PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes tent suggestions.

anacondatm
01-27-2009, 01:10
Hey - I'm looking to pickup a Big Agnes tent in the coming weeks and was hoping for a little advice.

I'm pretty much down to the Seedhouse SL, or the Emerald Mountain SL and then from there, either one or two man in size. I'm pretty sure the one man is big enough - however i'm curious to know if anyone has found it too small? Any comparisons on which is easier to setup of the two tents?

All in all i've seen great reviews of these two tents. Pound for pound and total floor space, it's tops. Are there any downsides?

Any help would be great!

gearfreak
01-27-2009, 07:45
I've been using a Seedhouse SL2 for a couple of years and absolutely love it. The SL 1 is too confining for my tastes. The difference in weight is worth having the ability to bring my pack inside when the weather is foul but not giving up any space. :cool:

Montana Mac
01-27-2009, 08:07
The SL2 is the tent of my choice for the reasons Gearfreak listed. My brother did a lot of research and the sq ft : weight ratio was the best for the SL2

skinewmexico
01-27-2009, 10:05
The 1 person I saw at REI reminded me of a coffin.

RITBlake
01-27-2009, 10:17
How tall are you?

I own, use, and love the SL-1. I actually set it up in my apartment last to clean the cobwebs out for an upcoming trip and forgot how easy it is to pop up. You can have it up in 90 seconds and it holds up great in the weather.

I'm 6' tall and I can sit up in the tent and when I'm lying flat there is still enough room at the end of the tent to stow gear.

For the average backpacker it should be plenty of room. The vestibule is big enough for boots and a internal frame pack (I use mine as a sleeping pad)

Good luck.

Hey - I'm looking to pickup a Big Agnes tent in the coming weeks and was hoping for a little advice.

I'm pretty much down to the Seedhouse SL, or the Emerald Mountain SL and then from there, either one or two man in size. I'm pretty sure the one man is big enough - however i'm curious to know if anyone has found it too small? Any comparisons on which is easier to setup of the two tents?

All in all i've seen great reviews of these two tents. Pound for pound and total floor space, it's tops. Are there any downsides?

Any help would be great!

KG4FAM
01-27-2009, 10:27
I have a Seedhouse SL1 and it is a great tent with a lot of space. If I had the choice between the two I would get the Emerald Mountain because of the side entry and a high vent. The doghouse door and no ventilation of the Seedhouse kind of sucks.

Mocs123
01-27-2009, 11:39
Both the Seedhouse SL1 and Emerald Mountain SL1 have 22 sf of living space, that is more than almost any solo tent, it is plenty of room.

snowhoe
01-27-2009, 11:45
The seedhouse is my favorite tent. It sometimed feels small but the light weight makes up for that.

anacondatm
01-27-2009, 12:19
WOW Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I gotta admit , i'm leaning towards the Emerald, just because I like the side door.

Is it any more of a pain in the backside to setup than the SL?

FamilyGuy
01-27-2009, 18:12
I posted this on another thread:

Two new Big Agnes Solo tents available in less than a month. The first is identical in layout to the Emerald Mountain but with lighter materials called the Copper Spur 1. It will weigh 3 pounds even fully packed or 2 lbs, 11 ounces base or 12oz less than the Emerald. $349.

The second is the Fly Creek 1. Similar in shape to the Seedhouse SL1 but with less height at the foot end and a reconfigured pole, it will weigh 2lbs, 3oz packed or 1lb, 14oz base trail weight or 8 oz less than the SL1 Seedhouse. $299.

Personally, I would wait.

RITBlake
01-27-2009, 22:49
The second is the Fly Creek 1. Similar in shape to the Seedhouse SL1 but with less height at the foot end and a reconfigured pole, it will weigh 2lbs, 3oz packed or 1lb, 14oz base trail weight or 8 oz less than the SL1 Seedhouse. $299.

Personally, I would wait.

That sounds like the business right there. Any demo photos of the Fly Creek?

Johnny Thunder
01-27-2009, 23:11
Wait and check out the Copper Spur. The two person version is probably the best of the lightweight 2 person tents out there.

Egads
01-27-2009, 23:20
Any demo photos of the Fly Creek?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/5/390165-large_flycreek.jpg

http://www.trailspace.com/images/blog/2008/08/10/big-agnes-fly-creek-ultralight.jpg

RITBlake
01-27-2009, 23:40
http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/5/390165-large_flycreek.jpg

http://www.trailspace.com/images/blog/2008/08/10/big-agnes-fly-creek-ultralight.jpg

hot damn!

Tinker
01-28-2009, 00:03
WOW Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I gotta admit , i'm leaning towards the Emerald, just because I like the side door.

Is it any more of a pain in the backside to setup than the SL?

The three tents I currently own all have side doors - makes for easier entry and exit. No Big Agnes, but I'm convinced of the side entry advantage.
My hammocks on the other hand..........;)

Mocs123
01-28-2009, 00:12
Be aware that unless they changed it from the prototype, the fly creek is 6" shorter than the seedhouse

FamilyGuy
01-28-2009, 00:28
Hey Mocs, I am looking at the 2009 catalogue right now. 86" usable with an additional 3 inches of length to a point like the SL1. It has the EXACT same footprint. If you fit in the SL1, you will fit in the Fly Creek.

Tinker
01-28-2009, 00:45
I like the design of this tent better than the Seedhouse 1.
http://www.summithut.com/products/eos-1-person-tent38/

I don't know about the workmanship or materials, though.

RITBlake
01-28-2009, 02:24
If anyone from Big Agnes reads this thread and wants a field tester for the new Fly Creek tent let me know! :)

Jorel
01-28-2009, 08:43
MSR Hubba is much better choice, imo. my son carried a seedhouse on his 2006 thru and said it was not as good as my Hubba once he tried my Hubba out.

FamilyGuy
01-28-2009, 11:15
The problem with the Hubba is twofold - tall and narrow. It will catch the wind in exposed areas and it is only 26 inches wide (compared to 43 for the SL1), barely wider than a regular thermarest (22"). It also packs much larger due to the length of the poles and weighs more with less total room. If you are narrow or are set on a side entry, then the Hubba may be a good choice.

Mocs123
01-28-2009, 12:09
The Hubba is a good tent in many ways, but it was just too narrow for me plus it is heavier than the Seedhouse SL1.

Family Guy - According to the information I have the length of the Seedhouse SL1 is 90" while the length of the Sly Creek UL1 is 86". Did they change the angles at the foot end of the tent to keep useful space the same? I am 6 feet tall and don't have tons of extra space at the end of the tent whwn using a 2.5" think Exped Downmat and my puffy 0* bag.

FamilyGuy
01-28-2009, 12:46
Hey there - the dimensions are as follows:

Height at head = 38"
Height at foor = 22"
Width at front = 42"
Width at foot = 30"

The floorplan comes to a 'point' like the SL1:

Length = 86" PLUS additional 2" length for the 'point' or triangle at the end (I think you know what I mean as you own an SL1) = 88" total or 2" less than the SL1.

Hope this helps. You should be fine as I am 6'1" and use a 'long' bag and can fit without issue.

I have been told that we can expect them to start delivering in February to retail stores.

FG

Screech
01-31-2009, 01:39
The Hubba can be quite heavy in comparison though.