PDA

View Full Version : Fund to get TOW home.

No Belay
01-23-2009, 14:08
I'm not much for asking for money, couldn't even sell my Boy Scout candy bars as a kid, but I've gotten a stuff bag full of e-mails and PMs about contributing some bucks to TOW so he can get home for his mom's goodbye. I called Jeff at MRO in Damascus and he graciously agreed to set up a fund through his store Paypal account. If you're interested in sending a few bucks or pennies to Larry please do so by logging on to www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and send what ever you'd like via Paypal account [email protected] and earmark it as "HOBO TOW"

Thanks to Jeff and all the rest of the crew at MRO and thanks to everyone who takes the effort to give The Only Wanderer a leg up.

TaTonka

Lone Wolf
01-23-2009, 14:13
i gave him $100 bucks yesterday. where is he?

mtbmatty
01-23-2009, 14:33
i don't know who TOW is or what the situation is w/ his mom

what's the story?

Lost My Mind
01-23-2009, 14:43
Thanks for getting this set up. I hope everything works out okay. TOW is one in a million and I know it means a lot to him to be there for his Mother's funeral.

Pringles
01-23-2009, 14:52
Thanks for doing this No Belay. I don't know TOW, but everybody should be able to go to their Mother's funeral. I wish him, and you, the best.

Pringles

No Belay
01-23-2009, 14:52

Hey Wolf, Sorry I wasn't more specific. Check out the thread below about TOW's mom for a little background on Larry's situation. He's on his way back to Damascus after spending the night in the hospital near Crossville , Tn. and according to Jeff should be back in Damascus by 2pm. The funds are being collected to get him on a bus, train , plane or whatever so that he can get to Joplin Missouri to attend his mom's funeral which is scheduled for Monday. I'm starting my Thru next week so I'll be able to give him a ride back to Damascus after the funeral. THe fund was not of my conception. I received communications from other WB members after they read the first thread wanting to know how they could to contribute. There is no pressure to do so, just the opportunity if you wish to.

TaTonka

Alligator
01-23-2009, 15:08
Greyhound-12:30 p.m. bus from Marion to Joplin $164 non-refundable ticket. Ride is a little over 24 hours, bus leaves on Sat. and Sun.

No Amtrak service close enough.

Plane he might be able to get a funeral discount, but I don't know how that works exactly.

mtbmatty
01-23-2009, 15:36
sad, moms are awesome

i wish i could do more

all the best T.O.W.

peace

Kanati
01-23-2009, 15:47
I live just south of I-40 at Jackson, TN. If someone can get TOW that far, I will carry him to Joplin and stay with him until after the funeral and bring him back to at least Nashville. Let me know quick. Thanks

Lilred
01-23-2009, 16:12
Man I love you WBlazers. Way to go!!

bulldog49
01-23-2009, 16:27
Plane he might be able to get a funeral discount, but I don't know how that works exactly.

George Costanza does. Ask him. :D

Many Walks
01-23-2009, 16:43
Don't know him, never met him, but he needs some help. Just made a transfer to MRO.

Lone Wolf, I know you've been watching over and helping him. Your contribution to him was really generous. Good for you, Man!

Best wishes TOW, I lost my Mom in 2005, so I have an idea how you might feel. Take good care and I wish you the best.

camojack
01-23-2009, 16:56
George Costanza does. Ask him. :D
You think this thread is an appropriate venue for your attempt at humor, do you? Because I doubt if I'm the only one who thinks otherwise.

Kanati
01-23-2009, 17:04

There is a Greyhound leaving Bristol, TN tonight at 8:15 P.M., and arrives in Jackson, TN at 8:55 A.M. tomorrow morning. I can pick him up there and go on the Joplin.

I hate overnight rides on Greyhound but have done it several times. I know nothing about TOW's physical condition but this might work.

Give me a holler if you think this will work.

