PDA

View Full Version : 3-day section hike- anybody with a preference?

le loupe
01-25-2009, 17:05
My brother and I are looking at a 3-day section in NY of 25-30 miles. This area is right between us, him much farther north and me much farther south. I've identified 3 legs that seem to fit the bill:

Wiley Shelter (NY/Conn border) to RPH Shelter/Taconic pkwy, hiking south - 26 miles
Bear Mountain Inn to RPH Shelter/Taconic pkwy- 27 miles
Bear Mountain Inn to Lake Road, hiking south (near Wildcat shelter) - 29 miles

Anybody have a preference as to what they think is better? Or know anything I should know?

Thanks for your help

Tinker
01-25-2009, 17:15
Send a PM to sasquatch2014. He's a maintainer of the northernmost section, lives in the area, loves to help other hikers out with shuttles, etc, and might want to hang out or hike with you. I've done from the NJ line to just shy of Bear Mountain. None of it's particularly interesting in the winter. Ridges, bare trees and snow. Harriman's Lemon Squeezer is somewhat interesting, though. Exercise, fresh air, relative solitude and good company are the best reasons to hike this time of year, imo.:)

le loupe
01-25-2009, 17:52
None of it's particularly interesting in the winter. Ridges, bare trees and snow. :)

Thinking about mid-to-late April. Sorry forgot to mention that.

vtdrifter
01-25-2009, 17:58
harriman state park through the bear mountain bridge was my favorite part of ny, so that has my vote

Feral Bill
01-25-2009, 19:36
On a three day you could hike across Harriman on the AT and back to your start by any of several routes, if you would like. It is a beautiful park.

le loupe
01-25-2009, 19:53
On a three day you could hike across Harriman on the AT and back to your start by any of several routes, if you would like. It is a beautiful park.

I'll check that out

Manwich
01-25-2009, 22:30
Start at Elk Penn, Stay at wildcat shelter night one, wawayanda night 2, get back in your car on rt 94's parking area on day 3

le loupe
01-25-2009, 23:22
Start at Elk Penn, Stay at wildcat shelter night one, wawayanda night 2, get back in your car on rt 94's parking area on day 3

While this looks like a nice stretch, It seems like the first two legs are a little too long, about 11 miles. I could shorten the first leg by going to Orange Tpk.

In fall we hiked the CT section and after 11 miles we were tapped out. Granted, our packs were too heavy (i've cut 20lbs since then, LOL) and the terrain there is a bit more difficult but we'll still be 40 lbs overweight and won't have any legs.

LIhikers
01-26-2009, 16:37
I'd suggest you get the maps for Harriman State Park from the NY/NJ Trail Conference www.nynjtc.org/store/nonmember/itm00010.htm (http://www.nynjtc.org/store/nonmember/itm00010.htm) and put together a large loop hike in the park, that incorporates the AT. That way you'll finish where you start and won't need to find a shuttle back to your car. Plus, that time of year there should be plenty of water in the park so you won't have to carry very much, it's heavy.