PDA

View Full Version : Swimmin holes?

Brett
01-23-2009, 21:42
Are there many clear creeks, rivers or ponds where one can do a lil swimming??

fehchet
01-23-2009, 21:44
Maine has lots of them.

Egads
01-23-2009, 21:45
The Midnight Hole is just a few miles off the AT in GSMNP. Those rocks are 10-15 above water level and make a nice diving platform.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22078&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=9622&cutoffdate=-1

Slo-go'en
01-23-2009, 22:48
The ponds and stream in Maine tend to be cooold. We took a dip or at least waded in quite a few ponds in NJ and NY. There are a few rivers big enough to take a dip or swim in, but mostly you'll just run into stuff you can soak your feet in.

Cool AT Breeze
01-23-2009, 22:54
There is the James River Bridge in VA.

KG4FAM
01-23-2009, 23:04
I took a dip in the Nolichucky once.

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2009, 23:04
Don't forget the Ivory soap (it floats)

sasquatch2014
01-24-2009, 00:06
Not nearly enough hikers take advantage of the swimming at Bull's Bridge in Ct. It is just before you head up Schagticoke Mt in Ct. Go trail east on the Road and just before the new bridge head down the trail the river will be on your left. Go down a bit and you will see the trail that people take down to the river. Great swimming hole and a big cliff that some people jump from. Nice rocks to lay on in the hot sun.

johnnybgood
01-24-2009, 01:56
The Ivory soap is a must if dipping in the James.

Tennessee Viking
01-24-2009, 02:16
Dennis Cove is probably the heaven of swimming holes in TN. You have Laurel Fork Falls, but many idiot tourists come here as well. From the AT crossing at Dennis Cove Road, take the road up to Dennis Cove Campground & Laurel Fork Trail, there are a number of swimming holes up that trail.

Then there is the Elk River section north of 19E. The river can get about knee deep, but if you jump off trail onto an access and follow a forest road you can go to Elk River Falls about 1 mile from the AT.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2009, 02:41
You have Laurel Fork Falls, but many idiot tourists come here as well.

a lot of hikers fit that bill. just cuz they're walkin' with a pack doesn't make 'em outdoorsy

Tennessee Viking
01-24-2009, 02:55
a lot of hikers fit that bill. just cuz they're walkin' with a pack doesn't make 'em outdoorsy
Lets narrow it down to the people who come to the falls in droves, jump off the cliffs to impress their girlfriends, party with a 12 pack of Bud, leave their trash, and make the visit to the falls unenjoyable for hikers. Then they end up on the news being carried out because they nearly drowned or busted their head on a rock.

Going to Laurel Falls in the summer is a regret.

sasquatch2014
01-24-2009, 12:09
in the summer at Bulls bridge a lot of people come up from Danbury for the day on the weekends. You get your yahoo's but also a lot of families. If you see a lot of families and you can't understand their "spanish" it is most likely because they are speaking Portuguese.

Blissful
01-24-2009, 12:31
Dismal Creek falls area in VA.

senache
01-24-2009, 14:08
Google and ye shall find........http://www.swimmingholes.org/

FatMan
01-24-2009, 14:27
You can hike down the 1 mile Jarrard Gap trail (approx 2 miles south of Blood Mtn) to Lake Winfield Scott. A beautiful clear lake in a FS Campground with a nice sand beach. Then you can blue blaze back to the AT on the Slaughter Creek Trail if you are not a white blaze purist so no need to back track.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2009, 16:27
Best swimming hole I know of that's actually ON the trail is near Wise Shelter in Southwest Virginia, tho the one by Laurel Creek Shelter is pretty nice, too.

Best one NEAR the A.T. is directly behind my house.

Unfortunately, right now is a lousy time to make use of it.

Tinker
01-24-2009, 16:32
Don't forget the Ivory soap (it floats)

...................downstream, always out of reach!:rolleyes:

fehchet
01-24-2009, 17:10
When I did a SOBO through Maine in 2005, I swam every day. My first swim was at Abol Bridge Camp Ground and it just continued all the way to New Hampshire. Oh, I may have missed a day or two but no more. I tented near streams and lakes more often than near a shelter.
A fond memory I have is when I trudged into Steve Longley's yard. Steve was standing on the porch of his store and he looked at me approaching and said, "Is that you Timmy Holland?" We had not set eyes on each other in 15 years.

Deadeye
01-24-2009, 17:17
Clarendon Gorge in VT - just in time to clean up before breakfast at the Whistle Stop!

Nicksaari
01-24-2009, 18:40
the tye river. only on a hot day. that water is freezing.

at jarman's gap in SNP southern district, you could aqua blaze down the south fork of the moormans river, with an outstanding "blue hole". continue northward, linking up with the north fork moorman river trail, numerous swimmin' holes, and warmer, due to direct sunlight. north fork trail links up with blackrock gap.

im not sure the mileage this aqua blaze, about 10 or so miles, but pleasant, no less.

http://www.swimmingholes.org/va.html
or
explore the website so search other states that the trail runs through. best of luck!

Nicksaari
01-24-2009, 18:42
BTW im elated to be friends with Mr Tarlin now on the facebook. whats up jack!?

EasyStrider
01-24-2009, 22:30
Clarendon Gorge was a good one. How about Rauch Creek. There is a nice campsite just before Rauch Gap shelter. The section of Rauch Creek here, had some nice clear and deep pools of cold water.

windex
01-24-2009, 22:41
You know... one of my few regrets from my thruhike is that I never got in any water except for a hot shower.
I had some phobia about river water or something, which I am now over, but it still make me miss out on some great opportunities.

OldStormcrow
01-26-2009, 17:11
You can always jump into the river at Wesser, but it stays pretty cold year-round.

Tin Man
01-26-2009, 17:29
Clarendon Gorge in VT - just in time to clean up before breakfast at the Whistle Stop!

I thought the Whistle Stop closed?

Swimming options in MA include Benedict Pond and the pond at Upper Goose Cabin.

Stratton Pond in VT is a good swimming hole. Other VT swimming options include Griffith Lake and Little Rock Pond.

Ox97GaMe
01-26-2009, 17:44
I ran into a group of locals that showed me a REALLY sweet swimming hole just south of Mousilakee. It was about .25 on a side trail near the trail head parking.

I also remember being able to go for a swim almost every day while I was hiking through NY, CT and MA. Dont remember all the places, but there were sure some really nice spots to take an afternoon swim and siesta.

Tin Man
01-26-2009, 18:18
I ran into a group of locals that showed me a REALLY sweet swimming hole just south of Mousilakee. It was about .25 on a side trail near the trail head parking.

I think the pond you are referring to is just north of Moosilauke just before the RT 112 crossing.

Nearly Normal
01-27-2009, 02:32
http://www.swimmingholes.org/

earlyriser26
01-27-2009, 09:28
My favorite was the one by the Frye Brook Shelter in Maine (no longer there) Water falls, pools, and an opportunity to kill yourself jumping off cliffs.