PDA

View Full Version : wow, harpers ferry outfitters...

jamey
01-22-2009, 18:05
While i don't work for / get paid from/ not have any affiliation with the harpers ferry outfitters before today, I DO want to put a plug in for them! I'm sure most thru hikers have stopped at this establishment on their way through but today was my first experiance with them.

I've been doing research and putting together a gear wishlist. Well, as the nearest outfitter to me is a hour and a half away and does not carry some of the gear i want i decided to show around online.

I came across some leki treking poles on ebay that harpers ferry had for sale. I called to see if they wouldn't mind helping me with a few of my gear questions. Not only did they take the time to answer all my questions and offer advice, they beat the price on EVERY piece of gear i was looking to buy! So if your looking to buy new gear it is def worth your time to give these guys a call.

below is the gear i wanted/got and what it cost me. (i searched on trailspace.com/ebay/all the price comparison web sites before buying)

osprey aether 70 $179.00
(they didn't have the color i wanted so special ordered)

leki corklite trekking poles $77.00

mountian hardware phantom 15 $266.00

MSR titan kettle $39.95

Total for shipping, $17.95

if someone finds a better price please post so im not leading someone astray!!!

Sly
01-22-2009, 18:10
Laura's cool...

I bought my pair of Lekis there 12 years ago and are still using them. Of course, Leki has rebuilt them several times since...

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2009, 18:11
These are great folks and run one of the finest Outfitters on (or near) the Trail. Nice of you to let folks know.

Mocs123
01-22-2009, 19:12
I bought a WM bag there four years ago at 20% off. You don't see people discount WM bags very often.

fehchet
01-22-2009, 19:16
It is a great store. It's almost like a adventure.

Worldwide
01-22-2009, 19:29
I think it is against WM's wishes to discount their products. Thus their restrictions on who can sell their product.

Arizona
01-22-2009, 19:37
Good selection and great people running the store, but sky high prices.

Frick Frack
01-22-2009, 19:37
HFO went way beyond the call of duty to help warranty our JetBoil after it died just days before we arrived. They are awesome!

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2009, 20:10
I have shopped at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry for many, many years, and became friendly with the proprietors. Over the years, when visiting, or passing thru on a hike, I've frequently helped them out during busy times. In the process, I became very familiar with their inventory.

The vast majority of their goods are sold for MSRP, i.e the retail price suggested by the manufacturer of the item.

Many items sell for less, and there are always lots of top quality goods on sale.

I therefore must disagree with the poster who felt that the prices here were
"sky high." I have not discovered this to be the case.

Frick Frack
01-22-2009, 20:17
Good selection and great people running the store, but sky high prices.

Huh? You must have been looking at all the "Life is Good" useless inventory...they are very fair on equipment/technical clothing pricing.

gregugadawg
01-22-2009, 20:23
Most people complain about retail prices are comparing them to the internet. They don't understand that retail stores have overhead to pay for while most stores on the internet contact the wholesaler and the product is directly shipped from them and they never have to stock a single product or handle inventory. Most places will match internet prices but there are no places that will list for the same as the internet.

Blissful
01-22-2009, 20:26
I saw some good prices when I was there last with their sale, etc, but nothing I needed, unfortunately.

Arizona
01-22-2009, 20:54
The vast majority of their goods are sold for MSRP, i.e the retail price suggested by the manufacturer of the item.

I completely agree with that. But MSRP is also known as "full retail mark up." It is the maximum the manufacturer wants a retailer to charge. But retailers are allowed to charge less than MSRP. I would rather shop at a place that discounts from MSRP, not marks up to full MSRP.

I understand that the retailer needs to make a profit, but other retailers are selling the same gear for less.

fehchet
01-22-2009, 20:56
They carry Minus 33 merino wool longies. I got a great price and mailed them home.

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2009, 21:29
Arizona:

You were a bit selective with your quoting.

I did indeed say that many of their items were at MSRP.

But I further pointed out that many are, in fact, less. And some items are a lot less.

In the main, tho, I think their prices are in line with comparable top-of-the line specialty outfitter shops. They don't sell junk, so some of their gear may seem expensive. But it is top-shelf goods, sold by reputable people, who provide customer service. So I don't think their prices are sky-high. I think they are perfectly fair, and are in line with competing shops on the Trail and elsewhere. Because of their unique location and because hikers always have gear problems, a shop like this could indeed stick it to hikers if they wanted, and take advantage of people. To their credit, just like the other top outfitters on or near the A.T., this shop does not and has never done that.

garlic08
01-22-2009, 21:59
I stopped there last May. It was right after Trail Days and they had just got back from Damascus with boxes of stuff. My partner had lost the snow stake he was using as a latrine tool. It's hard trying to replace a snow stake in the Southeast. Laura was real nice and told him, "Uhh, we're out of them right now." Kinda funny.

Captain Blue
01-22-2009, 22:00
Does Garlic Man still work at the Harpers Ferry Outfitter?

wrongway_08
01-22-2009, 22:02
Great people, always like going there and seeing what new stuff they got in. Bought a good deal of stuff from them.

