PDA

View Full Version : N GA Forest Service Roads

bigben
01-26-2009, 15:30
I might find myself in North Georgia the 2nd week of March. If so, I was thinking about maybe taking a quick hike up Springer or maybe to Three Forks and Longs Creek Falls. I've been to both before, but in mid-May. Now, I know asking about weather in N Ga for the 2nd week in March is a waste of time because it could be anything, so I'll ask about the forest service roads instead. I have a big truck, a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with the Z71 offraod package and actually know how to drive in snow and on muddy, rutted gravel crap roads. But, what can I expect down there? I assume with all the thruhikers taking off around then that FS42 is probably easily passible to Springer, but hows the roads to Three Forks? How much snow and ice can one generally expect to encounter there on the 2nd week of May?

Bigben

max patch
01-26-2009, 15:52
No snow or ice in May.

Roads are good; normal passenger cars can travel with no problems. High clearance not needed.

max patch
01-26-2009, 15:55
Looks like you have a typo in your last sentence.

I wouldn't worry about March either. Possible snow but very unlikely.

bigben
01-26-2009, 16:10
You're right, I meant March. I'll not worry about it then. Thanks.

FatMan
01-26-2009, 16:43
You will have no problems.

MoBill122
01-26-2009, 21:59
Don't think you'll have any problems on those roads. I drive an F350 4-door to those places all the time.

I'll be hiking Three Forks to Cooper this weekend I hope, I'll let you know when I get back.

Also plan to hike the BMT from Three Forks to TN in mid March, if you want to try to meet up or something.

Tennessee Viking
01-26-2009, 22:19
I might find myself in North Georgia the 2nd week of March. If so, I was thinking about maybe taking a quick hike up Springer or maybe to Three Forks and Longs Creek Falls. I've been to both before, but in mid-May. Now, I know asking about weather in N Ga for the 2nd week in March is a waste of time because it could be anything, so I'll ask about the forest service roads instead. I have a big truck, a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with the Z71 offraod package and actually know how to drive in snow and on muddy, rutted gravel crap roads. But, what can I expect down there? I assume with all the thruhikers taking off around then that FS42 is probably easily passible to Springer, but hows the roads to Three Forks? How much snow and ice can one generally expect to encounter there on the 2nd week of May?

BigbenThe only thing I can say about GA forest roads. BIG GRAVEL. Truck tread will do fine, but with car tires take it slow. And you will definitely need your truck to get to Three Forks from 42. In March, I couldn't get my car after a half a mile after the turnoff because it was so rutted and rocky. It may have changed conditions since then.

In 08, I saw no snow anywhere on 42 or on trail from the Springer to Hawk Mountain road crossings. It was more rainy than anything. Usually the Georgia heat takes care of the snow real quick.

Egads
01-26-2009, 22:32
I've driven to Springer & three forks in a Nissan Quest, a VW Passat, & a Honda Element. I've made the trips several times this year. Just take the big rocks slow and do not drive directly over the high ones lest you endanger your oil pan. But, I do not need to tell you that since you have a big truck:rolleyes:

take-a-knee
01-26-2009, 22:35
Georgia in May...better make sure your AC is charged up!

paradoxb3
01-27-2009, 14:08
Last summer I rode my motorcycle (a big Suzuki C50 cruiser -- NOT a dirtbike) up service rd 58 to three forks with absolutely no trouble (excluding having to wash it when i got back home). Laugh if you want... I'm pretty sure a few ppl camping did on the way in/out. :D

HnH
01-27-2009, 14:59
I grew up about 15 mintues from springer and three forks. My dad worked for the forest service in GA years ago and he took me on almost every road they had. You will have zero problems reaching springer and/or three forks. Three forks (driving time) is only 10-15minutes past the springer exit. But being from the area I would not leave any car overnight at three forks. There are some real characters in this area.