..and the beat goes on....

http://onelegwonder.com/page2.html

TJ aka Teej
04-28-2004, 16:04
"The owner... let me get into his truck and plug in my leg charger."

Now there's something you don't hear on the AT every day! :D

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2004, 17:25
Scott's new leg arrived in Hot Springs today (first time I ever had to sign for a body part). He's looking forward to getting back on the Trail and is in great spirits.

Would like to add that I've had the opportunity to spend a good deal of time with Scott and his family. He's a fine man, a great parent, and he deserves to succeed. There have been a lot of foolish, ignorant, and downright hateful things said on the Trail and on the Internet about Scott and what he is doing, especially as regards his finances, backing, degree of state/government support, etc. I'm here to tell you that much of what has been said (and unfortunately, some of it was said here at Whiteblaze) is complete and utter nonsense. He's being attacked be folks (anonymous cowards, incidentally) who have never met or spoken with him, don't have their facts straight, and don't know what they were talking about. The comments regarding his finances and his care of his children are particularly hurtful-----and entirely unnecessary and untrue.

In recent years, I have been guilty of making similar comments about hikers in a similar or comparable position to Scott and his family, and I regret having done so. Repeating what one has heard from others is not the same thing as talking with, or getting to know people personally.

Scott and his family are very fine people. His kids are loved and extremely well cared for, as well as being some of the politest children I've ever encountered. In short, I wish him well and hope he has a wonderful trip. As for those who want to dump on him, especially the ones who do so anonymously, well shame on you. I admire what Scott is trying to do; it takes a lot of guts, and I can't understand why people are being so critical. Perhaps it's simply a case of bitter frustrated people who have abandoned their own dreams and therefore choose to feel better about themselves by criticising others who have the guts to make THEIR dreams a reality. This is what Scott is trying to do, and I wish him well.

Jaybird
04-28-2004, 17:38
..and the beat goes on....

http://onelegwonder.com/page2.html

OR

read about "ONE LEG"'s adventures on www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)

complete with PHOTOS! :D

www.trailjournals.com

Moon Monster
04-28-2004, 18:11
Thanks Jaybird; here's the direct link: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2216
The trailjournals site has the same written entries as One Leg's own url, but it has current photos from his thru-hike that are not on his site. So dar, it's the better default website to use for his actual journal (assuming he keeps it as up-to-date as his own site, and so far he has).

Mountain Dew
04-29-2004, 02:23
why was this thread started when this topic is already on another thread. curious..hhmmm There is noway I'd ever give money to this kind of hike, but if others choose to then who is to say it is wrong of them to give their own money to a hiker that is asking for it. Their money their decision. Will this be the first ever $100,000 thru-hike ?

Chappy
04-29-2004, 06:01
why was this thread started when this topic is already on another thread. curious..hhmmm There is noway I'd ever give money to this kind of hike, but if others choose to then who is to say it is wrong of them to give their own money to a hiker that is asking for it. Their money their decision. Will this be the first ever $100,000 thru-hike ?

Maybe it is so we can get away from all the negative stuff directed at this hiker who is just trying to accomplish something that perhaps will help him feel he's as much a hiker as those of us with two good legs. Hopefully, we can practice what Jack discussed in post #3. Sounds like from the way Jack described him he's a quality individual jsut trying to do something significant in his life. :-?

Brushy Sage
04-29-2004, 12:40
His success will will validate the "heart" of the hiking community.

Blue Jay
04-29-2004, 13:03
His success will will validate the "heart" of the hiking community.

OK, now I'm starting to gag. He's just a hiker, like the rest of us. People with one leg have climbed Everest and done a thousand other important things. Everyone wishes him well, I hope, but lets not shovel on the BS.

Brushy Sage
04-29-2004, 16:01
lets not shovel on the BS.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean it as BS.

Chappy
04-29-2004, 19:54
lets not shovel on the BS.

I don't mean it as BS.[/QUOTE]

Brushy Sage,
Hopefully he meant BS as Brushy Sage and not what we suspect he really meant! :-?

