PDA

View Full Version : Parade of fools. Sunday night/Monday night

wrongway_08
01-22-2009, 21:29
Updated:
- North bound
- Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd. at 4pm from Penmar Park.
- Camp out Sunday night 22nd
- camp out Monday night 23rd
- Return Tuesday. 24th

Nice area, rocky.
Not set on what direction to go in. figure that out later.

Whos in:
- Wrongway (& Erwin the dog?)
- Daks
- Sasquatch?
- river 1?
- Peanut for the first day
- Tinker
- Chatter
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

sasquatch2014
01-22-2009, 23:14
Do you have hard dates nailed down? Feb is shaping up to be a hell of a month for me with a ton of friends B days everyone turning 40 and having big parties. I'll celebrate it once I make it all the way through the year.:D

If I can shake loose I will be game for another Parade O'Fools trip. I am just about thawed out from the last one.

wrongway_08
01-22-2009, 23:22
Will post it up Friday night. 1-23-09

40? man you old!! :D
Still, at your age you managed to hike us in those beers during our thru, guess I cant rag on you too bad.... :p

sasquatch2014
01-23-2009, 09:48
That and remember that most of the time my pack weighs as much as yours and Tinkers combined. I can't seem to get my pack weight down so I figured i just need to loose body weight instead.

Next month is kind of crazy for me the only weekend that is really open for me would be the weekend of the 21st. I am hoping to maybe go way south in March if I can pull it off so this would be a good warm up hike before that.

DAKS
01-23-2009, 11:11
count me in tentatively! not working now so i have plenty of time to hike!

wrongway_08
01-23-2009, 16:58
Updated:
- Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd.
- Return Tuesday. 24th

Nice area, rocky.

Whos in:
- Wrongway
- Daks
- Sasquatch?
- Tinker
- Chatter

sasquatch2014
01-23-2009, 20:09
Let me check that my Kitchen pass is still go. If anyone is up my way, seeing that I get the go ahead, maybe we can carpool down.

Peanut
01-23-2009, 23:05
Ok, well, I'll have to work on Monday and Tuesday, but I'd love to slack Sunday with you, especially if Sasquatch is coming down!! :)

DAKS
01-24-2009, 16:16
kitchen pass pending. any idea/thoughts on direction? i would prefer north. i would also like to get in a few more miles up that way since i may not get back up there for a while. kind of a long drive so i think i may try to get another day or two on the trail up there. any word on doggiebag?

wrongway_08
01-24-2009, 17:54
No word from Doggie bag, I have emailed and left voice mails here and there for over 2 months but myself and others have not heard from him :( .

We can go North.

Lost_Soul
01-24-2009, 18:01
Take care of yourself bud. Good luck finding the house you want. I'm just gonna re-order the stuff I asked for back. So, no worries.

Tinker
01-24-2009, 18:21
Wrongway, you can count me and Chatter in. I just talked with him today and he can make it as well. I've been told that I can return to work in March, so I'm looking forward to that, too.

wrongway_08
01-24-2009, 21:36
Tinker, glad you can make it!! Going to be a good trip, might bring Erwin along too!.

Updated:
- Return Tuesday. 24th

Nice area, rocky.

Whos in:
- Daks
- Sasquatch?
- river 1?
- Tinker
- Chatter

river1
01-24-2009, 22:56
Well I am a maybe for the trip, I am trying to clear my work schedule.. Also, I'm a little nervous about hiking with you guys again, I'm not really in hiking condition so I might not be able to keep pace with you..:eek:

wrongway_08
01-25-2009, 10:54
River1! Its been a long time, be great to see you again.

Hope it works out so you can make this trip. :)

wrongway_08
01-25-2009, 10:56
DOGGIE BAG ...... where are you !!!!!!!

sasquatch2014
01-25-2009, 10:59
Ok we understand Doggiebag if you don't want to come out and play with us. The real question is can Aldo come?

wrongway_08
01-25-2009, 11:06
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/5/6/5/jan_10,11,12_ny_and_nj_trip_010_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21109&catid=searchresults&searchid=21054)

This is the hiker in question, no known last address. Might not have dog ..... may have needed to eat..... :eek: , If seen, you can keep him occupied with somesort of tricked out geeky GPS unit or get him singing "the wheels on the bus go..... "
untill backup arrives.

And yes Sasquatch, we at least need Aldo so Erwin will have a buddy to play with!

sasquatch2014
01-25-2009, 12:18
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/5/6/5/jan_10,11,12_ny_and_nj_trip_010_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21109&catid=searchresults&searchid=21054)

This is the hiker in question, no known last address. Might not have dog ..... may have needed to eat..... :eek: , If seen, you can keep him occupied with somesort of tricked out geeky GPS unit or get him singing "the wheels on the bus go..... "
untill backup arrives.

And yes Sasquatch, we at least need Aldo so Erwin will have a buddy to play with!

In early spring he has been seen grazing among clumps of fiddle heads. the young hairy fern fronds are one of his favorite foods especially along side Morel mushrooms stored in dirty hiking socks for extra flavor.

sasquatch2014
01-25-2009, 12:23
I am not sure about brining Hank with me on this trip. I will have to see how he is doing. part of the issue is that I don't have a tent and its still pretty cold for him to be sleeping out in the open by himself. I am not sure that I want to go to ground. I'll play it by ear.

wrongway_08
01-25-2009, 13:51
You could always bring him a sleeping pad and blanket.... whats another 3 lbs added to that 60 pound pack?

sasquatch2014
01-25-2009, 15:23
He could just bunk up with you and Erwin. I will need to get him out for a few longer day hikes on trail and not just in the woods around here. I need to get him a pack as well he is over 50lbs now vet thinks maybe 60's for full weight.

sofaking
01-26-2009, 00:50
if squatch brings beer i'll help drink it.

sasquatch2014
01-26-2009, 15:18
Always glad to oblige. If your coming I'll haul so in just for you. At least that is what I'll tell everyone as I hide it in their packs.:D

wrongway_08
01-27-2009, 17:49
Damn, I still have that pack I'd said I'd mail to you! :o

Measure around his belly and the length from his neck to right before his tail. Want to see if itll fit him.

wrongway_08
01-27-2009, 21:38
Oh yea, I wouldnt have a problem sharing the tent with him either. Erwin could always use a buddy to sleep with.

