PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Trail

Kanati
01-25-2009, 23:01
When I was returning today from carrying The Only Wanderer to his parents in KS, I noticed a sign indicating the trailhead for the Ozark Trail in the Mark Twain NF. Can anyone enlighten me about this trail?

Smile
01-25-2009, 23:35
It's not very well marked, or used in most areas. Very, very hot in the summer and lots of bees in the fall. There is a nice 30 mile section along the river that is nice for an in and out, but otherwise is almost a bit like bushwacking in spots.

You can read more here: the ozark trail (http://www.ozarktrail.com/)

The Solemates
01-26-2009, 10:54
one day you'll be able to walk from st louis all the way to close to tulsa along the ozark trail, buffalo river trail, and ozark highlands trails.

Gumbi
01-26-2009, 13:26
I grew up in the ozarks, just inside the Mark Twain National forest. There are some pretty cool places to see in the Ozarks, but don't expect any spectacular views. I never did hike the Ozark trail, though. You can expect lots of hills, it's pretty rugged terrain in most places there, but without any real mountains. It gets very hot and humid in the summer with mosquitoes and biting flies and in some places there are thick patches of gnats that like to fly into your eyes, nose and mouth. Ticks can be pretty thick too at times.

Watch for copperheads! They are very common in the ozarks.

My suggestion would be to go in the early spring before the bugs and snakes come out. Or take lots of bug spray and sleep in a tent!

In the late summer to early fall, spiders weave their webs between the trees.

Ok, I have to tell this funny story about camping at Lake Noblett. My wife from Iowa and I had just been married for two weeks. I was going to take her camping for the first time there at the campground at Noblett. Now, she had some misconceptions about what camping would be like. Since she was from Iowa, she was thinking that we would camp in a nice, flat, wide open field. Nope.:D We started driving through the woods and down into the hills to get to the Lake and around the curves to get to the campsites. The campsites were like little cul-de-sacs of clearings in the woods, with steep hills on all sides of us. It was getting dark fast and I had to pitch the tent in the dark by flashlight. I'm glad I practiced that ahead of time! She started freaking out because of how dark and "closed in" the area was. Needless to say, she didn't get much sleep that night, and she didn't let me get much that night, either!

I'm just glad that I didn't tell her that there are bears and mountain lions in the area (they aren't common, but they are there)!

Gumbi
01-26-2009, 13:38
I take back what I said. Apparently the Ridge Runner trail is a part of the Ozark Trail, and I have hiked on it. I lived in Willow Springs, MO

hikingtime
01-26-2009, 16:09
Lots and lots of ticks on this trail.

Erin
01-26-2009, 22:19
I live in Springfield, Mo and have hiked part of the Ozark trail and the Ridge Runner trail and most of the wilderness or conservation areas in the true Ozarks. If you are interested, there are some very good bits. Not as dramatic as Arkansas or the AT, but a nice uncrowded trail, with nice camping spots, water and a chance to work on your compass skills and hiking. The best times, as stated above, are spring and fall. Summer is miserable and the trail gets overgrown. In Spring, watch for spring flows. Once, near Noblet, we had to disrobe and cross a creek in freezing waist deep water on a pack trip. Wear safey orange in deer and turkey season. If you get as far as Taum Sauk on the RR/Ozark trail, know that there was a dam break up there years ago and check before you go since it is on the verge of reopening. If you are in the Ozarks area at all, check out the Irish Wilderness ( nice 20 mile loop) and Devil's Backbone area east of Noblet. Also, the Roby area in Texas county (another nice two day loop.) The Missouri Ozarks is not as challenging as the AT or Arkansas, but there is beautiful hiking there and no crowds at all. None. A few people on horses. Some of the trails are challenging with hills with beautiful scenery and river overlooks. Very poorly marked too. Blazes burned by fires or ice storms that killed the trees and brought them down. The only time I have really used my compass is in Missouri. Yes, the ticks are bad, as they are everywhere. And the copperheads? Never seen one except on the trail here on town. I almost hate to post this. We have great hiking here. But one has to find it. It is not advertised on the internet. It is not easy to find. But it is there. And worth the trip.

Kanati
01-26-2009, 22:32
Thanks you Erin and others for the information. May check into that soon. I want to do some shakedowns before I return to ME to finish the AT this summer.

The Solemates
01-27-2009, 10:13
also be sure to check out nearby elephant rocks state park for an interesting find!

Smile
01-27-2009, 10:49
Oh yeah, completely forgot about the Tick scourge! Seriously, this is the tickiest trail i have ever been on! Not just a few, they are THICK out in Missouri, and this is not a really tidy trail in most parts, you will be up against the brush on the sides almost constantly. The AT ticks are tolerable :)

bustedchucks
01-27-2009, 20:20
There is an article in the Oct. 2008 National Geographic on the Ozark Trail, might be worth checking out if you can.

puddingboy
01-27-2009, 21:48
There is an article in the Oct. 2008 National Geographic on the Ozark Trail, might be worth checking out if you can.

I think that article was on the ozark highlands trail

jcramin
01-28-2009, 09:34
I have done this trail before, well I did it about 30 years ago before the Ozark Trail was a thought. I did it back when it was just Taum Sauk Trail. I plan on taking my son and doing a couple sections of the Ozark Trail this year.