Bought one of those "ultra light weight" hammocks, has held up great. I use it while day hiking, find two good trees and toss it up, crash out for a bit and keep on hiking!

garlic08
01-22-2009, 22:07
Does Garlic Man still work at the Harpers Ferry Outfitter?

He left town in the winter or spring, I heard. I was looking forward to meeting him, we're garlic brothers.

Arizona
01-22-2009, 22:32
"You were a bit selective with your quoting."
Yes I was, because that was the quote I agreed with.

And you are correct that they sell top-shelf goods, sold by reputable people, who provide customer service. My only point is that their prices are very high, often higher than many other outfitters.

Having worked for an outfitter in the early 90's, I had access to the wholesale price lists. I think people would be shocked to know how high mark up actually is. We carried a tent that REI retailed for $300. We sold it for $225, and the wholesale cost was $112. The only difference between buying it at REI and buying it at our store? More profit for REI (less money in the customer's pocket).

elray
01-22-2009, 22:49
I've dealt with Laura several times, she's a real Sweetheart and she hikes. We ran into her and a friend doing a long section PA a couple years ago. Kudos to her and her store!

shoe
01-22-2009, 23:35
I found it interesting that they didn't know there was a hostel practically right next door to them.

Frick Frack
01-22-2009, 23:45
I found it interesting that they didn't know there was a hostel practically right next door to them.

Karan prefers it to be called a "friendly". Another excellent buisness in Harper's Ferry.

Skyline
01-23-2009, 00:23
The great thing about most "brick-and-mortar" outfitters—especially the smaller ones—is that they are often staffed by very experienced folks who are at home in the backcountry themselves. They know the gear, and a lot more, because they've "been there, done that." Many give excellent customer service and will give you as much of their time as you need to touch, use, and correctly fit the gear you're interested in.

That they can do all of that and still offer competitive prices—even be willing to sometimes meet competitors' pricing when those competitors don't put forth 10% of their effort—is amazing. And some still make time to do gear repairs, exchanges, and help out hikers by using their relationships with manufacturers to get them on their way faster with equipment swaps.

Comparing a storefront outfitter to an internet bargain bin, and only considering price, is comparing strawberries and onions. We need the help the local outfitter provides. We need to support him or her whenever we can so they will be around next month, next year.

Sue_Bird
01-23-2009, 01:12
Got my Osprey Aura from them, they measured and fitted me, gave me plenty of time to try it on/walk around the store/call my friend and freak out about a $200 purchase. I was very impressed. Looking forward to stopping back in on my way north.

JAK
01-23-2009, 08:55
Outfitters are expensive because they need to be, but its nice to have them around. It is nice to have a good mix of stuff, most of which people don't need but buy anyway.
Its kinda like foraging. If its a good store you can still find something useful and reasonable now and then. It doesn't need to be every day. We only need so much stuff.
The rest of the stuff is amusing if nothing else. You can't really blame outfitters when people buy some stuff. It keeps them around to sell other stuff.

It would be nice to see more of what I use, but I get by.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2009, 09:09
people spend a year or two planning and buying gear, hit the trail in georgia, then 30 miles into it drop a ton of money on more gear. i don't get it :-?

mustangpwr98
01-23-2009, 09:10
I dont know where you get off being exspensive?? I went there looking for a real outfitter instead of junk. They carry a lot of lightweight gear that most around here don't.
I had bought a aether 85 and it was too big. I went there looking for a smaller pack and ended up with a vapor trail. Just what i needed...She tried several packs on and thats the one i wanted.

Skyline
01-23-2009, 13:18
Outfitters are expensive because they need to be, but its nice to have them around. It is nice to have a good mix of stuff, most of which people don't need but buy anyway.
Its kinda like foraging. If its a good store you can still find something useful and reasonable now and then. It doesn't need to be every day. We only need so much stuff.
The rest of the stuff is amusing if nothing else. You can't really blame outfitters when people buy some stuff. It keeps them around to sell other stuff.

It would be nice to see more of what I use, but I get by.

Not sure I would label outfitters as "expensive." Compared to most well known and reputable internet sites, I've found their prices to be close to theirs; at most about 10% higher. And some of them will match the price of a reputable internet site or storefront competitor if you can prove the lower price.

There are certainly internet sites out there hardly anyone's ever heard of with a few items marked down so far I find it suspicious. Remember the adage, "If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is." If they have a sleeping bag, say, on "sale" for $89 that most other retailers sell for $220--be wary. You're likely getting something less than you expected--if you get it at all. And can we talk about customer service and return policies?

JAK
01-23-2009, 13:22
To me anything more than $20 is expensive. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm not saying this particular outfitter is expensive compared to other outfitters or internet sites, I'm just saying most people are willing to spend more than they need to on stuff, not just hiking stuff but all stuff, so any business needs to cater to that if they want to run a business.