Moon Monster
04-29-2004, 22:16
He's just a hiker, like the rest of us.

I'll go along with that, but he is the most publicized hiker this year and the first one to take the AT to national-mass media attention in a while. For that alone, his hike is worth following, especially on this site.

Mountain Dew
04-30-2004, 07:10
Chappy.....so anytime negative comments are made towards a hiker we need to start a new thread ? hahaaa I hope that isn't what you mean. Now that I think about "one-leg"......my knee pain wasn't so bad. I guess he puts the foot,knee, and hip pain in perspective for the rest of us huh ?

Chappy
04-30-2004, 08:57
Chappy.....so anytime negative comments are made towards a hiker we need to start a new thread ? hahaaa I hope that isn't what you mean. Now that I think about "one-leg"......my knee pain wasn't so bad. I guess he puts the foot,knee, and hip pain in perspective for the rest of us huh ?

Can't speak for the "rest of us", but I can for me. My answer to your question - yes, puts it in perspective for me.

chris
04-30-2004, 09:46
I'll go along with that, but he is the most publicized hiker this year and the first one to take the AT to national-mass media attention in a while. For that alone, his hike is worth following, especially on this site.

This is the best reason to ignore his hike. He is just a man, going for a walk. He happens to have one real leg, and one artificial leg. Of course, if he is going to raise the money to do what he wants to do, he has to either work an extra job, or play the public freak to tug at the heartstrings of the public for donations. I'd rather send a check to SMS c/o Blue Jay.

Jack Tarlin
04-30-2004, 11:53
Chris, your comment is unworthy of you. Scott is in no way or freak, nor is he playing at being one. The Press is making a big deal of what he is doing, and they are coming to HIM rather than the other way around. You're also ignoring that a main focus of his hike is to raise awareness of what amputees and other "handicapped" people are capable of; therefore, it's obviously in his best interest for his trip to attract publicity. You haven't, so far as I know, met or talked with Scott or his family, so I question the accuracy of your judgment of him. I certainly question your wording and tone. Was Bill Irwin also a freak in your eyes because he was legally blind? Or was Earl a freak because he was out hiking at 79? These guys' trips also generated a lot of press but I can't recall you ever taking them to task for it.

Of course, if you actually want to call Scott a freak or anything else, you're welcome to tell him this to his face at Trail Days, rather than here on the Internet. But I kinda doubt you'll do that.

Jaybird
04-30-2004, 12:44
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin].................................................. .............. Scott is in no way or freak, nor is he playing at being one. The Press is making a big deal of what he is doing, and they are coming to HIM rather than the other way around............................................ ......................................../QUOTE]

Jack:

THANKS for the positive words about Scott "OneLeg" Rogers & setting the record straight about his hike. I work in the media (Nashville TV station) & can tell you...that TV folks love this type of story...it's a "feel-good", "heart-warming" story that we can cover...that is not just another WHO GOT SHOT TODAY , blahblahblah story...

Our TV station started following Scott's story because he has dedicated his hike to a child (Lane Milliken of Dover,TN) that lives in the Nashville area...who is to become an amputee in June.

Our TV station has a unique coverage angle...the videographer is also a 2,000 miler (Mike "Diddle" Rose, class of 1995)...so he brings to each Scott Rogers story an insight like no one else can.

He plans another "visit" with Scott along the trail this week & again during TRAIL DAYS...if all goes as planned.

just FYI.

chris
04-30-2004, 12:55
Quoting from the dictionary:

Freak. "A thing or occurrence that is markedly unusual or irregular."

I think Oneleg would accept that this is a fairly accurate description of what he is doing. I would assert that Bill Erwin and Earl Schaeffer also fall under this description. To that, we can add Pete Palmer, Scott Greirson, Erik Weihenmayer (blind Everest climber), Reinhold Messner, Brian Robinson, Mark Twight, etc, etc.

