PDA

View Full Version : Old Buffalo.... about to enter God's hands.

windex
01-24-2009, 01:23
Pete Hart (aka Old Buffalo GAME '01) has been battling a very rare form of leukemia for the past few months. He has decided to forgo all medicine and pass in peace at this point. His liver and kidneys cannot withstand any more chemo and the doctors have no real idea of how to get his bone marrow producing again. He has, at most, a week to live.
If you know Pete (Old Buff') and would like to send him an email... his address is [email protected] I know that the family would appreciate it, and it will be your last chance here to give this great man a shout out.
He was a retired NPS superintendent and managed many of my favorite national parks.... including Glacier, where he hiked with me and my husband on our honeymoon.
Please let any 2001 alumni know about this.

*** He passed away on January 30, 2009 I am currently fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in his honor. GO TO http://pages.teamintraining.org/in/one50009/windex

Miss Janet
01-24-2009, 21:38
Windex, do you have a picture of him? I am pretty sure I met him in 01. I think he sounds like an incredibly brave man and my heart goes out to him and his family.

wrongway_08
01-24-2009, 21:57
Prayers to him and his family. Very sad.

I am glad he was able to hike and enjoy his time.

windex
01-24-2009, 22:20
Old Buffalo is on the far right in this photo in a White Mtns hut... I am in the middle bottom
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/windexross/oldbuff.jpg

Slimer
01-24-2009, 23:28
I've never met Old Buffalo, but nonetheless I'm sad to hear about his condition.
My thoughts go out to all those involved.

windex
01-30-2009, 22:07
Old Buffalo left at 8am pacific time this morning.... he was 67 years old and had spent his life bettering ours in the National Park Service.
If you care to send his family a note the email is [email protected]
I will be running the Indianapolis 500 Mini-Marathon in his memory for the leukemia and lymphoma society's Team in Training.

Lilred
01-31-2009, 00:55
It's always sad for me when a fellow hiker dies, even though I never knew them. In a way though, I do. My prayers go out to his family.

Smile
01-31-2009, 01:12
I never knew him, but my heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family.

clured
01-31-2009, 09:53
Peace. A reminder to enjoy the time we have.

wrongway_08
01-31-2009, 10:48
R.I.P. ... prayers to his family.

Blissful
01-31-2009, 17:45
I'm so sorry.

Nicksaari
01-31-2009, 18:15
what a wonderful person who did wonderful things. my heart goes out to his family in their time of mourning. not many ppl see things the way we all do here do- our love of the outdoors, whether it be on our beloved trail or extended in all directions from it. this man devoted his life to giving back to nature in such a wonderful medium, the NPS. what a great way to make a living. i never knew he existed until this thread, but i feel for any like-minded individual who is taken long before their time. RIP Old Buffalo.

Toolshed
01-31-2009, 18:28
Rest in Peace Old Buffalo. My prayers go out to your family.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-31-2009, 18:37
gods speed my friend we will all be seeing you down the trail bye and bye
"there is a highway no simple footpath somewhere between the dawn and the dark of night and if you go no-one may follow for it is meant for your footsteps alone"

Hillbilly

windex
02-01-2009, 16:34
http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=PeopleNews&id=2237&urlarea=PeopleNews

Peaks
02-01-2009, 18:00
I was always a day behind him. Didn't really meet until the last night a Dacey Pond.

Colter
02-01-2009, 18:38
Goodbye Old Buffalo. It was a life well-lived.

yappy
02-02-2009, 14:01
I too am very sorry to hear that. Funny, most of us had not met him and yet.. he is a kindred spirit, one of us. He sounded like a heck of a man. I looked at that ruddy, outdoor face in the pic and yeah.. I know him.

Mongoose2
02-02-2009, 14:19
I read the bio above, what an amazing life! God bless his friends and family!

windex
02-03-2009, 18:10
I am doing the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon here in Indianapolis in Pete's Memory..... If you have a buck, I would appreciate a donation. I just need 1,099 people after you to also donate a buck and I have reached the Team's minimum fundraising goal.... I hope to get much more than that in tribute to my dear friend.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/in/one50009/windex
God Bless all you hikers... I will be back on the trail soon enough.. for now I am training for a mini-marathon.

wolf
02-04-2009, 21:40
God Speed Old Buffalo, I Never Meet Ya ,but You Are One Of Us .may You Feel Like A Bird Go With The Wind, Rest In Peace

No Belay
02-05-2009, 00:42
I am doing the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon here in Indianapolis in Pete's Memory..... If you have a buck, I would appreciate a donation. I just need 1,099 people after you to also donate a buck and I have reached the Team's minimum fund raising goal.... I hope to get much more than that in tribute to my dear friend.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/in/one50009/windex
God Bless all you hikers... I will be back on the trail soon enough.. for now I am training for a mini-marathon.

Windex, Thanks for the opportunity to help your efforts to eradicate blood disease and at the same time create a tribute to such a kindred spirit. Is there a way to utilize Paypal to contribute? I definitely want to help out but have reduced all of my credit cards to free radicals so Paypal is my only option. Enjoy your mini and thanks again.

TaTonka

TOW
02-05-2009, 06:31
I bet Heaven is rejoicing with Old Buffalo's presence. May he be at peace now........

peanuts
02-05-2009, 17:49
my condolences to his family..

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 18:04
R.i.p

windex
02-06-2009, 21:10
This is the information given to donors when they ask to use PayPal.

Thank you for supporting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. You can donate to the main LLS website using PayPal. After your donation has completed you will need to send me a copy of your confirmation email so that I can work with our finance department to get the funds allocated to the fundraising efforts of the participant you are sponsoring. I will need their full name, event, and the state where they live.

To donate to the main LLS site using PayPal please follow these steps:
1. Go to www.lls.org
2. Click on 'Donate'. It is located under the heading of 'HOW TO HELP' on the left side of the web page.
3. After you click on 'Donate', a new web page will appear but there will be other options underneath the word 'Donate' on the left side of the web page. Click on 'Donate using PayPal'.
4. Click on the graphic that is in the middle of the web page that says 'PayPal' with the word 'Donate' underneath it.
5. Log into your PayPal account and finish the transaction.

When you are finished, please be sure to send a copy of the transaction to me with the participants information. ( Leah Nichols, Indianapolis, Indy 500 Mini-Marathon)

If you have any questions you can call us for assistance at 1-888-LLS-7177.
Marissa