PDA

View Full Version : Does old Tyvek ever die?

chris
04-28-2004, 18:25
Last weekend in the Smokys I woke up to find that the walls of my new Tarptent were quite wet. My Tyvek groundcloth even a little damp from what I suspect was just more condensation. But, it let me to thinking: Does Tyvek ever just die? GoreTex can get old and broke, my Frogg Toggs bit the dust eventually, and even motor oil breaks down eventually. So, has any one found their Tyvek to eventually lose its ability to keep out water? By this, I mean Tyvek that doesn't have a big hole in it. Mine is looking pretty beat, but I'm sentimentally drawn to it.

gravityman
04-28-2004, 18:45
Our piece has started to get like velcro. It collects things now because one side is like, well, furry.

It also has developed a lot of small tears. The tent that we used it with we haven't used in a year or so, so it doesn't get much use anymore...

Gravity man

Footslogger
04-28-2004, 19:02
Well, the piece I carried last year from Springer to Katahdin has some holes and thin spots and in looking at it more carefully they are all near the folds. Guess I was too methodical in folding it back up every day. Probably a good idea to fold it along different lines now and then to avoid excess wear in the same places.

Other than that though ...my Tyvek is still holding back the moisture.

'Slogger

chris
04-29-2004, 08:41
I've got the fur on one side, and a few small puncture and fire holes, but I am hoping to get it to Maine, maybe, and perhaps somewhere a bit further north as well.

Texas Dreamer
04-29-2004, 10:20
On folding...
Always refold everything you want to last along different lines. I work with and restore antique textiles, and this is always where you see damage first. A hundred year old handwoven tablecloth in perfect shape but for breakdown along the fold lines is heartbreaking. Not quite the same thing as tyvek, but...

Moon Monster
04-29-2004, 22:55
The piece I carried on a thru-hike got too funky from being in my smelly pack to keep after Katahdin. It was still in good material shape though.