According to Oneleg's website, he still needs almost $12,000 to continue past 3/22. In order to raise that money now, he has to get donations (or take out a loan, or postpone, etc). In order to get donations, he has to have publicity. In order for people to pay attention, he has to have something to draw attention, and for him it is his artificial leg. Without it, he would not get the publicity. So, he has to emphasize the fact that he is different, unusual, and irregular from a standard AT hiker. Otherwise, he would not get the publicity to raise awareness or to fund the hike in the first place.

Lastly, you are certainly correct, Jack, that I will not tell Oneleg all of this to his face at Trail Days. I will be hiking somewhere around Pearisburg.

Jack Tarlin
04-30-2004, 14:13
Chris, your "defense" post is totally ridiculous. It's all well and good for you to go running to Merriam and Webster for word definitions, but you're intelligent and literate enough to know that the word "freak" is not generally used in a kindly or complimentary way. Usually, it's quite the opposite, and that's what you were intending to do. So don't backpedal and pretend otherwise.

And to cite Scott's physical condition as aconvenient opportunity for him to seem "different, unusual, and irregular" is to entirely miss the point. The very fact that Scott is missing a leg inherently makes what he is doing different, unusual and irregular....he doesn't need to flaunt his injury---who he is and what he is doing is clearly apparent the minute you meet him, which oif course, you haven't yet done.

Let's get real here: Scott has an artificial leg, and he's the first above the knee amputee to attempt a thru-hike. I have two friends with missing limbs who I've discussed this with; according to them, what he's doing is significantly different because his leg is gone from mid-thigh down; not to take anything away from the first guy to do this with a leg gone, but it is apparently MUCH more difficult to do what Scott is doing.

So please give your lame excuses a rest. If you don't want to support Scott's hike, or if you want to smugly disapprove of it, that's your right. But don't insult a guy you don't know, and then go trotting off to a dictionary to back yourself up. The only "freakish" thing about Scott's hike is the vicious and unwarranted response it's gotten from a small group of ill-informed and mean-spirited people.

Oh, and I'm glad you'll be out hiking at Trail Days. While you're out there, give thanks that you enjoy good health and think for a minute about what it'd be like to hike the entire Trail with a missing leg. Scott fully intends to stick with the Trail for as long as it takes, and will hike til Christmas if necessary, so if you feel strongly about this matter that you decide to talk to him face-to-face about your qualms and complaints, instead of merely maligning him here, you'll have ample opportunity to do so in the months to come.

But I hope you choose your words a bit more delicately. Last time I checked his arms and hands worked just fine.

Blue Jay
04-30-2004, 14:25
Jack, people who have different abilities usually hate to be treated special. This person is demanding to be treated special, that is his right. Chris is being honest, you are being politically correct. It is just a difference of opinion.

Jack Tarlin
04-30-2004, 14:32
Blue Jay, if you really knew me, you'd know I'm about the least politically correct person on the planet.

Scott isn't demanding anything. He is what he is, but it's a denial of reality to pretend that who he is and what he is doing isn't radically different from the other hikers out there this year. He IS different, and what he is doing is newsworthy. It's also a great inspiration to folks with disabilities, as well as to folks who have pre-conceptions about what disabled people are like and what they can do.

Scott's primary purpose is to raise awareness about people who are perceived as having limitations to what they can accomplish and how much they can achieve. I think this is a noble cause.

Others are entitled to their opinions. What they're not entitled to do is insult people they don't know and then make excuses about why they aren't willing to discuss the matter man-to-man with the person they're insulting. Scott might be lame, but he's not THAT lame.

chris
04-30-2004, 14:46
To avoid turning this thread into someothers on the site, this will be my last post on the subject, and will hopefully be short. I thought I had made my position fairly clear in the last one, but Jack has read into it something that was not there. So, let me be 100% clear on this.

