PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions in Harriman State Park (NY)

lunatic
01-22-2009, 10:31
I'm thinking of getting in a few days hiking this weekend to finish testing my gear before it gets even colder, so I'm wondering if anyone knows the current trail conditions there? Is there much snow left from the recent storm or anything else I should be aware of before I head up there? I've never hiked there between Nov and March, so I'm not sure what to expect.

thanks.

L

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2009, 10:37
someone has a shortcut to the trail weather, last sunday I went to carbondale PA near NY and it was 10 inches and it doens't melt fast enough, With such short sunlight and high snow I would not be on a trail in NY at this time.

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php?section=9

http://www.weatherstreet.com/local_forecast_files/pennsylvania-snow-cover.htm

lunatic
01-22-2009, 10:50
Thanks for the info Wise Old Owl. That's what I was worried about.

Johnny Thunder
01-22-2009, 14:07
Yeah dude...there's still snow there. I was in Central Park yesterday and there was still snow there. And we probably got 4 or 5 fewer inches over the past 2 weeks with no days warm enough to melt any of it.

audiophile
01-22-2009, 14:10
Before the big storm there was a few inches of snow with a little layer of ice on top but when I went last weekend there's just more fluffy snow on top. It's not too bad but bring crampons or other traction devices to help out with the ups and downs.

Ender
01-22-2009, 14:12
And FYI, it's supposed to snow again this weekend. Just a little here in the city, but probably more up in Harriman. It would probably be fantastic to be there then as long as you have the proper gear. If not though, it would be miserable.

lunatic
01-22-2009, 17:28
Thank you all for the information. Now I just need to decide what to do. Been out on several 3 - 7 day hikes in the last few months, but I wanted to get in at least one more before I begin my thru on Feb. 26th. Probably won't happen though.

Thanks again.
L

audiophile
01-22-2009, 17:32
If you do go out let me know! I'd love come pick your brain about your thru and see what gear you got you got going. :)

lunatic
01-22-2009, 17:44
audiophile, i'll definitely contact you if i go out any time between now and the end of feb. thanks for the offer. like to get feedback about my gear and plans.

gregor
01-23-2009, 09:54
I plan on going up saturday for a day hike. Today is supposed to be above freezing, so probably a little melt today, freeze tonight = a bunch of ice or a good crust. I want to get out and try my microspikes. I'll post here what conditions are like if i go.

gregor
01-25-2009, 15:57
I was in Harriman for a few hours today and other than it being a little nippy it was nice out. As for snow, there is a couple of inches of extremely well packed snow/ice on the trails. So it was actually easy going. I made good time, that being said, I wouldn't think about stepping onto a trail without some kind of traction device. People i saw had everything from yaktraks (they were sliding all around) to full on 10 point crampons (probably a little overkill). I tested out my microspikes and they were perfect for conditions i encountered. I'd say that for around the harriman/northern NJ area the Kahtoola microspikes are the best thing going. So if you are going to hit the trails just have some decent traction with you and it's all good.

audiophile
01-25-2009, 17:21
I went today too and the trail was awesome. It's a little icy around bare rocks but otherwise it's nicely compacted and good hiking. I didn't even use crampons or stablicers.

scamp_80
02-19-2009, 19:56
I was thinking of going for a hike in Harriman this weekend. Anyone have any info. on the trail conditions right now? Any particular places to avoid due to poor conditions? I'm assuming I'll need to bring some gaitors and microspikes.....

YoungMoose
02-19-2009, 20:29
i live right near there. like 10 minutes away and there is no snow left. its just muddy. So anyone who says the trail is bad is lying trust me.

NYCHiker
03-26-2009, 16:14
For future questions regarding trail conditions in Harriman (and New York generally), you might consider asking at the NY/NJ Trail Conference forum. They finally relaunched the website (www.nynjtc.org (http://www.nynjtc.org)) and added the forum.

mykl
02-16-2010, 11:50
I don't like the new set up of the NYNJTC forum, its stacked. Its not as active at all anymore since they redesigned it.