JAK
01-23-2009, 13:33
There are basically only 3 things for hiking I spend much more than $20 on.
1. Sleeping Bag. This is the only essential thing over $100.
2. Big Light Pack. Got my Jam2 for $100.
3. Hand Knit Wool Sweater, and outfitter don't carry them.

I buy alot of $20 wool sweaters, but everyone should have one really nice hand knit sweater.

That's not enought to keep any outfitter in business. I know that. All I'm saying is I appreciate them being around, even though they aren't really needed. People can always make their own stove, and use practical everyday clothes, non cotton, and a poncho/tarp to go hiking. The rest is 99% marketing and merchandising, just like most of the other stuff we do in North America. Its not essential. That's all I'm saying. It's mostly just eye candy.

Tinker
01-23-2009, 13:49
people spend a year or two planning and buying gear, hit the trail in georgia, then 30 miles into it drop a ton of money on more gear. i don't get it :-?
Probably because they spend more time "planning" (getting other people's ideas drummed into their heads) instead of hiking before the Thru. Hiking is the only way to sort out what you really need and what you think you need.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2009, 13:52
and Mtn.xings will gladly relieve you of cash

KG4FAM
01-23-2009, 14:36
There are certainly internet sites out there hardly anyone's ever heard of with a few items marked down so far I find it suspicious. Remember the adage, "If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is." If they have a sleeping bag, say, on "sale" for $89 that most other retailers sell for $220--be wary. You're likely getting something less than you expected--if you get it at all. And can we talk about customer service and return policies?I have bought several things off these no name internet outfitters and have never had a problem. I got a brand new Jetboil a year or two ago for $45 shipped.

If you do have a problem with something not getting shipped or if you think your product is somehow a knock off or if it is not what was advertised and trying to talk to the company doesn't work then dispute it with your credit card. I always pay with credit card for that reason but have never had to dispute anything from these little internet outfitters.

Return policies at "name brand" places ain't that great either. Most places (excepting the obvious REI ect) once you are in the woods it is yours. They may give you a deal on another item if the first didn't work that great for you, but they are not going to take something back just because you decided that it is not absolutely perfect for you after it has been used and is not in resellable condition.

I would agree that customer service at some places sucks, but like I said if things are not settled then dispute the charge and you are good to go. I have never had a bad deal with outdoor gear, but have had some real headaches with car parts over the internet.

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2009, 16:37
Hey Arizona:

Wouldn't do this to you, but your last post was kind of huffy.

Since you seem to be something of an authority on this, and since you STILL maintain that the prices at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry are "very high", then please tell us five full service outfitters on or near the A.T. that feature significantly LOWER prices for top-end goods.

Oooh, that one kinda hard.

Then give us three.

Oooh, still nothing yet?

Try one.

There'll be a long pause here.....

Fact is, when it comes to shops on or near the A.T., this poster is dead wrong. The prices in Harpers Ferry are perfectly fair and perfectly reasonable.

Arizona, I'm glad you worked for an outfitter in the early nineties, but last I checked, that was awhile ago. I've worked in just about every major major outfitter on the Trail in recent years, (including last year) and if I haven't worked in them, Lord knows I've spent enough time in them as a customer.

I'm not gonna comment on discount shops in Tuscon, but that's cuz I don't know anything about them.

Likewise, I'd temper your comments about outdoor shops on the A.T. There's nothing out of the ordinary or unusual about the prices charged at the shop in Harpers Ferry. But again, in regards to shops on or near the Appalachian Trail, please tell us what you're comparing these figures to.

And if you DON'T know much about shops on or near the A.T., perhaps it's time yopu acknowledged this.

sleeman13
01-23-2009, 17:06
Return policies at "name brand" places ain't that great either. Most places

LL Bean???

KG4FAM
01-23-2009, 17:12
Return policies at "name brand" places ain't that great either. Most places (excepting the obvious REI ect) once you are in the woods it is yours. They may give you a deal on another item if the first didn't work that great for you, but they are not going to take something back just because you decided that it is not absolutely perfect for you after it has been used and is not in resellable condition.

LL Bean???
falls into REI ect

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2009, 17:23
Another point to remember when talking about outdoor shops is the level of customer service you get. Almost without exception, one gets better swervice and MUCH more knowledgable help at small, independently owned and operated shops. In most cases, these places have really small staffs, many of whom have been there for years, and they're really on top of what's in stock in their stores and what the store offers. In many, if not most cases, the actual owner of the store or the general manager of the store is actually present, and deals with customers all day long. This is usually the person who doubles as the product buyer, i.e., this is the person who has used their knowledge and expertise to make the actual buying decisions for the shop.......if something is being sold in the store, THIS is the person who made that decision and can tell you WHY it's there and what it's good points are.

When it comes to backpacks and footwear (the two most important gear decisions you're gonna make), there's no comparing big stores with chains. Again, as a customer, you'll likely be dealing with the guy who actually decided what the store was going to be carrying. Believe me, these folks are all too happy to tell you why they made these decisions.

Time and time again, one sees this on the Trail, with people like Winton Porter and his staff in Neel Gap; Wayne Crosby and his people in Hot Springs;
Jeff and Tom and their associates at MRO in Damascus; and Laura and Ron in Harpers Ferry.

