PDA

View Full Version : Hiking From GA Mid March 09. Need a Partner

hopey1
01-25-2009, 13:54
Okay, so I'm honest enough to say I've never been hiking or camping, but really want to do this. I may not finish, but at least I'll start. I'm not really athletically inclined so I'd like to find a patient partner who doesn't mind taking their time either. This isn't definite for me yet but was considering starting on St. Patrick's Day.:confused:

wrongway_08
01-25-2009, 14:08
Dont worry about it, you'll hook up with others on the trail. You will also have more then one person or group to hike with along the way.

Dont worry about the never camped before, you'll figure it out before Neels Gap and then you can buy what you need.

hopey1
01-25-2009, 14:15
I'm kind of a weanie lol... thanks though... I hope so

Panzer1
01-25-2009, 14:21
There will be a lot of people starting in March. Everybody will be looking for partners. If you have to start by yourself, you won't be by yourself for long.

Just be sure you have all the right gear before you start. And maybe take some long daily walks to get in shape for the trail.

Panzer

hopey1
01-25-2009, 14:34
okay that is reassuring... so I may meet someone on the first day!

KG4FAM
01-25-2009, 14:40
you will probably meet many people your first day. as for finding a long term partner/group that will probably come later but it can happen in georgia as well.

Panzer1
01-25-2009, 16:34
When you start off, hike the trail at your own pace. Don't hike longer days than you want just to keep up with other people, because that's how you get problems with your ankles and knees.

Panzer

elephanttttt
01-27-2009, 19:12
i will be hiking starting in mid/late march. give me a shot at me email if you want. my pace is pretty slow. [email protected]

kdawg
01-27-2009, 19:29
Okay, so I'm honest enough to say I've never been hiking or camping, but really want to do this. I may not finish, but at least I'll start. I'm not really athletically inclined so I'd like to find a patient partner who doesn't mind taking their time either. This isn't definite for me yet but was considering starting on St. Patrick's Day.:confused:
I am starting March 24th, I am sure I will run into you at some point... can't wait to get this trip going!!

Kanati
01-27-2009, 19:48
Dont worry about it, you'll hook up with others on the trail. You will also have more then one person or group to hike with along the way.

Dont worry about the never camped before, you'll figure it out before Neels Gap and then you can buy what you need.

This is good advice. If I can caution you about one thing, don't "lean" on someone too much, or ask too many questions. Observe others and when you see someone doing what looks right, do the likewise. You'll catch on before too many miles up the trail.

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

Nest
01-28-2009, 00:27
At The Blueberry Patch in Hiawassee on day 3 or 4 I met a couple that I hiked with every day until they got off the trail in PA. Then I hiked alone until I ran into a guy in NY that I summited Katahdin with. You will have no problem finding a good friend to hike with.

Nearly Normal
01-28-2009, 01:57
I may not finish, but at least I'll start.

That puts you a head of a lot of people.:cool:
It also means you aint a weenie.
Hike your own hike and blue blaze every chance you get.
Lots of folks out in March.
Good luck.

Lilred
01-28-2009, 11:31
You'd be surprised how many people start a thru hike that have never backpacked before.
The first time I put a backpack on was in Nov. of '03. Started at Neel Gap and went north for a week. The first two days with someone else, the rest by myself. Needless to say, the trail was really empty. If I can do it, anyone can. Have a Blast!!!