The Solemates
01-28-2009, 09:56
I think that article was on the ozark highlands trail

yes it was

Erin
01-28-2009, 22:11
Yes, the OT is ticky. But everything around here is. I have to pull ticks off just from our municipal nature center trail. I think Arkansas is worse. I have actually pulled ticks off down there in below 32 degree weather which amazed me. As Soulmates suggested, Elephant Rocks is pretty neat, especially for families. It is between Ironton and Potosi just off the highway.

The Solemates
01-29-2009, 10:53
Yes, the OT is ticky. But everything around here is. I have to pull ticks off just from our municipal nature center trail. I think Arkansas is worse. I have actually pulled ticks off down there in below 32 degree weather which amazed me. As Soulmates suggested, Elephant Rocks is pretty neat, especially for families. It is between Ironton and Potosi just off the highway.

i've hiked both states. i agree; I think AR is worse for ticks.

generoll
01-29-2009, 20:50
in general, how are the Ozarks for hiking and backpacking? What's Winter hiking like? There's a possibility that I might be moving to that area.

Erin
01-29-2009, 23:51
Generoll, I have not hiked overnight in January or Febuary but Tim Ernst, who has written alot of guidebooks on Northern Arkansas, says that time of year is the best. We go in October-November and March. Still see some frozen waterfalls. No crowds whatsoever except deer hunters in the fall. As you can see from the above posts, summer is not recommended. Both Mo and Ark are broke so the trails are not well maintained, very overgrown in the summer and not well marked at any time and summer is so buggy and very humid.

LBJ
01-30-2009, 00:27
No one mentioned the chiggers that one encounters in Missouri in the summer. IMHO, they are worse than the ticks. Another beautiful section of the OT is the Rocky Creek section a little east of Emminence, close to the Current River. Rocky Falls is one of the most beautiful places in MO.

Ickuss
01-30-2009, 01:06
I have to disagree on the Mo. trail maintainance. I live in Mo. and this is the first I have heard about the state being broke, maybe a little budget tightening like everyone else. Besides, the Ozark Trail is maintained by a wonderful group of dedicated volunteers who take great pride in their trail work. I have never seen it overgrown and not very well maintained. The State of Mo. has a unique sales tax (which is put on the ballot and approved by voters every few years) that is dedicated only for the maintenance and upkeep of it's parks. Not every state offers this to their voters. Our state park trails are always well maintained. One of these parks (Hawn State Park) has the beautiful 10mi Whispering Pines Trail which Backpacker magazine did an article on as a midwest must see trail. As far as trails being overgrown I have seen this in the states conservation area lands. Yes, the bugs,heat and especially the ticks are bad in the summer but the OT has it's worthwhile challenges if you can do the right sections in the spring and fall. I will be looking forward to the Ozark Highlands Trail with it's challenges this spring and GSMNP AT section this fall.

Gumbi
01-30-2009, 08:37
Winters are fairly mild in southern Missouri. The typical winter day has a high in the lower- to mid 30's with the low in the twenty's. Yes, it sometimes gets alot colder than that, but yes, it is often much warmer than that, even in the middle of winter. I can remember a couple years during Christmas break, being outside in short-sleeve t-shirts... with highs in the mid sixty's!
I can remember a beautiful hike right after an 8" snowfall (which doesn't happen very often at all). My younger brother and I followed the creek in the back pasture several miles downstream. It was unbelieveably awesome! We found some shallow caves with ice overhangs that we didn't know existed. We also found the remains of an old dam, too. And we didn't have to worry about chiggers, ticks, or copperheads. Winter is a great time to hike in the ozarks!

The Solemates
01-30-2009, 10:27
winter is a great time to hike in the ozarks...especially after a recent snow storm. but spring after heavy rains is by far the best time. the creeks and rivers in the ozarks have limestone beds, so their water after rain is a deep, rich, heavy turquoise color. not to mention there are A LOT of creeks in the ozarks. its strange though because they usually are only flowing well in the spring. they dry up completely in the summer and are only a trickle in the fall/winter.

Erin
01-30-2009, 22:59
Icksuss, sorry to disagree with you, but I live down here, work for the state of Missouri and the State is broke. Just about every agency got cut in the new budget announced on Tuesday. That is not to knock the excellent volunteers. The state parks are pristine. You live in Boone county. The MKT, the Katy, excellent trails and well maintained despite the floods and washouts. The conservation areas in SW Mo have dealt with cuts and will continue to do so. Plus you probably know the camping and picnic areas on Tablerock Lake near Branson and Kimberling City were destroyed by flooding and closed the entire season last year. It will take alot of money to put them back together. This is a big tourism area and will be a priority. My experience on the southern Missouri trails is take your compass, be prepared to use it and don't be surprised that some trail signs have been burned or the trees down. That is a reality, but really no big deal. We have had two huge ice storrms down here, in January 2007 and last week. The state will use its limited resources to fix up the tourism ares, which is smart, the state campgrounds, not the little used but very nice off the beaten path trails in SW. MO.
To Soulmates: Rocky Falls near Eminence is beautiful. Easy to access.

Erin
01-30-2009, 23:17
I apoligize to you I. I had your home county incorrect. You live in Boonville, Fayette County not Boone county-Columbia. A very scenic section of the Katy tail. And a very beautiful area of our state of Missouri.