PDA

View Full Version : IWLS School

GeneralLee10
01-24-2009, 12:57
IWLS is an outdoor Leadership School does anyone on WB have any experiences with this School? Has anyone went to this School if so how was it and what do you think about it? I was thinking about taking one of there courses they offer. I am looking to change my career from surveying to a possible Outdoor Guide. If you would Please tell me your opinion on the School and more if you choose to do so.:) Thank You

windex
01-24-2009, 20:40
Let me start by saying that I am a teacher who has spent many of my summers leading various sorts of backpacking / wilderness adventure trips. I am also about to complete my master's in outdoor recreation.

Now... on to my opinion about what you asked:
If you are in surveying, then I am going to assume that you are enrolled in some sort of post-secondary school getting credits. At this point, I don't think that IWLS is going to use any of what you already have worked on. I would recommend looking into going to someplace like Indiana University, where you can spend a semester gaining all the skills that IWLS advertised in the CORE program that IU offers undergrads and select grad students. I believe that University of Georgia and University of Arizona have similar programs in their outdoor recreation department. You would then be working towards having a degree in something from a reputable university and gaining the skills to be a guide. That way, when you decide to settle down, you have a degree to back you up for the next career.
Just my thoughts...