PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Grand Mesa...

slamajama
01-26-2009, 09:16
I have purchaced a Kelty Grand Mesa and took it (in my backyard) for a test run during the last minor snow fall, and noticed some ice beads on the seams. I checked the paper work that I recieved and it didnt state that I needed to seal the seams.
I am a search engine dyslexic, what sealant can I use for this tent? and where can I purchase?
ty in advance

mudhead
01-26-2009, 09:30
Campmor shows that as a fully factory taped seam tent. Condensation?

If I bought a taped tent, and it leaked, I would return the tent. Just me. Once it warms up, you can set up in the backyard, a spot that pools water, and put the garden hose to it.

hikingshoes
01-26-2009, 09:49
im looking at buying that tent.

slamajama
01-26-2009, 10:22
Campmor shows that as a fully factory taped seam tent. Condensation?

If I bought a taped tent, and it leaked, I would return the tent. Just me. Once it warms up, you can set up in the backyard, a spot that pools water, and put the garden hose to it.
it may be that im overly cautious but it was dry inside and the beads whr on the outside...

hiker ugpm...

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2009, 10:24
McNett makes seam sealer for both coated fabrics(seam sure) and sil-nylon(sil net). Any outfitter, brick-and-mortar or online should have it.

Edit: It won't keep water from collecting or beading up on the OUTSIDE of the tent though...

buz
01-26-2009, 10:54
Slama and Hiking,

You may also want to look at the Teton 4, basically the same tent, priced the same at Campmor anyway. Teton has smaller vestibule, slightly lighter, and higher sides for more ventilation. Our scout troop has both of these models. They are good tents, can't go wrong with either one. If for warmer weather use, I would recommend the Teton, as it vents better.

slamajama
01-26-2009, 11:05
McNett makes seam sealer for both coated fabrics(seam sure) and sil-nylon(sil net). Any outfitter, brick-and-mortar or online should have it.

Edit: It won't keep water from collecting or beading up on the OUTSIDE of the tent though...
then am i being overly cautious, and this happens on outside on a tent like this?

thxs buz

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2009, 13:05
Water and especially ice(which tends to grow as it can't run off once it freezes) will collect on the external untaped seams/sewing/threads as they offer a rougher and more irregular surface to stick to than fabric. Microscopic particles of water actually freeze inside the thread strands and then start to grow. The seam tape is what prevents water in liquid form from leaking through clear to the inside--but it's still there. On untaped seams, seam sealer is what prevents the thread from wicking the water through the thread holes in the seam. You shouldn't absolutely need seam sealer on new taped seams, but from a real world standpoint it couldn't hurt. Ultimately as the tent ages you likely will need to repair the seam tape(McNett makes stuff for this too) as it tends to pucker and loosen particularly at stress points especially if used in extreme temperatures, sun exposure, etc. Often it's just easier to seam seal the entire tent at this point than to worry about where the next leak might occur. Eventually if the tape wears and loosens badly enough, you can just peel it all off and seam seal the entire tent.

slamajama
01-26-2009, 14:26
4eyed as good as a reply a person could get, ty...i get it now
last ques...can i/why cant i use kitchen & bath silicone?

hikingshoes
02-01-2009, 02:12
buz,Thanks for the INFO..Ill look into that.Charles