PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag question

hootyhoo
01-26-2009, 15:42
My brother asked me find out about the Kelty light year xp 20. A synthetic bag - thats all I know.
He will most likely use it from 20 to 35 degrees.
Any experience with this one. Is the weight accurate - is the temp rating accurate. It will be a new online purchase. Site unseen. He wants synthetic. The only online reviews I could find are for the Light Year 25 degree and it got slammed, hard.

max patch
01-26-2009, 15:49
It only has a hip zipper.

I bought a couple of the kelty lightyears for the kids from sac and returned them because of this feature. Hip zipper -- regardless of the price -- is a deal breaker for me.

dradius
01-26-2009, 15:51
I have the xp 20*. The rating might be slightly exaggerated, but not much. I've had it out in temps below 20, and it got a little cold but nothing crazy. I'm also a cold sleeper though. I think using it in 20-35 for a normal person is fine. It's very light, compacts nicely, and can be had brand new for about 90 bucks.

dradius
01-26-2009, 15:53
Yeah, it doesn't unzip all the way, but goes down probably half way. You can also unzip the bottom to get air to your feet if needed.

boarstone
01-26-2009, 16:21
Shop www.rockcreek.com (http://www.rockcreek.com) Look at their bags for the same price, may be able to get a colder one at same price. Make sure full zipper, that half one/hip is a pain! I'd stay away from Kelty for backpacking, I've had'em from 20-35..rating is WAY OFF! More like 50-60...

hootyhoo
01-26-2009, 18:21
Any other synthetic suggestions - money is a factor - but so is useability.

boarstone
01-27-2009, 09:58
I just bought a Marmot women's 15 deg from rock creek for $98, reg. price $165. Check'em out, campmor, Sierra trading post, remember, the Big Agnes bags don't have insulation on bottom because they have incorporated a pad sleeve in it. If using a pad fine, if not, not so fine. Try to get lowest rating you can afford now so it will be usable for ALL expected temps he'll be hiking in now and in the future. Better to be too warm than not warm enough. "If you don't have it you can't put it on". Easier to cool off than to warm up.