PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard from anyone on the AT...

joshua5878
01-23-2009, 11:59
There were a couple people that said they were leaving as early as 01-01.

SGT Rock
01-23-2009, 12:16
I stayed in Hawk Mountan shelter with 4 thru-hikers. Kyak Karl, Bluevist, Swamp Fox and her husband (forgot his trail name). Last weekend I ran into Kayak Karl at the NOC. It looked like he dropped a good deal of crap from his pack.

GMTMinusFive
01-23-2009, 13:27
Swamp Fox is the husband. Rocky is the wife. (I don't know them but have been following their trail journal.) Incidentally, they bailed on the cold weather and plan to start up again in March.

SGT Rock
01-23-2009, 13:29
Oh, my bad. They were nice folks. Seemed to be very experienced at hiking the AT.

GMTMinusFive
01-23-2009, 13:33
Yeah, bad timing, I guess. That was some cold stuff that came through last week. Can't imagine what it was like at elevation.

SGT Rock
01-23-2009, 13:35
Bluevist was hiking the same time I was last year and bailed at Newfound Gap from the weather. I was surprised to see her starting in January again. The old timers over here say this winter is going to be worse than last year. I suspect she may have to do the same thing this year.

Red Hat
01-23-2009, 13:38
Last I heard, Trek was in Hot Springs, Bluevist was headed to Franklin, Kayak Karl was heading into GSMP with temps in the single digits and snow. Rocky and Swamp Fox took a month off. In 2005 Rocky was one of three hikers I was with who kept on going during the blizzard instead of heading back to Fontana. She has a healthy respect for snow in GSMP! Smart to take some time off...

max patch
01-23-2009, 13:41
Yeah, bad timing, I guess.

Nah. More like bad planning.

Start on 1/1 and you are 100% guaranteed 3 things:

Cold weather. Very cold weather.
Cold rain.
Snow.

SGT Rock
01-23-2009, 20:32
I did see Trek on Jan 1, but not since. I just saw on Bluevist's Journal she got off at Winding Stair Gap.

Tin Man
01-23-2009, 20:46
Nah. More like bad planning.

Start on 1/1 and you are 100% guaranteed 3 things:

Cold weather. Very cold weather.
Cold rain.
Snow.

And, if they continue, a whole boatload of blackflies in New England

Rain Man
01-23-2009, 23:08
Rocky and Swamp Fox took a month off. In 2005 Rocky was one of three hikers I was with who kept on going during the blizzard instead of heading back to Fontana. She has a healthy respect for snow in GSMP! Smart to take some time off...

Would this be the Rocky from '05?...
Rocky and Hareball in the GSMNP. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6800&catid=member&imageuser=1293) (snow)
At Davenport Gap. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6879&catid=member&imageuser=1293) (no snow!)

I got to give her and Hareball a ride into Newport to resupply, from Davenport Gap, in April '05, when I completed my "thru" of the GSMNP that week. Very nice ladies!

Rain:sunMan

Marta
01-24-2009, 07:48
Yep, that's the same Rocky.

I think a big part of what happened is that Swamp Fox was sick for several days early on. When I saw him at the Ruck, he appeared to have lost some weight, and seemed very tired. They'll be back in March.

Rockhound
01-24-2009, 09:41
No Name Nobo started Dec 19th and came through SBF a couple weeks ago and Trek, who hikes every year, came through last weekend. You'd think he'd want to hike the PCT or the CDT by now. This is his 7th year hiking the AT. Always starts on Jan 1st and his goal is always to be the first to reach Mt. K. Someone should tell him it's not a race.

Red Hat
01-24-2009, 12:34
Would this be the Rocky from '05?...
Rocky and Hareball in the GSMNP. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6800&catid=member&imageuser=1293) (snow)
At Davenport Gap. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6879&catid=member&imageuser=1293) (no snow!)

I got to give her and Hareball a ride into Newport to resupply, from Davenport Gap, in April '05, when I completed my "thru" of the GSMNP that week. Very nice ladies!

Rain:sunMan

On April 2nd, she, Hareball, and Snowman continued up the trail when we were advised to turn around. Snowman made it to the shelter ahead, but Rocky and Hareball ended up tenting in several feet of snow and spent a very hard night. They hiked to the shelter the next morning where they zeroed. You and I (and everyone else) started back up on the 4th. I remember you pulled some long miles the second day and must have caught up with Rocky and Hareball. Anyway, she met Swampfox later in Damascus and has been hiking with him ever since. Great people and I agree with Marta, no doubt they'll be back. I hope to hike with them for a bit.