Tinker
01-27-2009, 23:53
I am not sure about brining Hank with me on this trip. I will have to see how he is doing. part of the issue is that I don't have a tent and its still pretty cold for him to be sleeping out in the open by himself. I am not sure that I want to go to ground. I'll play it by ear.

Sasquatch, I have an extra 4 season tent I can loan out - sleeps 2, vestibule big enough for a dog, I may be interested in selling it. It's a Sierra Designs Aurora CD from the late 90s, weighs around 6 lbs.

Link to tent - hardly used. http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/tents/sierra-designs/PRD_76722_2955crx.aspx

Tinker
01-28-2009, 16:06
Can we get any more Pa/Md hikers on this one?

Would be a great way to see what future thruhikers might have to face in the Smokies.

wrongway_08
02-01-2009, 12:11
Updated:
- North bound
- Return Tuesday. 24th

Nice area, rocky.

Whos in:
- Daks
- Sasquatch?
- river 1?
- Tinker
- Chatter

Lost_Soul
02-01-2009, 12:25
LOL.. It's wierd seeing "Daks" on the list. (you can explain it to him in person)

I sent you (and a few others who can disseminate around them) the itinerary for my operation tomorrow on works email system. I would have IM'd you just now but you have my s/n blocked. <hint hint>

You have keys to the house if you wanted to stop by to see how good I'm doing. Hope you guys have fun on the trip.

Dak

Lost_Soul
02-01-2009, 14:40
duh... forgot to say... I'll be with you guys in spirit.

Lost_Soul
02-08-2009, 01:05
Hey Rick,
Things are healing alot quicker than expected. So, there's a chance I might actually be able to head out with you guys for one. !!! Give me a heads up with more specifics. Definitely appreciate the invite. (by then I shoulnd't be walking like some old man with a walker) LOL

Tinker
02-09-2009, 14:15
Bump!

Anybody else??

We could call this one "Hike of the unemployed" :D

DAKS
02-09-2009, 15:32
my kitchen pass is still pending? might not get approval as i will be out on the trail this coming weekend over valentines day?!

Tinker
02-09-2009, 15:45
my kitchen pass is still pending? might not get approval as i will be out on the trail this coming weekend over valentines day?!

Watch out for the ice - not on the TRAIL....

The THIN ICE you'll be walking on if you're out on St. V's day by yourself :eek:.;)

wrongway_08
02-10-2009, 23:46
Looking good, Sasquatch might have another hiker - a '08 thru-hiker!! that'll be cool to compare the hikes.

For the first night, thinking we could hit up Snore/no snor shelters (Peanuts idea), this would allow to meet us at Penmar and hike with us to the shelter and leave from there.

Tinker, will get the map out to you, and I need to get a chance to find the dog boots for another whiteblazer. Thought I could have it all done by now but everything is in boxes and I keep getting in late.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2009, 00:03
Your going to do the booties again? I don't recall it working so well last time.

Tinker
02-11-2009, 13:04
Turtle (non-Whiteblaze member) from RI says he would like to come along. If the footing is particularly bad I might try to dissuade him, since the reason he's a "Turtle" is that his eyesight slows him down. In the White Mts. he's a "mile per hour" hiker (if that). He also "likes his Limmers" - the six pound boots. I'm sure that doesn't help, either. He's a year older than I am and not in the best shape this time of year.
Should I tell him it's not for him?
Btw, Chatter is a much faster hiker than I am, though I'm sure his lips do about four times the mileage that his feet do :p. Oh, and he named himself! :D

wrongway_08
02-11-2009, 21:46
Okay here are the two ideas:

Park all cars at Penmar and do a out and back hike:
1) Sunday 4pm start our 8.5 mile hike to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA, snore/no snore shelters). This will allow Peanut to hike with us and leave Sunday night from Tumbling Run Shelters.

2) Monday, Hike 12.4 miles to Quarry Gap Shelters.

3) Tuesday, Start EARLY and hike the 21 miles back to our vehicles. Figure a 2 mph pace, this would be a fairly easy hike back to the cars.

Park a few cars at Penmar and others at Birch Run Shelter, one way hike:
1) Sunday 4pm start our 8.5 mile hike to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA, snore/no snore shelters). This will allow Peanut to hike with us and leave Sunday night from Tumbling Run Shelters.

2) Monday, Hike 12.4 miles to Quarry Gap Shelters.

3) Tuesday, Hike 11.9 miles to Tumbling Run Game preserve road and our cars.

I am planning this off of the maps and thru-hiker book, so if anyone has a better end point for the one way option, please speak up!

Other problem is that I will be arriving at 4pm at Penn-Mar due to my job. I wont be able to help with the shuttle of cars, it would be up to the early hikers to set up vehicles for rides back to Penn-Mar. I have no problem helping but it would mean more night hiking for the group.

What do you all think, dont know everyones hiking shape so let me know if it needs adjusting.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2009, 22:48
I would prefer to do the one direction hike and not the out and back. I am flexible with times and can meet up with someone to shuttle vehicles. I would like to maybe start a bit before 4pm. I am sure you will catch up Wrongway as you like to hike fast. That is unless you find yourself at the Devils Racecourse Shelter and have to flip around.

wrongway_08
02-11-2009, 23:22
That would work, I am also a fan of the one way hike. Me lost? never! misguided, redirected, exploring, bushwacking .... maybe.... but never lost :")

Baltimore Andy
02-11-2009, 23:29
i just came across this thread..... is this hike open to anyone? if so, i would be interested. i live in Baltimore and im heading down to springer on march 4th.