No Belay
01-23-2009, 17:06
Thanks to everyone who helped, Larry has received enough for his ticket home. No other contributions are needed for that purpose, Thanks to those of you that cared but weren't able too contibute. Compassion is the best contribution of all.

TaTonka

TOW
01-23-2009, 17:14
There is a Greyhound leaving Bristol, TN tonight at 8:15 P.M., and arrives in Jackson, TN at 8:55 A.M. tomorrow morning. I can pick him up there and go on the Joplin.

I hate overnight rides on Greyhound but have done it several times. I know nothing about TOW's physical condition but this might work.

Give me a holler if you think this will work.Hey, let me check on that. I just sent you a PM. Where I am going to need to go is about 30 miles east of Joplin, Missouri.......

TOW
01-23-2009, 18:49
Kenati is going to be picking me up tomorrow in Jackson, Tn and driving me home.

This communtiy folks are something else, I am very awed!

Lugnut
01-23-2009, 19:23
You help a lot of people and never ask for even a thanks. You deserve all we can do for you. Don't sell yourself short.

Serial 07
01-23-2009, 19:45
i love white blaze!

Rain Man
01-23-2009, 20:43
I'm not much for asking for money, couldn't even sell my Boy Scout candy bars as a kid, but I've gotten a stuff bag full of e-mails and PMs about contributing some bucks to TOW so he can get home for his mom's goodbye. ...
Thanks to Jeff and all the rest of the crew at MRO and thanks to everyone who takes the effort to give The Only Wanderer a leg up.

Thanks to you, TaTonka, for being willing to jump in, coordinate calls and PM's, drive TOW home, and get with Jeff. And thanks to Jeff for setting up the account. And thanks to all who are pitching in.

Right now it seems Larry is on the way to Jackson tonight, so we will not see him in Nashville tomorrow night, if I read the posts correctly. But, it seems you, TaTonka, will be driving him back through Nashville early next week on the way to Damascus, and will stop off? Just keep us posted.

Again, thanks to all.

Rain:sunMan

No Belay
01-23-2009, 22:48
Wouldn't miss the chance to meet you all. We've already put Nashville on our map. Looks to be Tues, late afternoon but we can drive slower if there's a dinner involved.

Please relay my gratitude to all the Nashville WBs. TOW was overwhelmed by your support and well wishes as he was by everyone on WB that kept their hearts open to him. He was almost speechless when I spoke to him late this afternoon.

Do you ever wonder how out of all the people in the world God chose us to be hikers? We must have done something right. :sun

TaTonka

bikerscars
01-23-2009, 23:00
you hikers help restore my faith in humanity...thanks

little bear
01-23-2009, 23:34
TOW, man Im sorry to hear about your mother, if there is anything I can do, just call me, you have the number......and now I can give you the same offer you gave me when my son pasted last year, if you want to get away you are more than welcome to come to NC and stay awhile. I love ya brother and just remember God loves ya nad so does many people on WB.

Brandon

River Runner
01-24-2009, 01:31
Thanks to everyone who helped, Larry has received enough for his ticket home. No other contributions are needed for that purpose, Thanks to those of you that cared but weren't able too contibute. Compassion is the best contribution of all.

TaTonka

Wow! That was fast. Is more needed for other expenses? Food or other incidentals?

TOW
01-24-2009, 06:55
it is 5 am and i am sitting at Rain Man's house. My bus leaves at 6:45....

Thank you very much............

Lyle
01-24-2009, 09:09
I was away all day yesterday so just saw this. I will make a small contribution when I finish this post. If you end up with more than needed for the trip, feel free to use the extra money in any way you need or wish. I know you and LW deserve every hiker's support and friendship for all that you do.

I never met you TOW, other than through this forum, but believe me, I know how you feel. I'm heading for my sister's funeral in about an hour. I know you need to be there, and wish you comfort. Best wishes to you and all of your family.

Ron Haven
01-24-2009, 12:10
Larry,
If you need something when you get to Kansas either call me or e-mail me,Sorry for all the problems friend.