PDA

View Full Version : Knives and long distance backpacking...

Runsalone
01-22-2009, 23:42
....What knife do you need. Answer:not much! A few videos about long hiking trips and the tools needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHCp...e=channel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHCpR-U9Tk&feature=channel_page)

Note this is a series about a specific tool use. Backpacking, not bushcraft or survival type uses. The set of tools I would choose for a hunting, backpacking, or survival type outing vary widely. Of course each individual must find what works for them and what level of confidence in their ability to do what needs done with the tools they've chosen.

In long distance backpacking, ounces and pounds can be ultimate monkeys for some. Extra pounds can lead to injury and can limit your experience of the trip to a tireless slog , instead of a challenging adventure.

More to come in this series.;)

sticks&stones
01-23-2009, 00:11
strap one of those to your hip, and walk into town for resuppy, cause there's no way your getting a hitch.

Runsalone
01-23-2009, 02:12
strap one of those to your hip, and walk into town for resuppy, cause there's no way your getting a hitch.

Thats what the leatherman micra was for;)

Runsalone
01-23-2009, 02:34
And some mid-weight ponderings...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ch_m0HEss&feature=channel_page

Lightweight ponderings to come..;):D

JAK
01-23-2009, 08:38
That's a really nice hawk.

SGT Rock
01-23-2009, 10:14
Leatherman Micra is pretty good.

Wags
01-23-2009, 12:13
[quote=Runsalone;763599Note this is a series about a specific tool use. Backpacking, not bushcraft or survival type uses. The set of tools I would choose for a hunting, backpacking, or survival type outing vary widely.[/quote]

just to play devil's advocate. most people who end up in survival situations don't set out with that in mind. "oh i think i'm gonna get lost and be stuck out in the mountains for a week. i better make sure i bring my survival knife this trip"

just somethign to think about

slugger
01-23-2009, 12:51
My "survival" (http://www.cutco.com/products/productEnlarged.jsp?itemGroup=1769) knife I bring everywhere I go. Got it as a gift a few years ago. Has a "forever warranty" I am about to try out based on the missing tip mine has.
I plan on bringing it on the trail with me for my thru. I agree with hiking PA and if the weight really gets on my nerves I can always ship it home.

SENRABJOE
01-23-2009, 13:00
I'm bringing my Swiss Army Survial knife, it has a sharp one inch blade and a tweezers for splinters, OH by the way, it weighs less the 2 ounces. ANYBODY carrying a big knife should do a few shorter trips and then some reading about what to carry.

SGT Rock
01-23-2009, 13:05
I have one of those knives and took it on my thru. But I found the blade to be a little smaller than I liked and it didn't hold an edge very well. So I started carrying my Becker Necker which was overkill. Next time I go find me another Micra.

JAK
01-23-2009, 13:12
I now carry a small opinel knife year round, but the scissors and fingernail and toenail mending bits of that Leatherman Micra would be handy. I like to do sewing and stove projects out there, to pass the time and do the tinkering out there rather than at home.

I carry a 1 pound hatchet in winter, but I like that hawk much better. It shaft is a little longer, but it might be somwhat lighter overall. I like the hammer end, as that does come in handy. It is often useful in backwoods to bring a half dozen or so small nails. Its not like I need a hatchet everyday, but it is still handy everyday, especially when its cold enough you want to keep your mitts on, and its good insurance for if you did need to build a serious fire and shelter, like if you got wet and then it went 0F or colder.

JAK
01-23-2009, 13:18
The opinel is light, and has a nice blade with a decent lock, but it isn't strong enough for any serious prying. It also needs a cord. I haven't drilled a hole for one yet. There is just enough room left for a small drilled hole for the blade to still close. So far I've used it without the cord. Maybe it makes me more careful to close it and pocket it, but some day I'll probably lose it.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2696855&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442419669

slugger
01-23-2009, 15:25
ANYBODY carrying a big knife should do a few shorter trips and then some reading about what to carry.

You would think, however after doing a good amount of reading a many weekend to week long trips I still find it at my side.

Gumbi
01-23-2009, 17:03
I'm bringing my Swiss Army Survial knife, it has a sharp one inch blade and a tweezers for splinters, OH by the way, it weighs less the 2 ounces. ANYBODY carrying a big knife should do a few shorter trips and then some reading about what to carry.

Hike your own hike. I will take what I want. I like a nice, sturdy sheath knife, because I know that it won't fail me, even if all my other gear does.

Runsalone
01-23-2009, 17:28
Hike your own hike. I will take what I want. I like a nice, sturdy sheath knife, because I know that it won't fail me, even if all my other gear does.

EVERYTHING can fail. Survival is whats in your head not whats in your hands.;)

Mags
01-23-2009, 17:32
Ack! Another knife thread!

For equipment talk, KNIVES and WATER FILTERS seem to get talked about more than any other piece of gear.

For something like the Appalachian Trail (and I would argue for backpackinfg in general) they are probably the least important pieces of equipment...yet they get talked about the most.

Never did figure that out...

Runsalone
01-23-2009, 17:37

For equipment talk, KNIVES and WATER FILTERS seem to get talked about more than any other piece of gear.

For something like the Appalachian Trail (and I would argue for backpackinfg in general) they are probably the least important pieces of equipment...yet they get talked about the most.

Folks seem to think theyre going to have to build a cabin when there pack gets blown off a cliff. Im getting around to posting the ultralight variety of stuff to consider, for the really important survival tasks like ...opening a lipton packet...cutting salami/cheese....trimming line.....:rolleyes:

My point really was to maybe help some save weight on this particular item, but as usual on white blaze things deteriorate quickly.

Runsalone
01-23-2009, 17:40
I have one of those knives and took it on my thru. But I found the blade to be a little smaller than I liked and it didn't hold an edge very well. So I started carrying my Becker Necker which was overkill. Next time I go find me another Micra.

I carried the micra, it WAS perfect. I carried a spyderco delica in my pocket at 2 Oz. Im just so used to having one there. But I could have got away with just the micra no problem.

Mags
01-23-2009, 18:56
Folks seem to think theyre going to have to build a cabin when there pack gets blown off a cliff.

I know. We are probably silly. On the AT we'd look at a map and get to the nearest road less than 5 miles away. :D If we had the Robinson Crusoe special, we could build that cabin!

Wags
01-24-2009, 00:36
but mags. you may never need that knife on the first 1000 trips you take, but if you need it on 1001 and don't have it...

i'm just saying, ya never know - same w/ water. some stuff gets poo-poo'd here that maybe shouldn't. herd mentality at work

Runsalone
01-24-2009, 03:02
Here are some ultralite ponderings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfCh2hlwWE

Im not poo-pooing anything. I have all those knives in the first video for thier own reasons. Just not for backpacking.;)

Everyone is always so quick to defend their cherished large "indestructible" blade when the debate comes up, but I never see anyone , almost EVER!, say why and what they expect to do with it that is so life saving, that cant be done with other tools or even no knife at all.

