavy as liquid fuel stoves due to the added plumbing.