PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to carry

GeneralLee10
01-27-2009, 19:31
I am sure this has been brought up before but I wanted to ask. What are you going to carry as far as a map and guide book or both? If so what are your choices of items? and how are you going to do it cut the map into sections the whole map? the whole guide book or just the pages you need at that time?

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2009, 19:34
I'll carry a few pages of the guidebook at a time. After all, when I'm in North Carolina, I don't really need to know where the good places to eat are located in Connecticut.

And I always carry current maps of the area I'm hiking in, and the maps are entire, i.e. not cut up or trimmed.

Guidebook pages and maps are swapped out and updated as needed.

Blissful
01-27-2009, 20:38
Maps and ALDHA companion pages

wrongway_08
01-27-2009, 21:23
Only carried the maps.... didnt really need them other then up North NH and above.

For the rest of the trip it would have been easier just to have the Wingfoot book only.

Montana Mac
01-28-2009, 08:27
After all, when I'm in North Carolina, I don't really need to know where the good places to eat are located in Connecticut.

Jack

Are there really any good places to eat in Connecticut ? :D

Tin Man
01-28-2009, 09:27
Jack

Are there really any good places to eat in Connecticut ? :D

Yes, there are. :)

waywardfool
01-28-2009, 11:53
I'm a long-time section hiker, not thru, but like to plan my trips, as far as mileage (based on elevation gains, shelters road crossings, camps, etc) using the elevation profiles. I found this in another post here on WB...it's elevation profiles for the entire AT, all in one .pdf file. 42 pages printed, (it'd be 21 printed front and back). I'd think carrying a few weeks worth, and the others coming in subsequent maildrops, would be helpful.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5125936/Appalachian-Trail-Elevation-Profiles