Peanut
02-11-2009, 23:49
That would work, I am also a fan of the one way hike. Me lost? never! misguided, redirected, exploring, bushwacking .... maybe.... but never lost :")

I bet to differ...with many examples to back me up ;) Should I start naming them?

Thank you for taking me into consideration with regards to your plans. If neither of those plans work for you guys, do what you need to do...I'll work something out. I can't wait to see you guys!! It's been too long!

Wrongway, who's the 'O8 thru hiker?

Tinker
02-12-2009, 00:19
i just came across this thread..... is this hike open to anyone? if so, i would be interested. i live in Baltimore and im heading down to springer on march 4th.

Absolutely! PM Wrongway_08 for details. He's in charge of this trip.

Tinker
02-12-2009, 00:28
I would prefer to do the one direction hike and not the out and back. I am flexible with times and can meet up with someone to shuttle vehicles. I would like to maybe start a bit before 4pm. I am sure you will catch up Wrongway as you like to hike fast. That is unless you find yourself at the Devils Racecourse Shelter and have to flip around.
Wrongway:
I emailed Sasquatch and told him that Chatter and I would have to leave earlier than 4:00 to do an 8+ mile hike. He has trouble hiking by headlamp.
I also offered to pick up Sasquatch at his house and drive him down with us.
I like the idea of a one way hike. Unfortunately, If we have to leave before you get to Penmar I wouldn't be able to spot my car at the end, obviously.

wrongway_08
02-12-2009, 00:37
Absolutely! PM Wrongway_08 for details. He's in charge of this trip.

Im really not the right person to put in charge of anything .... :eek: .... but I'll give it a shot.

Tinker
02-12-2009, 00:42
Im really not the right person to put in charge of anything .... :eek: .... but I'll give it a shot.

Hey, you came up with the idea, you're in charge. Simple as that! :D

I had asked in a previous post if the terrain would be hard for my extremely nearsighted friend Turtle. He could slow everyone up. I need to be able to tell him whether or not he should come. 2mph is max for him on easy, rolling terrain.

wrongway_08
02-12-2009, 00:52
Its mixed going North from PenMar, but there are rocky "babyhead" section for a good bit.

Tinker
02-12-2009, 01:14
Thanks. I think I'll tell Turtle that he'd be better off sitting this one out. He's basically an aging peakbagger. Long hikes seem to take a lot out of him lately.

wrongway_08
02-12-2009, 01:32
Updated 2-12-2009
Parade Of Fools, North bound from Pen-Mar Park on MD/PA border.
- Rocky area.

1) Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd at 4pm (group might leave earlier and I will catch up). Hike 8.5 miles North to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA Snore/No Snore Shelters). This will allow Peanut to join us and be able to leave Sunday night from the shelter area.

2) Monday 23rd, hike 12.4 miles to Quarry Gap Shelter.

3) Tuesday 24th, Hike 11.9 miles to Tumbling Run Game preserve road and our cars.

I am planning this off of the maps and thru-hiker book, so if anyone has a better end point for ending the hike and picking up our vehicles, let us know! :)

Whos in:
- Wrongway (& Erwin the dog?) (443-536-8106)
- Daks
- Sasquatch?
- river 1?
- Tinker
- Chatter
- Baltimore Andy (443-804-1513)

We need cell phone numbers of those going, if you dont want to post it, please PM it to everyone going. Thanks.

Peanut
02-12-2009, 07:38
Hey Tinker, if there are other people going who don't want to wait until 4 for Wrongway, that will allow you guys to shuttle, to get cars at the end, maybe.

Baltimore Andy
02-12-2009, 12:59
ok, count me in! i would like to leave with the earlier crowd if possible. I wouldn't mind helping with car arrangements either. my cell is -443-804-1513

Peanut-- its a small world , i live in Arbutus.

sasquatch2014
02-12-2009, 22:53
I am in kitchen pass in secured just working out last details for the kids while gone but should not be a problem. So unless the housing market takes off in the next week :-? I will be free to go and start early. Hank is loving his new pack. He has yet to do the turtle dog thing Wrongway.

What if any snow pack do you all have down that way? We lost most of ours in the past three days.

Cell 845 220 8856 I have Blackberry so Email works as well [email protected]

Tinker
02-12-2009, 23:00
I am in kitchen pass in secured just working out last details for the kids while gone but should not be a problem. So unless the housing market takes off in the next week :-? I will be free to go and start early. Hank is loving his new pack. He has yet to do the turtle dog thing Wrongway.

What if any snow pack do you all have down that way? We lost most of ours in the past three days.

Cell 845 220 8856 I have Blackberry so Email works as well [email protected]

RU riding with Chatter and me? Bring earplugs :D:rolleyes:;).

sasquatch2014
02-12-2009, 23:39
I think I'll drive down due to brining Hank along and as always I have to make stops to get stuff for my wife that she can only get down in Central PA.

Tinker
02-12-2009, 23:44
I think I'll drive down due to brining Hank along and as always I have to make stops to get stuff for my wife that she can only get down in Central PA.

Ok, we'll plan accordingly.

Peanut
02-13-2009, 07:39
We lost most of our this week with the warmer weather...I'm hiking Penn Mar sobo this weekend and can give you an update on Sunday if you like.

sasquatch2014
02-13-2009, 09:37
That would be awesome. I had hank up at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter yesterday for more puppy trail training. He did great by the way but man it was like a giant mud hole right in front of the shelter. The grown is thawing out so its soupy to start with then the snow melts off the shelter roof and just lands there so its extra wet. He was way dirty. And stupid me i didn't have a towel with me so he got a snow bath before he got in the car.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=31464&catid=member&imageuser=13750

sasquatch2014
02-13-2009, 21:48
Went out with him again today went from Rt 22 up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter and back. Had to check on my section and clear it after the last wind storm. One blow down up in the old field I think that I'll just leave it and move the trail around it in the field. Hank did well. Crashed hard when we got home but is now getting a second wind and wants to play. It was a 6.2 in just under 3 hrs with a 20 min break at the shelter with a bunch of icy spots so we kept a pretty good pace.

