PDA

View Full Version : "A Walk in the Woods" Lives...on life support

Fiddleback
01-23-2009, 21:20
There's a Robert Redford interview in the Friday, 23 Jan, Wall Street Journal. At the very beginning the WSJ asks, "What are you working on...What's your next project?"

Redford responds, "I have three competing projects...A third is based on a Bill Bryson book, "A Walk in the Woods" and was meant for me and Paul (Newman) to do, about two older guys who want to do something challenging and decide to hike the Applalachian trail (sic)."

That's all...not much...but at least it seems to still be on his 'to do' list...

FB

Lone Wolf
01-23-2009, 21:25
i hope it happens. it's a great book. will make a fun movie

westville
01-24-2009, 11:32
Surely it won't star Robert Redford. Isn't he far too old at this point?

jersey joe
01-24-2009, 11:32
I hope it happens too. It could be a really funny movie if they do it right. It will also bring an enormous amount of publicity to the trail, which should be a good thing.

SGT Rock
01-24-2009, 11:35
Kelsey Grammer as Bryson and John Goodman as Katz.

jersey joe
01-24-2009, 11:36
I still say Jason Alexander(George on Seinfeld) would make a great Katz.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2009, 11:38
Surely it won't star Robert Redford. Isn't he far too old at this point?
I thought age was just a number:D

...buncha bs, old age sucks

JAK
01-24-2009, 11:44
I saw it in our Library yesterday.
I should have picked it up but I was looking at old books on bushcraft.

I haven't read about it, only heard about it through you guys.
That should be good with Kelsey Grammer and John Goodman.

How about Steve Landesberg and Lone Wolf?

SGT Rock
01-24-2009, 11:44
Too small and whinny sounding.

ofthearth
01-24-2009, 11:49
I think a poll would be just the thing. Is there a way to do a poll such that people can add their choice?

JAK
01-24-2009, 11:54
I think a poll would be just the thing. Is there a way to do a poll such that people can add their choice?That's an interesting idea. I have never seen such a poll anywhere.

Ron Haven
01-24-2009, 12:00
Kelsey Grammer as Bryson and John Goodman as Katz.what about Minnesota Smith as Katz?

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2009, 12:06
... Is there a way to do a poll such that people can add their choice?
No, people are not disciplined enough to do this. It take a dedicate person/group to gather the info. See an example... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=170578#post170578

ofthearth
01-24-2009, 12:20
No, people are not disciplined enough to do this. It take a dedicate person/group to gather the info. See an example... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=170578#post170578

Read the info you refer to and was even passing it out to folks. Quite a job(the gathering and sort of the info).

I had something more straight forward in mind. Just a list of people that folks thought would be the "perfect" "actor" for the role. I remember sitting at a shelter and the topic came up. Choices ranged from WD to JT. Don't remember which position. The other part of the question was - is it possible for people to add to a poll once it is posted.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2009, 12:39
Drew Carey for Katz!

cannonball
01-24-2009, 12:49
Definately the guy who played Norm on cheers as Katz. George Wendt, yea thats the ticket.

FritztheCat
01-24-2009, 13:35
How about the dude who plays on "King of Queens" and is the new movie about the mall cop?

JAK
01-24-2009, 13:38
If this movie never comes out I might have to hike the AT myself.

max patch
01-24-2009, 14:00

Yup.

And Kramer as Bryson.
And Georges mother as Jensine at Rainbow Springs.
And Jerry would be the purist making sure to pass every blaze and then make funny observations at night at the shelers.
And Elaine would be who every pinkblazer is chasing after.
Room for everyone. Bring the whole cast back!!

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 14:25
Interesting casting ideas.

I kinda like Stephen Root (he was Milton, the Stapler guy, in "Office Space") as Katz.

For Bryson, I like Brendan Gleeson, the big beefy Irish actor ("Braveheart"; "Gangs of New York", "Michael Collins", "Troy", and several Harry Potter movies).

Put some glasses on him, stick him in a tweed jacket, and give him a pipe, and he even LOOKS like Bill Bryson.

Failing that, I'd go with John Goodman and Steve Buscemi.

Kinda like "The Big Lebowski" goes hiking.

You listening, Mr. Redford?

SGT Rock
01-24-2009, 15:39
Interesting casting ideas.

I kinda like Stephen Root (he was Milton, the Stapler guy, in "Office Space") as Katz.

For Bryson, I like Brendan Gleeson, the big beefy Irish actor ("Braveheart"; "Gangs of New York", "Michael Collins", "Troy", and several Harry Potter movies).

I think those would be acceptable.

Lugnut
01-24-2009, 15:46
I think a poll would be just the thing. Is there a way to do a poll such that people can add their choice?

Didn't already go through all this last year? :confused:

rickb
01-24-2009, 15:52
Russel Crow and Jack Black. With the guy who did Slum Dog Millionaire to direct. Got to find a part for Jack Bauer, though.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 16:24
It's actually "Russell Crowe", but who's counting, but it's nice to see you follow cinema.