I do agree that a knife is a very important tool in the woods but all things have there place. What is that one function on the 1001th trip that Mags will need a Busse battle mistress for? I bet I can do it with my 3 oz. mora. Maybe even a swiss army knife, or find a way around doing it at all for better technique. Go ahead big knife people.....Test me.:cool:

There is such a thing as herd mentality but also a thing as collective experience. I would think theres alot of that here... Go into Mountain xings with your air force survival knife and see what they have to say. I dont think anybody would argue that the folks there know what they are talking about when it comes to long distance backpacking;)

As always, these are just my experiences and ramblings designed to provoke thought for those paring down thier gear and getting ready for a long hike:). Im a firm believer in HYOH. I pass no judgement on anyone for there choice of gear. The important thing is were out there enjoying the trail and enjoying life, and whatever someone needs to carry to make that experience work for them is totally cool by me!!:sun

Rockhound
01-24-2009, 09:50
A small jack knife is all that's needed. anything bigger is just unnecessary weight.

take-a-knee
01-24-2009, 13:03
A knife like the Breeden PSSK is, in my mind, justifiable for any hiker. The weight penalty is slight. The knife isn't too big to go delicate work, it is big enough to accomplish two lifesaving tasks; baton-split soaking wet standing- dead conifer limbs to build a hypothermia-preventing fire, and for use as a weapon, with the fire-building being about a hundred times more likely. I won't hike with my daughter without a handgun. By myself I would feel adequately armed with this knife. A battle mistress or a kukhri would be more effective as a weapon, but untold thousands have killed their would-be assailants with a knife no larger than this:

http://breedenknives.com/?page_id=65

JAK
01-24-2009, 13:20
I don't think there is anything wrong with one or two robust comfort items.
For me in winter its a hatchet. When with my daughter a big hiking stick. For some its a big knife, or perhaps some nice hiking boots. For some it might be an extra pound of tent. These items are partly day-to-day functional, partly just-in-case functional, but mostly just feel right to carry. I have a Kelly Kettle I don't always bring because its a bit of an awkward fit, so I'm still working on something better. My hatchet fits nicely, and is quite handy, even if a small knife is sufficient most times. I made a hobo stove with it in -20F using a coffee can and small nail. It gave me something to do. Some items ain't that heavy, as long as their handy.

Runsalone
01-24-2009, 13:39
A knife like the Breeden PSSK is, in my mind, justifiable for any hiker. The weight penalty is slight. The knife isn't too big to go delicate work, it is big enough to accomplish two lifesaving tasks; baton-split soaking wet standing- dead conifer limbs to build a hypothermia-preventing fire, and for use as a weapon, with the fire-building being about a hundred times more likely. I won't hike with my daughter without a handgun. By myself I would feel adequately armed with this knife. A battle mistress or a kukhri would be more effective as a weapon, but untold thousands have killed their would-be assailants with a knife no larger than this:

Thats a nice knife!

JAK
01-24-2009, 13:47
Eventually I will replace my small opinel folding/locking knife with a small fixed blade. Something like that one above is exactly what I have in mind, but I think I will go with one of these ones I see one in a store, because they are made here in the Maritimes.

This one maybe...
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

There is a really nice looking knife on the bottom of this page.
The handle is made of a traditional material called Oosik, from a Walrus.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/unusual.html

One of the advantages of going light, or ultralight, is you have room for something special even if its a bit heavy. Similarly I guess, if you are a minimalist and like to carry as few things as possible, the special items you do carry might be more meaningful.

Runsalone
01-24-2009, 14:07
This isnt war, its the AT. Untold thousands have killed thier would-be assailants with rocks....Untold MILLIONS have simply been killed by there assailants because they got snuck up on and killed when they werent expecting it. The bad guys wont give you a fair shot to defend yourself unless you know theyre coming, this is why they are the BAD GUY!

Using a knife to defend yourself means you have been attacked by someone who is using a weapon,(or else your going to jail for AT LEAST manslaughter..) if they are using a knife then youre both going to hack at each other until someone bleeds to death, if they are not using a knife but something.....else... your 4 inch knife is pretty much useless. Awarness and knowing when to withdraw from a situation would seem more prudent.

Frankly Id rather have a 3 foot stick to defend myself with than any blade shorter than a machete....WAIT..... Whatdayaknow theres one in each hand already!!:eek: But im not in the millitary so what do I know:D

As far as hypothermia...thats why we all carry stoves and 300+ $ Sleeping bags! Much more direct route to warm is hot drink+ quick shelter+warm sleeping bag =warm. Instead of mucking about with your knife in the conditions that caused your hypothermia to begin with, trying not to lop off a limb while batoning soaking firewood for an hour because your mind is all cloudy and your shaking uncontrollably.;) By the way have you ever seen and "indestructible" knife broken due to improper batoning technique? I have.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328256

That guy is millitary trained so what chance do the rest of use have?:rolleyes:

Anything can fail! Of course HYOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just presenting food for thought, not trying to be judgmental of others hiking styles;)

I stand that survival is between your ears :cool:

BobTheBuilder
01-24-2009, 14:24
I know this is blasphemy, but I've got about 400 miles in week-long section hikes under my boots, and I have never used my pocket knife. I've started carrying smaller and smaller knives because it seems like wasted weight, and now I carry about a 1 ounce lock blade. I'm thinking about just bringing a utility knife blade next month on my next section in case I need to cut rope or skin a chipmunk or something. I know, I'm an idiot and I haven't thru hiked, but I just never need a knife while I'm backpacking.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2009, 14:26
the only thing i've used my knife for is cutting onions and peppers and carving my name in shelters

JAK
01-24-2009, 15:08
This isnt war, its the AT. Untold thousands have killed thier would-be assailants with rocks....Untold MILLIONS have simply been killed by there assailants because they got snuck up on and killed when they werent expecting it. The bad guys wont give you a fair shot to defend yourself unless you know theyre coming, this is why they are the BAD GUY!

Using a knife to defend yourself means you have been attacked by someone who is using a weapon,(or else your going to jail for AT LEAST manslaughter..) if they are using a knife then youre both going to hack at each other until someone bleeds to death, if they are not using a knife but something.....else... your 4 inch knife is pretty much useless. Awarness and knowing when to withdraw from a situation would seem more prudent.