Don't get me wrong......there are certainly good folks working at the big stores.

But it's a crap shoot. When you go to the EMS in West Lebanon, NH, you might be dealing with manager Dave, who knows as much about gear as anyone I've ever met. Or more likely you might be dealing with some college kid who's been there all of three weeks who doesn't know how to measure your feet or your spine and doesn't even offer to. And while you might be smug about the fifteen bucks you just saved, you're gonna walk out of there with boots or a pack that doesn't fit right.

It's not worth it.

The big stores are a total crap shoot. At the smaller independent shops, you'll actually talk to people who KNOW what they're talking about, know what they're doing, and will do you right. The smaller shops can't win on pricing, as they buy in smaller quantities and don't get the same deals as the big guys. They can't offer the same return policies. They don't have the same floor space, so they're somewhat limited in what they carry, the number of different companies they stock, etc. In some ways, they simply can't keep up with the chains.

But where they can make a difference is in the level of customer service they provide, i.e. the time they give to their customers; the knowledge and expertise of their employees; and most of all, the committment to service that they know is integral to their survival in the cutthroat world of retail.

But absolutely, try and shop locally, and deal with small independent shops.
The level of service and satisfaction you get will be enormous, and this will, in the end, be much more significant than the few dollars you might save by shopping at a chain store or worse, on-line.

Arizona
01-23-2009, 18:16
Jack,

I’m not going to list outfitters that have better prices than the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry because I don’t want to advertise for any outfitters. But in thinking about it, I can’t think of a single outfitter that is MORE expensive than the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry. Somebody has to be the most expensive, and I think the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry might be one of the most expensive outfitters on the trail. Can you think of a more expensive outfitter? Let me know, I would be glad to hear about them.

Arizona, I'm glad you worked for an outfitter in the early nineties, but last I checked, that was awhile ago.
Yes it was, but last I checked, the principles of retail business (markup, wholesale prices, expenses, profit, MSRP, etc.) have not changed. Also, I let you know I worked there so that you would know I speak from experience.

Mocs123
01-23-2009, 19:13
I am not going to argue whether they are expensive or not, but most outfitters on the trail are not the cheapest. First off they have the captive audience, Secondly, they usually have very high rent to get there. Don't think there are not other outfitters that would kill to be on the AT.

I will say they they gave me a great price and great service when I shopped there four year ago. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to shop there again.

Downhill Trucker
01-23-2009, 19:27
They carry Minus 33 merino wool longies. I got a great price and mailed them home.

How are these? I was thinking of buying some to replace my old midweights...

My experience in the past with HFO is awesome. In the fall on a 100 mile section hike we stayed in Harpers at the midpoint. We left town early in the morn and my partner needed a few things from the store but it wasn't open. We were walking down to the river when one of the ladies who worked in the store drove by. She met us at Bears Den two days earlier. She stopped the car, asked us if we needed anything before we set off. My partner said he needed a few things and she tossed him the keys to the store, told him to go up and wait while she parked her car. THAT'S SERVICE. Very nice and I thought their prices were good.

fehchet
01-23-2009, 20:58
"How are these? I was thinking of buying some to replace my old midweights..."

The quick answer is the Minus 33 are great and hold up well. While the long sleeved shirt is pretty standard, the leggings have a panel in the front that goes around to the back so one does not have the mid stitch down into the crotch that Ibex, Smartwool, and Icebreaker do. Maybe I shouldn't tell you this but the set I purchased were off white in colour and I dyed them purple. Miss Janet liked them.

Blissful
01-23-2009, 21:36
and Mtn.xings will gladly relieve you of cash

Well, when they have what you need at that time, why not? They have to make a living too. Got my little front pack (just love it) and a pair of comfortable convertable pants. Used them the entire hike (well the pants I had to downsize due to lost weight but stayed with the brand). But the gloves he recommended I said no to and glad I did. I mean, you can always say no...

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 14:06
Nice duck, Arizona, but it was a real simple question, sorry you had trouble with it.

Tell us, thanks to your vast experience and expertise, which major Outfitters on or near the Appalachian Trail have significantly cheaper prices than the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry.

Or to put it another way, tell us which stores, in your opinion are better places for A.T. hikers to to shop and why.

You keep insisting that this place is overpriced. As yet, you've produced NO evidence to sustain this allegation.

Why is that, I wonder?

This should be fun.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2009, 14:11
Well, when they have what you need at that time, why not?

a hiker should need almost nothing besides food and fuel 30 miles into their trip yet you see them making huge purchases because someone is telling them they don't need one thing but should buy another thing. with the internet and books out today there's no reason to hit the trail without the proper stuff

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 14:16
Lone Wolf has a point. I love the folks at Neel Gap. They sell great stuff, have a great shop, great prices, and provide some of the finest customer service you'll see on the entire Trail.

But when folks need to extensively have themselves re-fitted just four days into their trip, this to me shows a person who did a poor job at the outset when it came to choosing the right equipment.

