PDA

View Full Version : Long Underwear

Hne913
01-23-2009, 10:59
I apologize if this is a retread...it's hard to read everything on this site!

:confused:

I want to know if anyone has tried the ICEBREAKER long johns (pants), or the EMS ones and if they have any reviews on them. I was looking at getting SMARTWOOL, but i'm still in limbo - so I guess let's compare all three.

What I have are the UnderArmor long john pants (I think mid or heavy weight) and the REI (light weight) ones.

I went on a three day hike..and in three days:

-the UnderArmor ones have elastic around the cuffs. I slept in them and by the time I woke up every morning I had painful rings around my ankles.

-the REI ones I wore for hiking and the elastic around the waistband cut into my waist. Not comfortable when you're backpacking.

I need these for my thru hike so any suggestions on them before I go spending $80 on a pair would be great! Thanks!

Kanati
01-23-2009, 11:11
I apologize if this is a retread...it's hard to read everything on this site!

:confused:

I want to know if anyone has tried the ICEBREAKER long johns (pants), or the EMS ones and if they have any reviews on them. I was looking at getting SMARTWOOL, but i'm still in limbo - so I guess let's compare all three.

What I have are the UnderArmor long john pants (I think mid or heavy weight) and the REI (light weight) ones.

I went on a three day hike..and in three days:

-the UnderArmor ones have elastic around the cuffs. I slept in them and by the time I woke up every morning I had painful rings around my ankles.

-the REI ones I wore for hiking and the elastic around the waistband cut into my waist. Not comfortable when you're backpacking.

I need these for my thru hike so any suggestions on them before I go spending $80 on a pair would be great! Thanks!

You didn't say when your starting date is but I don't think you will need any medium/heavy weight long johns, unless you are going to use them to supplement and medium weight sleeping bag. For hiking, in March the light weight, or silk weight as it is know is all you will need. If the wind is blowing, put on a light weight rain/wind suit. And you will stay comfortable, or even get too hot as it prevents body heat from escaping.

I carried the lightest weight polypro long john suit, primarily for sleeping. Also used these and some mid-weight socks in lieu of a sleeping bag liner. I just threw them in the wash ever few days.

Happy hiking. :sun

skinewmexico
01-23-2009, 11:25
I've had great luck with the cheap ones from Kenyon on STP.

Del Q
01-23-2009, 11:30
IceBreaker ROCKS!

Yes, they are not "expedition" weight (when super cold I also wear thin silk long-johns), no smell, keep me warm, comfortable. Love their "tee" shirts too. Merino wool is my new favorite, oldie & and goodie. Hiked last weekend in 18 degrees, were fine.

Tipi Walter
01-23-2009, 11:37
For years all I used were the standard polypro/capilene bottoms in varying thicknesses. Later I got a pair of Smartwool merino bottoms and found them to be comfy and great. Still later I upgraded to a pair of Icebreaker merino bottoms(the thickest ones they make)and gotta say they are even a step above the Smartwool. I looked at Prolitegear.com today and found them on sale for $88 OUCH--can't remember how much I paid for mine.

Alot of bottoms when worn as "pants" under shorts get ripped and worn quickly but not the Icebreakers. They are not made to serve as pants but work well under shorts on the trail.

Hne913
01-23-2009, 11:42
You didn't say when your starting date is

Sorry - my start date is (hopefully) the 15th of March... :)

Pickleodeon
01-23-2009, 11:54
I have the underarmor pants and they do the same thing!! Why would they make the elastic so tight at the ankle?? Maybe it can be cut.

I also have a pair of capillene 3 pants from Patagonia. on sale for less than $20 on Steepandcheap.com. I plan on taking these with me in March.

tiptoe
01-23-2009, 12:35
I've had great luck with all kinds of long underwear from Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/). You can get some great bargains there.

Wags
01-23-2009, 12:47
the under armour pants are tight at the ankles b/c they were/are created for athletes to wear while playing sports (specifically football) and need to stay put. i dont' think sleeping in them comes into their design

Red Hat
01-23-2009, 13:44
I love my smartwool, but I haven't tried Icebreakers. Bought my smartwools on steepandcheap. Guess that's why I haven't tried the others, I'm too cheap!

Mercy
01-23-2009, 14:19
I have Smartwool and Icebreaker tops. Of the two, I like the Icebreaker better. I have Smartwool bottoms, and they are fine.

I'm a big fan of merino wool.

