PDA

View Full Version : VA Section Hike -Mar to May 09

rockdawg69
01-22-2009, 09:33
I am planning a section hike from Damascus to Harper's Ferry starting in mid to late March.
1) I'm looking for advice on temps and weather conditions from start to about mid-April, especially over the Mt Rogers area. I was planning to use a hammock for this section. I have the gear for most conditions to below 15 degrees and have camped to below 10.
2) What are best options for re-supply once I reach SNP as I think most of the campgrounds/camp stores may only be open weekends once I reach that area around end of April? Or am I wrong on park opennings?

slugger
01-22-2009, 12:04
I don't think It will get below 10F at night. I know I went last year in mid april and it was around 15-20F at night.

As far as resupply goes.. HERE (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/facilities-opening-schedule.htm) is a list of the dates that things open in Shenandoah.

Blissful
01-22-2009, 14:38
Check the NPS web site (dot gov) for opening dates for waysides and stores in Shenandoah (I can't get on today or I would have provided the link). You can definitely resupply at Big Meadows then. Some also hitch to Luray for supplies.

It can get cold in March in VA and warm as well. Prepare for all kinds of weather, even snow.

rockdawg69
01-23-2009, 20:56
Thanks Blissful and Slugger. NPS site has the dates and it looks like they will be open when I get there.
Blissful, looks like you caught the Easter snowstorm in '07. We got stuck in Gatlinburg for 4 days but still had snow when we got started again. The day before the storm was pretty bad also - high winds and 30 degree temps.