(And at Neel Gap, the decisions to switch out gear are voluntary. Nobody's forced or brow-beaten into buying new stuff. If people make the decision to replace a lot of their gear, that's THEIR decision, and nobody's compelling them to do it).

Lone Wolf
01-24-2009, 14:20
(And at Neel Gap, the decisions to switch out gear are voluntary. Nobody's forced or brow-beaten into buying new stuff. If people make the decision to replace a lot of their gear, that's THEIR decision, and nobody's compelling them to do it).

but the staff will not dissuade folks from making purchases either. it is a business. $$ comes first

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 14:29
And why should they dissuade them?

If that's what they want, then that's exactly what they should get.

Great country.

Jeff
01-24-2009, 14:41
Almost every independent outfitter will have higher prices than an online store. Yet, I doubt any owner is getting rich running such a place. There are more expenses than we can imagine operating a brick and mortar retail outfitter.

God bless them all!! I fear there will be fewer such establishments in the years ahead.:(

JAK
01-24-2009, 15:01
Lone Wolf has a point. I love the folks at Neel Gap. They sell great stuff, have a great shop, great prices, and provide some of the finest customer service you'll see on the entire Trail.

But when folks need to extensively have themselves re-fitted just four days into their trip, this to me shows a person who did a poor job at the outset when it came to choosing the right equipment.

(And at Neel Gap, the decisions to switch out gear are voluntary. Nobody's forced or brow-beaten into buying new stuff. If people make the decision to replace a lot of their gear, that's THEIR decision, and nobody's compelling them to do it).I'm not sure compelling is the right word. I think you meant nobody is forcing them. It is their job to compell. I think people should have the sense to keep in mind that outfitters are salespeople, like any other salespeople. They can be very compelling, but when they talk about stuff like safety, you never know for sure if they really mean it, or they are just being persuasive. I'm sure there are many that would never mix safety concerns with salesmanship, but how does the buyer know that. I think the point is that you can learn alot from outfitters, but they are not the most objective source of information. They should not be the experts you should be learning from. Who is? At the end of the day people have to learn from many sources but decide for themselves and from their own experiences.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2009, 15:03
And why should they dissuade them?

If that's what they want, then that's exactly what they should get.

Great country.

yeah but if i owned a shop and a gal comes to me mid-march and thinks she might wanna buy a hammock and never set one up or slept in one before, has perfectly good tent, i would tell her to hold off buying one til warmer weather. but if you're in it for the $$, go ahead and sell it to her and let her be miserable

Arizona
01-24-2009, 19:27
Nice duck, Arizona, but it was a real simple question, sorry you had trouble with it.

Tell us, thanks to your vast experience and expertise, which major Outfitters on or near the Appalachian Trail have significantly cheaper prices than the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry.

Or to put it another way, tell us which stores, in your opinion are better places for A.T. hikers to to shop and why.

You keep insisting that this place is overpriced. As yet, you've produced NO evidence to sustain this allegation.

Why is that, I wonder?

This should be fun.

Here is your evidence Jack:

The first outfitter that came to mind was Mt Rogers Outfitters. They don't have great prices either, but in my experience, they are not as ridiculous as the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry. Examples of regular prices:

Jetboil System
Harpers Ferry $99.95 (A high price, not a great price)
Mt Rogers $79.90 (Not great, but an ok price)

MSR XGK EX
Harpers Ferry $149.95 (A high price, not a great price)
Mt Rogers $129.95 (Not great, but an ok price)

Thermarest Z-lite
Harpers Ferry $34.95 (A high price, not a great price)
Mt Rogers $30.00 (Not great, but better than OHF)

I found more examples on the second and third outfitters that came to mind. But like I told you before, I'm not trying to promote any of the outfitters.

Jack, I didn't "have trouble with it." The trouble seems to be your lack of understanding of the phrase "great prices." The highest price or full retail price is NOT a great price, it is the OPPOSITE of great price. A great price is one that is significantly lower than the full retail price.

WritinginCT
01-25-2009, 00:06
Let me just preface this by saying that I've never been to OHF or dealt with them on gear in any fashion. My knowledge of them is through word of mouth only. However I have been spending an inordinate amount of time pricing and researching gear here there and everywhere.

Arizona I'm calling you on the price thing. There is a significant difference between "retail prices" and "ridiculous prices".

I did some quick research of some of the larger chains and internet dealers as well as looking through Google shopping for the lowest prices and this is what I found:

MSR XGK EX

REI $149.95
Campmor $125.95 (note this was also the lowest price per Google Shopping but is a sale price. Normally $139.95)
EMS $149.95
Backcounty.com $149.95
Moosejaw $149.95

Therm-a-rest Z-lite (REGULAR**)

REI $XX (doesn't list on the website)
Campmor $34.95
EMS $34.95
Backcounty.com $34.95
Moosejaw $34.95

The lowest Google price for this was $27.95 and was a sale – and normally sells for $34.95 through that company.

