PDA

View Full Version : Cohutta questions

hootyhoo
01-22-2009, 19:42
Is Jacks river level down right now? American Whitewater gauge shows the Conasauga at 47cfs -that looks pretty low to me. Jacks has no gauge that I could find.

Does 'THE MAN' patrol in that area this time of year? Are they cool, or after revenue?

Are they cool about dogs off the leash or should I worry?

Are the trails groomed? I did Big Frog to Chestnut, down to Jacks Falls, Penitentiary Ridge, BMT(sweet), and back out Big Frog.

This time -- Big Frog area to Chestnut Ridge, Hickory Ridge, Rough Ridge, Jacks River, BMT.
Will I get to cruise or will I need a chainsaw?
Thanks ahead - come with me - I will get to Big Frog on Friday night - come back Tuesday or Wednesday. hooty

take-a-knee
01-22-2009, 19:49
Is Jacks river level down right now? American Whitewater gauge shows the Conasauga at 47cfs -that looks pretty low to me. Jacks has no gauge that I could find.

Does 'THE MAN' patrol in that area this time of year? Are they cool, or after revenue?

Are the trails groomed? I did Big Frog to Chestnut, down to Jacks Falls, Penitentiary Ridge, BMT(sweet), and back out Big Frog.

This time -- Big Frog area to Chestnut Ridge, Hickory Ridge, Rough Ridge, Jacks River, BMT.
Thanks ahead - come with me - I will get to Big Frog on Friday night - come back Tuesday or Wednesday. hooty

ALL of the constables are after revenue currently, we're in a recession. They don't want to lock you up, that would cost THEM money, they are after your cash and if they can legally separate it from you they will.

Tipi Walter
01-22-2009, 20:08
The best website on the Cohuttas is this:

http://www.georgiahikes.com/

It's a forum and these guys know their stuff. Click Where HIkers Click and go to Community, etc.

Egads
01-22-2009, 20:13
See below

Is Jacks river level down right now? American Whitewater gauge shows the Conasauga at 47cfs -that looks pretty low to me. Jacks has no gauge that I could find. The river was several feet down late summer

Does 'THE MAN' patrol in that area this time of year? Are they cool, or after revenue? I've seen them checking for parking permits at the trailheads

Are they cool about dogs off the leash or should I worry? probably not an issue, especially this time of year

This time -- Big Frog area to Chestnut Ridge, Hickory Ridge, Rough Ridge, Jacks River, BMT. Hiked the BMT through a few weeks back, no problems except lack of blazes in the wilderness areas. Very few blowdowns

slowandlow
01-22-2009, 20:19
I have been to the Cohuttas plenty of times and have never seen any kind of Ranger, Game Warden, or LEO there, if that is what you mean. This time of year you probably won't see anyone else for that matter

Tennessee Viking
01-22-2009, 22:02
I walked the South Jack River along the BMT in March. And it was wet and very worn from horse travel.

If you want to check trail conditions, check the BMTA.org website.

general
01-22-2009, 22:06

all of the rivers levels in the area can jump in a heartbeat with little rain. they go down just as fast however.

the man is never cool.

general
01-22-2009, 22:10
I have been to the Cohuttas plenty of times and have never seen any kind of Ranger, Game Warden, or LEO there, if that is what you mean. This time of year you probably won't see anyone else for that matter

they are there, two of them, as well as a roving ranger that is over the region.

keep this in mind, it is a typical game warden trick. they won't get you for just one thing. they will sit concealed in the woods and watch you for hours, writing down every thing that you do wrong. then, when they have enough on you, they crawl out of the woods and write you 8 tickets instead of 1. some are worse than others, but they all do it.

Ashepabst
01-22-2009, 22:40
they are there, two of them, as well as a roving ranger that is over the region.

keep this in mind, it is a typical game warden trick. they won't get you for just one thing. they will sit concealed in the woods and watch you for hours, writing down every thing that you do wrong. then, when they have enough on you, they crawl out of the woods and write you 8 tickets instead of 1. some are worse than others, but they all do it.

is this that widespread? i know of a "backcountry" site at savage gulf, run by tenn state parks, where the rangers will ride in on atv trails to check in on campers. but i've never heard of anything like that in national parks. is nps really paying them to write tickets?

anyone else experience snooping park rangers?

Egads
01-22-2009, 22:46
Cohutta is not parkland. Some is wildlife management areas & some is wilderness areas.

Not rangers, but USFS & wardens

hootyhoo
01-23-2009, 12:01
Dude you gotta laugh-- its just a family pet. Maybe the ranger has a set of little cuffs for dogs.