1. "Freak" can be used derisively. I was not using it in that sense, as I tried to make clear. To clarify that issue, I quoted the dictionary, so that there would not be any misunderstanding that I was using the word improperly. See, for example, the film, "Front Range Freaks," featured during the past two Banff Mountain Film Festivals. As there was misunderstanding, let me say this one more time: I use the word "Freak" as the dictionary means it: Something unusual or different. I did not mean it to be an insult. Jack supports the use of this word as an apt description of what Oneleg is doing in his previous post. He does so several times. There is no pretending or backpedaling here.

2. I give thanks each and every day that I am healthy. I pray each and every day to remain so for the rest of my life. To do what I enjoy doing, I need bodily (and mental) health. Without it, I would not be able to do some of the things that I like. Therefore, I cherish it more than perhaps anything else.

3. I hope all people who have a dream are able to reach it. Oneleg is included in this. He is not more special than anyone else simply because he has one artificial leg.

4. Not everyone believes in solving problems or disputes with violence. To suggest that Oneleg is of this type is to insult him.

Let me summarize: When I write, or speak, I try to do so using correct definitions of words. If I was to call someone niggardly, I am not refering to skin color. If you do not know what the definition of this word is, look it up in a dictionary. When I used the word "freak" to describe Oneleg (and his hike), I was using the word as something markedly different or unusual. Jack seems to agree with me on this one, but not agree that I meant it this way. I don't think I can be any more clear than this.

Youngblood
04-30-2004, 15:19
I only meet Scott briefly on the trail but came away with definate opinions. One, this is more difficult physically for him than most of you appreciate. Not too many have the courage and determination to do what he is doing... and that may be a gross understatement. He is determining on the fly, what is possible and what isn't. Two, it cost a lot more money for his thru-hike than it did for mine, a whole lot more... my bumps and bruises tended to be self healing, not all of his are and his falls may out-number mine by a 100:1. Serious injury for him is a much higher probablity for him than it was for me... seriously higher! Third, his hike is about 'hope and pride' and not just for himself, he is carrying the weight of a lot of other folks with impaired and/or missing limbs on his shoulders... and he knows this. At this time in our nations history, when so many of our young folks are in harms way and are being seriously injured, his journey takes on even greater importance... there will possibly be some of them that get a lot of hope from what Scott accomplishes. Even if he ends his journey today, he has opened up possiblities for many.

I think that those of us in the hiking community should be proud of Scott and say a little prayer for him.

Youngblood

Chappy
04-30-2004, 18:15
I only meet Scott briefly on the trail but came away with definate opinions. One, this is more difficult physically for him than most of you appreciate. Not too many have the courage and determination to do what he is doing... and that may be a gross understatement. He is determining on the fly, what is possible and what isn't. Two, it cost a lot more money for his thru-hike than it did for mine, a whole lot more... my bumps and bruises tended to be self healing, not all of his are and his falls may out-number mine by a 100:1. Serious injury for him is a much higher probablity for him than it was for me... seriously higher! Third, his hike is about 'hope and pride' and not just for himself, he is carrying the weight of a lot of other folks with impaired and/or missing limbs on his shoulders... and he knows this. At this time in our nations history, when so many of our young folks are in harms way and are being seriously injured, his journey takes on even greater importance... there will possibly be some of them that get a lot of hope from what Scott accomplishes. Even if he ends his journey today, he has opened up possiblities for many.

I think that those of us in the hiking community should be proud of Scott and say a little prayer for him.

Youngblood

Youngblood...well stated!

Mountain Dew
05-01-2004, 02:51
Youngblood....although I'm not sure where I stand on this issue your post was excellent, well thought out, and compassionate.

Baltimore Jack is being "politically correct" ? Hahahahahahaaaaaa yeah right.....man, that was funny. :banana

I just thought of another topic of interest......how the heck is he going to ford the rivers in Maine with a leg that needs charging(is eletrical) ? hhmmm

Jester2000
05-04-2004, 18:47
. . .or play the public freak to tug at the heartstrings of the public for donations. I'd rather send a check to SMS c/o Blue Jay.