Tinker
02-13-2009, 22:08
We lost most of our this week with the warmer weather...I'm hiking Penn Mar sobo this weekend and can give you an update on Sunday if you like.

Sounds great. Snow is forecast there for Thurs. I believe. Watch your step.

sasquatch2014
02-14-2009, 09:42
Tinker it sounds like we will be the advance party so we will need to work out the details of where and when to meet up to shuttle cars. I am thinking that since I have the wagon it may be easier to fit the gear into the back of mine and put mine down at the south end. Since it's not too long of a hike it won't really add all that much more to my drive home and it will give you a bit of a jump start on your journey back to the tiny state.

Wrongway take a look at this link and tell me if any of these spots are the road you are talking about
http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/at_menu.aspx

Tinker
02-14-2009, 13:33
Sasquatch. We may be taking Chatter's Volvo wagon, so we have more room to shuttle people and gear than my Accord coupe. If we're going to be shuttling vehicles (you and Chatter and I), we'd better be at Penmar around noon, don't you think?

Lost_Soul
02-14-2009, 21:00
Rick,
Seems there should be no probs for me. Heck, the doc wants me to increase my activity load. :^D I'm easily a couple of weeks ahead on the quick recovery. (go figure) So, count this idiot in with you fools. LOL And PM me more specific instructions. The only thing, I'm gonna need a ride to this stuff.

Peanut
02-14-2009, 21:47
Trail report (keep in mind I went sobo from Penn Mar to I 70 footbridge, 18ish miles, and not north where you will be, but it's close enough) The trail had practically no snow/ice except a little ice at water sources. A little bit of mud here or there. As we were leaving it started snowing, but wasn't sticking much. I don't know how much more we're supposed to get this week. Hope that helps.

sasquatch2014
02-15-2009, 10:40
Yeah I was thinking the noon time or so that gives us plenty of time to get our act together and head up the trail. Sun is setting around 5:30 these days.

Chatter
02-15-2009, 11:21
Noon at Penmar works for me.

sasquatch2014
02-15-2009, 19:07
It will be good to see you again Chatter. How has the kneed been? Pretty cold this time of year to be waiting for our sorry asses at the end not like in June. The positive is the bugs should be non existant.

Chatter
02-15-2009, 22:03
Yes, will be good to hook up with you and some of the other fools again.

Oh, that knee; it's been fine once I stopped twisting it in those deep crevices on the Berkshires!

It'll be good to have your dog along for the hike. Would my 10-lb. two-burner Coleman camp stove fit in his pack?

sasquatch2014
02-15-2009, 22:28
Yes, will be good to hook up with you and some of the other fools again.

Oh, that knee; it's been fine once I stopped twisting it in those deep crevices on the Berkshires!

It'll be good to have your dog along for the hike. Would my 10-lb. two-burner Coleman camp stove fit in his pack?

Not sure that there will be room he already will be carrying my Turkey Deep Fryer.

Tinker
02-15-2009, 23:24
Not sure that there will be room he already will be carrying my Turkey Deep Fryer.

That's TOO funny!!!!!

I hope you've got enough turkey for the bunch! :D.

OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE!!!!!

WHO'S BRINGING THE COFFEE??????????????

Last trip I brought the organic shade grown fresh ground Costa Rican dolphin safe tree hugging politically correct brew.

Oh, I forgot, FREE TRADE, too. :D

Hammocks this trip? Chatter and I will be using ours.

I would like to make a move to institute a tradition for these POF trips: Each one bring a favorite treat to share with the others.

I'll volunteer the coffee again.

No more 3#s of marinated meat - ruins my image as an ultralighter.:o

Baltimore Andy
02-16-2009, 02:30
Pot luck backpacking, I like this idea.

wrongway_08
02-16-2009, 10:33
Updated 2-16-2009
- Rocky area.

1) - Penmar Park, Mapquest - The park address is 11400 Pen Mar High Rock Rd, Cascade MD 21719. Directions: from Waynesboro Center Square, go 2.7 miles East on PA Rte 16, go past Midvale light, at the "Y" keep right onto Old Rte 16, at 3.1 miles turn right onto Pen Mar Rd, to Pen Mar Park at 5.2 miles. - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Pen%20Mar%20Park&state=MD&country=us
- Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd at 12 noon for the early group.
- Leave at 4pm for the late group.
Hike 8.5 miles North to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA Snore/No Snore Shelters). This will allow Peanut to join us and be able to leave Sunday night from the shelter area.

3) Tuesday 24th, Hike 11.9 miles to Tumbling Run Game preserve road and our cars.

I am planning this off of the maps and thru-hiker book, so if anyone has a better end point for ending the hike and picking up our vehicles, let us know! :)

Whos in:
LATE (4pm) GROUP:
- Wrongway (& Erwin the dog) (443-536-8106)

EARLY (12 noon) GROUP:
- Powder River
- Daks
- Sasquatch (& Hank the dog)
- river 1
- Tinker
- Chatter

REMEBER: We need cell phone numbers of those going, if you dont want to post it, please PM it to everyone going. Thanks. If you dont and are late, you might be playn catch up :)

Tinker
02-16-2009, 15:42
Went out with him again today went from Rt 22 up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter and back. Had to check on my section and clear it after the last wind storm. One blow down up in the old field I think that I'll just leave it and move the trail around it in the field. Hank did well. Crashed hard when we got home but is now getting a second wind and wants to play. It was a 6.2 in just under 3 hrs with a 20 min break at the shelter with a bunch of icy spots so we kept a pretty good pace.

