PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad? Ground Cloth?

Mrpokey
01-25-2009, 20:28
I keep ready post about sleeping pads and ground cloths, what exactly are they, where do you get them? I heard someone say go to Lowes and get a Tyvek thing and cut to size. I'm new to these ideas and would like to try these out. Thanks!

Arizona
01-25-2009, 20:41
A sleeping pad is meant to cushion your body and to provide insulation under your sleeping bag when you sleep. Walmart has foam pads that run about $6 to $12. You can also get inflatable pads at any outfitter. They are much more comfortable.
As far as ground cloths, they are any material that you lay on the ground to keep your sleeping bag or tent from getting wet or dirty from the ground. Tyvek is used in building houses and you can usually get a scrap for free. Some people use plastic paining drop cloths or mylar space blankets. The space blancket only weighs an ounce or two.

rpenczek
01-25-2009, 20:42
Ground cloths (tyvek or plastic, or other materials) are used under tents (floor saver), under you and your pad and bag in a shelter to keep thing cleaner (shelters are dirty).

A sleeping pad is just that, a pad that provides a little comfort in the way of padding, but more important is an insulator from the ground. Even in the summer, the ground can suck heat out of your body.

For sleeping pads, most folks use a ridge rest made my therm-a-rest for about $30. Or a blue foam pad from Wally World (AKA Wal-Mart) for about $5. Any closed cell foam pad will do. Some folks will use an air mattres (not the cheap PVC ones for the swimming pool - no insulating quality), but a air mattres with built in insulation. Brands like Big Agnus, or therm-a-rest prolite.

Hope this answers your question.

johnnybgood
01-25-2009, 20:47
Sleeping pad is for comfort and insulation . Tyvek is a vapor barrier . Walmart sells classic blue foam pad aprox. $8 . Don't waste the money on vapor barrier , plastic tarp 1/2 piece will do .

Arizona
01-25-2009, 20:55
under you and your pad and bag in a shelter to keep thing cleaner (shelters are dirty).

Good point. I saw people in the shelters who were not using ground cloths. Their sleeping bags were filthy.

JAK
01-26-2009, 00:02
If you go with a wide pad you may not need a ground sheet.

Mrpokey
01-26-2009, 09:17
For sleeping pads, most folks use a ridge rest made my therm-a-rest for about $30. Or a blue foam pad from Wally World (AKA Wal-Mart) for about $5. Any closed cell foam pad will do.

What department in Walmart is this in?

mister krabs
01-26-2009, 10:18
For sleeping pads, most folks use a ridge rest made my therm-a-rest for about $30. Or a blue foam pad from Wally World (AKA Wal-Mart) for about $5. Any closed cell foam pad will do.

What department in Walmart is this in?

camping, next to the sleeping bags.

Blissful
01-26-2009, 14:31
I liked Tyvek to cut down on dirt and debris on my Big Agnes insulated mat on shelter floors and under my tent. Weighs nothing.

The pad you choose to also depends on your comfort level, side sleeper issues etc. I use BA for comfort and side sleeper. My son, who is front and back sleeper, did fine with the z rest.