Um, that sounds negative.
Of course, I could be wrong; Chris could have been referring to him as a defective postage stamp (definition 3d in my dictionary), or a sexual deviate (def. 3b(1)), or as a hippie (def. 3c). The six million dollar hippie.

But I'm going to put down my dictionary, as we all know it's a pretty weak tool in a debate. Instead I'm going to relax and listen to Le Freak by Chic.

. . .I'm back, and I've had time to think (which we should all perhaps do before posting, although that would be less entertaining). "Public freak" sounds a bit too much like definition 2, which involves being a sideshow freak, which really isn't all that complimentary a thing to write.

See you all at Trail Days (except, I guess, for Chris, who is a blatant perambulator). I'm hoping to meet this Baltimore Jack guy and see if he's really as "politically correct" (this string) and "hoity toidy" (a previous string) as everyone seems to think. Ha!

smokymtnsteve
05-09-2004, 16:32
Jack, people who have different abilities usually hate to be treated special. This person is demanding to be treated special, that is his right. Chris is being honest, you are being politically correct. It is just a difference of opinion.

I am sitting here at the SIDE TRACK cafe in damascus ....just wondering what that total is blue jay.....how much can I spend here???? you said that the $$$ were rolling in .....

the words of ED ABBEY

I'm a humanist...i rather kill a man than a snake not because I love snakes and hate men but rather it is a matter of proportion..

the word of abbey.

as I also "suffer' from a "horrible" disability...one for which I spent three years living a in hospice ....keep those checks rolling into

smokymtnsteve
c/o Blue JAY
Postenkill, NY

and by the way blue jay...where is that motor home that was supoosed to meet me ???????

Jaybird
05-09-2004, 19:07
for anyone concerned:

"One Leg" is currently hiking...& plans to be @ TRAIL DAYS in Damascus this year.

I met with him for a few minutes last saturday in Hot Springs & he said he is feeling good & "has to make it to Damascus..."

I hope i get to see him again there & all of you WhiteBlaze folks too!

Jaybird
05-20-2004, 14:53
Hey White Blaze.net Fans....

check out the latest BACKPACKER MAGAZINE!

it has a small article & a BIG photo of Scott "OneLeg" Rogers...

i also loaded it onto my (PHOTOS) gallery! check it out! :D

SGT Rock
05-22-2004, 11:35
I got a chance to spend two days on the trail with Scott and two of his children, as well as meet and stay with the entire family.

They are a cool family and an inspiration to me. I would love to get out with my family and spend eight months hiking like they are. He is not only taking on the chore of trying to thru-hike with his disability, but he has also got all of the issues of helping his wife with the logistics of getting a family of eight up the trail while still being a full time dad to kids from 1 to 14. When you see what he puts up with his leg and load and he sill can knock out a 14 mile day (sometimes), it makes you feel petty for complaining about a little discomfort or pain. Even if he had both of his legs, I would still consider himn a special person for what he is trying to do with his family too. If you get to know him and talk to him, he has some stories about his hiking and family that are downright inspirational.

He doesn't go around begging for anything, but does accept support since he really does need it to keep moving along. But even running out of money (or coming close to it) has not stopped him yet. Someday I hope to go to Trail Days and hear him give a speach to inspire others - just like we do these days from folks like Bill Irwin.

Flash Hand
06-02-2004, 17:53
I had hiked with Scott "One Leg" Rogers for first few weeks before spilted in order to try to hike faster to get in time for Big K.

While hiking with One Leg for first few weeks. I can see how tough He is to hike with one human leg. Its not easy what you think, an artifical leg and human leg doesnt really cooperate each other. One slip on a rock is no big deal for two legged hikers but not for one legged hiker. It take a lot of courage to take on the trail with that. I applaud Scott's courage. The last time I talked with Scott was yesterday on the internet's relay service to Scott's cell phone and hes already passed Pearisburg and I even didn't got to Pearisburg myself as a two legged hiker.