Frankly Id rather have a 3 foot stick to defend myself with than any blade shorter than a machete....WAIT..... Whatdayaknow theres one in each hand already!!:eek: But im not in the millitary so what do I know:D

As far as hypothermia...thats why we all carry stoves and 300+ $ Sleeping bags! Much more direct route to warm is hot drink+ quick shelter+warm sleeping bag =warm. Instead of mucking about with your knife in the conditions that caused your hypothermia to begin with, trying not to lop off a limb while batoning soaking firewood for an hour because your mind is all cloudy and your shaking uncontrollably.;) By the way have you ever seen and "indestructible" knife broken due to improper batoning technique? I have.

Anything can fail! Of course HYOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just presenting food for thought, not trying to be judgmental of others hiking styles;)

I stand that survival is between your ears :cool:I didn't understand any of that.
What post were you responding to?

JAK
01-24-2009, 15:29
I know this is blasphemy, but I've got about 400 miles in week-long section hikes under my boots, and I have never used my pocket knife. I've started carrying smaller and smaller knives because it seems like wasted weight, and now I carry about a 1 ounce lock blade. I'm thinking about just bringing a utility knife blade next month on my next section in case I need to cut rope or skin a chipmunk or something. I know, I'm an idiot and I haven't thru hiked, but I just never need a knife while I'm backpacking.If you use a knife it doesn't need to be big but it might as well be comfortable and pleasant to use and to carry. I would suggest this. Make yourself some bark tea, with steel mug or billy can and few sticks and rocks. If you enjoyed that experience, and might enjoy it more with the use of a small knife, then whatever knife makes that experience most pleasant is a good knife. If you think you might snare and skin and cook a rabbit or squirrel some day, then perhaps a knife with that in mind also. Walking alone is a wonderful experience, but I wouldn't restrict myself to that alone if I lived someplace and hiked someplace where I didn't need to. It is better to be a part of nature than to simple walk past it.

Runsalone
01-24-2009, 15:36
I didn't understand any of that.
What post were you responding to?
Post #22 sorry!:o

Runsalone
01-24-2009, 15:38

This one JAK... sorry bout that!;)

JAK
01-24-2009, 15:49
Post #22 sorry!:oThat thing? It's just a camp knife, and a very practical and useful looking one at that.

I don't really like the name "The Personal Survival Kit Knife", but its alot better than most of the Rambo Knives out there. There is another side to knives and guns than all the crazy stuff. Even the survival stuff is very interesting. I would like to see more emphasis on 'simple living in a natural habitat', rather than 'survival', but I guess most people today wouldn't consider "The Personal Simple Living In a Natural Habitat Kit Knife" so appealing. I'm pretty sure they used to be called "Camp Knife", in the books I've read and the folks I've asked the good ones looked more or less like that one.

JAK
01-24-2009, 16:00
My dad had one of these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn-Sykes_Fighting_Knife

He was with the Royal Canadian Engineers in WWII. I never asked when or why he bought the knife, or why he kept it. As far as I know he didn't take it with him when he went to the woods, when he went deer hunting or fishing. Maybe he kept it around for home security I don't know, but it was quite the knife and I'm note sure what became of it. I used to sneak it out back and throw it against trees, which I know now was a horrible thing to do to such a knife as it was intended for other purposes. My point is that people with military experience I don't have, may have reason to collect and carry knives that I don't. I have to respect that. I think its ok to make fun of the others though. Me with a fighting knife. Now that would be funny. :)

theinfamousj
01-24-2009, 20:18
I haven't seen it mentioned before, but the "knife" I'm most likely to be out in the woods with is my Utilikey (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6d98/). It has both a flat blade and a small serated section.

I'm sure we've all had experiences where we are in the woods without whatever we planned on having and that was when I realized how handy my Utilikey (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6d98/) was. I brought it along because it happened to be on the key ring with my car key and whistle. It helped me cut rope, whittle sticks into chopsticks (I also forgot my eating utensil ... I forgot a lot of things on that trip), trim my nails, pop blisters, tighten my glasses, and cut hard cheese.

garlic08
01-24-2009, 20:40
I know this is blasphemy, but I've got about 400 miles in week-long section hikes under my boots, and I have never used my pocket knife. I've started carrying smaller and smaller knives because it seems like wasted weight, and now I carry about a 1 ounce lock blade. I'm thinking about just bringing a utility knife blade next month on my next section in case I need to cut rope or skin a chipmunk or something. I know, I'm an idiot and I haven't thru hiked, but I just never need a knife while I'm backpacking.

Not blasphemy at all and you're not an idiot. Some really smart thru hikers don't carry a "real" knife. All I've carried for many thousands of miles is a single-edged razor blade, or maybe I'll splurge and carry two on a long trip. I've used it to open food packages, cut some line, and I dug a cactus spine out just the other day. I cut food with the edge of my spoon or with my teeth. One great advantage, if you have the opportunity to carry your pack on a plane, you can throw away the blade and buy one at any drug store when you land.

As I passed Mt Crossings last year, I heard a young guy talking to Mom on the phone, saying he was sending home his two-pound sheath knife. "Even though it's not in the pack", they convinced him the weight actually counts and he sounded pretty pleased with the many pounds of unneeded gear he was sending home.

Later in the trip, another hiker watched me use my blade for something, and was incredulous that was all I had. I asked him what he was using his "real" knife for. He said to cut apples and stuff. Wow.

Mags
01-24-2009, 21:11
I finally realized why people are advocating bringing a "real" knife:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

I only ask that those who carry a real knife speak with a charming Aussie accent as well when speaking about their knives! :D

Dances with Mice
01-24-2009, 21:30
I got this (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0001UZMOI). Skids told me about it a couple years ago.

Love the little damn thing. One's in my backpack, I keep another in my lunch box that I take to work, another's hanging in the vegetable garden 12 months a year (I just drilled a hole in the handle and ran a wire through it to hang), one's in the glove compartment in the van, one's in my tool box, I got another one or two in the kitchen somewhere.

Stays sharp, doesn't rust, easy to re-sharpen, and easy to clean. Cuts stuff and spreads peanut butter. Scales and cleans trout. I've split wood by baton'ing it. I've done lots of other stuff you probably shouldn't do with a knife and haven't broken one yet. Lightweight, easy to store and carry. There's not much to dislike about it.

The best part is they're cheap and I can get them in a blister pack at the local grocery store.

SunnyWalker
01-24-2009, 23:01
I've talked a lot and made many statements about a fixed blade knife. But at 56 years old and 60 when I thru hike I am looking at Ultra light. It will be something like the Leatherman Micra, not my big ole Buck fixed blade knife. Hate to leave it behind as it was a gift from my daughter, but I want to make it THRU.

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 00:16
I've talked a lot and made many statements about a fixed blade knife. But at 56 years old and 60 when I thru hike I am looking at Ultra light. It will be something like the Leatherman Micra, not my big ole Buck fixed blade knife. Hate to leave it behind as it was a gift from my daughter, but I want to make it THRU.