**note: everyone should be sure they are comparing pricing for the same size Z-lite

Jetboil system

REI $99.00
Campmor $99.95
EMS $99.95
Backcounty.com $99.95
Moosejaw $124.95 (but includes extra cup)

The lowest Google price was $69.99 **
**note: I'm not familiar w/Jetboil systems but isn't there more than one generation of them at this point? I don't know if this $69 one is the latest system or not.

So basically OHF are no higher on these and many of the other products I compared (especially as a walk-in customer who would pay no additional shipping fees). Which given that they are a single business in competition not only with other similar sized retailers but the big multi-state/store chains with huge web presences as well as marketing links direct from the manufacturers, I found myself impressed with their fair retail pricing.

Now the idea of coupling fair retail with good customer service (I have read nothing but good things about OHF both here and on other forums) would seem to be a win-win situation to me both as a customer and as a business owner.

But putting customer service aside and looking at things a little differently- you buy a Big Mac in town it costs you $4, buy that same Big Mac at an interstate rest area and it costs you $6.50. Why? Convenience. You buy a gallon of milk at the grocery store versus the gas station where you fill up and you pay more. Why? Convenience. So why would I expect bargain rate prices at an outfitter on the AT? Especially one that is an independent business trying to stay afloat in this economy and not a chain store.

Arizona, the way that you presented their prices as "ridiculous" is very misleading. Even in your own examples the pricing differences were not that vast. If a hiker reaches Harper's Ferry, WV and needs a piece of gear I feel safe in saying, as documented through my research as well as word of mouth, that they will be treated fairly if not better at the OHF. They are not gouging prices as far as I can tell given the available data, which sadly was how I had first interpreted your posts prior to doing my own research.

I'm personally looking forward to stopping in to OHF in 2011 when I hit that mid-way mark whether I need gear or not.

YMMV

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2009, 13:56
Great post, thanx for taking the time to check things out.

Arizona
01-25-2009, 16:43
Jack, you accused me of "ducking" your question. Now I have answered it, but you have ducked my question. From what I have seen, I believe that the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry is one of the most expensive outfitters on the trail (by the way, I was never comparing them to online only outfitters), so I will ask you again: Can you think of a more expensive outfitter that is near the AT?

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2009, 17:34
Arizona:

What I think is that the post above, by WritinginCT, pretty effectively said all that needs to be said here. The horse you're whaling on is pretty much dead.

But since you asked, I thought the stores in Gatlinburg ran high on some things. Ditto, Waynesboro, tho it's a great shop. Definitely Kent, CT, and also Williamstown MA and Manchester Center VT. Gorham NH, too, tho I haven't been there for awhile.

So yes, there are indeed stores that seem pricier to me than the Outfitter in HF.

But the differences aren't that significant, and probably aren't worth disscussing further.

Desert Reprobate
01-25-2009, 17:46
I haven't been on the AT yet but it seems from what I've read on WB, HF people do a great job of supporting the hikers on the AT. That is a consideration. They sold me a pair of trek poles that I am very happy with. When I get there next year, if I need something, they will have my business.

Johnny Thunder
01-25-2009, 18:15
[QUOTE=Desert Reprobate;765134HF people do a great job of supporting the hikers on the AT.[/QUOTE]

Arizona, have you been to Harper's Ferry?

Seriously, (with all of your retail business experience) imagine opening a backpacking outfitter in the middle of a national historic district and tell us how you're going to offer competitive prices to the few hikers who walk through your doors. Bonus, tell us how you're going to keep this business running with only 10% of your store stocked with tourist gear (e.g. "Life is Good").

The owners of HFO provide a service that few other business people could or even would. And, they do it while ignoring the limitless sums they could make by ignoring the backpacking crowd and diving full force into the tourist garbage market.

Arizona
01-25-2009, 18:24
Jack, the discussion between you and I started because I felt the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry had sky-high prices and you didn't. It is obvious to me that neither of us is going to convince the other.
Hopefully our discussion will get people to look for themselves.
As for me, I'm just going to vote with my pocketbook and not shop at Harpers Ferry again.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2009, 18:27
Gee, I'm sure there'll all busted up about that.

Let the record show, Arizona, that while several folks have came forward to praise this business and its proprietors, I can't recall anyone making an effort to agree with you.

End of story.

Arizona
01-25-2009, 18:49
Gee, I'm sure there'll all busted up about that.

Word gets around. I've seen other retail businesses charge too much and then go out of business.

End of story.

Thats it Jack, if you can't win a debate, just pack up your marbles and run home!

fehchet
01-25-2009, 19:33
Funny how folks get caught up in what ever they get caught up in and miss the point over all. This is what you have done Arizona. Nothing to grieve over. God luck in the future.

Arizona
01-25-2009, 20:21
Good luck to you fehchet. Enjoy the hike.

WritinginCT
01-26-2009, 03:33
Great post, thanx for taking the time to check things out.

Thanks! It was bothering me to believe that a business that I've only heard good things about would be taking advantage of customers by gouging prices so I had to investigate. IMO fair retail is exactly that - fair.

