PDA

View Full Version : Trailrunners

Frau
01-22-2009, 15:29
I have two different pair of trailrunners, both of which I really like. I really like them for everyday wear AND for hiking UNTIL they get what I call mushy. the mesh is wonderful and breathable and after just a little wear gets mushy. That is okay around town and on nice smooth soft trails, but not on rocky or otherwise uneven surfaces. The shoes are too good to throw away but just don't stick to my feet the way they should, after just a few months. I have a pair of Nikes and a some Merrell Ventilators. I can't imagine I am the only one with this problem.

How often do you trailrunner wearers have to get a new pair? Are there more substantial trail runners out there, that last longer?

Tanx,

Frau

Phreak
01-22-2009, 15:32
I logged approximately 1400 miles on my last pair of trail runners. I wear Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR. I should have replaced them around 1000-1100 miles but never got around to it.

flemdawg1
01-22-2009, 15:45
I'm no thru hiker, but I would look for a trail running shoe w/ a midsole stiffner like a shank or a medial post (a second stiffer foam that is on the interior side of the shoe). An online subscription would rave about it's "stability". Possible match: Brooks Adrenaline ASR.

skinewmexico
01-22-2009, 15:51
I love my Salomons; have several pairs.

garlic08
01-22-2009, 16:45
I get 500 to 600 miles out of my New Balance 811s, but they feel noticeably "flatter" in the sole after as little as 100. No change in support that I've noticed, it's mainly in the sole for me. I can push them to 750, but the uppers are destroyed by then. Any idea how many miles you're getting?

Wags
01-23-2009, 00:29
i hike only in my trail runners, after they get worn down pretty much they become my work shoes, and i get a new pair :D

my normal walkaround shoes are just running sneakers. nikes

Frau
01-23-2009, 07:41
I rotate the mushy ones to work shoes, too. I do not keep track of how many miles I hike. Nessmuk keeps track for himself so I can only guessimate from that. I was hiking in Hi Tecs until I bought the Moab Ventilators last spring. I wore them until the inner lining wore through, so then bought the Vasque Breezes. I don't wear the trail runners in winter.

In otherwords, I really have no idea how many miles I have on them. I just expect them to last at least a year.

When they get mushy my feet slide forward in the shoes gong downhill and I get toejammed. Sometimes they slide across the top of my foot, which does not good for balance.

I am wondering about the Innov8 shoes some folks love. Any advice? It is much easier to find Salamons than Innov8s.

Quoddy
01-23-2009, 09:46
I am wondering about the Innov8 shoes some folks love. Any advice? It is much easier to find Salamons than Innov8s.
I've used Inov-8's for several years, and don't use anything else now. Because of their extremely light weight I've found them to begin to wear out treadwise, and to some extent meshwise, by the 500 mile mark... but it does vary with trail harshness. They can be used beyond that, but I usually switch to new ones and relegate the old ones to non trail use abound town. Although I like the tread on the Roclite versions, I usually go with the Terroc's because of the slightly wider toe box.

bruchko
01-23-2009, 10:01
Check them out... They are fantastic trail runner shoes and you can generally find them for a good price on the web. They run a little narrow so if you have wide feet, it may not be the best solution.

Frau
01-23-2009, 10:36
I do have wide feet and a high arch.

I may be expecting too much from trail runners, although I KNOW I do not have near 1000 on mine. The Moabs were great the first 3-4 months and then got sloppy. Maybe if I use two pair of socks....

Fr.

Old Grouse
01-23-2009, 18:49
I absolutely love my Terrocs but have found them too light and flexible. I developed Morton's Neuroma and the podiatrist recommended something a lot less flexible. I'm now wearing Montrail Hardrocks for hiking but still wear (and love) my Terrocs for more "social" purposes.

mudhead
01-23-2009, 19:01
I rotate the mushy ones to work shoes, too. I do not keep track of how many miles I hike. Nessmuk keeps track for himself so I can only guessimate from that. I was hiking in Hi Tecs until I bought the Moab Ventilators last spring. I wore them until the inner lining wore through, so then bought the Vasque Breezes. I don't wear the trail runners in winter.

In otherwords, I really have no idea how many miles I have on them. I just expect them to last at least a year.

When they get mushy my feet slide forward in the shoes gong downhill and I get toejammed. Sometimes they slide across the top of my foot, which does not good for balance.

I
I think you are getting all you can out of your footwear. Inner lining wearing out=done for me. Forget a year. Easy to jot on a calendar- day's mileage, until you get a handle on it. I did that comparing running shoes, noticed a dropoff at 100, 300, 5-600 miles. At that point it varies on the shoe, even with the same model, for me.

You would be suprised how quick you can pile up miles dayhiking.