View Full Version : N.C. Mountains-to-Sea Trail gains land in 3 counties

FritztheCat
01-27-2009, 11:20
Thought this was pretty cool!

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/nc-mountainstosea-trail-gains-land-3-counties

The Associated Press
© January 27, 2009
RALEIGH, N.C.
North Carolina's Mountains-to-Sea Trail grew a bit in the past two months.
In December and January, the trail acquired land in Guilford, Orange and Johnston counties. Trail executive director Kate Dixon says the acquisitions are especially helpful because groups have been working hard to acquire land in the heavily populated Triangle and Triad areas.
The acquisitions are 250 acres in Guilford County; 65 acres in Orange; and 330 acres in Johnston.
The trail is a state park that eventually will stretch about 1,000 miles from Clingmans Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains to Jockey's Ridge on the Outer Banks. About half the trail is completed.

Chris_Asheville
01-27-2009, 12:21
That's great to hear. I love this trail. It's challenging and has some incredible stops/views along the way. There needs to be more spots to camp between Mt. Mitchell and Mt. Pisgah, it's pretty limited.. If you haven't yet visited this trail, I suggest you give it a try. It's a less crowded alternative to the AT.

grizzlyadam
01-27-2009, 12:54
If you haven't yet visited this trail, I suggest you give it a try. It's a less crowded alternative to the AT.

don't tell everyone that secret!

Sly
01-27-2009, 14:40
That's great to hear. I love this trail. It's challenging and has some incredible stops/views along the way. There needs to be more spots to camp between Mt. Mitchell and Mt. Pisgah, it's pretty limited..

Huh? I mostly day hiked this section, but it looked like you can throw you tarp or tent up pretty much any where you wanted.

MOWGLI
01-27-2009, 14:53
Kate Dixon is the first Executive Director that the FMST has ever had. She is the real deal! Congrats to the good folks at FMST!

dradius
01-27-2009, 14:57
Very nice. It is always refreshing to see positive land acquisitions. This trail is definitely on my list.

FritztheCat
01-27-2009, 15:26
Here's a website I found for the trail: http://www.ncmst.org/

Definitely on my list of things to do.

MOWGLI
01-27-2009, 15:27
If I give $20 to FMST, is there anyone out there who will match it? Lets set a goal of 10 people and $200. Who's in?

hopefulhiker
01-27-2009, 16:44
I will match it, do you go to the site?

MOWGLI
01-27-2009, 17:57

Not sure I understand your question. The funds would go to the Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail to be spent as they see fit.

Thanks for your willingness to get involved.

Nicksaari
01-27-2009, 18:09
wow, a thousand miles. NC is a wide state, but i guess it meanders and winds. to get to jockeys ridge, i guess you'd have to road hike on 168 or 64 all the way across the sound and then down/up 12?? that sucks. hate what the OBX have become, but the old homestead in Buxton will always be in the family. aquired from a drug addicted member of the Midgett family in the late 1970s - he owed my father about 15,000 dollars of pay, and deeded the home, then of ill repair. in wonderful shape now, and the investment of my father's life! now im getting side tracked. is there a website for the trail, or perhaps a map of the trail? thanks guys!

Johnny Swank
01-27-2009, 18:37
http://www.ncmst.org/

I really, really want to hike/bike this sometime.

FritztheCat
01-27-2009, 18:37

There's a donate button on the right side of the website's home page: http://www.ncmst.org/, if I understand correctly what you're asking.

I'm in for $20.00. :sun

Tennessee Viking
01-27-2009, 23:59
Check with Taba he has the info for a MST thru hike. He is supposed to be releasing a more current MST guide.

I would love to see the NPS build tent platforms or campsites along the trail, or at least make a reservation system like they have in the Smokies. They are just to lazy to maintain them along the parkway so they make the rule you can't park on parkway land. But if you know how to identify parkway property markers, you can step on the other side and tent.

I am really hoping that the FMST Crews will re-route the trail from the parkway at Beacon Heights and have it climb over Grandfather (when NC takes official control over it). That would be an awesome climb and then the walk across the Mile High Swinging Bridge would be fun with a pack.

grizzlyadam
01-28-2009, 13:30
I am really hoping that the FMST Crews will re-route the trail from the parkway at Beacon Heights and have it climb over Grandfather (when NC takes official control over it). That would be an awesome climb and then the walk across the Mile High Swinging Bridge would be fun with a pack.

that would be pretty sweet. you'd miss out on a nice section of the tanawha trail, but the alternative would be awesome.