And I saw you mention the Kent outfitter as being high -unfortunately what I am finding is those wicked high prices on gear are too common in CT outside of the chain stores. I'm thinking there is a road trip to Campmor or maybe someplace north to be able to round out my gear list in my future. I love internet shopping but there are definitely things you need to be able to touch and feel and try on. (And I would seriously pay extra to be able to ditch the chauvinistic attitudes I keep finding locally- UGH).

TOW
01-26-2009, 08:35
HFO cares about the hikers...

mrc237
01-26-2009, 09:28
Thanks! It was bothering me to believe that a business that I've only heard good things about would be taking advantage of customers by gouging prices so I had to investigate. IMO fair retail is exactly that - fair.

And I saw you mention the Kent outfitter as being high -unfortunately what I am finding is those wicked high prices on gear are too common in CT outside of the chain stores. I'm thinking there is a road trip to Campmor or maybe someplace north to be able to round out my gear list in my future. I love internet shopping but there are definitely things you need to be able to touch and feel and try on. (And I would seriously pay extra to be able to ditch the chauvinistic attitudes I keep finding locally- UGH).

Most of my gear is from Campmor some in person most by WWW. Just keep this in mind, Campmor (store) is closed on Sundays.

Happy Feet
01-26-2009, 09:39
Just ordered a Minus 33 Merino Wool top and bottom that they have listed on ebay. Both are on sale for a pretty darn good price. Laura was very nice to deal with.

fehchet
01-26-2009, 16:32
so you got them from the Harpers Ferry out fitters on ebay? Just curious.

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2009, 19:07
This is great.

Arizona is now accusing me of taking my marbles and going home.

Well, first off, in Post #59, Arizona said this conversation was kinda pointless as neither of us was going to change the other guy's mind.

Yup. Exactly right. Couldn't agree more.

Which is why I said that the dialogue was old, that everything was pretty mcuh said, and that the thread was played out.

But no. According to AZ, I've withdrawn from the argument with my marbles, presumably because I can't win the debate. :rolleyes:

Um, here's the news:

Arizona's argument about the Outfitter in HF being a price-gouging overcharger was efffectively demolished in Post #53, above. We pointed this out to him, he decided to ignore it. So here's what we're left with: One guy (repeat, ONE guy) here has repeatedly whined about the prices at at one of the finest Outfitters on the Trail. In response, several folks said he was wrong, and at least one person gave a point by point rebuttal of his comments.

But he still thinks people are avoiding his argument and are afraid of it.

Um, no, bub, they're not. Any number of folks have come on here disputing your statements or disagreeing with them. To date, nobody, let's try that again, NOBODY, has come here to agree with them. That tell you anything?

But you have the nerve to say that people are refusing to talk to you about this?

Get real. The conversation is right there for people to see. The reason there's not much debate is because there's nothing TO debate. If this guy doesn't want to shop there any more, more power to him, I assure you, he won't be missed or mourned. But for him to suggest that anyone's ducking out of this discussion is BS. There's nothing to discuss anymore. We evidently have a disgruntled person who doesn't wanna shop here anymore. Fine. You can't please everyone, anyone who's ever run a business knows this. On the other hand, we have a great shop, run by great people, who have been taking care of A.T. hikers for years and will continue to do so.

So enough about packing up one's marbles if one can't win the debate. :rolleyes: There IS no debate. The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry is a great shop; it's run by great folkls; and it has earned respect and patronship by the Trail community. No one's running from this debate because there IS no debate.

The only one pounding this dead horse, Arizona, is you.

You don't wanna shop there ever again, if in fact, you ever did.

Fine.

Thousands of other folks will happily elect to do otherwise.

hikingtime
01-26-2009, 19:28
I see a couple people beating a dead horse.

MOWGLI
01-26-2009, 19:35
I see a couple people beating a dead horse.

:welcome to Whiteblaze.

A-Train
01-26-2009, 19:40
Jack,

Being a friend of the outfitter, rather than continually defending their prices (which are pretty fair to good IMO) why not volunteer to edit their website for them.

Your continual correcting of gramatical and spelling errors by posters makes me think you could vastly improve the HFO site which is in need of just that!

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2009, 19:41
Hikingtime:

Re. your observations....

Welcome to Whiteblaze, hope you stick around.

Arizona's welcome to his opinions, but he repeatedly decided to slag a place that has treated hikers great for many years. It's only natural that folks would call him out on it.

Mowgli, on the other hand, frequently likes to chime in on discussions and contribute nothing, except when there's a chance to criticize me. Then he's all over it.

You got something worthwhile to add here, Mowgli, or are you just enjoying being you? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2009, 19:43
Geez, A-Train, I haven't even SEEN their website in a long time.

And other than the Companion, if I'm gonna edit something, then I wanna get paid for it!!

MOWGLI
01-26-2009, 19:43
Mowgli, on the other hand, frequently likes to chime in on discussions and contribute nothing, except when there's a chance to criticize me. Then he's all over it.

I contribute frequently on the Other Trails forum. I'm not a One Trick Pony.