What about somting like the breeden knife that was posted earlier? Or a mora? You can have your fixed blade for very little weight if you shop around! Like 2 oz or less. Just a thought. You certainly could get by with the leatherman micra too!;)

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 00:29
What about somting like the breeden knife that was posted earlier? Or a mora? You can have your fixed blade for very little weight if you shop around! Like 2 oz or less. Just a thought. You certainly could get by with the leatherman micra too!;)

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Pagansdad/morsmall002.jpg

Runsalone
2 oz.!!

Runsalone
Oh wow! I didnt know we could post pics on WB cool!

ianjoe59
01-25-2009, 00:41
I'm a fan of the Micra too, love the scissors, use it the most.
Still carry my fixed blade Mora though, gotta have a fixed or locking blade for safety.
(fingers safety that is)
I have the new style with plastic handle.
3.6oz with case.
http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 00:59
I'm a fan of the Micra too, love the scissors, use it the most.
Still carry my fixed blade Mora though, gotta have a fixed or locking blade for safety.
(fingers safety that is)
I have the new style with plastic handle.
3.6oz with case.
http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm

One of the ones in the video thats become a go-to knife is my Mora 745. Ugly plastic handle but does wood work like nobodys buisness. For around ten bucks and 3oz. its a great backpacking knife.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Pagansdad/mora745008.jpghttp://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Pagansdad/mora745003.jpg

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 01:06
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Pagansdad/mora745008-1.jpgand the 2 oz. one in hand.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Pagansdad/inhandmora001.jpg

Nest
01-25-2009, 02:32

I stand that survival is between your ears :cool:

Actually, when I was almost shot in the head last year on my thru I was very glad I had a good sturdy 3 inch blade and not some puny knife. I was also wishing I had my 7 inch Kabar as I was crawling up behind the people who almost killed me. Turns out that they were target practicing and didn't see me, but that was only realized once I got a few feet from them and could observe them. Either way, they had handguns and a shot gun and I had a knife. I was 10 feet behind them and they didn't know I was there, so I would have won that fight with my knife vs their firearms. So a knife makes an acceptable weapon in the hands of someone who has trained with them.

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 02:41
Actually, when I was almost shot in the head last year on my thru I was very glad I had a good sturdy 3 inch blade and not some puny knife. I was also wishing I had my 7 inch Kabar as I was crawling up behind the people who almost killed me. Turns out that they were target practicing and didn't see me, but that was only realized once I got a few feet from them and could observe them. Either way, they had handguns and a shot gun and I had a knife. I was 10 feet behind them and they didn't know I was there, so I would have won that fight with my knife vs their firearms. So a knife makes an acceptable weapon in the hands of someone who has trained with them.

I.................dont even know how to respond to that.:rolleyes:

Nest
01-25-2009, 02:50
I.................dont even know how to respond to that.:rolleyes:

An example of the 1001 time you go out and actually do need a real knife like HikingPA was talking about.

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 03:02
An example of the 1001 time you go out and actually do need a real knife like HikingPA was talking about.

:datzSigh....

Nest
01-25-2009, 04:00
:datzSigh....

Hmm... so you get frustrated when someone has a real life experience that goes against what you like to think?

troglobil
01-25-2009, 10:30
They weren't hunting you. They were target shooting. All you had to do was yell , and they would have known you were there. Come charging with a knife and you might actually get shot.

JAK
01-25-2009, 10:47
I got this (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0001UZMOI). Skids told me about it a couple years ago.

Love the little damn thing. One's in my backpack, I keep another in my lunch box that I take to work, another's hanging in the vegetable garden 12 months a year (I just drilled a hole in the handle and ran a wire through it to hang), one's in the glove compartment in the van, one's in my tool box, I got another one or two in the kitchen somewhere.

Stays sharp, doesn't rust, easy to re-sharpen, and easy to clean. Cuts stuff and spreads peanut butter. Scales and cleans trout. I've split wood by baton'ing it. I've done lots of other stuff you probably shouldn't do with a knife and haven't broken one yet. Lightweight, easy to store and carry. There's not much to dislike about it.

The best part is they're cheap and I can get them in a blister pack at the local grocery store.That looks great. I wonder how much of a tang is in the handle. Are you able to pry with it some. Not looking for it to cut an oak tree in half or anything, but I like the idea of a small fixed blade and I like the sheath. Nice knife. Wooden handle would be more aesthetic, but a simple functional knife at a cheap price is very aesthetric also. Also more hygenic, one could argue. ;)
:)

Hoop
01-25-2009, 11:47

Bought one of those at a grocery store last year. Attached pieces of adhesive-backed velcro to the sheath & handle to secure them together while walking. Very light, sharp, cheap.

Nest
01-25-2009, 16:24
They weren't hunting you. They were target shooting. All you had to do was yell , and they would have known you were there. Come charging with a knife and you might actually get shot.

Actually at the moment i was unaware of their intentions. When you are walking in the woods and you hear a gunshot, bullet crack, and feel your hair get grazed the last thing you do is ask then if they meant to hit you. Since I dropped the second I felt the bullet go through my hair I knew they would think they hit me if they were trying to. The last thing I wanted to do was yell at them and inform them that they need to keep trying to hit me. No, the correct thing to do was to treat it as an attack until proven otherwise.

Also, I didn't charge them but you would know that if you didn't have some Rambo image in your head. I circled around them and stalked them from behind until I got see them. Once I saw they weren't a threat I pulled back and ran to a road. Went to the first house and called 911. They never knew I was there. Even if they were target shooting I felt it would be best to let the authorities approach them and right the situation.

Again, just an example of where a good size knife was porribly necessary on the trail

take-a-knee
01-25-2009, 16:29
Actually at the moment i was unaware of their intentions. When you are walking in the woods and you hear a gunshot, bullet crack, and feel your hair get grazed the last thing you do is ask then if they meant to hit you. Since I dropped the second I felt the bullet go through my hair I knew they would think they hit me if they were trying to. The last thing I wanted to do was yell at them and inform them that they need to keep trying to hit me. No, the correct thing to do was to treat it as an attack until proven otherwise.

Also, I didn't charge them but you would know that if you didn't have some Rambo image in your head. I circled around them and stalked them from behind until I got see them. Once I saw they weren't a threat I pulled back and ran to a road. Went to the first house and called 911. They never knew I was there. Even if they were target shooting I felt it would be best to let the authorities approach them and right the situation.

Again, just an example of where a good size knife was porribly necessary on the trail

Nest, I differ with your description of those mopes as "target shooters", I'm a target shooter, and I have the good sense to insure that I have a safe backstop for the bullets I launch. Those guys were/are unmitigated jackasses.

