PDA

View Full Version : MYO powerbar

Wags
01-23-2009, 12:27
does anyone have any good recipes for making your own powerbars? i like taking them (or variations such as clif) but are so damn expensive and have too much sugar in them.

garlic08
01-23-2009, 12:39
I just carry raisins.

Wags
01-23-2009, 17:18
lol

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2009, 17:31
I never could understand the whole "Power Bar" concept.

Most of the ones on the market are heavy, ridiculously over-priced, and most importantly, tend to taste like mocha-flavored bathmats. Everytime I see someone spend $3.29 on one of these things, I have to laugh.

For around 89 cents, a Snickers Bar will do exactly the same thing. It'll weigh less, cost much less, take up the same space, is available anywhere, has the same calories, and most important, it doesn't taste like a rendered cat.

As to the "supplemental" stuff that one might get in energy or Power Bars, well that's what a multi-vitamin is for. For pennies a day, you'll get exactly (or more) of what's in the high tech bars.

Really, the whole "energy" bar thing is a scam.

Back to the original question: Homemade bars tend to heavy, gluey, missing vitamins and nutrients, and without exception, taste like sawdust.

I'd keep it simple and leave it to the Mars people. Snickers and Milky Ways will get the job done.

Gaiter
01-23-2009, 17:33
variations such as calorie fortified cardboard?

the book lipsmacking backpacking has some good power bar like treats, but some of the stuff is very heavy... don't know how long it would last if you were on a long hike

Lone Wolf
01-23-2009, 17:35
beer and pork rinds is all you'ins need

garlic08
01-23-2009, 17:59
lol

Actually I was serious. I also just don't understand the "bar" fixation, either.

You're right, bars are mostly simple sugars or worse. Have you looked at the ingredient list on a Powerbar? The first (therefore main) ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. At least one other big brand, MetRx, is the same. What's the difference between that and a Snickers?

In my mind, why make, ship and carry a home-made bar that may or may not still be edible when you pick it up, when you can buy as you go and carry the fresh raw ingredients instead: Oats, nuts, dried fruit, dried milk, honey, peanut butter. It's not that hard to sit down, open a bag or jar, and eat something.

hopefulhiker
01-23-2009, 18:05
Homemade Gorp is more flexible.

Wags
01-23-2009, 18:15
1st off i live in hershey, so i don't really need a lecture about the goodness of candy bars :D

2ndly i simply asked for any ideas for recipes anyone had. i didn't ask for a lecture on the food pyramid. i'd have to eat 4 snickers bars to get the protein of a met rx bar or the like. i love this site for info, hate it for all the unsolicited advise

fehchet
01-23-2009, 18:23
I used to make an almond butter or peanut butter (your choice), maple syrup, chocolate, etc. thingie that was so good. I formed them into balls, I recall, and kept them in wax paper. They were so darned good. (had to say it twice) I will research this. My mind is saying the recipe is in the Tassajara bread book. All my recipes and cook books burned so........

garlic08
01-23-2009, 18:41
i love this site for info, hate it for all the unsolicited advise

Yeah, you're right, sorry. I hate it, too, like when the anti-hiking pole people always need to get a dig in. Good luck with finding a recipe.

mudhead
01-23-2009, 18:46
HikingPA-

I will step out on a limb here. I like trying homemade stuff too.

Search "Moose Goo" I tried the no cook version. Wicked. The first bite is kinda dry, but two chews and a little slobber, bang, kick in the transmission. Waaay too nasty to eat at home, probably heavy, but cheap, and boy does it make your feet dance.

I just checked, I did the bullwinkle bars, omitting raisins. Roll it in saran wrap firmly, and tightly. Cut in small pieces. I do like molasses.

Serial 07
01-23-2009, 20:30
beer and pork rinds is all you'ins need

i miss the " 'ins " belt...you'ins, good'ins, young'ins...

anyway...i'm assuming you have are going to be making these bars at home and own a food processor...the food processor is the key...that's what's gonna blend all the stuff together...

i used to make bars all the time for snacks at home...ingredients i used in combinations of whatever i had at the time or whatever flavor i was going for were: cashews, almonds, coconut flakes, vanilla extract, gogi berries, cranberries, raisons, granola, dehydrated apples (fruit), cashew/almond butter, uh...there's a bunch of things you can add for taste...

but the thing you aren't gonna avoid is sugar...dates (or raisons) are the glue that hold everything together...crush some nuts in the processor, then put that into a bowl...next add some dates, your better off if you soaked them for about 6 hours ahead of time...actually, same with the nuts...but begin the blending process of the dates, then add the rest of the ingredients...blend until its a nice thick consistency...place into a square shaped cake mold thing and place in the fridge...they will hard and will be cuttable in a couple of hours...