Would you like to borrow a tent for you and Hank, or are you good to go?

Pootz
02-16-2009, 15:48
Wrongway

Remember M&M and me from Traildays. Wish I could join you and Peanut but will have it sit this one out. It is great to see you here on White blaze. Have a good hike.

Kanati
02-16-2009, 20:11
Updated 2-16-2009
- Rocky area.

1) - Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd at 12 noon for the early group.
Hike 8.5 miles North to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA Snore/No Snore Shelters). This will allow Peanut to join us and be able to leave Sunday night from the shelter area.

Whos in:
LATE (4pm) GROUP:

EARLY (12 noon) GROUP:
- Daks
- Sasquatch (& Hank the dog)
- river 1
- Tinker
- Chatter

REMEBER: We need cell phone numbers of those going, if you dont want to post it, please PM it to everyone going. Thanks. If you dont and are late, you might be playn catch up :)

Wrongway, will you or Peanut do me a favor and snap a picture of the Mason-Dixon line sign and e-mail to me. I need it for my journal and future PP slide show. Thanks a bunch.

Peanut
02-16-2009, 21:38
Will do, if it's there. I don't know about you, but when we went through in June, it wasn't there anymore. Hopefully it was replaced.

sasquatch2014
02-16-2009, 22:56
Would you like to borrow a tent for you and Hank, or are you good to go?

Sorry for not touching base with you about this sooner but yes if we could borrow your tent that would be great. I can't believe that I am going to be ground dwelling. Damn dog better appreciate this.

Powder River
02-17-2009, 03:13
Hey gang,

Sasquatch talked to me about this hike and I might be going! Problem is I need to leave monday afternoon for work, so I might do an out and back hike. I would park at Penmar, hike to tumbling run and then hike back the next day. The other option would be to do some hiking on my own on Saturday, and be at Penmar by noon. I'd have to figure out the logistics on that one though. Sounds exciting though! Count me in.

Powder River
02-17-2009, 04:37
Oh hey Sasquatch, I have a 4lb, 3 season, 2 man tent you can use. If the logistics don't work out since I would be leaving early, you could just hold onto it for a while. It needs some use anyways.

Powder River
02-17-2009, 04:48
Wrongway, will you or Peanut do me a favor and snap a picture of the Mason-Dixon line sign and e-mail to me. I need it for my journal and future PP slide show. Thanks a bunch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95146814@N00/2837743006/

This is all that's left of the sign I'm 'fraid. Unless of course they've replaced it, but I would guess that any new sign wouldn't last long. Something like that would look real good hangin up next to a portrait of President Davis. :banana

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 09:45
Updated Tuesday Feb 17th

- Rocky area.

1) - Penmar Park, Mapquest - The park address is 11400 Pen Mar High Rock Rd, Cascade MD 21719. Directions: from Waynesboro Center Square, go 2.7 miles East on PA Rte 16, go past Midvale light, at the "Y" keep right onto Old Rte 16, at 3.1 miles turn right onto Pen Mar Rd, to Pen Mar Park at 5.2 miles. - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...=MD&country=us (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...=MD&country=us)
- Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd at 12 noon for the early group.

3) Tuesday 24th, Hike 10 miles to Shippensburg Road/Big flat fire tower and to our cars.
- Take 233 North Left on Shippensburg Road, park at large parking lot - A.T. will be up the parking lot, by the fire tower.

Whos in:
LATE (4pm) GROUP:

EARLY (12 noon) GROUP:
- Powder River (pm'd Number)
- Sasquatch (& Hank the dog) (845 220 8856)
- Peanut for the first day (I have number)
- Tinker (I have number)
- Chatter (401-212-6322)

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 09:47
I talk to the parks and they said to park at the new location, it is patroled by the park service and no special permission is needed to park there.

I WILL NEED::
- Plate Numbers
- Description of vehicles, make/year/color

of vehicles being parked there, the park service will check on the vehicles throught the day.

I lost my AT map, Looks like that wont get to you Tinker - unless I find it.

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 10:33
If you havent pm'd your phone numbers, please do soon.

river1
02-17-2009, 21:13
If you havent pm'd your phone numbers, please do soon.

Wrongway, sorry I can't make this trip.. I am real busy at work right now.. You guys and girls have fun and be safe.. Be sure to take plenty of pictures and I look forward to a video as well.. Take care and enjoy.

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 21:17
Noooooo......... River1!!!!!!!! I hope you dont turn into another Doggie Bag!

Hope to catch you on the next one buddy!

Chatter
02-18-2009, 05:25
REMEBER: We need cell phone numbers of those going, if you dont want to post it, please PM it to everyone going.

Chatter's cell phone number: 401-212-6322.

See you all on Sunday!

Chatter
02-18-2009, 05:31
River 1,

You'll be missed on the hike, since you'll be so busy at work.

If you could be persuaded, you could always "call in WELL!"

After all, keep in mind: You can love your job, but your job can never love you....

DAKS
02-18-2009, 09:48
my kitchen pass got pulled! had something to do with me hiking the last 5 days and missing valentines day!!!!

have a great hike and take lots of pics! have fun!

Peanut
02-18-2009, 11:38
Aw man, that stinks...and I was looking forward to meeting you both...maybe next time!

sasquatch2014
02-18-2009, 21:12
Cell 845 220 8856 you can also just yell really loudly and when I get close enough I'll hear you.

river1
02-18-2009, 22:01
Noooooo......... River1!!!!!!!! I hope you dont turn into another Doggie Bag!

Hope to catch you on the next one buddy!

nope no doggiebag here and I hope all is ok with him.. I will be on the next outing..

river1
02-18-2009, 22:17
River 1,

You'll be missed on the hike, since you'll be so busy at work.

If you could be persuaded, you could always "call in WELL!"