Dances with Mice
01-25-2009, 18:30
That looks great. I wonder how much of a tang is in the handle. Are you able to pry with it some. My magnet says it goes at least 2" into the handle, maybe more but the magnet method isn't all that precise. I have to fly to Wisconsin next week, I could sacrifice one and ask the Homeland Security baggage x-ray guy to check. OK, maybe that's not such a good idea...

I just brought the one from the garden inside because of this thread. It's been hanging outside in the weather at least two years. There was a small brown spot that looked like rust up near the handle. But it came off with a fingernail scrape so it was more probably a stain from the last time I used it to harvest an eggplant or something.

I've used it to pry construction staples out of wood. And like all knives it also functions as a flat tip screwdriver on occasion.

The sheath fits really tight. As you buy it from the store the sheath doesn't drain so it's hard to clean. But a few seconds with a drill and it now drains quite well from a hole near the tip.

StubbleJumper
01-25-2009, 21:05
If you seriously bought into the argument that, "It's worth taking on a little extra weight cause you never know whether you'll need it on the 1,001st hike" you would need about a 200 liter pack. Applying that argument to my experience, I should probably hike in shoes with 3 inch thick rubber soles just in case I should get caught out in an electrical storm. Those 3 inch thick rubber soles probably only weigh a couple pounds each, but on that 1,001st hike, they'll prove to be a life saver when I get struck by lightning. Given my family's history with heart disease, I should probably also carry a cardiac defibrillator just in case I keel over from a heart attack on my 1,001st hike....they only weigh 20 pounds or so and perhaps some passerby will be able to get my heart going again.

It is possible to invent any number of scenarios where a particular gear could save your bacon. However, some of these scenarios are very remote, and may not merit preventative measures.

I normally carry a small pocketknife, and that does the trick for me. It cuts the things that need cutting. It doesn't weigh much. It doesn't cost much.

I recognize that I'm toast if I should happen to encounter a deranged murderer or if the skies should suddenly open with torrential freezing rain and I am unable to get my hammock set up. I happily take that risk. IMO, those risks are infinitesimal compared to the risk that I incur from driving a car to the trail head (injuries and deaths from auto accidents are a leading cause of death for my age group).

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 21:46
If you seriously bought into the argument that, "It's worth taking on a little extra weight cause you never know whether you'll need it on the 1,001st hike" you would need about a 200 liter pack. Applying that argument to my experience, I should probably hike in shoes with 3 inch thick rubber soles just in case I should get caught out in an electrical storm. Those 3 inch thick rubber soles probably only weigh a couple pounds each, but on that 1,001st hike, they'll prove to be a life saver when I get struck by lightning. Given my family's history with heart disease, I should probably also carry a cardiac defibrillator just in case I keel over from a heart attack on my 1,001st hike....they only weigh 20 pounds or so and perhaps some passerby will be able to get my heart going again.

It is possible to invent any number of scenarios where a particular gear could save your bacon. However, some of these scenarios are very remote, and may not merit preventative measures.

I normally carry a small pocketknife, and that does the trick for me. It cuts the things that need cutting. It doesn't weigh much. It doesn't cost much.

I recognize that I'm toast if I should happen to encounter a deranged murderer or if the skies should suddenly open with torrential freezing rain and I am unable to get my hammock set up. I happily take that risk. IMO, those risks are infinitesimal compared to the risk that I incur from driving a car to the trail head (injuries and deaths from auto accidents are a leading cause of death for my age group).

Very thoughtful insight sir. Thanks you for your contribution to the thread!

I meant for this to be a thought provoking , experience sharing, HELPFUL thread on an issue where people can save a lot of weight and or carefully choose a weight saving compromise that fits into their personal hiking style. Thanks to those who have actually ADDED SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE to the discussion, whichever side of the coin you come out on.

Oh and keep your closed minded images of special needs children to yourself.:mad:

Desert Reprobate
01-25-2009, 22:46
Runsalone, Your presentation was interesting and well presented. You've provided the information for someone to make an informed decision about what kind of knife to carry. I'll be carrying my S&W lockback that I have had in my pocket for years. It is a bit heaver than the ones you were presenting but I am used to it and would feel naked without it in my pocket. Thanks

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 22:51
Runsalone, Your presentation was interesting and well presented. You've provided the information for someone to make an informed decision about what kind of knife to carry. I'll be carrying my S&W lockback that I have had in my pocket for years. It is a bit heaver than the ones you were presenting but I am used to it and would feel naked without it in my pocket. Thanks

I know the feeling! Thats the sole reason I carried my Spyderco Delica. Just so used to having it there in my pocket convienently waiting to tend to whatever task comes up.

Tragically, I lost it at the shelter after Albert mountain in N.C. Really sucked!:(

Runsalone
01-25-2009, 22:52

Thank you BTW!! Glad it wasnt too boring.

JAK
01-25-2009, 23:50
Thanks Runsalone and Dances with Mice also.

jaywalke
01-26-2009, 07:42
As I passed Mt Crossings last year, I heard a young guy talking to Mom on the phone, saying he was sending home his two-pound sheath knife. "Even though it's not in the pack", they convinced him the weight actually counts

I met a young guy on the trail a few years ago who, likewise, did not pay attention in physics class. He was firmly convinced that the big sheath knife on his belt "didn't count" because it wasn't in his huge pack.

I came up behind him on the climb up Courthouse Bald, and scared the bejeezus out of him. I think his heart was pounding so loud in his ears that he couldn't hear me coming.

Painful experience is a great teacher. :-]

For the record, I carry a Wenger Teton SAK (old model with a locking main blade - 2.4 oz. including the string that ties it to a belt loop) when going heavy and a tiny Classic SAK (.6 oz.) the rest of the time. The scissors get more use than any other tool.

mtnkngxt
01-26-2009, 08:35
I carry either a Victornox Soldier or a Mora fixed blade. People have been killed on the AT, and as we can see from Meredith Emmerson and the rest of those taken from this world on the trails bad things do happen to good people.

I'll carry my knife and use it 99percent of the time to cut my apple or open my mail, but if I ever need a knife I atleast have one.

Following some of your trails of though you shouldnt carry a space blanket or bandaids or antibiotic cream or duct tape or a cell phone or sunscreen or bug dope or anything but your pack tent sleeping bag and a pair of shoes and pants. That should get you all the way to Maine with a steady supply of Little Debbie snacks and some twinkies and snickers.

Oh and keep your closed minded images of special needs children to yourself.:mad:

Runsalone
01-26-2009, 09:29
I carry either a Victornox Soldier or a Mora fixed blade. People have been killed on the AT, and as we can see from Meredith Emmerson and the rest of those taken from this world on the trails bad things do happen to good people.

I'll carry my knife and use it 99percent of the time to cut my apple or open my mail, but if I ever need a knife I atleast have one.