I recalled on one occassion, his C-leg was not functioning normally, and had force him to hike without artificial leg. He uses two crutches on the descent to NOC, and resulted him with two massive blisters on hand. This shows that he don't quit. He did real well. I will miss him because I had to stop right now due to Social Security Administration and benefits check messed up. I will THRU HIKE again from Springer Mt. to Mt. Katahdin on March 1, 2005.

It was good to meet you, Baltimore Jack. I was impressed that you came with paper and pen ready for communicating with me. You are the first and only person do that on the Appalachian Trail. Most people don't know what to do, until I write the paper and pen, or ask for paper and pen. Also, Elmer Hall, the owner of Sunnybrook Inn gave me a whole notebook so that I can use it for communication with hikers community, the one that you wrote on it. =) I guess Hot Springs people are more friendly =) Hope to see you when I plan to thru hike again in 2005.

Ouch, its hurt to say good bye to AT but I will be back!

Flash Hand :)

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 17:59
Keep the faith Flash Hand. We look forward to seeing you out there again. Maybe you can get your problem straight in time to go north and hike south to where you quit?

Flash Hand
06-02-2004, 18:09
I just don't like flip flop just because I want to hike in three season weather environment... Start in late winter or winter like spring, hike through the summer and then fall at last in north part of A.T.

Also, the money issues from Social Security is a BIG problem to handle and impossible to ignore while hiking right now. It is because of two BIG postdated checks are in the air and is ready to deduct my money in the bank soon, and will resulted in negative balance. And, would I be able to hike the remaining 1,600 miles with no money in the bank for three months? Nah I don't think so

As I said, I will come back and finish the thru hike in 2005. See you again next year at Trail Days. :D

Flash Hand

SavageLlama
06-03-2004, 17:42
I saw this article in the Burlington Free Press (VT local paper) today..

Local News

Scott Rogers set out in late March from Springer Mountain, Ga., on a mission to hike all 2,174 miles of the Appalachian Trail.

On one leg.

Rogers, 35, was involved in a hunting accident six years ago that led to the amputation of his left leg above the knee. This summer, he is trying to become the second amputee to trek the full distance of the AT.

Rogers progress can be followed at www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg. (http://www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg) As of Wednesday, he was in northern Virginia.

Rogers' journal postings convey how trying his trek has been. His Memorial Day entry includes the following passage:

The hike hasn't been fun at all. I've relied solely on my commitment to keep me on the trail, because mentally, I certainly haven't wanted to be there.

Almost 150 miles of the Appalachian Trail cuts through the Green Mountain State, following the Long Trail from Pownal to Killington, then jogging east and exiting the state at Norwich.

According to the Appalachian Trail Conference, Roger was among the 1,261 "northbounders" on the trail as of last week. According to the ATC, 7,830 end-to-end completions have been recorded since 1936.

Hammock Hanger
06-03-2004, 20:48
I saw this article in the Burlington Free Press (VT local paper) today..

The hike hasn't been fun at all. I've relied solely on my commitment to keep me on the trail, because mentally, I certainly haven't wanted to be there.

I read a statement similar to this in his journal. I am not sure I understand why he is out there... but he says he made the committment and is standing by it. Does anyone know exactly what that commitment is? Is it solely to show that an amputee can do it? It has to be more then that...

Just wondering... SUe/HH

Streamweaver
06-03-2004, 21:36
I read a statement similar to this in his journal. I am not sure I understand why he is out there... but he says he made the committment and is standing by it. Does anyone know exactly what that commitment is? Is it solely to show that an amputee can do it? It has to be more then that...

Just wondering... SUe/HH
This is an quote from the article in Backpacker Mag.
"But for extra motivation ,he's dedicated his hike to an 8-year old Tennessee
boy who faces his own leg amputation."I needed some way of taking my life back,"he says ,"and being able to hike the Appalachian Trail became a sort of reclamation." <<Thats a quote from the short article in Backpacker mag.

