PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partner?

River11
01-22-2009, 23:51
I have been looking forward to hiking the AT since I was ten, but now that it is coming down to gear checks and food lists i am realizing that I do not want to hike this trail alone. I am an able hiker and have been in the woods since i was little - giving me confidence in my survival skills, but still I want to find a person who is committed to hiking as a team... someone who will wait in town while blisters heal. I am just trying to reach out and find some people who are also interested in this kind of hike...:sun

karoberts
01-23-2009, 00:00
If you thru-hike, they will come.

Cool AT Breeze
01-23-2009, 01:03
You will endup with more true friends than you have at home.

Smile
01-23-2009, 01:40
You'll meet someone to hike with out there, lots of great people on trail!

randyg45
01-23-2009, 16:47
Have you called Stephen Katz?

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2009, 17:01
River:

Be aware that unless you're in a committed relationship with someone, or hiking with a family member, most "trail partnerships" don't last, i.e. most folks who start the Trail together don't finish together. Either they finish separately; or one finishes and one doesn't; or they decide to hike independently and neither of them finishes. This holds true whether or not its good friends; childhood friends; college roomates; army buddies; you name it. Very few partnerships endure.

It ESPECIALLY holds true for strangers who meet on Day One or on the Internet.

There are two main reasons for this: First off, it's a question of pacing. It's rare to find someone who wants to hike on EXACTLY the same schedule as you. In most cases, there's a speedy guy and a slower guy, and one of two things happens: The speedy guy goes nuts because he's spending half the day sitting on a rock or a log or wherever waiting for Joe SlowPoke to show up, and eventually, he gets resentful cuz the waiting and wondering when the partner is gonna arrive starts driving him nuts. Conversely, Joe Slowpoke realizes he's becoming a drag on the expedition and forces himself to go further or faster than he should, in order to keep up with his faster partner. He burns himself out in short order and either falls behind or goes home. You CAN'T hike for long at someone else's pace.

The other problem is spending too much time with one's hiking partner. Frequently, partners end up driving eash other absolutely nuts and need time apart. Ever go on a long car trip with your best friend and you were ready to killl him on day three, because of fights over the radio station, too many pit stops, incessant talking, too much complaining, whatever? Well what do you think 179 days with one guy is gonna be like? It'll make the worst car trip you ever took in your life look like a dream vacation.

In short, don't sweat the "partner" thing. Start by yourself, you'll be fine. If you leave Springer anytime between 1 March and 10 April (and especially if you leave between 15 March and 5 April) you'll have plenty of company, maybe even too much. You'll meet all sorts of great folks, and will make many friends. When you find folks you like, who also are happy to hike at your own pace, well, then it's "Instant trail partner".

The best Trail companions are the ones you find accidentally. Don't worry about finding a partner ahead of time. In all likelihood, even if you did find this person, the partnership wouldn't last. Instead, be confident; start by yourself; be friendly and open-minded; be a better listeneer than a talker.

You'll make friends very quickly out there, and if you want, you'll find plenty of folks to hike with.

Good luck!

KG4FAM
01-23-2009, 17:32
... I want to find a person who is committed...what you are talking about is a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Mud__Bone
03-20-2009, 14:06
Jack Tarlin (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=227) , that is great info of observations. thanks for sharing bro. Peace :sun

Many Walks
03-20-2009, 14:22
My guess is River11 understands and agrees with everything that been said here, except maybe calling Stephen Katz. That might be why she's trying to get in touch with people who think and hike the same say to develop a team that will start and end together sharing the trials and tribulations along the way. The group approach to HYOH. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wish you the best!

Alaskanhkr23
04-07-2009, 21:53
Is HIking alone smart to do?

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2009, 22:01

Duh you are never really alone on the AT...

johnnybgood
04-07-2009, 22:17
If you're on the AT this summer you won't be alone.

Ever consider bringing mans' best friend as a companion ?

No ! No ! , not a 2 legged friend....one with 4 legs.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-07-2011, 08:32

I ALWAYS solo hike for several reasons.....don't have to adjust my pace or expect someone to adjust ...don't hear no whining...can go by my schedule etc.. PLUS I believe accidents and injuries are more likely to happen when you're hiking with someone....think about it... you're talking ..not paying that much attention to what you're doing, slipping and falling around and carrying on..when you're soloing you know subconciously that you're totally on your own and can't afford accidents and injuries so you watch what you're doing... an example...once when coming off Mt. Mitchell in NC (6 miles to some public campground where my truck was parked near Celo, NC) and the trail was pretty much solid ice and I had no crampons at that time I made it for about 3 miles without a single fall....Then I came upon some dude from Chicago and was walking down with him talking and carrying on and it seemed like every 10 minutes I was picking myself off of the ice. I had bruises all over me by the time I got to my truck. Had been on that icy mountain for 3 days without a bruise until I had a walking partner.

Smile
01-07-2011, 11:25
River11, although yes, you will meet people out there. I also understand where you're coming from. It's a challenge, but I hope you find someone that will fit in with what you're looking for. There's safety as well that someone knows where you are in general, or if you don't show up at night at a shelter when you were just a mile behind them at lunch.

So many people like to solo hike, but there are also those who don't. I like both, depends on many factors....time of year, section hiking, compatibility between hiking buddies, etc.

It's not foolish to try to find someone, nor to think you can stay together. People finish together all the time!

There's also something to be said for helping someone else when you don't feel like it - and being encouraged when you don't feel great or are having a cruddy day. Most activities where you have a partner or buddy tend to be more successful in many ways. But like any relationship, expect bumps and misunderstanding, and hopefully you'll both be mature enough to move on and over any disagreements which always builds character. :)

HiKen2011
01-07-2011, 11:30
River11, although yes, you will meet people out there. I also understand where you're coming from. It's a challenge, but I hope you find someone that will fit in with what you're looking for. There's safety as well that someone knows where you are in general, or if you don't show up at night at a shelter when you were just a mile behind them at lunch.

So many people like to solo hike, but there are also those who don't. I like both, depends on many factors....time of year, section hiking, compatibility between hiking buddies, etc.

It's not foolish to try to find someone, nor to think you can stay together. People finish together all the time!

There's also something to be said for helping someone else when you don't feel like it - and being encouraged when you don't feel great or are having a cruddy day. Most activities where you have a partner or buddy tend to be more successful in many ways. But like any relationship, expect bumps and misunderstanding, and hopefully you'll both be mature enough to move on and over any disagreements which always builds character. :)

The OP hasn't logged on since 1-30-09, guess he found someone.;)

Smile
01-07-2011, 11:32
hey, thanks for pointing that out! ;)

HiKen2011
01-07-2011, 11:42
hey, thanks for pointing that out! ;)

You bet, and he ended up being a she, wonder if she took her hike, oh well.........:-?

clowd
08-09-2011, 08:03
like you i have been bitten by the walk the AT bug at an early age...making that about 39 yrs now...spring of 2012 seems to be the time that will work for me...i too have lived close to the land...and have read and experienced different uses for my survival skills...lets chat to see about possibilies...

lemon b
08-09-2011, 08:17
My experience is that going solo is necessary because of pace. Get to meet alot of nice people when my day ends.