PDA

View Full Version : AT in NC/TN - 26 to 19E - Week of 3/15

ChrisM
01-23-2009, 19:08
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get on the AT for 4-5 days the week of 3/15, and I am thinking about the 70 mile stretch between I-26 to Rt. 19E in NC/TN (never been before, but heard good things). I am hoping to cover 14 to 18 miles a day. I'd like to avoid the cost of a shuttle, so I am looking to see if anyone is interested. I'm flexible with trip length, miles per day, etc.

Chris

Tennessee Viking
01-24-2009, 02:09
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get on the AT for 4-5 days the week of 3/15, and I am thinking about the 70 mile stretch between I-26 to Rt. 19E in NC/TN (never been before, but heard good things). I am hoping to cover 14 to 18 miles a day. I'd like to avoid the cost of a shuttle, so I am looking to see if anyone is interested. I'm flexible with trip length, miles per day, etc.

ChrisYou should be hiking right around the start of the crowd. Its a really good section if you don't mind some of the rock. Big Bald, Beauty Spot, and Roan & Humps.

Last, I heard Johnny's was quoting 25-35 up to Sams Gap. But that was during the gas hike.

generoll
01-24-2009, 15:03
Seems I paid $25 for a dropoff at Sams Gap. I could do another installment on my section hike then, but I'm not doing 14-18 miles a day. I stopped at Uncle Johnnies and am going to do another section, not sure just how far that will be, but I'm not too sure about leaving a car at the northern end. Depending on what your deductible is on your comprehensive auto insurance it might be worth your while to use shuttles in that section. If memory serves that area north of Erwin had a bad history for vandalism. Dunno if that's still the case or not.

ChrisM
01-24-2009, 17:20
Thanks,

Those shuttle prices seem more reasonable than I was expecting. I was looking at the AT parking website and noted the 19E vandalism issues. I also found the Mountain Harbour B and B info. Anyone ever use/hear about their shuttles? I think I'll give them a call.

Chris

Tennessee Viking
01-24-2009, 17:57
Thanks,

Those shuttle prices seem more reasonable than I was expecting. I was looking at the AT parking website and noted the 19E vandalism issues. I also found the Mountain Harbour B and B info. Anyone ever use/hear about their shuttles? I think I'll give them a call.

Chris
Yup it will be wise to park at Mountain Harbor Inn. I believe their shuttle prices may have changed for going from Roan Mtn to Erwin.

kytrailman
01-26-2009, 10:47
Chris-- I am heading that way a couple times this spring--shoot me a pm with your itenerary and maybe we can work something out.

ChrisM
02-12-2009, 18:47
Wow, Mountain harbour wants $95 down to Sams Gap. Anyone want to make some money the weekend of 3/14-15?

Cabin Fever
02-12-2009, 20:29
PM me. I might be able to work something out depending on when you are coming this way.

ChrisM
02-15-2009, 12:04
Also Mountain Harbour now charges $5 bucks a night for parking if you're not using their place (I thought I remember reading $2). Anyone know of a good place a few miles north down the trail for safe parking? I looked through that AT Parking database, but couldn't figure out any options. Is Dennis cove road parking any safer?

Chris

dmax
02-15-2009, 12:29
I wish I could remember if there is any full service gsa stations there, in Roan Mt. Years ago I would drive to Kansas City to fly out of. It was alot cheaper to fly out of there for us. Anyway, There was a station close by and we would drop our car off for a tune up and/or oil change. After letting the station know, we would pick up our car after our trip was over.

There isn't alot of parking room at Dennis Cove. I don't know how safe it is to leave a car there for a few days. I don't recall hearing of any problems or seeing any broken glass there.

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2009, 15:26
I wish I could remember if there is any full service gsa stations there, in Roan Mt. Years ago I would drive to Kansas City to fly out of. It was alot cheaper to fly out of there for us. Anyway, There was a station close by and we would drop our car off for a tune up and/or oil change. After letting the station know, we would pick up our car after our trip was over.

There isn't alot of parking room at Dennis Cove. I don't know how safe it is to leave a car there for a few days. I don't recall hearing of any problems or seeing any broken glass there.Full service stations are hard to come by now. Its now your gas and McDonalds, then your Jiffy Lube down the block.

The Valero next to Bob's Dairyland and Cove Creek market are the only gas pumps in Roan Mountain now. The Appco station on 19E has been dry for a couple weeks since the company is having financial troubles.

Gray Blazer
02-15-2009, 17:35
Full service stations are hard to come by now. Its now your gas and McDonalds, then your Jiffy Lube down the block.

The Valero next to Bob's Dairyland and Cove Creek market are the only gas pumps in Roan Mountain now. The Appco station on 19E has been dry for a couple weeks since the company is having financial troubles.

The Dairyland is well known for great shakes.

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2009, 18:04
The Dairyland is well known for great shakes.Its getting even better. Open Sundays and they know a menu of flavors for their soft serves. Peach & Blackberry Tea

ChrisM
03-04-2009, 17:12
Thanks again everyone.

Bob Peoples is going to take me from Kincora down to Sams Gap on 3/14 - if anyone needs a ride that way, I'd gladly split it.

Chris