PDA

View Full Version : 3D AT in your web browser!

postholer.com
01-25-2009, 02:39
Postholer maps (AT, PCT, etc) now has the ability to view maps in 3D from
your web browser! It looks just like Google Earth. Yes, the AT trail trace is on this map.

The following is a PCT example. If you don't have the Google Earth Plugin for
you web browser, you'll have the option to download it:

http://tinyurl.com/db89sj

For most folks who don't care about Google Earth, kml's, kmz's, you'll love
this. You get the experience without the hassle.

-postholer

Manwich
01-25-2009, 09:42
It looks just like Google Earth.

...it is google earth... just embedded. People would have to download the GE Plugin to use it in the first place, so why not just use GE to abuse the graphics accelleration and faster load, and provide people the KMLs for free download (like my website?)

Smile
01-25-2009, 09:46
I really like postholer.com - great journal tool! Will check this out, thanks :)

Sly
01-25-2009, 11:32
...it is google earth... just embedded. People would have to download the GE Plugin to use it in the first place, so why not just use GE to abuse the graphics accelleration and faster load, and provide people the KMLs for free download (like my website?)

Why argue? It's a plug-in, not the stand alone, and works with his website. If you want the klm's for the PCT to use in GE they're out there.

postholer.com
01-25-2009, 12:45
it is google earth... just embedded. People would have to download the GE Plugin to use it in the first place, so why not just use GE to abuse the graphics accelleration and faster load, and provide people the KMLs for free download (like my website?)

It's a very lightweight version of GE.

Most people don't want to deal with downloading software, futzing with kml's. You and I love that stuff.

This gives folks an easy way to view the trail in 3D, just like GE, but without the hassle.

Like Sly said, all this 3D coolness fits nicely with the web site, specifically the journal/map integration. A journal reader can view the journalists location in 4 different 2D map types or 3D with one mouse click. That's pretty cool!

-postholer