At least "Jack Black" is kind of foolproof. :rolleyes:

Arizona
01-24-2009, 16:40
John Lovitz as Bryson "I hiked the Appalchian Trail, Yeah, thats the ticket" and Jack Black as Katz. :D

PAHiker
01-24-2009, 16:47
Christopher McCutchen for Katz!

PAHiker
01-24-2009, 16:49
Kevin Spacey with a beard for Bryson.

Tinker
01-24-2009, 16:51

and I still say Wayne Knight (Don the policeman on Third Rock from the Sun and -------(I forgot) the theiving dna dino dinner on Jurassic Park (1).
He can make all the right faces to suit the descriptions in the book.
(Right age, too).
Goodman still seems to be the redneck husband of Rosanne Barr in my mind - not exactly long-lost best friend of an American transplant to England-writer.
Just my opinion, but it's right. :D;)

Nicksaari
01-24-2009, 18:49
haha this is a great thread. anytime i think of jason alexander, i think of george trying to have his way with julia roberts in "pretty woman". i know its a serious scence, but i see george trying to grope. haha

i like the "big lebowski goes walking" idea, as stated by Mr. Tarlin.

"...thus always to deadbeats, lebowski."

SGT Rock
01-24-2009, 18:56
I like the sound of that. Maybe Jeff Bridges and John Goodman again...

Nicksaari
01-24-2009, 19:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0t_fAddwDk

the dude's first line of dialog of the movie. classic.

you guys must read the book "youre a lebowski, im a lebowski"
quintessential reading of fans.
god my best friends one of those mirrors with the cover of time magazine on it that says "are you a lebowski achiever?"

sorry to steer from the subject of the thread, YES there should, and hopefully will be a screenplay. and when it come out, we should organize a group to go see it. especially if Bridges/Goodman do it.

SGT Rock- check out that book!!! youll love it

rickb
01-24-2009, 19:26
Bart could play the role of a Black Bear.

He's got the acting chops to pull it off.

Nicksaari
01-24-2009, 19:42
and this trashy girl i work with can play that woman Katz tries to mess with in Waynesboro.
that was one of the only parts of the book (from what i remember) that made me laugh aloud.

i always wonder if shes still around Waynesboro, picking up overweight, disheveled hikers, only for her husband to come home.

reminds me of that scene in "Sideways"!!! haha thats was so hilarious. the husband comes running out chasing after thomas hayden church and his fat is undulating and his little pecker is all bouncing about!!! haha oh boy oh boy my imagination.

ive seriously got to re read the book now that its been a few years, and im more into packing

Panzer1
01-24-2009, 19:53
Katz should be played by Cosmo Kramer from the TV series "Seinfield"; real name Michael Richards. He's kind of weird anyway.

Panzer

ofthearth
01-24-2009, 19:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthearth http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=764381#post764381)

Didn't already go through all this last year? :confused:

I don't know did we? Are you referring to 1) how to do a poll 2) a poll about who should be who (if this is the case do you have a link) 3) how to do a poll that people can choices to? :-?

Spogatz
01-24-2009, 21:27
I would make a good Katz...

Panzer1
01-24-2009, 21:38
If they make a movie, I'm sure I'll watch it and probably enjoy it. But if they don't make a movie, I think its for the best. I really don't want to see the trail crowed with people who are there just because they saw a movie. Let them have to read some long boring book first. ;)

Panzer

Lugnut
01-24-2009, 23:24
I don't know did we? Are you referring to 1) how to do a poll 2) a poll about who should be who (if this is the case do you have a link) 3) how to do a poll that people can choices to? :-?[/QUOTE]

It was all dicussed about who would play what part and so on. Mostly the same people are being named as were then. It wasn't a poll with choices per se but pretty much what we have here, which is just fine. If you want to read it you could do a search.

Sleepy the Arab
01-25-2009, 01:05
It's actually "Russell Crowe", but who's counting, but it's nice to see you follow cinema.

At least "Jack Black" is kind of foolproof. :rolleyes:

Didn't we already cast Russell Crowe to play you?

hoz
01-25-2009, 09:12
Bart could play the role of a Black Bear.

He's got the acting chops to pull it off.

Bart the Bear died May 10, 2000. RIP

I think he was a Grizz BTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_the_Bear

hoz
01-25-2009, 09:14
I really don't want to see the trail crowed with people who are there just because they saw a movie. Let them have to read some long boring book first. ;)Panzer

My feelings exactly on BOTH points. Does the AT really need more people?

I read the book several years ago and for some reason could not get excited about his "journey".

Lone Wolf
01-25-2009, 09:19
it's already crowded. what's a few more? bring on the flick!

