PDA

View Full Version : Have You Seen These?

Unclegorb
01-25-2009, 12:49
Just found these last night, thought someone else might find it useful...I've seen the tuna and salmon packets before, but not chicken. I immediatley thought TRAIL QUESIDILLAS! I can't wait to try it out.

http://www.shopfoodex.com/tyson-premium-chunk-chicken-breast-pouch-p-19212.html

Ramble~On
01-25-2009, 13:04
Yes, these have been out many moons.
A great addition to all sorts of stuff.

mudhead
01-25-2009, 13:14
Did I read the price tag correctly?

wrongway_08
01-25-2009, 13:56
WOW,, that price is over blown!

Try the BBQ, Garlic precooked chicked breast you can pick up at the food store. They are sold in simular package. Much cheaper, taste Waaaayy better (those chicken strips taste more like tuna then anything else, I assume because they are processed at the tuna plant.) and are cheaper... about 2.50 - 3.00 along the trail towns.

sarbar
01-25-2009, 16:44
http://www.shopfoodex.com/valley-fresh-free-white-chicken-pouch-p-37712.html
You can get this brand at many Target stores for under $3 a pouch. I have seen the Tyson brand at Super Walmarts in the $3 range as well.

And yes, they work great - so pick some up. You will like them.

Tinker
01-25-2009, 16:53
It's been pointed out to me that the canned stuff is a better deal per pound, that the can doesn't weigh much more than the pouch, and that the residual smell can be burned out of the can while burning the plastic and foil pouch may release toxins into the air for your fellow hikers to enjoy. As far as resealing, I don't think the bags work all that well to recommend the higher price. If odor proofing your food is important to you for animal protection, look at the Aloksack op bags at www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com). Repackage what you don't use the first night, burn out the can and use the remainder the next night.
a better link http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Packing%20Systems/Aloksak%20Bags/index.html

sarbar
01-25-2009, 17:17
As for weight....Tinker is right on that. Out of boredom one time I weighed the empty cans versus an empty pouch....and they weighed the same! They make the cans very thin now. The difference is that you do carry liquid weight in the cans - but that isn't a huge issue for many meals. If you get a brand like Valley Fresh or similar, it is packed in water and salt - you can just drain the chicken juice into your meal, it adds a lot of flavor. You can also get 3 ounce cans from Valley Fresh (in 3 packs) that work great for one person.
The secret of course is to get those with pop tops! 5 ounce cans can be had sometimes on sale for $1 a can if you watch carefully. A 5 ounce can is plenty, even for men with ravenous appetites of meat......

Remove the label at home (and recycle), you can write on the can what it is with a Sharpie. You can then flatten the can with your boot after using to save garbage space.

As for the pouches, once opened, use the chicken up at THAT meal. Don't carry it opened....or you could face food poisoning. While it is processed, it is still meat.

sheepdog
01-25-2009, 20:02
As for weight....Tinker is right on that. Out of boredom one time I weighed the empty cans versus an empty pouch....and they weighed the same! They make the cans very thin now. The difference is that you do carry liquid weight in the cans - but that isn't a huge issue for many meals. If you get a brand like Valley Fresh or similar, it is packed in water and salt - you can just drain the chicken juice into your meal, it adds a lot of flavor. You can also get 3 ounce cans from Valley Fresh (in 3 packs) that work great for one person.
The secret of course is to get those with pop tops! 5 ounce cans can be had sometimes on sale for $1 a can if you watch carefully. A 5 ounce can is plenty, even for men with ravenous appetites of meat......

Remove the label at home (and recycle), you can write on the can what it is with a Sharpie. You can then flatten the can with your boot after using to save garbage space.

As for the pouches, once opened, use the chicken up at THAT meal. Don't carry it opened....or you could face food poisoning. While it is processed, it is still meat.
You could also make a quick emergency alcohol stove out of the can if you needed one.

Tin Man
01-25-2009, 20:10
Just found these last night, thought someone else might find it useful...I've seen the tuna and salmon packets before, but not chicken. I immediatley thought TRAIL QUESIDILLAS! I can't wait to try it out.

http://www.shopfoodex.com/tyson-premium-chunk-chicken-breast-pouch-p-19212.html

i have been making trail quesidillas using chicken packets or cans for years. even tried it with the scouts and they list it as one of their favorites.

RadioFreq
01-25-2009, 20:36
And don't worry about not finishing that entire pack of chicken. After
a long day on the trail a supper of instant mashed potatoes w/ 1/2 cup of
Stovetop stuffing (chicken flavored) with all that chicken will disappear.

All mine, all gone.

:) T-minus 36 days....and counting :)

Blissful
01-25-2009, 23:50
You can also dehydrate canned chicken (only canned not freshly cooked) and it rehydrates good with a little soaking beforehand. Weighs nothing.