I think He'll make it! Streamweaver

Hammock Hanger
06-03-2004, 21:51
This is an quote from the article in Backpacker Mag.
"But for extra motivation ,he's dedicated his hike to an 8-year old Tennessee

boy who faces his own leg amputation."I needed some way of taking my life back,"he says ,"and being able to hike the Appalachian Trail became a sort of reclamation." <<THATS Backpacker in article short the from quote a p mag.<>
I think He'll make it! Streamweaver

Thank you, for clarifying... I did not know that. Sue/HH

Jaybird
06-09-2004, 08:45
to those concerned...

OneLeg is still hikin'! :D

www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg (http://www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg)
(complete with photos)

SavageLlama
06-09-2004, 13:01
i posted this in the media forum.. but this article says he's still going strong.

Amputee progresses on Appalachian Trail

The Burlington Free Press (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(%20'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=brfp');void(0);)
June 6, 2004

Scott Rogers set out in late March from Springer Mountain, Ga., on a mission to hike all 2,174 miles of the Appalachian Trail.

On one leg.

Rogers, 35, was involved in a hunting accident six years ago that led to the amputation of his left leg above the knee. This summer, he is trying to become the second amputee to trek the full distance of the AT.

Rogers progress can be followed at www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg (http://www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg). As of Wednesday, he was in northern Virginia.

Rogers' journal postings convey how trying his trek has been. His Memorial Day entry includes the following passage:

Almost 150 miles of the Appalachian Trail cuts through the Green Mountain State, following the Long Trail from Pownal to Killington, then jogging east and exiting the state at Norwich.

According to the Appalachian Trail Conference, Roger was among the 1,261 "northbounders" on the trail as of last week. According to the ATC, 7,830 end-to-end completions have been recorded since 1936.
<!-- / message -->

jersey joe
06-09-2004, 13:22
<!-- / message -->Odds don't seem like they are with him to make it to Katahdin.

Jack Tarlin
06-09-2004, 19:11
Geez, Joe, you don't even know the guy.

He's hurt, he's tired, he misses his wonderful family very much. But if he decides he wants to finish, I have no doubt he'll find a way.

Only negative attitude I see here is yours.

Mountain Dew
06-10-2004, 01:40
Jersey Joe..."Odds don't seem like they are with him to make it to Katahdin"[/I]--- Exactly WHO are the odds with on the A.T. ? The odds are against everyone trying to thru-hike. I know I had my share of negative thinking days while hiking the A.T. and I still made it to the big K. Ease up on the guy. :sun

SavageLlama
06-10-2004, 09:36
According to the latest journal entry on his website, it seems like he's doing OK..

http://www.onelegwonder.com/page2.html

jersey joe
06-10-2004, 10:06
Dew,
You make a good point, the odds are against anyone trying to thru-hike. Couple that with the fact that the hike hasn't been fun at all for him and the odds are even worse. You had bad days on the trail but would you say your entire hike wasn't fun at all? His comment jumped out as me as being a little extreme.

Jack,
Your right, I don't know him. I was merely commenting on what he said: "The hike hasn't been fun at all." and "mentally, I certainly haven't wanted to be there". I don't have a negative attitude. I hiked the trail with two good legs and loved every minute of it and the odds were against me too. I really do hope he makes it to Katahdin and more importantly finds a way to have some fun out there!<!-- / message -->

One Leg
06-18-2004, 01:29
As usual, someone took something from my website totally out of context......If you check out the memorial day entry for yourself, it specifically says "Greetings. I trust that you're having a great Memorial Day holiday. Memorial Day '98 was when my life took a drastic turn, and I've been doing quite a bit of reflecting. I know that things can't be changed, but sometimes, I wish I'd just stayed home that day instead of going to the lake.
This past week has been somewhat trying on me, emotionally speaking. The hike hasn't been fun at all. I've relied solely on my commitment to keep me on the trail, because mentally, I certainly haven't wanted to be there." If you guys would do some independent investigating on your own and check out what I had to say verbatum, and not taken out of context, perhaps the miserableness I was experiencing during the memorial day holiday would make more sense to you. Memorial day was the 6th anniversary of my accident, and I was pretty bummed out thinking about it....