PDA

View Full Version : USGS: Neels Gap Area

JaxHiker
01-23-2009, 16:38
I'm hiking from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap early next month. Since I don't get much opportunity to work on my land navigation skills in Florida I'll be doing some exercises with map/compass and the GPS.

Can somebody confirm whether or not Woody is on the Neels Gap map? Looking at the USGS site it looks like it's just a hair over the line into the other map to the left (for Suches, GA). It also looks like Hogpen is in the next map to the right. I really hate to lug three maps.

FatMan
01-23-2009, 16:48
I believe you will find Woody Gap at the edge of both the Suches Quad map and Neels Gap Quad map. No need for the Suches Quad if hiking north from Woody.

Edited to add: I just checked my maps. Woody Gap shows on both.

JaxHiker
01-23-2009, 16:59
Most excellent! Thanks!

Dances with Mice
01-23-2009, 18:57
I'm hiking from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap early next month. Since I don't get much opportunity to work on my land navigation skills in Florida I'll be doing some exercises with map/compass and the GPS.

Can somebody confirm whether or not Woody is on the Neels Gap map? Looking at the USGS site it looks like it's just a hair over the line into the other map to the left (for Suches, GA). It also looks like Hogpen is in the next map to the right. I really hate to lug three maps.You won't need much land nav skills to get from Woody to Hogpen. There's a long trench mostly worn down to mineral soil lined rather redundantly with brightly blazed trees that runs between those two points.

JaxHiker
01-23-2009, 23:31
I realize that. However, it's an opportunity that I plan on taking advantage of. It's more because I can than because I have to. :cool:

Hikes in Rain
01-24-2009, 09:02
Good idea, actually. Since you can't get lost, it's a great place to practice finding yourself.

JaxHiker
01-24-2009, 09:27
That's pretty much my line of thinking.

Speer Carrier
01-24-2009, 09:40
You won't need much land nav skills to get from Woody to Hogpen. There's a long trench mostly worn down to mineral soil lined rather redundantly with brightly blazed trees that runs between those two points.

I agree DWM. Even without foliage on the trees, and weeds growing right up to the trail, it is pretty difficult to not see where the trail is. I'd leave the maps home.

JaxHiker
01-24-2009, 10:28
Ok, folks, I guess I need to clarify my purpose here. It's a land navigation EXERCISE. I realize I could leave the maps at home but I don't have many opportunities in Florida to look for hills, let alone mountains that I can take bearings on to determine my position. Useful landmarks are hard to come by as one pine tree looks like the rest. :)

So my sole purpose for lugging the maps is to PRACTICE land navigation in the event I find myself in the middle of nowhere without a well-marked trail. I'm simply trying to hone my skills. Hope this clears things up.

Dances with Mice
01-24-2009, 10:28
I agree DWM. Even without foliage on the trees, and weeds growing right up to the trail, it is pretty difficult to not see where the trail is. I'd leave the maps home.As explained, he wants to use the area to practice land nav. And that's not a bad idea, I've done the same thing in that area with Scout troops.

Just be aware that there have been some pretty significant relocations between Woody and Blood Mtn in the last 5 years or so. You'll still be on the Blue Ridge, that never changes, but you either may not be on the side of the ridge that the map shows or the trail will cut up towards Blood south of where your map indicates.

JaxHiker
01-24-2009, 11:06
Thanks for the heads up!

BigBlue
01-24-2009, 11:21
My hat's off to you Jax, most of the people you find in the woods would be clueless were it not for blazes and markers. Glad to see someone else who cares about basic outdoor skills. I assume the GPS is just to double check your compass triangulations etc.

FatMan
01-24-2009, 11:39
Good skills to have. Yesterday my dog and I headed out on unexplored hunting trails around Rich Mountain without a map. I thought I had the topography of the area pretty much in my mind. We hiked out and back for about 8 miles and I thought I had a good idea of where I was using the sun as my compass. When I got back I looked at the maps and found out how lost I really was. Now I am really confused where I went. Next time I head out that way I will have a compass and map in hand.:)

Hikes in Rain
01-24-2009, 11:43
Even without exercising basic navigation skills, I always take maps. What if you needed to leave the trail for some reason? How would you know the name of the mountain you're looking at over the valley? Is that town off in the haze really the one you think it is? How close are you really to that next spring? What's the elevation profile like? Many reasons to carry a map, even if you don't really "need" it. They're useful and fun.

Take them and practice. I agree with BigBlue, it's a great thing.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2009, 11:58
Good skills to have. Yesterday my dog and I headed out on unexplored hunting trails around Rich Mountain without a map. I thought I had the topography of the area pretty much in my mind. We hiked out and back for about 8 miles and I thought I had a good idea of where I was using the sun as my compass. When I got back I looked at the maps and found out how lost I really was. Now I am really confused where I went. Next time I head out that way I will have a compass and map in hand.:)
Don't forget the sun is moving thru the sky. It will screw you up -- I've made the same mistake.

During my 2006 hike I took a lot of side trails -- especially in Maine. They weren't always blazed so my compass and maps got a lot of use. A long-distance hike following blazes gets old really fast. Going off trail really adds to the experience and stimulates the emotions.

JaxHiker
01-24-2009, 12:11
Blue, the GPS is two-fold. As you said it will be my checks and balances system to see how well I'm doing with the compass. However, I also like to keep my tracks so I can look at them on the computer later, know actual time/distance covered, mark interesting waypoints, etc.

Very good points, HiR. Fatman, I haven't done much with my watch and the sun. Thx for reminding me to throw that in the mix too.