PDA

View Full Version : REI Quarter Dome T2

RaoulDuke
01-24-2009, 02:19
Can anyone recommend this item over other top name brands?

I'm hiking Harpers Ferry > Katahdin in April and need a good tent. Others that I have looked into are Seedhouse SL2, Hubba Hubba, and Clip Flashlight.

I would like to buy name brand, and don't mind spending a LITTLE extra money, but the cost of the foot print is ridiculous on the other tents. REI footprint is only $20 compared to Seedhouse which is $50. Weight is definitely a factor for me as well. 4lbs is the highest I am willing to go. I'm trying to stick to a low-cost budge, but am willing to spend $ on tent and backpack(gregory Z65).

Also, I am a complete newb. Weekend backpacking and car camping only. So any help, tips, suggestions is much appreciated.

skinewmexico
01-24-2009, 02:49
I've got a T3, and I'm really happy with it. If you watch, it's pretty easy to catch REI having a 20% off sale. As far as footprints, I wouldn't waste the money on a high dollar, heavy factory footprint, unless you need it to set up with a footprint and fly only. Just get a piece of Tyvek, and cut it to fit. If weight is definitely a factor, you could sure save some with a different pack, like a Osprey Exos 58. Or some pretty good closeouts (with another 20% off) on REI outlet.

Rain Man
01-24-2009, 08:59
I have the T2 and love it. SO MUCH head and shoulder room compared to all my other tents. I don't have any that you mention, though, so can't compare directly.

I definitely have the REI footprint, because I love the option of leaving the tent body at home whenever bugs are not a problem, and setting up only the rainfly and footprint, and saving all that weight.

The T line of tents take just a little getting used to, with their unique pole design, but once you get it, it's a snap and you'll love the extra roominess. Also, I really like having two doors and two vestibules.

Rain:sunMan

GeneralLee10
01-24-2009, 11:25
I have this pack and have used it on a few two night trips and just now one 6 day trip. It is very nice and did not break the bank account just around $200. The functions on it are simple my base weight is only 7lbs right now. I use a tarp now and have a carry HH sometimes looking at getting more of a shelter/tarp Lighter and more functions than just a tarp or tent. I use a Room Border/Hallway Drop Cloth its 2mil / 3ft. x 60ft. blue plastic in a roll (got mine at Lowes) tough light and fits perfect under my sleeping bag.

RaoulDuke
01-24-2009, 13:23
I've got a T3, and I'm really happy with it. If you watch, it's pretty easy to catch REI having a 20% off sale. As far as footprints, I wouldn't waste the money on a high dollar, heavy factory footprint, unless you need it to set up with a footprint and fly only. Just get a piece of Tyvek, and cut it to fit. If weight is definitely a factor, you could sure save some with a different pack, like a Osprey Exos 58. Or some pretty good closeouts (with another 20% off) on REI outlet.
I would just grad a cheap tarp and make my own footprint, but i like the idea of using only the footprint and fly in the summer.

Also the Gregory 65 weighs a bit over 3lbs. Is this not lightweight? I like the durability and warranty of Gregory packs as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

skinewmexico
01-24-2009, 15:10
I think of the Gregory as a tiny bit under 4 pounds (in M). Not lightweight.

Summit
01-24-2009, 21:53
I almost bought the REI Camp Dome 2 tent @ $99.50 and am wishing I had. Great reviews, about 1 lb heavier than the Quarter Dome T2, but will be warmer in early spring / late fall. Think of what you could do with the $170 you save! :)

Although my SD Lightning is less than a year old, I'm thinking of picking one of these up the next time REI does a 20% off member deal . . . imagine a great tent for $80. ;)

hnryclay
01-27-2009, 19:17
I own the half dome, and it is a good tent. I would guess the quarter dome to be of the same quality, but lighter.

Rain Man
01-27-2009, 21:37
I own the half dome, and it is a good tent. I would guess the quarter dome to be of the same quality, but lighter.

I have/had both. You do need to take into account which model year you are comparing.

One thing I liked about the old Half Dome, which I did not like about the later Quarter Dome, was the ability (or not, in the latter case) to set up the Half Dome with just the rain fly and footprint.

The new T series does allow you to do just that. They are great.

Rain:sunMan

mikec
01-27-2009, 21:56
I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 last summer and have used it about a half dozen times. I like that it's 2lb, 12oz and it's easy to put up. I'm not that crazy about the ventilation system, which consists of staking the rainfly farther out, or that I have to enter the tent from the narrow end.

This tent replaced a Eureka Zephyr, which later became the Backcountry1. It was a pound heavier, but it was entered via the long side and had a great venting system around the top of it. I have had that tent for 14 years and most of the 1600 miles of the AT that I have hiked.

I think that the Big Agnes is much lighter by the Eureka is better designed..

roxy33x
01-27-2009, 22:07
I myself have a henry shires rain shadow 2. It sleeps three so there is lots of extra room for my husband and our gear and it only wieghs a little over 2 pounds. Imagine how light a one or two person tent is! check it out at www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)