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2009, 19:49
You sure are a one-trick pony when it comes to me, Mowgli, and anyone that's been here more than 2 weeks has seen a bellyful of it. You've contributed nothing useful whatever here on this thread, except you jumped on the chance to talk about me.

Tired act.

Bad pony.

You need a new past time.

You got something to say about Harpers Ferry or their prices?

Seeing as how that's what this thread's about?

No? You don't.

Then take a walk and stop embarassing yourself.

A-Train
01-26-2009, 19:50
I contribute frequently on the Other Trails forum. I'm not a One Trick Pony.

Listening to The Boss much recently?

MOWGLI
01-26-2009, 19:53
http://www.angermanagementseminar.com/states/NewHampshire.html

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2009, 19:54
Who's angry?

You're the one started this nonsense.

Bad pony.

MOWGLI
01-26-2009, 19:54

I'm not much of a Springsteen fan anymore. Lots of Mark Knopfler though. Checkout Fleet Foxes if you haven't already.

jamey
01-26-2009, 20:12
arizona, why dont you find an outfitter that beats any of the prices i quoted in the first post of the thread.... you can't.

MOWGLI
01-26-2009, 20:20

As a result of this comment, I'm going to see The Wrestler tonight. Thanks. :)

A-Train
01-26-2009, 20:22
As a result of this comment, I'm going to see The Wrestler tonight. Thanks. :)

Not to drift too much, but yeah, I've heard great things, gotta see it myself.

The song is short, but good.

hikingtime
01-26-2009, 20:34
Thanks for the welcome everybody.

While there are some gougers on the trail, most of the outfitters I have visited are 'fair' priced.

the goat
01-26-2009, 21:31
the OHF is one of the finest establishments along the trail in my experience & it is run by two of the most good-hearted, friendly people that one could ever hope to run into along their journey.

the fact that they have great prices too is just icing on the cake!

TOW
01-27-2009, 10:08
Geez, A-Train, I haven't even SEEN their website in a long time.

And other than the Companion, if I'm gonna edit something, then I wanna get paid for it!!
And you should too, you are a darn good writer. A good writer grabs at a persons emotions and I garuntee you Jack Tarlin you can grab a persons emotion to the deepest level, but I truly think you ought to be a writer for Andy Rooney or someone of the make.......

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2009, 14:59
Thanx for the kind words, TOW, but Andy Rooney??

I don't work for commies. :D

And as to the shop in Harpers Ferry, there will be another REALLY great reason for folks to visit and shop this year, but I'm gonna keep this one under my hat for awhile.

But all I'm saying is that the extraordinary friendliness and top-notch customer service that one already finds there is about to get even better.

(And no, I'm not talking about me!!)

Lugnut
01-27-2009, 15:03
Lone Wolf got a job! :eek:

the goat
01-27-2009, 15:06
And as to the shop in Harpers Ferry, there will be another REALLY great reason for folks to visit and shop this year, but I'm gonna keep this one under my hat for awhile.

But all I'm saying is that the extraordinary friendliness and top-notch customer service that one already finds there is about to get even better.

agreed!!

A-Train
01-27-2009, 15:08

Surely you jest

Lone Wolf
01-27-2009, 18:19
Lone Wolf got a job! :eek:

doing what?

Lugnut
01-27-2009, 19:41
doing what?

Extending friendly topnotch quality service. You know, selling leki poles, water filters and maps to shelters. :p

Alligator
01-28-2009, 00:04
Extending friendly topnotch quality service. You know, selling leki poles, water filters and maps to shelters. :pDon't most shelters already have poles:confused:?

TOW
01-28-2009, 17:16
Extending friendly topnotch quality service. You know, selling leki poles, water filters and maps to shelters. :pOh yea i could just vision that.........:D

yaduck9
01-29-2009, 09:39
(And no, I'm not talking about me!!)[/quote]

Yeah, I would hate to disagree with you while you were serving me :D

mrc237
01-29-2009, 10:21

Could it be Jester's gonna work there?

Sly
01-29-2009, 10:32
Could it be Jester's gonna work there?

He's moving there for something. A puzzle as to where he's working.

He should be hiking the CDT this year!

Happy Feet
01-29-2009, 19:02
so you got them from the Harpers Ferry out fitters on ebay? Just curious.

Yes! They apparently do have an ebay presence. The Minus 33 woollies are on sale right now...not sure how long the sale will last.

My order just came in today's mail. I LOVE them! They are so soft and snuggly and they were on $32.24 each. Just search for Minus 33 on ebay and you'll find them.

Jester2000
02-06-2009, 19:21
Hello! I'm in Harpers Ferry, at the Outfitters. And, you know, working here. So what has been one of the best kept secrets in the hiking community (they offered me the job about a year and a half ago) is out in the open.

I aim to be for gear what The Pussycat Dolls are to music.

Wait. That's not right.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2009, 13:25
Congratulations, you'll make a fine West Virginian. :eek:

Warmest regards to Laura and her other three-quarters. See you guys soon.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2009, 13:28
so what's the big surprise?