Following some of your trails of though you shouldnt carry a space blanket or bandaids or antibiotic cream or duct tape or a cell phone or sunscreen or bug dope or anything but your pack tent sleeping bag and a pair of shoes and pants. That should get you all the way to Maine with a steady supply of Little Debbie snacks and some twinkies and snickers.

No offense intended;) My point was lets keep it on topic. And that comment had a specific target audience.

Thank you for contributing. BTW of that stuff you mentioned I only carry cell phone and duct tape, Maybe in the height of bug season Ill go for for deet. The rest I can make do with stuff I have already. Add some ramen in that food list and Im all set!!:D

TrippinBTM
01-26-2009, 10:19
I carried a pretty heavy knife on my thru. I don't like the idea of going into the woods without a good blade; it's just too damn useful a tool when you need it, even if I pretty much just used it to cut cheese...

TrippinBTM
01-26-2009, 10:32
I finally realized why people are advocating bringing a "real" knife:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

I only ask that those who carry a real knife speak with a charming Aussie accent as well when speaking about their knives! :D

Wow. When I was a kid I never realized how cheezy that movie is.

"I'm always alright when I'm with you, Dundee..."

Just terrible.

Dogwood
01-26-2009, 10:59
K.I.S.S. Never did understand the Rambo me macho man me kill my dinner type knives for an AT thru-hike. Also, have a hard time justifying a multi tool type knife with 3 different screw drivers, corkscrew, etc, etc, etc. I suppose if U R lugging a bottle of 59 Dom Perrignon, Chateaeux Lafitte, and building a radio while thru-hiking over Max Patch makes sense???

mtnkngxt
01-26-2009, 12:34
:eek: How did you find out about my radio dogwood? Jersey Devil always snitches on me. Seriously though I think we can all agree that the ability to cut line, pull splinters, and cut an apple or a fiesty bag of tunafish foil pack can be a neccessity for an AT hike. No a Kabar would hardly be a neccessary knife for hiking the AT. Some may choose to carry it, most will not. I can't cut an apple with a swiss army knife, so I carry the soldier because it has exactly what I need one blade, one tweezer, one toothpick and I like to have a reamer in case I need to fix or repair a pack. (I have had seems and such go out on my packs.) This weighs in at a little over 2 ounces. Then I carry a small 3 1/2 inch Mora fixed blade. It serves the purpose of apple skewer, orange slicer, bagel hacker, and so on. I like it, its sharp, but small enough not to spark fear in the heart of sheeple dayhikers. I do not carry it outside of my pack or on me, it stays in my Food bag.

However on backcountry Canoe trips I would look for a completely different set of features in a knife. HYOH but don't scare the sheeple.

Oh and respectively don't care who your "target audience" was have a family member who is special needs and that kind of nonsense has no place on this board or in the world. If you feel the need to further discuss it please send me a pm, lets not clutter up this thread on knives.

Gumbi
01-26-2009, 13:42
Scaring sheeple is so much fun, though!!!!!

mtnkngxt
01-26-2009, 13:58
Only the ones that stay in shelters

StubbleJumper
01-26-2009, 21:06

I meant for this to be a thought provoking , experience sharing, HELPFUL thread on an issue where people can save a lot of weight and or carefully choose a weight saving compromise that fits into their personal hiking style. Thanks to those who have actually ADDED SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE to the discussion, whichever side of the coin you come out on.

Wow! What a response!

You asked for a weight saving compromise, and I provided one to you. In essence, I equip myself for the entire range of conditions that I may reasonably expect to encounter, plus I add a margin of error. When choosing a knife, taking on a bunch of extra weight to mitigate the risk of extremely improbable situations probably is not advisable. With this in mind, I choose a Swiss Army pocket knife that cuts well, is light, and inexpensive.

Same deal with any other equipment. If you fill your pack with a bunch of heavy gear that you are highly unlikely to ever benefit from, I don't think you're doing yourself any favors....and I make no apologies for bluntly stating this fact.

Please mind your language. :banana

Runsalone
01-26-2009, 22:00
Wow! What a response!

You asked for a weight saving compromise, and I provided one to you. In essence, I equip myself for the entire range of conditions that I may reasonably expect to encounter, plus I add a margin of error. When choosing a knife, taking on a bunch of extra weight to mitigate the risk of extremely improbable situations probably is not advisable. With this in mind, I choose a Swiss Army pocket knife that cuts well, is light, and inexpensive.

Same deal with any other equipment. If you fill your pack with a bunch of heavy gear that you are highly unlikely to ever benefit from, I don't think you're doing yourself any favors....and I make no apologies for bluntly stating this fact.

Please mind your language. :banana

That post your responding to is not mine as I wrote it! A moderator erased some of my response that was aimed at what I thought to be several ridiculous statement above yours, and inserted words from SOMEONE ELSES POST where my words were. I feel this is unfair and now has caused you to misunderstand me as responding negatively to your post.

I actually thanked you , rather agree with you and meant to enumerate you amongst those that HAD added something constructive to the thread.

I feel it unfair to ADD WORDS to a post without explaining where they came from, as oppossed to just deleting the offensive portion.

Sorry for the confusion!

Runsalone
01-26-2009, 22:16

These last two paragraphs were intended towards others who were taking the thread to an argumentative immature place.

The last paragraph is not even my words. Frankly Im about burnt out On whiteblaze. Ive been on this site for quite awhile. And lately Ive been trying to positively contribute back to the site for all Ive learned here. I dont understand placing someone elses words in my post. I apologize to those who may have been offended by my post please know it was meant to be a rebuke to others I felt were making a mockery of the topic and of the thread.

With that , Please continue to advise and help each other and share your experiences. Im not sure I belong here, which is the usual case for me anyway. So ill try not to make to much more comotion.

In closing, again, that statement was ,in whole, meant to chide those those I thought were being immature and not meant to offend those to whom it hit a tender spot.

My apologies.

Nest
01-27-2009, 00:19
Ok, this post can still be very helpful. Let's just leave the name calling and immature remarks out of it.

Runsalone, you made a good point about a way to save weight with lighter and more practical knives. Myself and a ocuple others pointed out how sometimes that smaller knife isn't enough. Boths sides are presented, so any reader looking for advise can make their decision.

The one thing that needs to be realized is that most of us promoting a larger knife aren't talking about oversized combat knives or anything. We are just suggesting one or two more ounces for a little larger knife. I carry a Gerber EVO that weighs around 3 oz and has a 3 1/2 inch blade I think. Not very heavy at all, and the blade is long enough to deal with anything from cutting apples to defending myself if the one in a million chance that that need arises again. I also spent a lot of time off trail on side trips to all kinds of random towns, and even to Canada. I was hitchhiking hundreds of miles at a time, and sleeping in alleys on roof tops and walking the streets at night. I had multiple incidences where I was put in a position to defend myself. The shooting incident was the only one on the trail, but on my trip I had 3 or 4 other confrontations with unfriendly people. That being said, most hikers will do just fine with a small knife. There is a big difference in carrying a 3 or 4 ounce knife and carrying all of the ridiculous "worst case scenario" items people are mentioning to show the ridiculousness of carrying a larger knife "just in case".