Blissful
01-23-2009, 16:04
I've used silk underwear as an insulating layer as it weighs nothng and brought along polartec mid weight tights and top for camp and sleep (this is spring and fall hiking). Merino is fine for me to hike in but it does itch a little on me, so I prefer not to have that at night.

Hne913
01-23-2009, 16:14
I've used silk underwear as an insulating layer as it weighs nothing

Do you find it keeps you warm - but not too warm? :-?

Tipi Walter
01-23-2009, 17:27
There's the whole question of whether silk is the same or better than merino. Last year I wanted to upgrade my midlayers(tops and bottoms)and decided to try some heavyweight silk tops(Wintersilk catalog)and got a few and used them on several 3-season backpacking trips, saving my merinos for the winter.

You gotta love the feel of silk and the way it wears when hiking, but the verdict's still out on silk versus merino. Any real-world comparisons on the subject?

fehchet
01-23-2009, 18:34
You can't go wrong with the mid weight Icebreaker, Smartwool, Ibex, or Minus 33. I have found that they all hold up very well. Mine are in and out of the washer/dryer constantly.
Wash in cold water and dry on wool or low heat setting. I use Woolite but in a trail town you do what you do.

Smile
01-23-2009, 18:47
Icebreaker's rock :)

River Runner
01-24-2009, 02:12
I love my Icebreaker. The 200 weight long john is a good weight - not too hot to hike in when it's cold, and nice to sleep in. They are by far my favorites - better than Capilene which reeks to high heaven after a day or so, and seem higher quality to me than Smartwool.

Marta
01-24-2009, 07:29
So far I've been too cheap to try either Smartwool or Icebreaker. I bought a set of DuoFold merino wool tops and bottoms from Campmor, and have been using them for several years. This past week, when we had a cold snap, I wore them to work under my dress clothes.

shoeguy
01-24-2009, 09:36
I love SmartWool socks, they are so comfortable
This is the last pair I bought <a href="http://www.shoepeddlers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_257_259&products_id=2408">Smartwool Adrenaline Light Crew
</a>

For years all I used were the standard polypro/capilene bottoms in varying thicknesses. Later I got a pair of Smartwool merino bottoms and found them to be comfy and great. Still later I upgraded to a pair of Icebreaker merino bottoms(the thickest ones they make)and gotta say they are even a step above the Smartwool. I looked at Prolitegear.com today and found them on sale for $88 OUCH--can't remember how much I paid for mine.

Alot of bottoms when worn as "pants" under shorts get ripped and worn quickly but not the Icebreakers. They are not made to serve as pants but work well under shorts on the trail.

Tipi Walter
01-24-2009, 10:51
I love SmartWool socks, they are so comfortable
This is the last pair I bought <a href="http://www.shoepeddlers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_257_259&products_id=2408">Smartwool Adrenaline Light Crew
</a>

All I use for backpacking are Smartwool Mountaineer merinos, I guess the thickest they make. But they're not too thick. In fact, I just ordered four more pair from Campmor-on sale-at around $15 each, usually $20.

I've been thru the whole Wigwam-Thorlo craze and have settled on Smartwool.

Tanya
01-25-2009, 15:19
Another vote for Icebreaker. I hiked last summer in Vermont and the Adirondacks. Hiked in their t-shirt; slept and spent chilly mornings in the long johns (midweight, which is actually very light weight). I loved it! this winter I also purchased Icebreaker LS top and panties. I've been running for a month in the panties and definetely prefer them to tech wick undies.
So I'll be taking Icebreaker underwear and base layer on my thru.

happy trails,
t.

Tanya
01-25-2009, 15:22
forgot to add that you can good deals on icebreaker (20-30% off) if you search the net thoroughly. I would not be able to afford it at full price.

Pickleodeon
01-26-2009, 08:42
How about Terramar thermals? They're a lot cheaper and 100% merino wool.

Blissful
01-26-2009, 14:46
The silk for me is a good insulating layer with what I brought in the polartec dept. - top and bottom. but not alone!!! (plus it's...uh rather see through) It weighs nothing for being an extra layer (I sent the pants home though by Hot Springs). I just don't like merino wool to sleep in, etc. it tends to itch on me.

River Runner
01-27-2009, 00:08
Blissful brings up a good point. The cheaper merino generally will be itchier than the more expensive (higher quality) stuff.

River Runner
01-30-2009, 03:38
Icebreaker is on sale until 5 pm 1/30 if any of you ladies are interested - 42% off using the coupon code "kiwi" at checkout at icebreaker.com