i was rushed in this so maybe i'll have to edit later...hope this helps...

hoz
01-23-2009, 21:12
Fig newtons . Cheap, tasty and nutritious.

jcazz
01-23-2009, 21:26
Banana Oat Bars 8 Servings Cal:250 Pro:7.76, CHO:42, Fat:7 Na+:3.3mg

Ingredients:
2 Cups Oats
1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
1/2 Cup Raisins or Dates
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
2 Large Bananas, mashed
1/2 Cup Apple Sauce (optional)
1 Tbs Date Sugar (optional)

-Preheat oven 350F
-Mix ingredients in a bowl
-Press down in 9X9 pan and Bake for 30 minutes
-Cool on wire rack
-Slice and serve

Blissful
01-23-2009, 21:29
You know I was really skeptical about the power bar thing - until I used them in the late afernoon when I was dragging and they really did give me the extra energy I needed. Didn't feel like I crashed either which can normally happen with sugar.

We got a bunch for cheap at Big Lots before our hike. All vanilla though.

buzzamania
01-23-2009, 21:36
My wife makes some mean granola bars that are at least 15x cheaper and tastier in my opinion than anything you can buy called granola. She got mad at me for spending money on the bars so she bought some of the vanilla energy powder, mixed it with water to form a paste then added ton of rolled toasted oats, Karo syrup, peanut butter and whatever else you want to throw in. Take the giant bolus and pat it out on wax paper. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to flatten it out. Cut it into strips with a knife. The more peanut butter and Karo syrup you add the chewier. As you are patting it out press in chocolate chips. Truthfully they taste better if you omit the protein powder paste but if you are looking for the added protein it's there.

Gaiter
01-23-2009, 22:18
http://www.amazon.com/Lipsmackin-Backpackin-Lightweight-Trail-tested-Backcountry/dp/1560448814/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232763368&sr=1-1 this is the book i mentioned in earlier post, i think its worth checking out if you want some recipes, or at least ideas to make your own recipes

sarbar
01-23-2009, 22:40
I have posted a number of bar recipes over the years here and on BP.com's forums as well. Have a bunch up on the FBC site as well.

In all honesty though....in the winter I carry homemade fudge. It usually has nut butters in it for nutrition and a ton o' fat....

Most of the "energy" bars out there made commercially are mashed up fruit/nuts/grains that are held together with a sweetener to 'glue' it. It isn't hard to make your own....one healthier option I know I posted here was a combo of ground nuts and fruit, with spices and honey rolled in natural coconut. Those things actually taste GOOD and don't go bad fast.

buzzamania
01-23-2009, 22:55
The more peanut butter and Karo syrup you add the chewier. As you are patting it out press in chocolate chips. Truthfully they taste better if you omit the protein powder paste but if you are looking for the added protein it's there.[/quote]

My wife corrected me. . . I forgot to add 1 to 1 ratios on sugar and karo syrup. nuke it till sugar is disolved. It will taste pretty bland without it she says. :p

Wags
01-24-2009, 00:23
this is more like it! thanks friends

sarbar
01-24-2009, 02:17
The more peanut butter and Karo syrup you add the chewier.

Reason why is corn syrup holds in moisture (one reason why drying foods with corn syrup is hard to do!) :)

Strategic
01-24-2009, 13:03
I know that I'll hear the collective groan rise up from my fellow posters for this, but I'm going to do it anyway.:D

Here, reposted for the (mumble, mumble) time, is my Logan Bar recipe (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Estwriley/Logan%20Bars.htm). It's a modification of old-fashioned logan bread into a more pumped up and packable form (and it's dipped in chocolate, of course.)

Enjoy!

Lummox
01-25-2009, 11:30
These seem to be a lot like goo balls you'd find at festivals/concerts. The tastiest ones of those that I had were held together with mashed bannanas and peanut butter. Just mix in whatever nuts or fruit, ball it up and let it sit on some wax paper for a few days untill it dries out a bit. It'll always be sticky, but if you can manage to eat it out of its wax paper wrapping then you will have clean fingers after.

IceAge
01-26-2009, 11:28
Here ya go, I find it's better to use rolled oats and pulverize them in a food processor.

Homemade PowerBar TM

2 cups oats
2 1/2 c. powdered milk
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp honey
1 pkg orange or lemon Jello (3 oz)
3 Tbsp water

Combine oats, powdered milk and sugar.
In medium pan mix water, jello and honey.
Bring to boil.
Add dry ingredients.
Mix well (if dough is too dry, add a small amount of water a tsp at a time.)
Shape dough into a loaf about the size of a brick.
Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 f for 15-20 mins.
Cool.
Wrap in aluminum/tin foil and store in freezer.

mudhead
01-26-2009, 12:18
Here ya go, I find it's better to use rolled oats and pulverize them in a food processor.