Just some things to keep in mind in hopes that this thread can actually remain helpful.

Desert Reprobate
01-27-2009, 00:31
Maybe we need a thread on self defense. This thread was about using knives as tools not weapons. Most of the readers wouldn't know how to use one as a weapon. Rambo movies aren't a good way to learn about Close Quarters Combat.

Nest
01-27-2009, 01:02
Maybe we need a thread on self defense. This thread was about using knives as tools not weapons. Most of the readers wouldn't know how to use one as a weapon. Rambo movies aren't a good way to learn about Close Quarters Combat.

Training yourself with Rambo movies will get you killed.:(

I do see where the confusion and frustrations occured now. Because of where I come from and my past experiences on and before the trail, I didn't see a difference in a knife as self defence and a thread about knives as tools. I see my impliments of self defense to be tools, so to me the thread has stayed on topic. Fortunately a lot of people haven't been in situations where they must decide if taking another life in defense of their own is necessary, so I can see how my posts were viewed as off topic.

I think we can still weigh the many uses for knives and what size knife one would feel is necessary for these uses. A tool for defense included. Let's just try to stay civil for once on this website.

Surplusman
04-04-2009, 19:00
I have an old Air Force survival knife that serves me well when I go camping. If I lose it, it's comparatively cheap to replace. But for hiking the AT, my 19 year-old Leatherman does the job.

vamelungeon
04-05-2009, 08:27
I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army knife all of the time, hiking or not and I use it daily for countless tasks. I don't see any reason to change since it works for me very well. The model I carry is the "Huntsman."
http://www.acehardware.com/largeImage/index.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//ACE.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-987486dt.jpg

wnbresn
04-06-2009, 19:37
Got my first knife almost 50 years ago in scouting. It was a surplus Kabar knife from our local army navy store. Back then our scout master believed in only two really needed things in the woods and that was a good fixed blade knife and a flint and steel for easy fire starting. He used to think that anyone who could not at least start a fire without matches or a lighter was some kind of tenderfoot wimp. He was kind of an early survival nut so he treated every day hike as a survival learning experience. For almost 30 years now I've carried a Gerber MK2 in a left draw scout sheath and I always find uses for it. A couple of times that knife has saved my ass. Now as the AT is hiked these days do you really need a big knife? Probably not. When I first hiked the sections here in CT in the early 70's the object was to get away for a few weeks and not make quick 3 day dashes between towns. Big knives and even hatchets were used to make real cooking fires sometimes. But now with many of the hikers just doing quick dashes between towns from shelter to shelter probably no knife is really needed. But for me yeah I'll carry mine just for that just in case time. Call it superstition or something....

Homer&Marje
04-07-2009, 06:09
Just got this and think it would be a welcome addition to any thru hikers pack. Although it's heavier than my larger fixed blade knife, the steel is better, it's got a non slip handle (made for winter climbing) and can be opened even with the thickest of mittens on. Very durable, my new favorite. Don't think it will replace my buck knife, haven't decided.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32494&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=17846&cutoffdate=-1

Turtlehiker
04-07-2009, 17:06
Eventually I will replace my small opinel folding/locking knife with a small fixed blade. Something like that one above is exactly what I have in mind, but I think I will go with one of these ones I see one in a store, because they are made here in the Maritimes.

This one maybe...
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

There is a really nice looking knife on the bottom of this page.
The handle is made of a traditional material called Oosik, from a Walrus.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/unusual.html

One of the advantages of going light, or ultralight, is you have room for something special even if its a bit heavy. Similarly I guess, if you are a minimalist and like to carry as few things as possible, the special items you do carry might be more meaningful.

Am I the only one who noticed that JAK wants a knife made out of a petrified Walrus penis bone?

Engine
04-07-2009, 17:16
I like my little Gerber LST at about 1" and 0.6 ounces. A bad guy would be rotfl if I pulled it in self defense, and while he was down I'd just hike quickly away.

TrippinBTM
04-07-2009, 20:58
I just noticed JAK said something about an Opinel knife. I just found one of those in my basement. It's awesome, so light (2 oz, about a third the weight of the knife I thruhiked with), but still with a decent blade size (3 1/4 inches). Plus, I found out it's a very classic design, which is cool. It is now my "new" knife for all backpacking adventures.

SunnyWalker
04-11-2009, 22:36
Man, I bring a machete.

Alaskanhkr23
04-11-2009, 22:52
i have a $150,british SAS survival knife,its sharp,only use it in case of emergency,not to butter my bread,but yeah when i come of the trail im not carrying it anywhere,never get picked up

man2th
04-11-2009, 23:16
cold steel K4 neck knife...3.7 oz with sheath and lanyard, 4 in fixed blade with full tang. simple, strong, sharp

Wise Old Owl
04-11-2009, 23:35

Knifes, guns, & bears.. OH MY!

Not about you Mags - you just sum it up better than ever...

atrerunner
06-15-2009, 20:21
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4972

JokerJersey
06-15-2009, 22:11
I've always used a partially serrated 4" S&W SWAT folder that I was given in the military. I've carried it for years, it holds an edge well, and it has been able to do everything I've ever wanted to do with it, from quickly cutting a rappell rope that had gotten wrapped around someone's arm to keeping a sharp enough edge to do a bit of carving late at night. No idea how much it weighs, but I clip it onto my pocket every single time I walk out of my house, whether to go to the store or to go on a hike. When it breaks, I'll look for another partially serrated blade. I just like the dual purpose nature of them.

I have larger knives, a ton of them actually, but they aren't needed on the trail. Knife fighting is something one should never try unless its a life or death situation and you have no other choice but to use it. A longer stick would serve you better, honestly. I was taught one very good lesson about knife fighting from my instructors in the military. If you plan on getting into a knife fight, know this...you are going to get cut. If you are afraid of being cut, don't pull a knife. Simple as that. Most of what we were taught about knife fighting was how and where to get cut to minimize the damage.

Good discussion though. Some people I feel go way overkill and I'm sure some people would think mine is overkill, but I'm happy with it. Frankly, as long as I don't have to carry it and you aren't waving it in my face...carry whatever you want, IMO.