After all, keep in mind: You can love your job, but your job can never love you....

I agree that hiking with the POF group is more fun then working but this time I gotta work.. I was looking forward to trying out my new ULA pack on this hike. I also wanted to try out the new ear plugs I have, you know for when you wake up at 3am and want to chat with fellow hikers who are trying to sleep..:eek::-?:p

river1
02-18-2009, 22:27
Aw man, that stinks...and I was looking forward to meeting you both...maybe next time!

yeah I wanted to meet you as well. But there will be many more outings now that Wrongway is in charge and leading the way in true POF fashion..

Chatter
02-18-2009, 22:59
River 1 wrote, "I agree that hiking with the POF group is more fun then working but this time I gotta work.. I was looking forward to trying out my new ULA pack on this hike. I also wanted to try out the new ear plugs I have, you know for when you wake up at 3am and want to chat with fellow hikers who are trying to sleep.."

Oops, I'll try not to let that happen again.....me and my big mouth.... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Tinker
02-18-2009, 23:33
River 1 wrote, "I agree that hiking with the POF group is more fun then working but this time I gotta work.. I was looking forward to trying out my new ULA pack on this hike. I also wanted to try out the new ear plugs I have, you know for when you wake up at 3am and want to chat with fellow hikers who are trying to sleep.."

Oops, I'll try not to let that happen again.....me and my big mouth.... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Since I'm riding with you from RI, I figure I'll be deaf by the time we start hiking, so come over to my hammock and talk away.
You're not planning on sleeping in a SHELTER again are you?:rolleyes:

Chatter
02-19-2009, 06:45
Tinker wrote:
Since I'm riding with you from RI, I figure I'll be deaf by the time we start hiking, so come over to my hammock and talk away.
You're not planning on sleeping in a SHELTER again are you?

What? - I don't sleep in Shelters, I just go there to yammer ! OK, OK, on this trip, I'll be quiet. Real quiet. I can go without talking, ya know. When I want to. Anytime, just say the word and I'll stop jabbering. Reminds me of a story.....I'll tell you on the ride to MD.

Tinker
02-19-2009, 10:52
Tinker wrote:

What? - I don't sleep in Shelters, I just go there to yammer ! OK, OK, on this trip, I'll be quiet. Real quiet. I can go without talking, ya know. When I want to. Anytime, just say the word and I'll stop jabbering. Reminds me of a story.....I'll tell you on the ride to MD.

Well, good on the shelter thing. ;)
Re: the "story", I can hardly wait..................:rolleyes:. :)

Baltimore Andy
02-19-2009, 11:10
to the group thats leaving at 12 noon on sunday:
how are we working this car situation? meet at 11am at penmar and move some cars to the end or does someone else have a plan?

-andy

sasquatch2014
02-19-2009, 16:04
As Tinker Chatter and I are all coming from the north we will be parking a car there and then driving down to PenMar. We should have more than one car at the north end though I would think given the number of people so if you want to also meet at the north end then we can drive down together to Penmar giving us two cars at the north end.

wrongway_08
02-19-2009, 17:59
Need that car info by Friday, so the park people know your suppoose to be there. Tinker, I recieved yours.

river1
02-19-2009, 20:55
Tinker wrote:

Easy now boys, I was just having a little fun with Chatter, he really is a good guy to have around..

Tinker
02-19-2009, 21:19
Update: Parking information: The north trailhead will be (well it has been to date, I don't expect it to go anywhere) 3.5 mi. west of the junction of 233 and Shippensburg Rd. (NOT OLD Shippensburg Rd). There is a fire tower on the left with a parking area near it somewhere. Chatter has located a website that shows closeup satellite photos from many different directions, and has apparantly found it (though we can't see the trail). Neither of us have trail maps for the area, so we'll have to follow the blazes out of Penmar. Sasquatch has hiked this section before, I believe, so he will be a great help.

I will be bringing coffee for all, so don't bring any of your own unless you like weak coffee. This stuff is from Guatemala, fair trade, shade grown, 100% Arabica whole bean coffee (I will grind it just before I leave). It's organic, and certified "dolphin safe" :D. It's dark French roast. I will also be bringing sugar ("white death"), and non-dairy creamer (unless I find a plaster mix with more flavor:p).
If anyone has not gotten my phone# pm me.
The phone# for the Forestry office near the north trailhead is 717-352-2211. I talked to Cathy.
See you Sunday.

Tinker
02-19-2009, 21:23
to the group thats leaving at 12 noon on sunday:
how are we working this car situation? meet at 11am at penmar and move some cars to the end or does someone else have a plan?

-andy

Andy, meet us at the north trailhead. We'll leave your car and Sasquatch's there so we have enough room for all of us when we finish.
Pm me if you have any other questions the above post doesn't answer.
Thanks.

Tinker
02-19-2009, 21:34
Sasquatch:
This is the tent I'm bringing for you and Hank.
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/tents/sierra-designs/PRD_76722_2955crx.aspx Please bring a blanket to protect the floor from his nails. It doesn't need a ground cloth, so I won't saddle you with the extra weight. The actual weighed-on-my-scale-at-home weight of the tent excluding stakes is 6.5 lbs. The fly (not shown) has a full width front vestibule and a smaller one in the rear.

Chatter
02-19-2009, 22:19
Easy now boys, I was just having a little fun with Chatter, he really is a good guy to have around..

Thanks, River1. Nice to have at least one friend....but wait; you won't even be there.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to put up with Tinker's verbal abuse for yet another hike.

Tinker
02-19-2009, 22:23
Thanks, River1. Nice to have at least one friend....but wait; you won't even be there.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to put up with Tinker's verbal abuse for yet another hike.
"I'm a mirror, you are glue..............":p:rolleyes:.
"Mutually abusive".:D

sasquatch2014
02-19-2009, 22:50
Tinker, do you think a big towel will work for the floor so that it can also double as something to wipe him down with? I am not sure how big the inside of it is? I want to try to have multiple uses for anything that i carry. You know me being the UL type of hiker that I am.