Tin Man
01-25-2009, 09:23
Michael Richards and Chris Rock

SGT Rock
01-25-2009, 10:22
Harold and Kumar.

rickb
01-25-2009, 11:24
Bart the Bear died May 10, 2000. RIP

I think he was a Grizz BTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_the_Bear

Yup, Bart was a Grizz, like the picture on the Book Jacket.

That's where Bart's acting experience would have had to come into play. Sorry to hear he died. Not sure if Little Bart would be up to the challenge of playing a black bear.

mudhead
01-25-2009, 13:40
Alien vs Predator, The AT Chronicles.

Squeaky 2
01-25-2009, 15:26
i remember meeting the producers for the movie when they came to blackburn outdoor center when i was held up with my foot in 06. it seemed very serious so i am suprised not to see it out already. they were researching shooting areas and all seemed to be in full swing

ASUGrad
01-26-2009, 15:38
It's listed in IMDB with a 2009 release but still in development.

minnesotasmith
01-26-2009, 15:46
Didn't we already cast Russell Crowe to play you?

"You" meaning Baltimore Jack.

I was thinking more like Randy Quaid. :D

BumpJumper
01-26-2009, 19:56
Chevy Chase as Bryson
Bill Murray as Katz...
:D

Hikerhead
01-26-2009, 20:12
I'd like to see Billy Crystal and David Stern team up again (City Slickers) for this.

Tinker
01-26-2009, 20:19
Memorable lines from "City Slickers":

....must have come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Crystal - "Hey, Curly, kill anyone today?"
Palance (Curley) "Day ain't over yet."

......then there's Norman the calf............:p

Hikerhead
01-26-2009, 20:45
Memorable lines from "City Slickers":

....must have come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Crystal - "Hey, Curly, kill anyone today?"
Palance (Curley) "Day ain't over yet."

......then there's Norman the calf............:p

:) They could find a secret map to Ms Janets gold that she buried out on the trail around Roan Mt.

elray
01-26-2009, 20:52
Chevy Chase as Bryson
Bill Murray as Katz...
:D
I'm with you, that would be great duo!

Nicksaari
01-27-2009, 18:42
ill second that!

how about Bill Muray and Harold Ramis? youve got the whole Vankemen & Egon thing going there. haha!

"oh yeah, there is one more thing. dont cross the streams."
"why not?"
"because that would be very bad."

the goat
01-27-2009, 19:19
Failing that, I'd go with John Goodman and Steve Buscemi.

Kinda like "The Big Lebowski" goes hiking.

i'd go see that! we'd have to fit jeff bridges in there somewhere too.....

Sly
01-27-2009, 19:29
i'd go see that! we'd have to fit jeff bridges in there somewhere too.....

Of course, it wouldn't be the same without the Dude!

Sly
01-27-2009, 19:32
It's listed in IMDB with a 2009 release but still in development.

So it's probably not as much on life support as the title suggest. That's good to hear. If nothing else I'd like to see the movie come out and the panic about the crushing herd of hikers begin. :p

Fiddleback
01-27-2009, 20:45
I dunno...I quoted Redford's entire comments about 'A Walk...' If it was anywhere near done or even in production I would have expected a little more amplification. As it was, he referenced three competing projects and he referred to "A Walk...' as "a third..." As I posted in the OP, it's not much and not much to go on but I kinda got the feeling he really hasn't started on it yet despite IMDB (one of my fave sites).

FB

Tin Man
01-27-2009, 22:28
So it's probably not as much on life support as the title suggest. That's good to hear. If nothing else I'd like to see the movie come out and the panic about the crushing herd of hikers begin. :p

and hearing every minute of the film being picked to the bone. :p

kolokolo
01-27-2009, 22:51
"A third is based on a Bill Bryson book, "A Walk in the Woods" and was meant for me and Paul (Newman) to do.."

It's kind of strange that Robert Redford would say that, because I thought Paul Newman died last September. Maybe the interview was done before that.

bikebum1975
01-27-2009, 22:56
Kelsey Grammer as Bryson and John Goodman as Katz.

Agreed they would make a perfect team for the movie hope they make it. Of course I might have to watch it a few times I'd be on the floor laughing to many times. I have all ready read the book 3 times it is a modern day classic.

TrippinBTM
01-28-2009, 10:47
"A third is based on a Bill Bryson book, "A Walk in the Woods" and was meant for me and Paul (Newman) to do.."

It's kind of strange that Robert Redford would say that, because I thought Paul Newman died last September. Maybe the interview was done before that.

I think the point was that when he took up the movie project, he intended to have Newman play the role; now that he's dead, the project is stalled.

sore ankle
01-29-2009, 19:32
Jim Belushi for Katz.

The guy (Steve Smith?) who plays Red Green for Bryson.

nitewalker
01-29-2009, 19:41
i think kelsey grammer is a great choice for bryson. how about stephen baldwin for katz. baldwin is a pretty funny/goofy guy and can definitly play the role of katz.