Panzer1
06-16-2009, 00:02
Just got this and think it would be a welcome addition to any thru hikers pack. Although it's heavier than my larger fixed blade knife, the steel is better, it's got a non slip handle (made for winter climbing) and can be opened even with the thickest of mittens on. Very durable, my new favorite. Don't think it will replace my buck knife, haven't decided.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32494&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=17846&cutoffdate=-1

I realize that the saw edge on these knives does not have to sharpened very often but my only problem is how do you sharpen it the saw edge?

Panzer

Homer&Marje
06-16-2009, 05:20
I realize that the saw edge on these knives does not have to sharpened very often but my only problem is how do you sharpen it the saw edge?

Panzer

You can use an 1/8" circle file with a very fine course to it...that's what I use. Although I have not had to sharpen that knife yet....very good knife that was given to me.

I "made" my own saw blade on the back of my buck knife....when sold it only had grooves in the back in the shape of a u like...this...

----------u-u-u-u-u etc.

I made it like this with a steel file and a lot of elbow grease.

----------vvvvvvvvvvvv

Homer&Marje
06-16-2009, 05:23
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4972

Obviously I am a knife enthusiast and a bit of a collector. This will just go the way of gun conversations however....but I think this law is BS. But anyone who has been robbed at knife point with a switch blade probably agree with it.....A lot of my knives are fixed blade, dont have any switch...1 butterfly but that never leaves the house and if you can get my new knife to open with gravity and inertia your better at it than I.....it's a tight lock.

m6amba
06-16-2009, 06:38
I carried a pretty heavy knife on my thru. I don't like the idea of going into the woods without a good blade; it's just too damn useful a tool when you need it, even if I pretty much just used it to cut cheese...

i can save even more weight than you...i can "cut the cheese" without a knife of any kind!:jump:D

but seriously, i have a folding lockback of some sort in my pocket at all times. for years i carried a buck odyssey, which has been replaced with a CRKT m16-13z, for day to day use, which weighs just under 3oz
sometimes i carry a kershaw skyline (1760), which weighs just over 2oz
those are my 2 favorites, but i have 6-7 i rotate through, and i love them all. (including a buck 327, micra, gerber fairbairn covert 2, kershaw leek, a CRKT m16-10z, as well as a few more)
for me, carrying a knife while backpacking is the same as carrying one everyday, its just part of life, i even have one in my sweatpants pocket when im at home, i dont think i have gone a day without carrying one, since i was 14-15 ( i was homeschooled, so no issues with that) but i find all kinds of uses for a good sharp knife, could be slicing fruit/meat, spreading PB&J, cutting cord/bailer twine ( live on a farm) digging out splinters, opening mail, have shaved on trail with my knife, lol

basically i think knives, like almost all gear, is pretty much up to each person, what works for one, will not work for another, to the OP, thanks for an entertaining/informative post on some choices we have!:clap

if you carry one, great, tell us what kind, and some uses you have found for it.
if you dont carry one, great, dont tell us what kind it is, and what you dont do with it.:cool:

m6amba
06-16-2009, 06:46
Am I the only one who noticed that JAK wants a knife made out of a petrified Walrus penis bone?

i did notice that, but i saw it was JAK, so i didnt get too worried!;)

id rather not hold a penis in my hand everytime i want to use a knife....sorry JAK.....your on your own in that one

Nasty Dog Virus
06-16-2009, 06:54
I keep a mini knife clipped on my pack. Only weighs 1.4 oz. Good product for the $$$

http://www.rei.com/product/766398

thunderson
06-16-2009, 07:36
I use an Opinel as well. They're great knives for a cheap price and they take an edge really well. So well in fact that even my hamfisted attempts to sharpen result in a good edge and hardly any trauma.:D

JAK
06-16-2009, 09:15
I use an Opinel also.

If I even do make my own fixed blade knife I think I would make the handle out of some common local wood from the trail, not sure which. Same as my hiking staff maybe. It is just some soft maple, but I might tray eastern white cedar, or mountain ash, or maybe even pin cherry or choke cherry. Not sure.

If I hunted walrus, which I don't, I wouldn't hesitate to use a walrus oosik. Seems like a very good material to use for a knife handle. I think we should try to keep in touch with nature and use natural materials where ever we can, as long as we do it sustainably.

More on Baculum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculum

JAK
06-16-2009, 09:16
ODE TO AN OOSIK

Strange things have been done in the Midnight Sun,
and the story books are full---
But the strangest tale concerns the male,
magnificent walrus bull!

I know it's rude, quite common and crude,
Perhaps it is grossly unkind;
But with first glance at least, this bewhiskered beast,
is as ugly in front as behind.

Look once again, take a second look -- then
you'll see he's not ugly or vile --
There's a hint of a grin, in that blubbery chin --
and the eyes have a shy secret smile.

How can this be, this clandestine glee
that exudes from the walrus like music?
He knows, there inside, beneath blubber and hide
lies a splendid contrivance -- the Oosik!

"Oosik" you say -- and quite well you may,
I'll explain if you keep it between us;
In the simplest truth, though rather uncouth
"Oosik" is, in fact, his penis!

Now the size alone of this walrus bone,
would indeed arouse envious thinking --
It is also a fact, documented and backed,
There is never a softening or shrinking!

This, then, is why the smile is so sly,
the walrus is rightfully proud.
Though the climate is frigid, the walrus is rigid,
Pray, why, is not man so endowed?

Added to this, is a smile you might miss ---
Though the bull is entitled to bow --
The one to out-smile our bull by a mile
is the satisfied walrus cow!

(Anonymous)

Panzer1
06-16-2009, 12:31
You can use an 1/8" circle file with a very fine course to it...that's what I use. Although I have not had to sharpen that knife yet....very good knife that was given to me.

Do you have to have a different size circle file to match the different size notches in the saw blade?

Panzer

Homer&Marje
06-16-2009, 17:20
Do you have to have a different size circle file to match the different size notches in the saw blade?

Panzer

They sell ones that are tapered I believe and double ended ones......I have only had one other knife that needed those sharpened and they were all the same size....so I couldn't tell you right now honestly.

Ranc0r
06-16-2009, 19:50
I've carried a Spyderco Delica everyday for more years that I can remember, and a Swiss Army Climber for as many before that. There was a time that the 2 1/4 " blade was Delta airline legal. Semi serrated or straight, same same. My Delica is a nudge under 3 oz., my swiss army is a nudge over 3 oz, and my Leatherman SkeleTool is about 3 3/4 oz. I just cannot imagine leaving the house without one clipped up front. And it was once a point of honor and recognition to have one on each front pocket.

Homer&Marje
06-17-2009, 05:16
Now it's a point of arrest when they find nail clippers in your pocket at the security check point.....Did see a woman get randomly searched while almost on the plane...the wife got pulled out and searched too.....the other woman had an 8" steak knife in her purse!!!! How did she get that far into the airport!

njordan2
07-15-2009, 20:18
Ka Bar with a 7" blade!