Hey Flightdeck how is that recovery coming? I am sure there will be more trips as the weather gets even better wouldn't want you to miss the ones where we don't chatter or teeth at night because you pushed it to soon to make this one. Having been under the knife a few times I know that you often feel like your up for stuff only to find out halfway through it that it may have been a bad idea. I did this with my second back surgery and as a result ended up having a much longer overall recovery.

River we will miss you on this one but I am sure you will be able to get out for a few more of the NY trips while Tinker wraps up that section.

wrongway_08
02-19-2009, 23:00
Sasquatch and UL do not go hand in hand! Thinking this 6 pound tent might be considered his only true UL peice of gear :eek:.

I am tryn to get out a little early Sunday... only 30 minutes or so but would like to be in camp by 6 at the latest, this will be pushing it as I need to stop off by the house and get Erwin. Tryn to remember the fastest way to PenMar, I know it only took me 45 minutes last time.... might look at the map..... or try off memory :-?.

Powder River
02-20-2009, 04:00
Does anybody know where we park our cars at Penmar?

Powder River
02-20-2009, 04:14
Ha, nevermind. I can't read directions, apparently. Looking forward to this thing...

Peanut
02-20-2009, 07:48
Even I chuckled at Sasquatch's UL backpacking, and I've never backpacked with him before? hehe, who you tryin' to fool? :)

For any and all interested for this trip or other AT trips, this site has parking areas up and down the AT, consolidated...this might help you Wrongway. If you don't want to go the way it shows, I know a friend that usually takes 40 off of 70 past 15 instead, so I can try to get those directions for you.

Happy Friday!!

Peanut
02-20-2009, 07:58
Whoops...call it a blonde moment if you like, but I think I just haven't woken up yet...here is the site:

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

sasquatch2014
02-20-2009, 13:40
Wrongway I'll get you my car info later today sorry but busy it's Colton's 12 B-day.

Tons off stuff still to do before an early start Sunday am. I have to get all my gear together and see about maybe getting a new pair of hiking pants. I have lost enough weight even on the last trip they were feeling a bit too big.

Tinker
02-20-2009, 22:44
Tinker, do you think a big towel will work for the floor so that it can also double as something to wipe him down with? I am not sure how big the inside of it is? I want to try to have multiple uses for anything that i carry. You know me being the UL type of hiker that I am.

Hey Flightdeck how is that recovery coming? I am sure there will be more trips as the weather gets even better wouldn't want you to miss the ones where we don't chatter or teeth at night because you pushed it to soon to make this one. Having been under the knife a few times I know that you often feel like your up for stuff only to find out halfway through it that it may have been a bad idea. I did this with my second back surgery and as a result ended up having a much longer overall recovery.

River we will miss you on this one but I am sure you will be able to get out for a few more of the NY trips while Tinker wraps up that section.

A towel should be fine for the floor. The tent's basically a loaner since my wife stopped hiking and I bought the Akto. No worries.

Chatter
02-21-2009, 14:20
A few threads back, Tinker suggested bringing food to share, and said he'd bring coffee for all. OK, I'll bite....so to speak.

Cookies. I'll bring cookies that my wife made yesterday. I talked her in to making some extra for the foolsparade. I'll give them away at the at Penmar trailhead at noon; I'll pack a couple for Wrongway, who will be getting a late start.

They chocolate chip and are very tasty - can you imagine a chocolate chip/coconut meringue cookie? Well, it sounds weird, but they are good.

Tinker
02-21-2009, 16:19
Chatter and I are on our way, via an overnight stay at Chatter's friend's house in NJ. We are going to try to stay south of the snow/ice if that's possible. We will be at the lot on Shippensburg Rd. Sun. by 11:00 AM. Call Wrongway if you don't have my phone # and need to get hold of me.
Later.

wrongway_08
02-21-2009, 16:44
Going out to buy food.... everything else is good to go!

wrongway_08
02-21-2009, 19:08
I'll bring the Ramen!!!! :D

Bringing pop corn for the crew :)

Baltimore Andy
02-21-2009, 19:37
who likes ODWALLA bars? see you at 11am...

sasquatch2014
02-21-2009, 21:16
Still packing crap so many last minuet things to do today and only some of them are about this trip. I will be glad to get lost in the woods for a while.

Baltimore Andy
02-24-2009, 22:33
It was nice to meet the fools. I had a better time then the vintage NALGENE.

Chatter
02-24-2009, 22:36
It was fun.

sasquatch2014
02-25-2009, 00:06
Made it home safe. Thought Hank may have died in the back seat he didn't move for a few hours. Great trip time to start planning the next one. We should have had our shot taken the first night so it had Peanut and Powder River in it too. But here is the one that came out best.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=31855&original=1&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1

wrongway_08
02-25-2009, 16:00
It was nice to meet the fools. I had a better time then the vintage NALGENE.

It took some real "heat"!! The rest of you non-fools will have to wait and see what we are talking about ...............:p

Great trip everyone, good to meet the new hikers and glad to catch up with the crew!!

Will get photos up soon, getting ready to do the school presentation now.

sasquatch2014
02-25-2009, 16:03
I hope that you didn't wash off the hiker funk that you built up it needs to be a real sensory presentation.

Hank is already having trail withdrawals. I had a ton of stuff to do today and he has not wanted to be closed up in the house. He want's to be out in the snow and chewing on sticks. He keeps looking up at his pack like lets go dad.

wrongway_08
02-25-2009, 17:12
I'll start planning the next trip soon,, will head up north towarrds you this time. Tell hank it wont be that long!

What areas do you need to fill in?

sasquatch2014
02-25-2009, 17:34
I need everything from The NY/NJ line down to where we ended this time.

wrongway_08
02-25-2009, 19:59
I'm on it! Will post it up next week.