Homemade PowerBar TM

2 cups oats
2 1/2 c. powdered milk
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp water

Bring to boil.
Add dry ingredients.
Cool.

Old fashioned or quick oats?

IceAge
01-26-2009, 14:17
I would guess that you could use either, I have the old-fashioned and so that's what I use.

mudhead
01-26-2009, 18:55
thanks. I like lemon stuff.

Dogwood
01-27-2009, 02:03
Mocha flavored bathmats!!! UM! Sounds yummy! I like that. Of couse, I wouldn't know a Mocha flavored one from a vanilla flavored one because I don't chew on bathmats - anymore. I'm on a diet.

Didn't someone on WB make a post not long ago about a web site that allows U to design (choose) what ingredients U want in an energy/nutrition bar and they make it for U? Why not go to that site, find out how they do it, and then make your own cheaper???

ki0eh
01-27-2009, 10:09
I understand that the "bathmat" taste comes from the protein powder which makes the difference between the ordinary candy bar and the power type bar. Basically the protein powder % goes up to what makes most focus groups gag and then they back off slightly. Compare from here: http://www.hersheys.com/payday/ the PayDay bar to the PayDayPRO bar. I suppose one could buy whatever's cheapest at the GNC and be your own focus group testing your gag reflex.

Strategic
01-27-2009, 23:51
I understand that the "bathmat" taste comes from the protein powder which makes the difference between the ordinary candy bar and the power type bar. Basically the protein powder % goes up to what makes most focus groups gag and then they back off slightly.

Pretty much on the money, ki0eh. Of course, the protien powder used is about as far removed from what most of us would think of as actual food that it's hardly a surprise that it gives us that "old sweat socks" ambiance.

Seriously enough though, I tried using that stuff when I was reformulating the Logan Bars and it was awful. That's why I turned to the soy flour as a major ingredient; it adds a significant protein boost but it's actual food and the flavor doesn't suffer.

Rowdy Yates
02-05-2009, 11:07
Hey IceAge,
I just this morning made this recipe, changed the Jello to Strawberry but it is SOOOO good. Found that it actually takes abou 6 Tbsps of water however. Also, be sure to spray or oil your pan before backing, otherwise it will stick. I'mm going to make another batch and use the Lemon Jello in it. Thanks for the great recipe. :pRowdy Yates

Homemade PowerBar TM

2 cups oats
2 1/2 c. powdered milk
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp water

Bring to boil.
Add dry ingredients.
Cool.

IceAge
02-05-2009, 16:46
Cool, glad you liked it! I agree that it usually takes a little more water than what the recipe calls for, but it 's important to add the water slooowly or it can turn to soup in a hurry.

I will definitely have to try strawberry jello.

Any other lessons from your experience?

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 18:05
agree they are way to expensive. just carry gorp

Kanati
02-05-2009, 18:50
does anyone have any good recipes for making your own powerbars? i like taking them (or variations such as clif) but are so damn expensive and have too much sugar in them.

Here's you 2 recipes that are tasty and will give you energy to burn.

Recipe # 1
Buy an 18 ounce jar of peanut butter. I like extra crunchy and the Great Value brand from W-M is the same as Jiff. The smooth is good also if that's what you like.

Take your spork and eat about 3-4 table spoons of the p-butter from your newly opened jar. But first, when you break the seal, put your nose close to it and breathe deeply the wonderful fresh smell. Ahhhhhh.

Now, fill the hole you have just created with trail mix. Your trail mix should be homemade and to include M & M's, candied fruit or anything else that suits your personal taste. Be creative. This is YOUR power bar.

Now here's the good part and what's going to keep you going strong. Take your squeezable bottle of honey and squirt about an ounce of it over the top of your trail mix. Watch how it seeps down thru the trail mix.

Give it a few seconds to settle then take your spork and stir it just a little so the p-butter is swallows up the t-m and h. Don't over stir it. Your're not making a whole jar of it. Your're just making a snack. Most of your p-butter hasn't been touched. That's for the next time and the next. Now your ready to eat.

If you don't like honey, use pancake syrup or just maple syrup or whatever you like.

Recipe#2

Use whole wheat bread for this as it contains essential complex carbs.

Coat one slice of bread generously with p-butter.

Cover the p-butter heavily with raisens or craisens.

(optional), Cover the raisens with walnuts.

Squirt honey or syrup over the walnuts. Too much will run off and create a mess. So go lightly with it.

Last, cap this off with another slice of bread and press it down around the edges to hold every thing toward the center.

This is your power bar sandwich. I carry two of these in a tupperware sandwich storage dish. These dishes take up very little space and weight nothing when empty.

