PDA

View Full Version : Starting Weather NOBO

ATX-Hiker
01-26-2009, 14:11
I start NOBO a month from today. I've seen the east coast has been getting hit with some pretty cold weather.

I was wondering if there is anybody that lives near the start or has been out for a section in GA, TN, or NC recently? What were the conditions on the trail like?

I know a lot can change in a month, just getting antsy to start.

Spogatz
01-26-2009, 14:17
In the past 2 weeks there has been a little of everything on the Georgia section of the trial. A couple of nice 50 deg days but mostly a little on the windy side and several snowy days. Nothing to deep, just a nice white blanket in some areas. Nights have been running from around 0 to 35. Your really not going to know anything until the week you leave and even then it could change on you fast.

Cabin Fever
01-26-2009, 14:19
Was on Round Bald in the Roan Highlands of northeast Tennessee two weeks ago and the weather interesting. Absolutely clear as a bell, but the wind was rocking over the top of the balds at no less than 40mph. Any moisture at all and visibility would have been less than 10 or 20 yards.

Blissful
01-26-2009, 14:37
Just be prepared for anything - cold, warm, snow, rain. Make sure you have gear that can take single digits if needed (liner, 15 degree bag, etc). It does get that cold in March.

Most of all have a great time!!! And just go with the punches.

ATX-Hiker
01-26-2009, 14:49
The nights were what I've been worrying about. I've got a 15* Helium bag, but the highs around here have been in the 70's and lows only in the 40's. So no real chance to test the bag out. I was looking at the Sea to Summit Reactor liner, it seems add the most warmth, or at least claim to.

Anybody use a liner?
Do they add much warmth or just weight to your pack?

Blissful
01-26-2009, 15:01
I used one my entire hike and my son carried one for half of it. I used the cocoon silk liner and did add warmth to mine (I ahd a 15 degree bag and I slept cold). Some don't like because they twist, etc, which they can when you are trying to get settled. But I am an active sleeper and no problem once I was settled in my bag. But hey, if its cold out and you can get some sleep with it, carry it, at least until Roan Mtn., IMO
Make sure you have a good sleeping pad too. And tenting adds warmth.

You'll do great. :)

jaywalke
01-26-2009, 15:09
The nights were what I've been worrying about. I've got a 15* Helium bag

Anybody use a liner?
Do they add much warmth or just weight to your pack?

I have a silk liner, but rarely carry it. I get all twisted up in it. I doubt the rated additional 9 degrees of warmth, too. It is, however, great for hosteling.

You'll be better off wearing a warm hat to bed, along with your clean(est) socks and long johns. Maybe light gloves if you need them. One item I always carry in cold weather is a simple fleece neck gaiter. It weighs two ounces, and adds a lot of warmth as a "plug" for the sleeping bag collar. It's also easy to breathe through on those cold nights when you can't cinch the hood tight enough to keep out all the cold.

Another way to sleep warm is to eat. Have a Snickers or chunk of salami right before bed, and let that fat burn all night. Hot chocolate just makes me have to get up in the middle of the night, which sucks in the single digits.

ChinMusic
01-26-2009, 15:15
The nights were what I've been worrying about. I've got a 15* Helium bag....
With a liner and clothes you should be "OK" to a bit under 10.

Bottom line: If you get to Neels (for example) and the weather reports are nutzo, just pull off for a couple days.

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2009, 20:09
You're going to be damn cold and wishing global warming will hurry up and get here. I've been to Springer three times, but never that early, yet I've seen snow and ice everytime. Last year it was zero degrees on Springer (early March), very windy and very miserable.

I left in April 2007 and still saw snow/ice http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17901&c=member&imageuser=6936

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2009, 20:12
Don't worry, 26 February in Georgia will likely be a lot friendlier than 26 January.

(And 16 March will be nicer still, but let's not go there!!).

I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck and have a great hike.

goduke
01-26-2009, 20:23
I live in NC, and we have had some really cold weather and snow. Not too bad right now. It is all about"acclimation". Coming from 70 degrees to 20 degrees takes some
getting used to.
Luck

Tinker
01-26-2009, 20:34
When I hiked Georgia, from March 6 to March 17, 2006, the highs were in the 70s and the lows in the upper 20s. It got colder later.

Kanati
01-26-2009, 23:17
The good thing about cold spells in late Feb thru March is that they don't last long like they do in January. If it turns cold, just put on more clothes and zip the bag up as tight as possible around your neck so none of your body heat can escape. Keep a pair of medium weight socks just for sleeping. Make sure they are not hiking socks so you won't be tempted to wear them for anything but sleeping.

I like the suggestion on the neck gaiter. Definitely going to include one of those in my pack.

Happy hiking. :sun