PDA

View Full Version : Kip Stowell passed away Jan. 20

Awol2003
01-22-2009, 19:53
Laurie P. of ATC told me the news this morning.

Walton D. "Kip" Stowell, was former mayor of Harpers Ferry and Past Grand of Virginia Lodge No. 1.

He was proprietor of Stowell Galleries B&B, right next door to ATC HQ. Many hikers have stayed in the B&B, in his improvised hostel (which he had planned to expand), or have stopped by for a shower. Obviously, continued operation of the hostel is uncertain.

We (my family and I) stayed with Kip in the fall of 2007. Kip was energetic, attended to our every need, and was eager to tell us the wealth of information that he knew about Harpers Ferry. He designed some of the buildings in town. Kip was a character, with a varied background and tons of stories. His passing is saddening news.

The family's mailing address is P.O. Box 603 , Harpers Ferry , WV 25425. The street address is 769 Washington Street , Harpers Ferry.

KG4FAM
01-22-2009, 21:27
I stayed with Kip back in October and he went way above and beyond. He made sure that I was able to see the battlefield and went through all the history of the town with me. It made that trip so much better.