Happy hiking. :sun

fenderbenderfc
02-19-2009, 15:30
Has anyone thought of altering a no bake cookie recipe? Also try searching for special k chews recipe. They are similar to no bakes expect it is peanut butter and cereal instead of oats. Very good. I imagine rice crispy treats recipes would work as well. Just put in nuts, rasins, etc. instead of only rice cereal.

boarstone
02-19-2009, 15:54
If this is any help: www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-youth.com/honey-trail-mix-bars.html

boarstone
02-19-2009, 15:56
www.recumbent-bikes-for-your.com/honey-trail-mix-bars.html

Dogwood
02-19-2009, 16:06
Hootyhoo just posted a MYO energy bar recipe yesterday. Look for it. Seemed like a good recipe that could be tweaked depending on personal tastes.

sarbar
02-19-2009, 16:12
Also try searching for special k chews recipe. They are similar to no bakes expect it is peanut butter and cereal instead of oats. Very good. I imagine rice crispy treats recipes would work as well. Just put in nuts, rasins, etc. instead of only rice cereal.

Here is my version of that exact recipe (it is posted on the FBC website):

Cereal Bars

3/4 cup corn syrup (or honey)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
5 cups cereal (flakes work well)
1/2 cup raisins or other small dried fruit (I preferred dried cranberries)

Corn syrup and brown sugar in large saucepan, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter Add cereal and fruit. Stir until well coated. (A silicone spatula works well)
Press mixture into a buttered or sprayed 13x9 pan for thin bars, a 8x8 pan for thick bars. Press with spatula so packed in.
Cut when cool!
Fair warning: while utterly addicting, don't eat if you have funky dental work! They are sticky goodness.

sarbar
02-19-2009, 16:13
This is one of my favorite recipe that I have had up on the FBC website for a couple years.

The "You can make them your way" Bars

Call them a chewy granola bar or an energy bar, either way, these are good! They freeze well also (wrap them up two bars to a bag for an easy trail snack out of the freezer.) Trust me, you will LOVE these bars. Yes, they are high in fat, but if you are hiking hard, you will burn it off. And they are better for you than a candy bar!

2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup dried cranberries (or whatever fruit you prefer!)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or other nut of choice, unsalted)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, craisins,wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and pecans.
4. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed.
5. I use rubber gloves for this.
6. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan. Make sure it is packed in tightly.
7. Bake 25-30 minutes in the oven or until the edges are golden.
8. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.

Makes 12-16 bars.
Notes: These bars take well to using applesauce or baby prunes as part of the oil. Brown sugar SplendaŽ works well as a way to cut back on the sugar content for diabetics. Any nut can be used, and feel free to change the fruit or add chocolate chips, etc to the batter! These bars have been made by a number of hikers on hiking forums, and the consensus is they are fang good!-no matter how you change the recipe!

Dogwood
02-20-2009, 01:19
And there you go. A basic recipe that can be amended to personal tastes. Turn the brain numbing idiot box off, get the mixing bowls out, pop in some tunes, and Let's Cook some damn energy bars. At least this way we will have a better idea of what we are eating!

Rendezvous01
03-01-2009, 17:33
Here's another easy recipe for energy bars that I first posted several years ago. They are definitely better tasting than the pre-fabricated, expensive, high fructose corn syrup-based cardboard 'mocha-flavored bathmats' you can waste your money on. The variations on this are endless. Unless you are putting together a couple mail-drop boxes, I suggest you cut this recipe in half and use an 8x8 pan, as the full-sized recipe is about 8 or 9000 calories.

The recipe is always variable, but here is the gist of it:
Trail Energy Bars
In a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat, mix
18 oz. jar of peanut butter
1 cup honey
1 stick butter
1/2 bag of marshmallows
Melt together and bring to rolling boil, boil for about two minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in about 1-1.5 cups instant powdered milk until absorbed.
Add about one box of favorite cereal--I've used granola, but for better nutrition I prefer 4 to 5 cups of crushed Kashi Go-Lean Crunch or anything else with higher protein content.
Spread evenly in 9 x 13 pan lined with wax paper or greased parchment paper, or just well-greased.

Option #1: stir in favorite dried fruit, diced if necessary, along with the cereal.
Option #2: Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes, then spread 1 cup of mini M & M's over the top and squish in and flatten out, using a piece of wax paper or a rubber spatula.

Cool for another 15 minutes to a half hour, cut into bars, allow to cool completely, break into bars and package one or two per in snack-size zip storage bags. Depending on how small you cut them and what cereal you use, you get about 250-300 calories each, with up to 10 grams of protein. I have added protein powder to try to up the protein content even more, but have never been thrilled with the resulting taste.