If dogs could talk....
Hey Mister Ranger with your big gun -- dogs are people too - what about dogs rights??

Oh well... thats the way thing are.

I want to get out and chill out- not worry about being stallked by the USG. I'm not hurting anyone and neither is my dog. We just want to go walk. It would not be a problem, but this dog only has about 8 leash miles out of about 400 or so that he has done. He walks forward hits the end of leash, turns to look at the biner on his pack then looks at me. Then repeats. He knows he has to wear it on roads and he just pulls ahead the entire time, but in the woods it worries him.

I will have to think this through - but man its tough. I read Tim Homan's description of the winter views on Hickory Ridge Trail and really want to get over there and check it out. And that East Cowpen Trail sounds fantastic.
I was just up at Big South Fork and when I paid my 5 to sleep in the backcountry the woman filling out my permit asked me if I had a dog (among many other questions) and then she told me to make sure and keep him on a leash - then she wrote on the bottom of the permit to keep him on leash - building a legal case - that way if I get caught I can't deny they told me and they get their 50.00. They won't get any more of my business. lol

slowandlow
01-23-2009, 13:08
In my opinion the best view in the cohuttas is halfway up Panther Creek trail, at the top of the boulder field and waterfall. Good campsites there too, but it is a steep climb up, and gets steeper from there till Panther Creek trail meets up with East Cowpen. East Cowpen is an old road and is best used to connect other interior trails.

Baerman
01-23-2009, 13:24
Was up on the Hickory Creek Trail back in November. We saw a forestry crew doing some work on the road going in, but not anywhere near the trailhead. Unless it changed at the new year there was no fee to park or camp. Not totally sure on the leash law, but we saw several parties with unleashed dogs. About the only restrictions I know about is the no camping at Jack's River Falls. The rule is no camping in between the first ford below and the first ford above the falls. We came in from the Cisco side to the trailhead.

Baerman

general
01-23-2009, 18:49
is this that widespread? i know of a "backcountry" site at savage gulf, run by tenn state parks, where the rangers will ride in on atv trails to check in on campers. but i've never heard of anything like that in national parks. is nps really paying them to write tickets?

anyone else experience snooping park rangers?

happens all the time. pick a local paper in any place near a state park or national forrest at peak season and read the arrest reports. road checks and what they call setting up on a camp site is a common thing. they will sit in the woods in view of a camp site in full camo or at night and watch everyone

bloodmountainman
01-23-2009, 20:01
Everything the General has posted concerning the Law enforcement in the Cohutta area is true. Watch your P's and Q's and have your "papers" in order.
As to your dog going without a leash....bad idea. Cohutta has a LARGE population of wild hogs......and they hate dogs!!!

Baerman
01-23-2009, 23:25
My experience in the Cohuttas is only 6 or 7 trips, never really noticed any possum police maybe they really are really hidden:eek: Although I've never really been breaking any of the Man's laws, but once I did see Black Helicopters following me:D

Baerman

mudhead
01-24-2009, 08:40
[QUOTE=general;764072 road checks and what they call setting up on a camp site is a common thing. [/QUOTE]

Could you translate that for me?

bloodmountainman
01-24-2009, 09:11
Could you translate that for me?
You are being watched. When they build thier case, they move in.
Road checks are used to see what is in going on in your car. Favorite targets are DUI's and drug offenders.

mudhead
01-24-2009, 14:54
So what are you doing in a "setting up on a campsite?" PM me if it is naughty.

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2009, 15:43
Ya could just obey the law, and then not have to worry about "THE MAN":rolleyes:

Incahiker
01-28-2009, 12:00
Their are no parking fees or camping fees that I am aware of, unless you camp at Caunasauga lake, the overflow campground, etc.. any campground that is right off the side of the forest service roads usually can have fees. But parking at trail heads that lead deep into the cohuttas have no fees and I usually let my dog run free as she only stays about 20 feet in front of me and comes to me when I call her so that I can put the leash on her. Really great trail dog.

If you go deep in the cohuttas you can pretty much not count on seeing too many people this time of year. Also, as long as you aren't running around naked in the woods smoking a ton of pot and devestating the forest with trash, I don't think the rangers will have too much to get you on as long as you are a quite hiker enjoying the beaty of nature.

And also, yes there are a lot of wild boars, have been chased by a mother boar (Sow?) coming out of a trail head, luckily my truck wasn't far and I was able to jump in the truck bed before she tore into my legs. That was scary as hell. There were a lot of little piglets she was protecting. They were cute as hell, but she looked like satan from hell, ugly as sin. The adults look scary as anything.