Going to try and download some photos ..... see how this works :)

sasquatch2014
02-25-2009, 21:17
Cool I am always game for a fools trip when I can swing it.

wrongway_08
02-25-2009, 21:30
Cant post photos.... this Windows Vista doesnt allow me to minimize one window and open another - it closes the first one .... gues I have to learn the proper way of downloading from photobucket?

Powder River
02-26-2009, 01:26
Did the nalgene finally bite it? Wish I could have gone a few more days with y'all. Had fun. Nice to be out in the sticks again! Sign me up for more!

sasquatch2014
02-26-2009, 02:37
Oh yeah it was toast wait until you see the pic once Wrongway gets it posted.

Tinker
02-28-2009, 00:26
HOT DOG!
I brought a package of uncured organic beef hot dogs along with the "dolphin safe" :D coffee. Peanut's cookies and Rice Krispies squares were enjoyed by all (mostly by me - unfortunately).
I found the lower limits of my winter hammock setup with the 40 degree Golite bag and minimal clothing (Golite Polarguard jacket, long johns, nylon pants and wool socks) - 10 degrees - I woke up in the middle of the second night to recharge (reheat) my hot water bottle in the embers of the night's fire - EVERYONE should get one of those stainless steel bottles and an insulated holder for it. The 40 oz. Klean Kanteen can be put right on a fire with no ill effects, water can be brought to a boil, sterilizing it, it can be kept warm overnight in your sleeping bag, and your wimpy Supercat stove can have it boiling in no time next morning (especially if you sleep with the alcohol, too).
We all had lots of coffee and stayed up WAY too late. :D.
Great time. Not too many rocks. I was REALLY out of shape! :(
Getting back to work and riding the bike should help for the next POF.

Chatter
02-28-2009, 21:32
Cant post photos.... this Windows Vista doesnt allow me to minimize one window and open another - it closes the first one .... gues I have to learn the proper way of downloading from photobucket?

There must be someone out there who knows how to use Vista to load your shots.

BTW, Wrongway: did you leave a hat in Tinker's car? He returned some stuff of mine and I ended up with an extra hat. Do you want to claim it or should I bury it with the remains of the old decimated Nalgene?

wrongway_08
02-28-2009, 21:55
Dang it, was it the grey or a black smart wool?

I made a video out of the photos and posted that, look under "General" forum, its listed as Parade of fools photos ... or ... something like that.

wrongway_08
02-28-2009, 21:56
here you go,

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47270

Tinker
03-01-2009, 01:04

I made a video out of the photos and posted that, look under "General" forum, its listed as Parade of fools photos ... or ... something like that.

It was the black one. I think Chatter has his eye on it.:D

Chatter
03-01-2009, 07:56

It was black, but not a "Smart Wool". Check to see if you are missing a hat. :-?

I'll bring the hat to the next POF trek and you can tell me if it is yours or mine.

Hmm, just so I don't forget to bring it, I'll pack the hat in my NEW NALGENE bottle!

Tinker
03-02-2009, 01:08
Is anybody up for the Mass/Conn. section from Jug End south to Rt. 41 (or further) next month? River 1 was hoping to do that section last fall and we never got around to it. I've done it twice, myself. Enjoyed both times, solo and with my family.

wrongway_08
03-02-2009, 06:21
Yea, the hats mine. If you could just hold it till the next hike. Thanks :)!

Getting plans ready for the next hike....:sun

sasquatch2014
03-02-2009, 12:12
I still need from where we ended on Jug end to West Cornwall Rd. Talked with some of my friends when I was up in NH for the B-day party this past weekend and talked about doing that section in May possibly. I think I have about 36 miles in that area and will have that wrapped up. Tinker you still have all of NJ left to do right?

river1
03-02-2009, 20:31
Sorry I missed the latest POF trip.. Looks like you guys had fun as always, you looked a little cold though.. Great vidoe and pictures too.. My hiking itinery is as such - As tinker said, I need Jug end rd to rt41 as well, so throw out some dates and lets get out there.. I need to set up a hike for when "Man Bear Pig" gets out of college in may, was thinking of going north of Mass 90 or south of delaware water gap for about a week, so check your schedules and let me know if your interested.. Tinker, I know you want to finish NY so throw out some dates and I will join you... As always, I just want to get out and enjoy the woods so lets plan something asap cause I need to shoehorn my hiking around my work schedule..

Chatter
03-03-2009, 07:20
[QUOTE=wrongway_08;792169]Yea, the hats mine. If you could just hold it till the next hike. Thanks :)!

OK, OK, you can have the hat. Just promise not to destroy any more Nalgene bottles....:D

wrongway_08
03-03-2009, 07:56
jug end to rt 41, looking into it, since both you need it. Would be nice to hike out of MD!

sasquatch2014
03-03-2009, 20:15
If we do this section let's hold it off until may for ManBearPig to be able to do that with us and maybe my friends could jump in to the fray as well.

wrongway_08
03-03-2009, 20:17
cool. So it South of NJ/NY line you need? Well, the couple miles south from the NJ/NY line.

wrongway_08
03-03-2009, 20:19
I'll have Kristy along for this one and Peanut will be joining us. This should be a pretty big turn out this time around.

April 4th (sat) and 5th (sun).

Lost_Soul
03-03-2009, 20:52
Sounds good here. So, definitely count me in... well, as long as Dr. Wrongway says it's ok for me to walk that weekend. :^D Not sure if TrailHikerToo will be able to join us or not. Have asked, though. And maybe one or two more (don't hold your breath... even if yout mouth is duct taped)
Wrongway, PM me with more specifics near the end of March... either here or at work.
Thanks bud,
Dak.

sasquatch2014
03-04-2009, 12:51
Maybe we should start a new thread and let the old one die an honorable death like the nalgen bottle. When are those pics getting posted by the way?