PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Galyan's Trading Company

Twofiddy
04-29-2004, 20:40
After helping countless numbers of AT hikers in the past six months and dealing with a number of political issues with management I was let go today by Galyan's Trading Company for what was written on the paper work as MISC RULE VIOLATIONS.

On Sunday I purchased a $15 box of power bars at 7:08 pm right before the store closed. I typically make a purchase like this once or twice a week of little ods and ends that I need for my own ventures.

I was informed today that since I made that sale at the last minuit on the last day of a sales contest that was decided by just a few dollars that I broke a rule. I have purcahsed thousands of dollars worth of merchandise in the store in the past six months for personal use and have given my self credit for the sale of all of those items. I influenced my own sales and therefor deserve the credit for the sales.

This company treats its employees like ****!! I influenced over $100,000 woth of sales this year for the company and this is the kind of thanks that I get.

Those of you who need knowledge based places to make purchases, know that places like Galyan's are in the market to shut smaller shops out of business and the monopolize the market.

Buy from the little guy, at least he probably treats his employees fair.

Those of you who I have helped with purchases... shop at Weasle Creek Outfitters in Front Royal now!!

Mountain Dew
04-30-2004, 07:34
Hey two-fiddy...this is way off topic but I found a full journal that you left somewhere and decided to carry it along untill I caught you. Well.....that never happened and so i sent it home with the thought that i'd mail it to you once I got home. It has sat in one of my many hiker boxers all this time out of mind. I still have it and will mail it to you free of charge if you send me your mailing address. I'll be at Trail Days as well if you'd like to make arrangements for me to find you there. Later man ......

Tabasco
04-30-2004, 08:40
Having read your piss poor attitude problem all through your journal last year, I'm not surprised.....

deeddawg
04-30-2004, 09:06
I sure don't know all the details or even both sides of the issue, but what I do know is that it is highly unlikely that any company will fire a valuable employee for some minor little thing like that. They might disqualify the person from the contest or some other thing, but a valued employee won't get canned.

What they will do, however, is use something like that as an excuse to fire someone they want to get rid of but cannot easily fire otherwise. With fear of lawsuits, companies tend to avoid firing people for subjective reasons which could be debated; instead they'll wait (if they can) for a clear-cut objective reason such as "late to work xxx times" or "broke xxx rule". Then the firing, on paper at least, becomes a factual issue and not as easily brought as a court case.

Twofiddy, look beyond the box of powerbars for the reason they let you go -- that was just a means to an end, they most likely sent you packing for some other reason(s).

Tater
04-30-2004, 10:52
Employers are s**t, Twofiddy. Not all, but many. You were unlucky enough to work at that Galyan's.

This may not help much, but if there's any way to become self-employed, it's well worth it. I don't get rich at what i do, but I never have to put my life in the palms of someone else.

Thanks for the tip, I'll avoid that shop in the future.